Prey (2017)

Definitely going to pick this up after I'm done with Zelda...though that might be quite some time. :p

Definitely going to pick this up after I'm done with Zelda...though that might be quite some time. :p

When I get small amounts of time to play after work, I've been playing bits of Prey. When I feel like playing a game before I go to sleep in bed, I play Zelda. Working out nicely. :D

I did notice tearing with the game on the 382.05 driver, but I'm not getting any stuttering. Nearly locked to 144 FPS at 2560x1440. I get a smooth 60 FPS using 4K DSR, but can't play that way because the mouse position gets screwed up. One thing I noticed is there is a noticeable popin effect on some effects like shadows and smoke, where the effect doesn't appear until you get really close to it. I think this is a game issue, not a driver issue, as I noticed the same thing during the Bethesda PC gameplay stream. Maybe the reason the game plays so smooth is they're doing ridiculous culling on a lot of things...

20170510153816_1.jpg

4 Hours Later =)

Was jerking around in the Hardware labs "Because the Main objectives are far in the distance" forever feels like I go nowhere in the game even though I think I'm not progressing. Seems like areas open up randomly or something game really makes you think I forgot you could climb up on objects and use the Goo Gun to freeze stuff. Been playing with a keyboard and mouse I wonder how a controller feels like in this game I think the Keyboard mouse combo is done pretty well in this game.

Last edited:
playing with a keyboard and mouse I wonder how a controller feels like in this game I think the Keyboard mouse combo is done pretty well in this game.
I see some people gushing over the spiral wheel thing and I’m curiouswhy it’s getting such love. If anything the weapon/power select is my least favorite thing about the UI. Both DOOM and Dishonored 2 did it better.

Space is far out man whoooa killer moves........Finally away from the corridor version of the game.

Space is far out man whoooa killer moves........Finally away from the corridor version of the game.

I had a little bit of a fanboy moment when I flew out of that airlock the first time. ;)

I see some people gushing over the spiral wheel thing and I’m curiouswhy it’s getting such love. If anything the weapon/power select is my least favorite thing about the UI. Both DOOM and Dishonored 2 did it better.

I agree. It's decent and serviceable but I'm not ecstatic over it.

The space environment in this game is top notch imo.. As for the patch.. I have not had any issues with the game so far, so I will stay away from the beta patch. I have avoided using the the glitch so far.. Its not a big deal if they fix that right away...

I was in the Arboretum and a Nightmare came after me...holy shit I've never ran so fast in a game in my life lol! I was mashing the keyboard to turn into a box real fast and hide. So scary!

So is the Nightmare like a Big Sister in Bioshock? They spawn with a timer from what I seen then exit after the timer is up.

IGN Score: 4

Gamespot Score: 6

These are pretty low for what I consider an 8-9 game. I'm about 20 hrs in and still having fun exploring Talos and optimizing my character's build. The story has been slow after the explosive intro but it's starting to get interesting again towards the end. I figure I'm probably 2/3 of the way to the end of the game.

eh, others are ripping the ign score, which is the final score based on corrupt saved game, beta patch released today.

I really don't trust IGN or the old-world gaming press. It's lretty obvious they have no idea what journalism is. It seems my opinions seem to mirror youtube and independent reviewers more and more. I have yet to dissagree with Angry Joe or Jim Sterling, regardless of how rediculous or campy either of them present their reviews.

Nvidia has released hotfix 382.19 driver for those experiencing stuttering in Prey...

"This hotfix resolves a stutter issue experienced on some configurations while playing Prey"

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4464

I played with these drivers last night along with the patch. Not that I was having any problem with the game but it would seem to kind of stutter here and there, nothing really major, but this driver seems to have smoothed that out.

I'm going to make backups of my 9 hours of progress saves are located at User C:User/Arkane/Savegames

These are pretty low for what I consider an 8-9 game. I'm about 20 hrs in and still having fun exploring Talos and optimizing my character's build. The story has been slow after the explosive intro but it's starting to get interesting again towards the end. I figure I'm probably 2/3 of the way to the end of the game.

No way. Absolutely...no...way.

Is there some kind of conspiracy to tear down gaming from within or something?

Once upon a time we went from "review outlets are being paid off/payola/wouldn't know a bad game if it hit them".... to the other extreme of this.

Prey is easily GOTY material and I think this is absolutely daft.

A disaster like Syberia 3 rightfully got a 3/10 from a number of outlets like PC Gamer just as a frame of reference for how friggin' insane this is.

