Prey (2017)

That sure is a very small range and nothing like any video I have seen. I certainly do not see anyone else typically sticking to just a 5 fps variance on average. For example I get anywhere from 110 fps all the way down to mid 60s at times and that lines up with what I have seen in youtube videos.

Good example right here as he is anywhere from around 105 fps to around 70 fps on the 1080 Ti.

Big variation I never seen that many cards sampled at once I'm glad I upgraded to a 1080ti big jump from a 980ti even.
Just picked up a extra heatsink cooler and fan for my card if the fan ever decided to go bad. Plan on keeping it for two years anyway.

For those pretty far into the game, what neuromod skills have you found the most useful?

I've kinda been stockpiling neuromods because I'm not sure what direction I want to go in. Leaning toward a focus on guns and standard combat, but I'm not sure now that some of the Typhon skills are available. Has anyone had any success with a stealth build?
A very minor spoiler (but not really since many trailers have alluded to this) is that you can get Typhon powers - at the risk of being ID’d as alien by turrets, etc. So that is where I am in determining the skill path. I like the engineer/hacker/stealth playstyle but you rarely get the jump on phantoms.

One direction I am trying however: I killed January.

For those pretty far into the game, what neuromod skills have you found the most useful?

I've kinda been stockpiling neuromods because I'm not sure what direction I want to go in. Leaning toward a focus on guns and standard combat, but I'm not sure now that some of the Typhon skills are available. Has anyone had any success with a stealth build?

Hacking...some leverage... anything that helps with stealth. I'm not even that far in and I can see those three are going to be consistent stalwarts. Repair can be useful because I have some fortified turrets covering me in certain rooms.

Curious, what adjustments did you make?

So like others have said, I forced myself to play more stealthy. Until you get more powerful and add neuromods / gather more weapons it's best to avoid confrontation. I was trying to fight everything I saw and kept dying over and over lol!

Can you adjust the difficulty in game? Going to play this game on tuesday....

Last edited:
Does anyone have an issue with a weird red font behind the text in menus and in game texts? I cannot figure this out, but it giving me a headache, and can't enjoy the game . It almost looks like there is a 3d effect that you should be wearing 3d glasses that is turned on?

I saw other people in steam forums complaining as well, but no fix yet, i am running a 980ti

I'm really enjoying this game, and have few complaints, but I have never met a game that had such poor positional audio on PC. There aren't any options in-game. I use a Soundblaster Omni with software surround sound, which typically works extremely well through my Sennheiser headphones. But this fucking game is 2.0 no matter what I do. Very damn frustrating as this game would really benefit from it.

Is anybody getting surround sound out of this game, real or otherwise?

I'm really enjoying this game, and have few complaints, but I have never met a game that had such poor positional audio on PC. There aren't any options in-game. I use a Soundblaster Omni with software surround sound, which typically works extremely well through my Sennheiser headphones. But this fucking game is 2.0 no matter what I do. Very damn frustrating as this game would really benefit from it.

Is anybody getting surround sound out of this game, real or otherwise?
I have a similar issue with Dishonored 2- it’s that the positional audio is extremely narrow and the range falls off way too fast.

I only got to play for a short time over the weekend, but I can tell this is going to be a good game for me. I did want to make a quick comment on the graphics, since a lot of people seem to be complaining about them. For the environments that I've been met with so far, they are more than adequate. The engine and use of it, convey a somewhat sterile futuristic setting just fine. So far everything looks pretty much like it should, and nothing has been distracting. Yes, certain things could look a little bit better, but overall I'm enjoying the aesthetic. There are other games that look better (Doom for one) but that's a different kind of game in a different kind of setting. More industrial. However, Prey looks very good IMO. I can't wait to play more of it.

So what's so special about this game ?
What makes it different is what I'm asking.

Nothing makes it super DIFFERENT per say, but the game can make you a little jumpy especially when you're low on health or ammo. It has a BioShock/HL feel to it, with a similar kind of story. It's more of a re-hash of good, used ideas with some new flavor thrown on top in a nice pretty little package. I have found nothing that I dislike about the game thus far, but at the same time nothing that's totally blowing me away. I got it on G2A for about $40. I would say it's worth it if you get it anywhere less than retail.

If anything, the good reviews on Steam are from all of the people who were surprised the game actually ran great day 1.

Wait...what?!? I didn't even know this was possible. Did you use a Recycler Charge? What happens when you do that, does it break the game?
It does not break the game, I used my wrench when he was gliding around in my office.

December isn’t destroyed and takes over guiding you.

with lots of mobs and action, I am seeing fps as low as 45 dsring to 4k. brief, but noticeable. still playing as such as visuals worth more than fps so far. Still average fps at 60

reviews are starting to trickle in...

