Project: Beast III

n00btard said:
teacher: "A before O or up you go." in Oxy-Acetylene torch class. Light acetylene first, or 20% of the school goes up in flames if you feed pressurized oxygen to a friction lighter.

stupid kid hated by all 2500 students in school: HAD THE OXYGEN VALVE OPEN, ACETYLENE CLOSED. TRIED TO LIGHT THE FUCKER.
Holy crap. That's pretty much what killed the Apollo 1 astronauts. That'd be a problem.

Welding, brazing or anything requiring burning is a completely different beast than traditional machining. People who can wield a torch (effectively) are in a class by themselves.

Steven

I took a shop class in the eighth grade. I sucked horribly at weilding and cutting. The only reason I passed the class was because I did all the teacher's computer work. :)

Stevennoland said:
Welding, brazing or anything requiring burning is a completely different beast than traditional machining. People who can wield a torch (effectively) are in a class by themselves.

Steven
I have some experience using a forge, doing blacksmithing, there was only 4 students in my class that day, so I asked the teacher if we could play with the forge. Long story short, I'm glad I live in this era, blacksmithing sucks, too much work.

I knew with the long weekend, I would get something for the "Beast' done. On with the pics (and some description).

Here is a repost of the picture of the CAD drawing I did for 'Doorrad'
temp001.jpg

And another repost of a shot of the front door
doorrad001.jpg

Well, I got around to cutting the 'B3' out. I had to order a 12" x 24" x .470" piece of plexiglass for this operation. I started by clamping the door face down on the plexi on the namual mill. I then had to align the door to the X axis. I then picked up the centerline (middle of the door) for the X and Y axis.

The first step was to drill 24 .089" holes (you can see their locations in most of the pics, there the little silver specks) thru the door only (about .150" thick). These were to clear the 2-56 screws that were to help hold the door in place while cutting and drilling. These same holes will be tapped to a 4-40 thread to hold the rounds and fins of the 'Doorrad' in place. Next, in the same locations as the .089" holes, I drilled and tapped for a 2-56 screw.

The first cuttings for the 'B3' were the twelve 1" round holes for the rounds. I drilled them 31/32" and then bored them out to 1.005". Next, I used a 2 flute endmill to rough and finish the slots.

If it looks backwards it's because it is. Your looking at the back of the door.
doorrad002.jpg

doorrad003.jpg

close-up's
doorrad004.jpg

doorrad005.jpg

doorrad006.jpg

doorrad007.jpg

Here is a shot with the protective paper still on the plexi
doorrad008.jpg

Revealed! (Yea, that's my Homer toolbox from Home Depot in back)
doorrad009.jpg

doorrad010.jpg

Here is the door removed from the plexi (looks wierd without the letter B portions
doorrad011.jpg

close-up '3'
doorrad012.jpg

'B' (partial).
doorrad013.jpg

Here is a shot of the remnants from cutting the slots.
doorscrap001.jpg

All told, this operation took about six hours to complete (that's cleaning off the mill table to removal).

Comms and crits welcomed.

Stay tuned!

Steven

I know what you mean. My dad still farms and was a bus mechanic for 32 years. He can burn the hairs off a gnat's ass with a torch and cuts most everything by hand with it or the plasma. I have never seen anyone do what he does.

Still looks awesome. I hate to be selfish, but I have been thinking about those finned tubes ever since I saw them. They bug me not knowing where they are from! :confused: :(

Yeah, I'm a loser...... :p

dasilva333 said:
dude when are we getting an update?!? i miss the updates
Steve is evil, isn't he. Like a drug dealer, making us wait for our fix... I am getting all jittery already. I need an update ;)

Geezus man, I'm insanely jealous, but also in awe.

What do you do for a living?
Do you own your own full fab-shop?
How long you been working with mills/machining?

Sorry if they've been asked already, but damn. Lots to be impressed with here. Not only the design but also how perfect that machine work is.

98EXL said:
not to be a smart ass, but of course it's perfect, a machine did it :p
:D

My response would simply be, cars are also machines, but why is everyone's driving never perfect?

jreffy said:
My response would simply be, cars are also machines, but why is everyone's driving never perfect?

hahahha i think his point was that the modder himself is a machine. he is the T1000, with lazer accuracy depth perception in his eyes able to calculate the shapes and sizes of his cuts. for htat matter, who even believed he did this stuff on a drill press? not me! his right arm hosts a selection of tools and drill bits and his elbow is able to reconfigure itself and lock into 90º positions for making such precision cuts.

you didn't see that?

seems like your beats III is coming a long nicely. been waching this worklog for a while now and still can't belive the quality of your moding skills, your in a wayyyyyyy..... different leaque than other modders here. keep it up dude.

/me waits for Qtip42, mashie, CrimsonSky, and others to get their torches and pitchforks.

This case mod is awesome!

If possible, could you post this on the MaximumPC forums, I'm sure the other members would love to see Beast 3.

Nice work!

Not checked this project out for a wee while, but I see it just gets better and better! :)

Keep up the good work. :)

I read through this entire worklog yesterday, and all I can say is wow.