I really don't trust IGN or the old-world gaming press. It's lretty obvious they have no idea what journalism is. It seems my opinions seem to mirror youtube and independent reviewers more and more. I have yet to dissagree with Angry Joe or Jim Sterling, regardless of how rediculous or campy either of them present their reviews.

I agree with you broadly although those two guys are losing their way as well. Too insane...too unhinged...too unfocused. Too much personal baggage at least with Joe (I feel sorry for him) but... something is terribly amiss here, yes.

Yeah those scores are complete bullshit!! How does Mass Effect get 9s and 10s for being a shitty, broken, boring game yet this gets low scores?? Such bullshit.

eh, others are ripping the ign score, which is the final score based on corrupt saved game, beta patch released today.

I know they (and we) would like to see outlets get review copies of games sooner and all... and there's too much deadline-itis with a lot of these reviews... but this is absolutely "grudge job" spite and sabotage.

You have to wonder if the outlets giving this game ridiculously low scores are trying to send Bethesda a message regarding their "no early review copies" policy.

You have to wonder if the outlets giving this game ridiculously low scores are trying to send Bethesda a message regarding their "no early review copies" policy.

I'm sure that's what it is and I understand being pissed about corrupted saves. I get it. Not trying to make excuses for it. I've backed up my saves, too, as cautionary measure "just in case."

That's a stupid and inexcusable issue.

You take those two things off the table and you get something a lot more reasonable in tone like PC Gamer's review in contrast. http://www.pcgamer.com/prey-review/

Gamespot...IGN... I don't know if these reviewers just don't like these kinds of games or what. I'm starting to wonder if some of them are burned out on games, period, and need to get into a new line of work.

It can't all be COD, Destiny, and Divison clones... not yet anyways.

For whatever it's worth: I'm seeing floating advice going around that says Bethesda is telling people to opt in for beta patches and such and that the current beta patch IS helping people with the corrupt save issue. There is some early positive feedback in that direction.

There are some complaints on the other gaming platforms for the save issue. No idea how many or how big this issue might be.

Last edited:
Kind of hard for me getting into the game right now. It's still early for me, and I understand that you're underpowered at the start. But I was having a good time being surprised be the mimics, then 3 hours later I was getting sick and tired of it. The last straw for me during last night's session was sneaking into an area where I knew they were there hiding, as I could hear them, but no matter how I approached all 7 of them would break camo and attack simultaneously when I broke their invisible circle of awareness. This just felt so cheap and poorly designed at the time that I called it a night out of disgust. I'm going to keep pushing on, though, as the setting and plot are very intriguing and it seems to be right up my alley.
I was going to say the same thing. I think it's a combination of this and Bethesda's blacklisting of Kotaku, so the old guard is coming together united in protest.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
It starts out slow... be patient...

I can't stress this enough and few brave outlets have agreed with me: The music leaves a lot to be desired with no disrespect meant to that gent. Some of the ambient is decent. I know people really dig his stuff on Doom and such but it just doesn't work for me on this and it gets obnoxious during any potential combat situations. It interferes.

Turn the music down to 10 or 20 in the audio menu. (Apparently the patch is going to address the sound mix more specifically but in the mean time...)

Sound design is critical. Mimics make this funny... noise that you can hear if you're sneaking around and they don't jump you. Sometimes you can catch them transforming on you as well.

Once you get that first neuromod, get the Gloo gun, and start working the Lobby area over and get to Yu's office...THAT is when things to start to open up.

Normal is as hard as I'm willing to go with this. I was tempted to go easy for a while until I finally got a silenced pistol, a shotty, and was able to start upgrading some skills and abilities. The curve settles out and then it's like "you get it." I promise. It happens. ;)

Played Devil's advocate, I think scores that low really should be saved for games that are truly broken, which in this case for that reviewer was totally true. There is a disclaimer at the top of the IGN article now that says the review was PC-exclusive and there is now a beta patch, but if I got a corrupted save issue that destroyed my game? I'd probably give it a 4 (or lower) too.

The right thing to do might be to revisit the game, but how often do reviewers do that? Maybe they should do a review on the console version.

Played Devil's advocate, I think scores that low really should be saved for games that are truly broken, which in this case for that reviewer was totally true. There is a disclaimer at the top of the IGN article now that says the review was PC-exclusive and there is now a beta patch, but if I got a corrupted save issue that destroyed my game? I'd probably give it a 4 (or lower) too.

