• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Problems installing BFG GTX 295

Rev.

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Messages
401
The card is in.

System has a 750 watt PCP&C Silencer PSU.

System boots into Windows.

I can hear Windows start, I can hear people IMing me over STEAM.

But never one time can I see any video. I see no BIOS, nothing. If it werent for the sonds I wouldnt even know it was in Windows.

I am stumped.

It is obviosly passing POST etc....

But the moniter's light is yellow as if the system were asleep or powered off.

Any clue?
 
You have all the power plugged in? You're using the correct cables? Could mean a DOA.
 
The only cable not in is the HDMI cable, which I see no place for on my LCD.

The indicator light on the back of the card is "green", meaning the power is hooked up correctly.

If it were DOA, would it even POST?
 
The only cable not in is the HDMI cable, which I see no place for on my LCD.

If that is the case, you have 2 DVI cables hooked up? What is the other one plugged in to, are you getting video there?
 
Ahhh, now, I have only ONE cable hooked up....


BRB :)

Your SUPPOSED to only have one DVI cable hooked up... to your main display. Since you said that you have all the plugs filled I assumed you meant you had 2 DVI cables plugged it which might cause you to not have video on one of them during the initial install.

No offense, but I think this would be obvious...
 
Nothing is obvious after hours of frustration....


no offense.


That and I have never used a dual GPU card before this, so I assumed maybe you were telling me something I didn't know.
 
I just fired up the system on the 8800GTX and it worked flawlessly, I am going to retry the 295. If I get the same result I guess "she's dead Jim."

:(
 
I see two lights on the back of the card. One indicates proper power or the lack thereof (red = bad, green = good)

There is a second light, that is supposed to glow blue, indicating primary display. This light has never been on the whole time.

Since I see no video, I am assuming that it is not simply a burned out LED.

Crap :)
 
Yeah I will call tomorrow. I bought it locally, but it was the only one in stock, and it was a killer price.

Now I see why LOL!
 
Make sure your monitor is set to auto adjust or try to go in and set what input you want to view.

And back to some people above, the what DVI he uses shouldn't matter.
 
Well, I am really stumped...

Boxed the 295, tossed in the 8800 GTX and IT acted the same way. Booted into Windows displaying NOTHING.

Tried the 295 agian on another moniter...same deal.

Any ideas what the crap I am doing :eek:
 
Cables. Get your hands on another DVI cable. Forgot to mention that but this seems like it could be it from what you are describing. That or the physical connector on the display, could be loose or something like that.
 
most dead cards just dont post or have artifacts.

so yeah, im thinking maybe cable/monitor issues.
 
I have tried 2x moniters, one my 24" widescreen Acer, the other my son,s Dell CRT.

My LCD no longer works with EITHER of my cards. My 8800GTX runs my sons Dell moniter as it should.

The 295 doesnt work (display video) on either moniter.

I am just nagged that this stinking card may have toasted my LCD some how.
 
My guess would be A) Bad cable or B) Monitor is set to the incorrect input. I'd try a seperate DVI cable if you've got one, and also double check that your monitor isn't set to VGA input or Composite, etc.
 
Not cables, because the 295 doesnt work on either moniter.

But the 8800 works on the CRT and earlier worked fine on the LCD.

But alas, LCD isnt working at all now.
 
Unplugging the LCD a while got it working at least for now.

I am thinking a motherboard incompatibility issue
 
sounds like a power supply issue to me, not supplying enough juice for the card. do you have a power supply tester?
 
750w...pcp&c at that, i dont think its power issues. those psus are like rocks, sure some fail, but it just doesnt sound like psu failure to me.

does power cycling the monitor do anything while the computer is "booting up"?
 
No, no matter what I do, the 295 displays nothing.

I wasnt planning on getting this card. But I saw it locally for $440.

My board is not the newest.

When I called BFG, they seemed to think that it was a board setting issue.

I flashed to the latest BIOS, but I just dont see MSI messing around trying to get a 650i board to work with dual GPU cards.

So I guess I can either get a new board, or take the 295 back...
 
Got a friend who can let you try it in their PC?
 
I had a 750W PSU and it could not run my GTX295, i had to go and get 1000w psu.
 
which 750w? im thinking of going 280 SLI with my PC P&C 750w...

Thermaltake 750W...which only has 18 amps per 12v.

Yours is much better PSU, it should be fine. But if you start noticing random restarts and shut downs...then it is the PSU.
 
Well, I cant just grab a board...I dont even know if the card is working properly. I may take it back to the store and see what they say.

Maybe I should have stuck with my gut and avoided multi-GPU cards.
 
My psu has 4 rails at 18A each and the manufacturer says that the card can draw power from all rails as it needs it for a total of 72A. I find it hard to believe that the thermaltake would not have similar behavior unless it only has 2 or 3 rails.
 
Can your motherboard do SLI???

Is your board one where you have a physical selector that you flip to run single or dual GPUs???? Or is it all in the software??? If physical try flipping it.

Does the BIOS have an SLI selection???

Are you running the latest drivers??? 181.22 I think? Make sure the nvidia control panel is set to the native resolution and single monitor.

What a PITA.(the problem, not you.:D)
 
Did you by any chance picked up the GTX295 at the Tustin MC? I'd picked it up there for the same price, so I hope it is not a bad batch. Still waiting for all my i7 components to come before I can install it.

No, no matter what I do, the 295 displays nothing.

I wasnt planning on getting this card. But I saw it locally for $440.

My board is not the newest.

When I called BFG, they seemed to think that it was a board setting issue.

I flashed to the latest BIOS, but I just dont see MSI messing around trying to get a 650i board to work with dual GPU cards.

So I guess I can either get a new board, or take the 295 back...
 
Back
Top