Project: Batman Begins (completed!!!)

Nice Qtip42, I'm glad I have plenty of 120mm fans. ;) That and time as well. In a week or so I'll be able to buy some Safety Glasses that will fit over My perscription glasses so that I can get My simple project(Joker: Clown Prince of Crime;)) assembled and running for the time being, Then somewhat later when I have enough money I'll install a window in the case door. :D Beyond that I don't know. :cool:

In case you guys missed it, the webcam is now on (though somewhat slow for the time being). The link is on the front of www.computer-choppers.com (it'll say cam online when I'm on). Days and hours: Monday-Saturday 9am-7pm PST (Things always come up though so I'm not always there 100%).

It's not exactly exciting to watch but at least you get to see something.

edit: link fixed on the front page for the webcam.

Qtip42 said:
Ah there we go...Still haven't cut out the vent though. Can't decide whether I should punch some slots or just cut out a square and put some mesh. .

if you care: I vote for square cut with mesh, which is classier imho!

Ya I fixed the link. I also need a new position for the cam (above the desk) and a 2nd or 3rd cam so you can see what's going on when I leave the main counter.

watching the cam right now... I'm waiting for you to fall down from leaning too far over on that stool ... lol jk :D...

Oh Crap I think I missed it... last time I looked he was there and now I look back and not even the stool is there... Oh well... be safe...

It looks like you're soldering and heatshinking something... what is it?
1:14Pm Labor Day

lol that stool sucks. I was splicing a monitor cable because it was too big. Apparently w/o shielding it still works fine. I'm gonna wrap it quick though just to be safe though. The cam is off for a few minutes while I get rid of some spyware that randomly got thrown on the shop comp

No pics as of yet and I have the next 2 days off (for other work) so I won't be posting anything till the weekend time but....

I ported out most of the motherboard ports to the back of the case. Still need to get a 3ft dvi cable (m/f ends) and an s-video cable with m/f ends. Anyone have a good place to find those? The last place I ordered the DVI cable from emailed to say they didn't have it in stock so now I'm back on the hunt.

As far as the rest of the case goes. I'm prepping the body of it to go to the powdercoater. It'll get a gloss black and clear powdercoat. However powdercoats usually suffer from looking orange peely so if this is the case (probably), it'll require me spraying on a clear coat over that.

This weekend will consist of cutting the vents for the video card and cpu. Then finishing off the ducting on the motherboard side. If everything goes well that means mostly everything is ready to go to the powdercoater. Then 2nd hard drive mount led's and the lid of the case.

It's gonna be a long weekend.

Wow, good to see that your still working on this bad boy, but I guess it sure has taken a lot longer than you originally planed eh Qtip.

Majin said:
Wow, good to see that your still working on this bad boy, but I guess it sure has taken a lot longer than you originally planed eh Qtip.

I think total time from idea to completion will be like 8 months which is 7 months too long. In between there I moved houses,got a new shop, and built a car but that's is no excuse....never have and probably never will make a deadline :D

Need to plan a bit better. I'm still up in the air about getting the front of this thing airbrushed with tiny bats flying around everywhere (sorta like what they did in the intro to batman begins). Anyone got other ideas for the airbrushing?

I also ordered a 6ft dvi (m/f ends) cable and a 6ft svideo (m/f) last night. Apparently nobody makes 3ft cable "extensions" anymore. Could get them custom made but what a waste of $.

Qtip42 said:
I think total time from idea to completion will be like 8 months which is 7 months too long. In between there I moved houses,got a new shop, and built a car but that's is no excuse....never have and probably never will make a deadline :D

Need to plan a bit better. I'm still up in the air about getting the front of this thing airbrushed with tiny bats flying around everywhere (sorta like what they did in the intro to batman begins). Anyone got other ideas for the airbrushing?

I also ordered a 6ft dvi (m/f ends) cable and a 6ft svideo (m/f) last night. Apparently nobody makes 3ft cable "extensions" anymore. Could get them custom made but what a waste of $.

maybe a gradient the gets darker towards the bottom using really small bats instead of dots.

fake edit: Got another thread with pics of the car?

SpangeMonkee said:
maybe a gradient the gets darker towards the bottom using really small bats instead of dots.

fake edit: Got another thread with pics of the car?

i was thinking like 1-2" bats in going in all directions and have a transparent "batman begins" in the center. I haven't drawn anything out though so whenever I get around to it i'll decide.

I took some pictures today but they aren't very interesting nor fit for posting so I'll explain them instead :D

Mounted the video card in it's rightful spot. Also cut the vent out for the video card. Decided not to cut one out for the cpu since I'll have a blower fan sucking air from outside and blowing it directly over the cpu hsf (the blower is towards the top of the case and got ducted towards the cpu). Most of the air will move from the left to the right side of the case and out. It probably isn't the most efficient way to do it but it gets the job done I'm sure.