The right thing to do might be to revisit the game, but how often do reviewers do that? Maybe they should do a review on the console version.
Not often, but first impressions are usually all that people get exposed to.

I died many times at the beginning and learned to quick save often so I wasn't replaying the same few minutes each time I died. Further in now and much easier. Mimicry is your friend if you've gone that route. I like this game a LOT, this is my favorite new game of the year so far. Right now sticking with the main story but will definitely doing another play through completing as many of the side quests as possible. Really like the sound track too, most of the time I turn off the music in games if its an option. Wearing headphones really helps with the immersion too.

You guys have me sold. The trailers and all the pre-release news did not give me any indication that this was anything but another cliche'd on the rails corridor shooter with some special abilities. I must have missed this info somewhere, or it came out after I had already given up on it.

I'm very happy to see the return of large level environments and non-linear gameplay. The bugs I've seen reported don't seem like too big a deal or at least have workarounds and seem to be getting fixed quickly.

Wait! Did you say...quick save? You can quick save in Prey? Now I'm more tempted to purchase this game.

f5 to save f9 to load.. This is the default in like.. Every game. But it's not shown for some reason in Prey.. but they work.

IGN gives 9 and 10's to all Bethesda games.. They have game breaking bugs too.. They are just bitter about not having early review copies.

But then again it's IGN.. Who listens to them anyways.

f5 to save f9 to load.. This is the default in like.. Every game. But it's not shown for some reason in Prey.. but they work.

IGN gives 9 and 10's to all Bethesda games.. They have game breaking bugs too.. They are just bitter about not having early review copies.

But then again it's IGN.. Who listens to them anyways.

I don't think I've looked at an IGN article since one of my childhood EGM magazines. :p Is the "QuarterMan" still writing for them. hehehe

What did Game Pro rate this game?

Ok I'll stop now...

From what I've been reading, this isn't a true open world/sandbox style play of game is it (e.g. Grand Theft Auto)? It's more of large open levels patched together in the form of a massive space station. You can go to the other levels at will, but you may be "encouraged" not to until you're ready. Is this correct?

Also, does anyone have good gameplay videos they could share, either their's or a reviewers? I really want to see this AI everyone is talking about. You can't see it in trailers. I'm dying to see smart AI like the original FEAR.

Digital Foundry finds a radically improved PC experience compared to PS4 and Xbox One

The die has been cast for the current generation of gaming - multi-platform games are built from the ground up with consoles in mind, with only limited gains when ported over to PC: higher frame-rates, larger resolutions and perhaps a 4K texture pack...but having spent a few days looking at the console and PC versions of Arkane Austin's Prey, one thing is clear - this title bucks the trend...the evidence strongly suggests that PC may well be the lead platform here, and the improvements are dramatic...for the full-fat Prey experience, PC is the only way to play...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-prey-face-off

Games aren't "ported" to the PC from consoles. (at least not in the last ton of years) Features and access to advanced options and control devices are ADDED to the existing code. It's not like it was written and compiled on a console. It's written on a PC in the first place, then debugged and tested on the dev-version of the console hardware with a cut down (or at least base level) config. To me, porting would be converting a large portion of code from something that ran on incompatible hardware (like say Power PC) and recompiling it for another set of hardware (like and X86 based PC or console). I guess the meaning has changed a bit, since the major platforms are all X86 now.

Where a game becomes a good "port" even though it isn't one, is how many of those advanced control schemes, advanced graphical features are added to the PC version. Then how well it's tested on as wide a variety of PC hardware as possible to avoid compatibility issues.

I guess that's a matter of semantics though. I would prefer people just talked about how well a given game is optimized for a given platform. Not how well it was ported.

I think a lot of games have really fit this description as of late. Doom is a good example. Bayonetta is another completely different sort of example. An older game that never hit the PC until now, but with everything bumped up to modern standards. I really actually haven't played a PC game recently that I thought suffered because it was also on consoles.

There have been a few where the games were developed by traditionally console developers who weren't as up on the PC nuances as they could have been (I'm thinking Nier: Automata here) but in this specific case, they actually did a really good job considering, there were just some minor tweaks that needed to be made.

I haven't seen a total, shameless, knock-off PC version of something in a while actually. Not the kind we were seeing during the X360 era at least.

***Disclaimer: Now that I think about it, despite my ranting above, I've probably said/used the term port in recent years. :p ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Back