This is absolutely amazing. Beautiful work, I will be watching.

fucking beautiful! im loving some of your ideas! i think you should leave allot of things black, and use different lighting or some color trim to accent the main features..!

one thing that would definately be cool, would be to light the water going through the psu mount you made so it would light the plexy and the hose also, just enuff to give it a glow like it's electrified ! maybe some cool blue not a uv/ultra blue

This build shows such awesome engineering and the builder pays so much attention to detail that it's a shame that this post is going the way of the dinosaur like so many other good builds. I wouldn't think so if the builder was posting every now and then just to say that more was on it's way, but I've been watching this since the beginning and this is definitely the longest dry spell. I hope I'm wrong. :(

kamikazi said:
This build shows such awesome engineering and the builder pays so much attention to detail that it's a shame that this post is going the way of the dinosaur like so many other good builds. I wouldn't think so if the builder was posting every now and then just to say that more was on it's way, but I've been watching this since the beginning and this is definitely the longest dry spell. I hope I'm wrong. :(

Engineering? You mean machinin/designing. He never really engineered anything special.

Edit: I mean I guess you could say that but imo its not the best way to articulate what you were tryung to say.

I disagree.
Plenty of engineering went into the w/c alone, not to mention the overall case design from a fit and function standpoint.

Just my opinion though.

And please, throw us a bone, we've been waiting... need updates....

Eh, I'm not too worried. Bailing out now would be like leaving a skyscraper half built.

If I was him I would finish it just because of all the work he's already put into it.

Electric Boogaloo said:
Eh, I'm not too worried. Bailing out now would be like leaving a skyscraper half built.

If I was him I would finish it just because of all the work he's already put into it.

Heh nice analogy... and it's so true

The time to beg is no more! After 2 and half months, I have something worth posting. Not that I have been laxing off these past 75 days (life does intrude), but work has been busy and I went back to night school (CAD/CAM associate program). Anyway, thanks for all the nice comments. I'm sorry to keep you all waiting, but my degree of workmanship doesn't come quick or easy. On with the update!!

I have been pushing hard to get 'Doorrad' done. The ammount of work needed to finish this project was way beyond my imagination! I'm never doing this type of thing again (the 'Doorrad' anyway). The first update may seem a little vague, but near the end of the second update it will make more sense. The 'Doorrad' needs to ba affixed to the door, so I created these mounts:

I started with 3/8" x 3/4" aluminum bar stock. I then machined about three 6" long bars to .250" thick by .641" and another three 6" bars to .250" thick by .466" . From these I machined 14 blocks to .250" x .635" x .641". The blocks:
doorradmount001.jpg

doorradmount002.jpg

doorradmount003.jpg

I then machined some shorter blocks to .250" x .466" x .635":
doorradmount004.jpg

The difference in height:
doorradmount005.jpg

I then drilled an 1/8" hole on centerline with the .250" dimension and .125" from the end:
doorradmount006.jpg

Next, I drilled another 1/8" hole .150" from the end:
doorradmount007.jpg

The lot:
doorradmount008.jpg

doorradmount009.jpg

I then removed the excess material to leave an 'L' type bracket and counterbored the holes for some 4-40 socket head cap screws (from now on SHCS):
doorradmount020.jpg

doorradmount010.jpg

So the 'L' mounts would align to the doorrounds, I bored a half moon on the seating surface:
doorradmount011.jpg

The short and long
doorradmount012.jpg

Another view
doorradmount013.jpg

Here you can see how it will seat:
doorradmount014.jpg

doorradmount015.jpg

The lot of them:
doorradmount016.jpg

doorradmount017.jpg

Here are some shots to give you a size perspective:
doorradmount018.jpg

doorradmount019.jpg

The next update is to give you an idea of how the 'Doorrad' will look. The first shot is with 20 fins lined up between two rounds:
doorradassy001.jpg

Close-up:
doorradassy002.jpg

In this shot you can see how the inner hubs will line up (look at the 4th or 5th slot from the left):
doorradassy003.jpg

Another view:
doorradassy004.jpg

In this shot is the same rounds and fins placed in the door. In the final assembly the fins will protrude out from the door face about an 1/8" more than what you see here (also, there will be more rounds and 213 fins total):
doorradassy005.jpg

Close-ups
doorradassy006.jpg

doorradassy007.jpg

doorradassy008.jpg

In this shot is how the 'L' brackets will hold the rounds (this is just to give you an idea, and the 4-40 holes have yet to be put in the rounds):
doorradassy009.jpg

doorradassy010.jpg

Here is a shot of one of the rounds that will require a long and a short 'L' bracket:
doorradassy011.jpg

In this shot is how the rounds will look when the 'L' bracket is secured in place (the 'L' bracket will sit flush with the end of the round):
doorradassy012.jpg

That is all I have done so far. I hope you all can kinda see how this will look. Also, imagine the fins in red and the rounds in either red or black (I haven't decided yet).
Also, the front of the rounds will be rounded to match the curvature of the fins.

Thanks, and please stay tuned!!

Steven

Kudos to you *bowing*.

I wish I had the money, time, and the tools to be able to make something like this...

ZOMFG I totally forgot about this project, that's so beast looking no pun intended

I just messed my pants again. Please ignore me....... :eek:

Seriously, you rule. This is way beyond awesome...... I love it.

In my haste to show off, I forgot the 'Doorrad' tubes. Enjoy!

This pic is a repost, it's the aluminum and copper tube stock:
radtubes001.jpg

Here is a shot of all the tubes going into the 'Doorrad' (15 copper and 27 aluminum)
radtubes002.jpg

Some close-ups:
radtubes003.jpg

radtubes004.jpg

radtubes005.jpg

I wish I had one of the fins with the holes in it so I could show you how it will fit together.

I'm going to try and drill one so you can get a rough idea.

Steven

Great work, man hope to see more. Do you still think you'll hit your Christmas completetion date you mentioned a while back. (man I can't believe I've been following this project this long already).

Oh by the way, there's a new rule that we can't sign our posts anymore.

Back