Project: Batman Begins (completed!!!)

I was envisioning a Matte or semi-gloss/matte combo in painting... glossy isn't stealth... batman is stealth... I'll have to watch how it turns out *like I wasn't before :)*

Ya I can't wait either, when is this guy gonna finish this case? it's been what like 8 months now? GEEZE!

:D

Getting things prepped for painting right now (little parts). I need to finish working on one of the the hard drive mounts, the centerpiece, and finally the lid. Sounds simple enough...

Qtip42 said:
Ya I can't wait either, when is this guy gonna finish this case? it's been what like 8 months now? GEEZE!

Still hasen't been a long as the Doom3 case, CRIMSON SKY!!!

Still hasen't been a long as the Doom3 case, CRIMSON SKY!!!

LOL, ain't that the truth. I remember how he was trying to get it "finished before Christmas..." in 2004! :p Although it is a very complicated, impressive mod... Doom 3 is mostly forgotten by now.

My wife and I just saw Batman: Begins the other day at the $1 movie theatre... seems most people have forgotten about it by now. :(

All I can say is WOW! :eek: I just skimmed through this thread and saw all the progress from the early pics and I am just impressed beyond belief. You are doing one hell of a job on it and I am anxious as much as everyone else here to see it when its finished. Keep up the awesome work man!

PS. How are you going to open it if anything breaks down? Do you have secret doors or anything? Or do you have to take off the whole top?

Gotta take the entire top off DangerIsGo. It's held on by thumbscrews in the back.

I will make a prediction that this case will be done before december 2004........actually if it's not done by the end of october, I'm doing something wrong.

If people would stop calling me for other tech support work, I'd get it done faster :D A lot of it is just painting (that's left to do). I was sleeving all of the power supply wires today (black) in between fixing other comps.

Very slick looking so far. My 8 year old son walked up behind me when I was looking it over this morning & said "WOW, that is so cool!!!" Then again, anything Batman related gets that response from him. :D

Side Note: It sure would be nice IMHO if we could lock our own threads in this section to keep the logs from getting to be 50+ pages long, with only 10-20 posts of actual worklog updates.

Qtip42 said:
I will make a prediction that this case will be done before december 2004........actually if it's not done by the end of october, I'm doing something wrong.

Hey, wanna make a bet? lol

Maybe December this year.

Take your time with it...quality jobs like this deserve the extra time.

Everybody knows painting only takes what 10 minutes....'course most of them don't realize the weeks of prep work that goes on before the paint ever gets picked up off the shelf....

Painted like 6 or so parts other day (black). However it looks like there's gonna be some cutting and buffing to do. Also finished wiring up the 2nd HDD mount. No pics yet, I've been away from the shop doing work on cars that need restoring. Will probably have something for you guys saturday.

Ok no go on the parts. I took a closer look at them today only to find that the clear had some white specks in it and they don't come out just by wetsanding. So that means reshoot! I guess it isn't a huge deal since I was going to paint black next week on some other stuff but it is quite annoying to have to paint the same things twice.

So I scuffed up the parts and for kicks I put a few of them in place. I left out the hard drive mounts and the power supply cover. Nothing special in these pics but you can kinda see how it's going to go together.

scuffed1.jpg

scuffed2.jpg

SpangeMonkee said:
the electrical tape really sets this mod off. :)

Ooooo :p I used electrical tape to cover any sharp points that could potentially hit painted parts and/or the case itself.

They'll be removed obviously.

Its been so long this project has lost its fizz. Pointless being a sticky (pinned) topic imvho.

If it takes him till next year who cares as long as it ends up looking sweet. This project has so much potential....you cant rush a artist.

Still looking sweet Qtip!

I taped up the backside of the case to keep it from being powdercoated so it's still bare. I did the last of the work on the I/O panel tonight so now I can paint both the backside and the I/O cover at the same time. All of the screws will be threadlocked, bondo'ed over, and painted. You will probably only see 2-3 screw heads (in case you have to take it apart) along with the 8 thumbscrews that hold the lid on. The line where the powdercoat meets the paint will be pinstriped over (even though you probably will never see the backside). Even though it's meant to be wall mounted, I'm going to make a stand for the case. The final pics of it probably wont show it wall mounted but it will sit up higher than the monitor/lcd/plasma/whatever so you can still see it. It's kinda hard to miss since it's more than twice the size of any computer screen.

Speaking of screens. Anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking a large LCD TV but nothing bigger than 50" because the case stands at 55" wide. Otherwise maybe a dell 2405? or two?

batman415hq.jpg

I know you guys are thinking game play with the 2405's but I'm thinkin more artsy. Nobody likes the idea of a large LCDtv? Imagine a white room, white sofa, black tv, black comp, black kb/mouse, glass monitor stand? yes no?

get the 43" pioneer plasma, which is the best quality hdtv plasma out there, or the aquos 45" lcd which is 1080p compatible and amazing quality and looks.
however the pioneers is gloss black and therefore fitting with the batman case...
f

eh... i GUESS a big ass LCD TV would be good aswell, i dont know why people like them, the ones i see around future shop and the like look really grainy >_< mabye its different on a real HDTV feed... (these werent cheap either, they were REALLY expensive sony ones...)

I'm kinda new to this thread, Though from reviewing the previous posts this project look's AMAZING, keep up the good work! Any chance you could tell us how (unless i missed it in an earlier post) and where you got the parts reroute all the connectors to the back of the case from the motherboard and video card?

You can get the any cable you want custom made or you can splice them yourself. I did a bit of both.

Where did the DVI output come from? There was a worklog mod for a Q-Pack case on here that needed one, but I couldn't find one and neither could the Q-Pack modder.

Well, put my vote in for a decent LCD TV. Of all the ones I've seen they all look better to me. Every plasma screen I've had the opportunity to watch for a while looks blurry. Course, maybe it's just me.

dude, ima have to advise the FPW's again as i just spent like 9 hours on one 0_0

one word... wait, its not even a word...

*drools*

You guys realize I dont play games right? At most, I'm using it for nice photographs and then I dunno. However I'm sure if it went to a lan party it'd have to be game-able.

Qtip42 said:
You guys realize I dont play games right? At most, I'm using it for nice photographs and then I dunno. However I'm sure if it went to a lan party it'd have to be game-able.
So? I say that you should buy the Batman Begins DVD and play it on the monitors as a final picture. As well, I would send the pictures of the project to something like Wired Magazine, PCWorld. Or anyother respectable computing magazine.

Ok after a bit of delay I finally got the 6 or so parts I painted last week, repainted. One had a reaction spot on one of the hard drive mounts but I have to paint one more time next week (the entire case needs to be cleared) so I'll paint it then.

Black is a helluva color to paint bleh.

uzor said:
Well, put my vote in for a decent LCD TV. Of all the ones I've seen they all look better to me. Every plasma screen I've had the opportunity to watch for a while looks blurry. Course, maybe it's just me.

Hey look I'm a plasma screen.. oh I'm tilting oh oh oh PWN3D. Darn I tilted it past 30 degrees, your tv is now trash. LCD is the only way to go, rear projection, dlp, plasma suck.

Back