Project: Digg (custom case) Finished

Updated my site with a pic of the case. Sorry it isn't complete. I ended up scrapping the wire management thing I had going and Newegg sent me the wrong 8800GTS.........TWICE. Apparently nobody cares about PCB colors.

I really wanted that thing done for PDXLAN and it will still be going there tomorrow but it won't be functioning.....I'm guessing that disqualifies me from the CPU mag contest but oh well. It'll still be the best looking case in the room :D

edit: I should also note that while it seems I don't get much done, realize that I work a normal full time job in addition to the hours I put in the shop.

Don't get a lot done??? This project is awesome and awesome projects take time. I know there's a lot of hard work & time that goes into mod's that doesn't translate through the projectlog. That case looks sick and I'm sorry to hear about newegg not caring about pcb colors, I know it's something I consider when choosing among different products.

Wow, gone for a day and the site gets hammered :D The case made it to the show alright. One of the hard drive mounts got jarred too much and fell over inside the case...Not sure if there's any dings on the inside but it's probably fixable.

Didn't win the case mod contest (it wasn't complete obviously so I wasn't counting on it). However I got a lot of positive comments on it and that felt pretty good. Seemed pretty popular. Kerry at Func even sent me a gaming mouse pad overnight to put with the case. He warned me about it being a bit more purple than blue and he was right. Another is getting sent out that's a bit blue-er. Should be here by the time I finish the case.

I'll take a pic of the case tomorrow at the show and post it.

I'll take a pic of the case tomorrow at the show and post it.

Here's Qtip talking to the CPU Magazine judges.

qtip_pdxlan9.jpg

Kuyaglen took a few shots and sent them to me. Here's a few he took that turned out alright. I still have to get a few off my camera so I'll post those later. There's a bunch to post but I'd rather wait till it's finished because there's lots of improvements and touch-ups to be made.

diggpdxlan1.jpg

Disregard the cup in this picture. I put it there in case someone bumped the case. Apparently people can't read the "dont touch please" sign.
diggpdxlan2.jpg

Nice work, we need more pics of the internals..... Also you are young, most have a good flow of money to do that great of work.

Internals weren't done so no pics there for now. Once the case is back today (leaving in a bit to pick it up), I'll clean up the shop a bit and get back to work on it.

As far as the money flow thing goes, far from having a lot of it. You can tell when I do have a lot, as I'll be buying 30" screens and larger LCDtvs :D

Looks nice, i understand about the do not touch, people don't read these days. Thats how you can sell boxes on eBay for more than the price of the thing that should be in the box.

I would touch it.

How's it so shiny and sleek looking even though its wood. :( I would touch the letters and then the case and then the black part and then the panel around the power button.

i would ASK before touching :p and only if my hands were completely clean. as that looks like a fingerprint magnet :p

Kuyaglen, do you follow people from [H] around, or do you just live near every popular LAN? :p

I still couldn't figure out who the guy was that had his arm, elbow-deep into the case. He just reached in there like he was searching for something. Made me a little nervous since I saw it from across the room. I had to go ask WTF he was doing. He's like, "just looking".....uhm.....look with your eyes please.

And you're totally right about fingerprint magnet.

Just like all the signs you see at a car show, "Look and don't touch" "or get the banhammer" :p
bannedrv1.gif

ive just realized how big the pricks that troll digg are 0_0 they called you 15, gay, and made fun of youre case, despite the fact A) they can not do the same. B) theyre probably 14 :p C) and id bet atleast 2 were closet homos. :p

Grats on the publicity :p

It's a lot smaller then I thought. I like that. I was expecting this hulking monster and it actually is a nice size.

Ya when I was at the lan, some of the guys and I were laughing at the comments. That's the internet for ya.

in person, the workmanship and finish on the colors, curves, and the peripherals was just astounding.

Great to see Qtip again, he just needs to bring a working PC next time!

I've already got another mod idea for the next pdxlan. Not sure if it'd be allowed in the show though...but we'll save that for another thread :D

I've already got another mod idea for the next pdxlan. Not sure if it'd be allowed in the show though...but we'll save that for another thread :D

go ahead and link that thread here. lol what did you do?

has anyone already done a case mod that looks like the [H] symbol? doesn't look like it'd be as hard to do.

diggpdxlan2.jpg

What happened to the blue plexi for the VFD? :(
Looks great QTIP!!!!
Really looking forward to this thing lit up

LOL I knew you'd be looking for me. The acrylic just wasn't on it. I'm not sure if I'm using the blue or not though. The bronze transparent looks 100x better than the blue. The blue looks fine but my blue paint looks odd next to it. Almost makes things look purple. Believe me, I was trying to get it all ready for the show. Too little time.

It is, however, on now. Tonight I'm working on tolerances and the stud that broke off from the hard drive mounts. The wires will be back in shortly. I decided to make my own power supply casing.

Looking good!

Did you spray the pearl clear straight on the keyboard keys? Any adhesion promoter or anything?

Also (if you don't mind sharing), I noticed you painted laptop trackpads/buttons on your site. I'm assuming bc/cc (omni as well?) for the topcoats... but what kind of primer do you prefer on plastics (I'm assuming you aren't using polyester for everything)? And how well does everything hold up on the trackpad surfaces? Sorry for the 20 questions... I'm just getting started playing with proper paints and could use all the advice I can get.

thanks

So... trade secrets I take it? ;)

So... trade secrets I take it? ;)

Sorry I missed it the first time. I don't really have any secrets :D The keys were scuffed, cleaned, and cleared w/ a pearl additive. No adhesion promoter.

As far as primer goes, it depends on what you're priming. I typically stick to OMNI SV primer for my cheap stuff and PPG K36 or 38 for more important parts.

Trackpads vary. Some work with the paint and some don't. Newer ones with the scroll stuff I usually don't touch. Everything else, just scuff/base/clear. However most people prefer the clear to have a flattening agent in it (to whatever degree) so their fingers slide across it the same. Gloss + trackpad = kinda annoying.

As far as paint goes in general, what I've used has worked thus far but I'm far from perfect. So my advice isn't always perfect either.

I know most of you are looking for an update but I don't have one. I had to add on a 1/2" to the power supply and rework the piping in the case. Will repaint that stuff tomorrow and I'm planning the pictures for the end of the week.

Till then, I'm about to blow a fuse here because nobody on this planet seems to have a black PCB 8800GTS for sale (640mb). Newegg sent me two green ones. How irritating is that. All of their pictures seem to be showing black PCBs but they show up green. Got one card already, need another just in case I go for SLI (technically they block too many PCI slots for this case but that's another story).

Anyway, if anyone knows of a place that can verify they're black pcbs, I need to get one here asap. Luckily I don't need to do any mod work on the card, otherwise I'd be pissed at this point.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a place that can verify they're black pcbs, I need to get one here asap. Luckily I don't need to do any mod work on the card, otherwise I'd be pissed at this point.

The BFG are black, and I think Asus aswell. Atleast those I've looked at.
But definately BFG..

edit: Click here for an image of BFG 8800GTX, GTS has same PCB color.

I've built a few systems with both of them. (Not for myself but for customers)

Most of the black GTS's have turned up green lately which is why I'm hesitant to order either. BFG's (while they were black) are green according to newegg.

I had a good deal on a gtx the other day but passed since it would be a tight fit in the case.

It's almost impossible to find the black models now unless you find a used.
They are no longer made as of december, 2006. ;)

Back