.:: ~ PROJECT: BLU ~ ::. pics, pics, pics

em00guy said:
Here is the grill with the accessory door open It will be convenient there. I will replace the mic and headphone port with an Xbox controller port so I can use my Xbox controller on my pc.

i know i'm going WAY off topic, and really great modding idea btw, but you can buy an xbox usb controller adapter, and download XBCD drivers, and that way you can avoid all that trouble of putting an xbox port there. i got mine at www.liksang.com

just search xbox usb adapter and you should find it no problem. i got 2 of em, and it's great for emulators and sometimes FPS.

THE CASE LOOKS AWESOME! and i agree with putting those cones on the fans so it looks like jets n stuff..... (i dont know much about planes)

ralfyboy said:
i know i'm going WAY off topic, and really great modding idea btw, but you can buy an xbox usb controller adapter, and download XBCD drivers, and that way you can avoid all that trouble of putting an xbox port there. i got mine at www.liksang.com

just search xbox usb adapter and you should find it no problem. i got 2 of em, and it's great for emulators and sometimes FPS.

THE CASE LOOKS AWESOME! and i agree with putting those cones on the fans so it looks like jets n stuff..... (i dont know much about planes)
Thats the plan. I just want to mount the port in the small door.

FPS on joypad??? Are you insane???

Anyway, the Xbox joypad is a usb device (well two really). Even the colour of the wires are the same (there is a yellow one extra on the Xbox). Just trim that yellow one back, and hook up the leads exactly as you would for a usb port. I did, used Cuxctrl, and I have 2 Gamester Arcade Sticks on one PC in the front room (for Mame), and one on my main rig for loads of stuff (BUT NOT FPS! :D ). A grand total of 89p (plus cost of the controllers).

I can't vouch for other controllers, but the Gamester Arcade Sticks suck 400mA and do work (but more than one on a hub requires extra power). The Logic3 Arcade stick does not work (untested with a powered hub).

That's amazing! I can't believe you wound your own transformer... I would never try something like that. Looking forward to more progress updates here.

I am watching this thread with anticipation. Wicked work man.

Cheers,

you wouldn't happen to be from New Zealand would you?

seriously though, that thing is freakin crazy. only bad thing about the design that i can see is that you are going to get a lot of cross wind with the blowers firing directly at each other.

but ya like others yave said, you are [H] to wire your own transformer. don't quit though, i need you to finish this project or i'll die.

em00guy said:
.:: IV. Power ::.

I’ve spent the last week attempting to find a solution to power those blowers. I wanted to power them to the 48v which made things difficult. I tried to find some power supplies on ebay but instead an interesting option arose. Under the recommendation of some smart people I’ve decided to build a pulse with modulator to vary the speed and power the whole mess with a modified transformer I fished out of a microwave. The microwave transformer was recommended because it is extremely heavy duty and can supply more amperage that I’d ever need. One problem though. I only need 48v, my microwave transformer supplied 2000v. So I found some instructions online on how to rewind a microwave transformer to supply lower voltages at higher amps. I’ll be removing the secondary winding and rewinding it with 13 gauge enameled magnet wire. Here are some pics.

The freshly liberated transformer on a text book for scale. This damn thing weighs at least 10 pounds.
http://www.thedigitalself.com/images/blu/DCP_1139.jpg

Removed the insulation paper from the secondary. The thick wire is the 120v primary the fine wire is the 2000v secondary. That’s what I have to remove.
[IMG]http://www.thedigitalself.com/images/blu/DCP_1142.jpg

Started at it with a hacksaw.
[IMG]http://www.thedigitalself.com/images/blu/DCP_1144.jpg
After 1 hour of sawing I made it through.
[IMG]http://www.thedigitalself.com/images/blu/DCP_1145.jpg
This is when I realized all that sawing was for nothing. I simply pulled out my jig saw and lopped the whole mess off.
[IMG]http://www.thedigitalself.com/images/blu/DCP_1146.jpg[/QUOTE]

if those blowers use brushless motors, though they probably don't given their size, i would rethink the PWM controller. they tend to make brushless motors hum like you wouldn't believe.

nice fans:D just make sure you don't put casters on the bottom of the case or it will pull itself along. could be interesting though...

good luck!

jkr266 said:
if those blowers use brushless motors, though they probably don't given their size, i would rethink the PWM controller. they tend to make brushless motors hum like you wouldn't believe.

Yeah i noticed a terrible buzz at lower duty cycles. i'm going to try to increase the frequency. I was told this might help. If this doesn't work i'll try a voltage regualation circuit. but this will generate alot of heat.

Wow, didn't think those things could run on such a small circuit - the other guy with those blowers originally (@ocforums) had a PWM controller that was much bulkier.

Other than that, its looking great so far. If it turns out half as good as that picture, you'll have a great case.

HiProfile said:
Wow, didn't think those things could run on such a small circuit - the other guy with those blowers originally (@ocforums) had a PWM controller that was much bulkier.

Other than that, its looking great so far. If it turns out half as good as that picture, you'll have a great case.

yeah, greenman or vonaaker, one of those two. Whats funny is my circuit is twice as powerfull. howeve,r mine was custom designed for high power/voltage appications.

