Problems with Antec

vischo

Gawd
I have been running Antec power supplies for a long time, about 5 years. I trusted their reliability and performance. I usually go with a 500W modular model. In that time, I have had 3 fail. The last failed just yesterday after a power outage in our neighborhood. I run all my equipment on APC surge protectors. Any advice? What is happening?

I am extremely frustrated with Antec at this point and their RMA process isn't pleasant.

Based on this forum and reviews on newegg, I will use PC Power and Cooling for my next build:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=58&name=Power-Supplies

PC Power and Cooling seems to have the least negative reviews.

good choice, IDK if anyone has mentioned it, but PC Power and Cooling goes with a single beefy +12v rail which is actually better than multiple +12v rails, sometimes power gets "trapped" on one of the rails and goes unused, even if needed elsewhere...

If power outages in your area are common, you may want to invest in a UPS instead of a surge protector alone.

If power outages in your area are common, you may want to invest in a UPS instead of a surge protector alone.
Preferably Line Interactive (AVR) instead of a cheapo standby model.

In regards to Antec, what is it about their RMA that is not pleasant? What Antec models keep blowing.....SmartPower, TruePower, EarthWatts?

QFT. Case in point: Apevia PSUs get a ton of good Newegg reviews. But most enthusiasts here know that Apevia PSUs are pure shit.

@ wol-va-rine
Might want to read this FAQ:
http://jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

this is exactly why I joined this site, if anything I have read and believed is wrong I knew it would be pointed out here, I guess that's what I get for believing something on a manufacturer's site...

:p

thanks...

Preferably Line Interactive (AVR) instead of a cheapo standby model.

In regards to Antec, what is it about their RMA that is not pleasant? What Antec models keep blowing.....SmartPower, TruePower, EarthWatts?

I believe they have all been NeoPower (all modular), around 500 - 550W. An RMA with Antec takes two weeks and $30 out of my pocket. (You call Antec, they issue RMA, YOU ship dead PSU to Antec, they send you a new one)

I used to live on a residential grid, this last outage was definitely unexpected as I live in an apartment in a downtown area (business grid).

I believe they have all been NeoPower (all modular), around 500 - 550W. An RMA with Antec takes two weeks and $30 out of my pocket. (You call Antec, they issue RMA, YOU ship dead PSU to Antec, they send you a new one)
I've RMA'ed several psu's to Antec over the past 8 years. Why are you paying $30 for shipping when it only costs <$10 for ground service and Antec pays for return shipping?

good choice, IDK if anyone has mentioned it, but PC Power and Cooling goes with a single beefy +12v rail which is actually better than multiple +12v rails, sometimes power gets "trapped" on one of the rails and goes unused, even if needed elsewhere...

Incorrect

I've RMA'ed several psu's to Antec over the past 8 years. Why are you paying $30 for shipping when it only costs <$10 for ground service and Antec pays for return shipping?

Well the poster must live in the boonies and shipping cost more to cover for gas, handling, etc. I paid around $8 with insurance (UPS, and this was about a year ago) last time I shipped to Antec. Then again I live in CA where the Antec warehouse is.

When I was in tech support, I loved the modular NeoPower units. There is another 500 Watt modular power supply, and we had a capacitor problem with it. It was the SmartPower series, which has been discontinued. If you send in a SmartPower PSU, it will most likely be replaced with a much newer design like the efficient EarthWatts.

The RMA process was actual "work", and the Neos generated the fewest RMAs for me. If a caller had a Neo, I could usually put my feet up and explain what rails went to what modular jacks, or how to use the extra molex and SATA connectors to create perfect custom cables. They were my favorite until the Quattro, and now the utterly amazing (and priced accordingly) Signature Series. :eek:

We tremendously simplified the RMA process a couple years ago. The customer support department now issues the RMA numbers themselves (then it gets turned over to the RMA department for handling.) The serial number is now your proof of purchase—no more digging for lost receipts. You can call, but the fastest way to get an RMA # is to go to http://www.antec.com/newticket.html, select "RMA needed" and make sure you include your shipping address, phone # and PSU serial # . Watch your email closely, as replies can come quickly during business hours. More than 90% of RMA requests are handled in one business day, and most of those that take longer are because of incomplete or incorrect information typed in when the user filled out their ticket.

We also have an option for advanced replacement. If you want the new unit cross-shipped, then when you request your RMA # make sure to specify you want "advanced replacement." You'll be given instructions on how to get the new unit sent to you immediately. You'll need to pay for the replacement up front, but a complete refund will be issued automatically as soon as we receive and verify the PSU you send back. :cool:

Sorry we have to do it that way, but it's because of people who thought they were clever and sent us PSUs from other companies, or even a box with 5.5 lbs of junk in it. :mad: If anybody ever brags to you that they pull stuff like that, give them a really dirty look and call them some suitably rude name. Obviously I'm not allowed to advocate physical violence :D

It was the SmartPower series, which has been discontinued. If you send in a SmartPower PSU, it will most likely be replaced with a much newer design like the efficient EarthWatts.

Nice! That's great to know. Gota 450W Smartpower here that's been squealing a bit.

Noise bad! :eek: Squealing is very likely a capacitor.

Since it's still running, you are a prime candidate for the advanced replacement process.
1. Get the replacement.
2. Swap it in.
3. Send back the noisy unit.

Near zero downtime. :cool:

Noise bad! :eek: Squealing is very likely a capacitor.

Since it's still running, you are a prime candidate for the cross-shipment process.
1. Get the replacement.
2. Swap it in.
3. Send back the noisy unit.

Near zero downtime. :cool:

Thanks! But I'll just just go through the regular process. Don't mind the down-time and, no offense, I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to giving others my money.

Does it matter if the PSU had came with the Sonata II case?

Back