Got my DVI and svideo cable today. I'm not really looking forward to splicing them but there's no way I can fit 12ft worth of dvi and svideo cable in this case. And before you ask, no there isn't anything shorter with the proper ends on them.

Since I'll be working elsewhere thursday and friday, my goal (to get the bat powdercoated) will be moved to monday. While it's gone, I'll work on the minor stuff that needs finishing.

I didn't work today but I did receive my 8x slot load slimline laptop dvdrw. I've had one for a while now but as luck would have it....it broke mysteriously. I used it all of 2 times since I had it :rolleyes:

A laptop burner wasn't my first choice but when I first started the project there was no such thing in 5-1/4 style. Now plextor has a new (within the last few months) slot load burner for 5-1/4 bays (about time too right?!). I wondered why nobody made a slot loading dvd burner all these years...Slot load is the way to go for everything, I'm sick of trays.

Qtip42 said:
I didn't work today but I did receive my 8x slot load slimline laptop dvdrw. I've had one for a while now but as luck would have it....it broke mysteriously. I used it all of 2 times since I had it :rolleyes:

A laptop burner wasn't my first choice but when I first started the project there was no such thing in 5-1/4 style. Now plextor has a new (within the last few months) slot load burner for 5-1/4 bays (about time too right?!). I wondered why nobody made a slot loading dvd burner all these years...Slot load is the way to go for everything, I'm sick of trays.

wouldnt by chance know the model number off hand would you? I would like to put one in my case I'm building. much less cutting that way

The plextor drive is a PX-716AL

The slot load drive I got is a Pioneer DVR-K05

Edit: FAN GIVEAWAY .......you want a 120mm delta fan Randolf? If this guy above me doesn't claim it, next person to post gets it.

id love a 120mm delta fan to go with my xp120 im ordering :p since i hear its the best fan to use for it!

soulsaver

k if randolf doesn't figure it out in the next few minutes, it yours dude. I'll pm you if he doesn't get back to me in a few.

hotness! thanks man......very nice worklog btw.....looking very nice!

btw, since im not a big custom modder......what do people like yourself normaly do with cases of that cabiler? auction them off or do movie companies buy them or?.....just curious

soulsaver

If I build one for a client....it goes to him or her. If I build one like this for show, it stays at my place or goes to shows to drum up attention.

edit: randolf is too slow so you get the fan instead :D

Qtip42 said:
If I build one for a client....it goes to him or her. If I build one like this for show, it stays at my place or goes to shows to drum up attention.

well seeing as I now have a real job I goto bed about 11pm :eek: yeah odd for me. I did cut a 80mm hole for a fan in my case. but could still fit a 120mm

Can we shut up about the sleeping? I know you people like to suck up to Qtip but really.

So about that sleeping thing.....j/k.........

The case is leaving tomorrow probably for a week or so (unless the powdercoater doesn't feel comfy doing the case). In the mean time I'll keep busy with some of the little stuff that needs finishing. The cam will be on and off at random times since we've gotta close the doors in the mornings because of the freezing temps (hence no wireless signal). Hopefully we'll get DSL before december.

Pulled my first all-nighter for college last night... or was it today... or yesterday...

needless to say it feels like it is the same day but I am just having a even more classes... Plus the fact that I can barely stay awake and when I try really hard to stay awake. My eyes start focusing on two separate things, Usually in separate directions... which makes me want to close my eyes, which makes me want to go to sleep, which makes me realize that I should be awake... and the cycle begins again...

Qtip42 said:

Qtip i just want to say your a really nice guy and awesome.......

before i post pic of fan next to my cpu cooler.... i just want to say you shipped and it got here faster than 2 transactions im going through right now (lol these happened a week before i won fan)

heres pic :p and thank you so very much will go very nicely in my new case im getting here soon!

Picture.jpg

soulsaver

good deal.

The case is coming back tomorrow morning and I'll probably have pics for you guys (assuming it looks good otherwise I'll hide it in shame). It'll still need to be clearcoated though.

Qtip42 said:
Something is missing........
batman38.jpg

Ah there we go...Still haven't cut out the vent though. Can't decide whether I should punch some slots or just cut out a square and put some mesh. .
batman39.jpg

There's a small difference between the two pictures. It has to do with the case/hardware. First person to name what I'm thinking gets a 120mm fan sent to their door. :D And it's not the blower.

MESH WOULD LOOK REALLY GREAT AT THE EXIT POINT.. just my 2 cents :D

Since my ftp isn't working at the moment, here's the pic via imageshack (will change that in a bit). This is a double gloss black powdercoat. As usual with powdercoating, there is some orange peel. Before it's all finished though, I'll clear the outside and possibly add a red pearl. I'm not keen on the idea of doing this case in all black because it shows every imperfection and even if it doesn't look like it in the pics, there are a few dings. It also gets dirty very easily but oh well.

Anyway, enjoy.
batman40.jpg

My host took a crap so the pictures are red-x'ing at the moment! It will back by monday.

Back