Hey, very good job. I like your multimeter very much ( it's the same as mine).

multimeter.jpg

Ok, so I’m experiencing a small technical difficulty. As I was warned by another forum patron, the PWM circuit is causing a horrible buzz with my fan motors. So, I’ll spend the next few days researching a solution. Until then, I have started on another blower related mod that I think is very unique. I’m still working on the details so I won’t reveal the precise nature of my latest feat of hackerjackery. Instead I’ll post a pic of the ingredients and challenge you to deduce what concoction is a brew. The first to get it correct wins 1 free transformer winding...w00t, I guess ???

Hmm, what is he up to???
DCP_1224.jpg

volts + amps on each blower (duh) (dont forget you cant hook thos up directly!!)

and the parabolic mirors... on the ends of the blowers? spinning? oh that would be too cool

and for varing the motor speed... VAC transformer... IE Varable Alternating Current... basicly has a moving winding to change the output voltage.

Ok, so I’m experiencing a small technical difficulty. As I was warned by another forum patron, the PWM circuit is causing a horrible buzz with my fan motors. So, I’ll spend the next few days researching a solution.

Since you wound your own transformer secondary, with a bit of rework you can take taps out at the voltages you want for your fan and use a simple multiway switch to control fan speed.

Rondu said:
Since you wound your own transformer secondary, with a bit of rework you can take taps out at the voltages you want for your fan and use a simple multiway switch to control fan speed.

very true, but that would not be as much fun

1 Word: W0W

I commend you on your performance so far. I can't wait to see the finished product. :D

First, a great looking mod/design.

Second, as far as voltage control goes, couldn't you use something like what is used for race car sets. The ones that look like guns. I believe they just use a coiled wire to control the voltage with a slide to control how far along the coil the electricity has to travel. Voila, instant volt control. At least I think that's how they work. COrrect me if I'm wrong.

Steelmind said:

Second, as far as voltage control goes, couldn't you use something like what is used for race car sets. The ones that look like guns. I believe they just use a coiled wire to control the voltage with a slide to control how far along the coil the electricity has to travel. Voila, instant volt control. At least I think that's how they work. COrrect me if I'm wrong.

What your describing sounds like a variable transformer. That was also an option but they usually go from 0 - 120v which is too much. Although i already built my pwm i'll look into the rc thing. incase this doesn't work out.

Steelmind said:

AFAIK that is a resistive system, like a good ol' potentiometer, where the unneeded energy is basically given off as heat. Not a big deal with little tiny race cars, but with those monster turbines... meltdown?
Anyway a PWM circuit is by far a much more elegant solution, and wastes a lot less power.

very true, but that would not be as much fun
Maximum fun is important, but don't dismiss this too quickly. A hand wound multi-tap transformer for speed control will be:
· a modding first AFAIK (PWM is old news)
· by far the most efficient way to control voltage and fan speed
· foolproof (definitely no humming)
· cheap (except for your labor)

Rondu said:
Maximum fun is important, but don't dismiss this too quickly. A hand wound multi-tap transformer for speed control will be:
· a modding first AFAIK (PWM is old news)
· by far the most efficient way to control voltage and fan speed
· foolproof (definitely no humming)
· cheap (except for your labor)

you make a very convincing point. I'm having noise issues with my pwm right now. if i can't resolve them then your idea is a definite possibility.

em00guy said:
you make a very convincing point. I'm having noise issues with my pwm right now. if i can't resolve them then your idea is a definite possibility.

This can mostly be resolved by modifying the shape of the PWM signal. Smoothing the signal from a square-wave to it being more sinusoidal will really decrease the noise. Please see this PDF for more info.
:D

bluesol said:
This can mostly be resolved by modifying the shape of the PWM signal. Smoothing the signal from a square-wave to it being more sinusoidal will really decrease the noise. Please see this PDF for more info.

wow, this looks like an very helpful read. thanks alot. However, if i end up buying an osciloscope because of you i'll redirect my girlfriends hollering to you PM. * heads to office to dust off his trig*

That is a good read blusol, I am working on a PWM circuit myself. But em00guy you should note that your fans pull 2A each and the note says"For very large fans (more than 500 mA operating current), DC speed control may be required." Anyway good luck.

Rondu said:
That is a good read blusol, I am working on a PWM circuit myself. But em00guy you should note that your fans pull 2A each and the note says"For very large fans (more than 500 mA operating current), DC speed control may be required." Anyway good luck.

Wow that was an excellent read. and I noticed that rondu. I'm hoping i might be able to adjust the cap values to compensate for my greater load. I tested with a 220uf cap and that eliminates the motor buzzing but i could fry a falafal on the mosfet because it's trying to discharge the cap at low duty cycles. So i'm off to find some < 50uf 100v caps and i'll let you guys know. Thanks again blusol

bluesol said:

Ok, i've been working on the pwm circuit all week and i finally got it COMPLETELY silent. The pdf blusol gave me was excellent so i passed it by my pwm guru Gary, who recommended some modifications for the 3 amp blowers and, Wham, it worked. I used a 1.0uf mylar capacitor and a 1k resistor. The only issue i'm now left with is my mosfet on which i could fry chicken if i so chose. So it's off to the junkyard to find an old stereo with a giant heatsink.Stay tuned for i have an interesting new mod i'll be posting.

This is getting interesting ... I think I am going to have to stay tuned to this [H] mod

Ok, I had a discrete Mathematics and Algorithms and data structures test in the same week and a birthday on tuesday so I’ve been a bit occupied, hence the absence (got a Dremel 400xpr from the honey :-p ). Nevertheless, work has commenced. Let’s see, where were we. Ah, yes. Thanks to a very clever paper I read on pwm noise reduction and some very helpful assistance from Gary my pwm guy, I was able to modify my circuit to the effect of eliminating nearly all the audible noise. It’s a very good read if you’re interested. It was presented to me by blusol here at hardforums. Here it is if you so fancy a night of tinkerin’ with sinusoidal functions...and who doesn’t. Next weekend I’ll be making the circuit board for the pwm, I’ll be running stress tests on the circuit till then. In the mean time I began construction on what I’m calling the blower health panels. The panels are essentialy four heavily modified panel meters mounted in 45 degree recesses on the top left and right of the case. These meters will monitor the current draw and voltage of the two blowers thus giving an indication of their relative health. If one motor begins to fail the panel meters will begin to take peculiar readings and I’ll know it’s time to replace it.

My profound apologies for having to subject you once more to my illustrations, but I must post this to give you an idea of my concept. In the final manifestation I’ll attempt to round off those harsh edges with some body filler.
sidepanels.jpg

The pictures I posted earlier of the mystery mod ingredients should now begin to make some sense. These are 2” blind spot mirrors I got from AutoZone. With the mirror removed they make an excellent housing for my meters.
DCP_1227.jpg

I used the circular mirror as a trace for the piece of plexi that will form the meter cover.
DCP_1228.jpg

The plexi was cut using with a metal grinding bit then ground into shape with a stone grinding bit. I had to use this peculiar mounting for my rotary tool in order to properly grind the edges. My 400xpr doesn’t get here till Thursday, it comes with a circle cutting kit.
DCP_1231.jpg

Cutout the hole for the uh...meter guts.
DCP_1234.jpg

A pic of a disassembled voltmeter.
DCP_1236.jpg

I shaped the rear housing out of the old panel meter housing
DCP_1240.jpg

A paper print out of the test façade for the new meter.
DCP_1237.jpg

A test fitting
DCP_1238.jpg

Here is a closer look at the nearly completed test meter next to its former self. You cannot quite see it in this pic but there is a plexi shield on the meter. In the final product I will paint the black casing and paint a mask over the area of plexi showing the uhhh...meter guts.
DCP_1243.jpg

Here are the four current full color designs for the panel facades. They will be printed on a high quality stock with a very high resolution photo printer.
Voltmeter1.jpg

Voltmeter2.jpg

Ammeter1.jpg

Ammeter2.jpg

I’ll be finishing the rest of the meters when my Dremel arrives as to take advantage of the circle cutter. I thought this mod might catch on so I’ll be willing to write a more detailed tut if anyone needs. Till then.

rofl, meter guts. :)

Those decals for the meters look rad. I was skeptical of this mod when it started, but you definitely got a good head on you to make this mod so :cool:

btw, you're taking some pretty advanced math courses. Algorithms are used a lot in programming, right? What do you plan to do for a living/what do you do for a living?

wood said:
rofl, meter guts. :)

Those decals for the meters look rad. I was skeptical of this mod when it started, but you definitely got a good head on you to make this mod so :cool:

btw, you're taking some pretty advanced math courses. Algorithms are used a lot in programming, right? What do you plan to do for a living/what do you do for a living?

Thanks for the compliments. Well, technically algorithms are used in everyday life. an algorithm is just a step by step instruction set for solving a problem. In computer science algorithms tend to inherit a mathematical manifistation but they don't have to. I'm a computer science student now and I run a small bussiness called the digital self (thedigitalself.com) through which I design web applications for clients. When I finish school i'll prbably turn the digital self into a mathemetics/computer science reaserch firm because I think I'd make a better scientist than a business man. I also think id make a better fry cook than a scientist but that story is for another day.

em00guy said:
Thanks for the compliments. Well, technically algorithms are used in everyday life. an algorithm is just a step by step instruction set for solving a problem. In computer science algorithms tend to inherit a mathematical manifistation but they don't have to. I'm a computer science student now and I run a small bussiness called the digital self (thedigitalself.com) through which I design web applications for clients. When I finish school i'll prbably turn the digital self into a mathemetics/computer science reaserch firm because I think I'd make a better scientist than a business man. I also think id make a better fry cook than a scientist but that story is for another day.
Sounds pretty cool. But don't fool yourself: I know several scientists who are simultaneously fantastic fry cooks :p :D

em00guy said:

Perhaps you could research the Science of Fry Cooking. I'm sure mcdonalds would be interested, or kfc. :p

Back