Prey, which Arkane Austin took on instead of Dishonored 2 — is different than fans might expect...it’s a slightly messy, nail-biting action game that goes in a lot of different directions, leaving some elements underdeveloped...but it still bears Arkane’s uniquely craftsmanlike approach: not too flashy, groundbreaking, or self-consciously clever, but solid, complex, and thoughtfully built...

Prey isn’t as distinctive as Dishonored, BioShock, or several similar games. It’s hard to make anything about monsters on a space station stand out, especially when it’s such a direct homage to an earlier project...but it manages the task of feeling both massive and compact, with a clear purpose but lots of interesting detours to explore — much like Talos-1 itself...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/8/15581242/prey-review-xbox-one-ps4-pc-bethesda-arkane

Nother semi related performance update. Just left friends house who has a pair of 980ti in SLI (1350 core) and stock 6700k. 1440p, game stays mostly pegged at 144 fps (gsync). DSR'd to 4k and sits in the 70-80fps range. All settings max. Cards seeing 85%ish useage with newest driver.

this game looks great!

It plays great, too, and the story doesn't take long to get very intriguing.

The game also throws some swerves and surprises. Once certain new abilities show up it just turns things sideways even that much more. I really am very impressed with this overall.

WOW this game looks really clean it's not full of textures galore I spent like a half hour trying to get the the Lobby. I didn't follow quest objectives at first. No wonder Q-BZ couldn't find the dlc locker I couldn't even find it.
They really set the bar high when they made this game but then again I just got to the Lobby :X3:
:X3::X3:

WOW this game looks really clean it's not full of textures galore I spent like a half hour trying to get the the Lobby. I didn't follow quest objectives at first. No wonder Q-BZ couldn't find the dlc locker I couldn't even find it.
They really set the bar high when they made this game but then again I just got to the Lobby :X3:
:X3::X3:

Patience. You ain' seen nuthin' yet. ;)

Yes, taking care and paying attention to details and not rushing is very important in this game.

Patience. You ain' seen nuthin' yet. ;)

Yes, taking care and paying attention to details and not rushing is very important in this game.

Very true. The game is pretty DENSE kinda like Deus Ex, where there's stuff worth looking at in pretty much every room.

Very true. The game is pretty DENSE kinda like Deus Ex, where there's stuff worth looking at in pretty much every room.

Agreed.

I'm seeing people post on youtube how they supposedly blew this entire game in speed runs of 20 minutes. I just don't get that. I don't want to. Why even bother?

Agreed.

I'm seeing people post on youtube how they supposedly blew this entire game in speed runs of 20 minutes. I just don't get that. I don't want to. Why even bother?

I can see it...the game takes place in one large area. You can skip a TON of stuff, but you're right, why do that? Especially if you paid for the game. I like to get my moneys worth, only way you can do that is play the game the way it was meant to be played. There's a lot of interesting emails to read and a lot of those tape recorders to listen to, really expands the depth of the game and what has occured before the Typhon breach. It's a pretty cool storyline, like I said before, nothing TOTALLY new, but they re-hashed good ideas that worked well, put some flavor and spin on it, and IMO made a game that's actually worth half a damn. On top of it all, they actually didn't fuck up the PC launch. I got it for $40 on G2A, I would say it's money well spent.

I didn't see the Bioshock resemblance untill I got to the 1st power up station and stuck those needles in my eyes ouch!
In Bioshock one they had a Deer like skull in a level in the same manner kinda.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Fun game, it's like Deus Ex meets Dead Space.

I'm just playing on normal and still find the enemies pretty tricky at times. I'm definitely not very good yet o.0

I've been playing on hard and it, well it gets hard at times.
Absolutely.

I chose the same difficulty as it's bringing back some serious Half Life and Bioshock vibes - and I mean that in the best of ways. I'm finding that the AI deviates wildly and enemies in certain areas are actually blocking my progress.

I'm really loving this game as well, Mass Effect what? That shit game got uninstalled so fast once this came out.

I encountered that crazy EMP mimic thing last night at the elevator shaft. I loved the AI and how it attacked and moved, I found myself running around like crazy trying to find it and it as hiding behind trees in the corner LOL!

This game absolutely deserves more credit.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm really loving this game as well, Mass Effect what? That shit game got uninstalled so fast once this came out.

I encountered that crazy EMP mimic thing last night at the elevator shaft. I loved the AI and how it attacked and moved, I found myself running around like crazy trying to find it and it as hiding behind trees in the corner LOL!

This game absolutely deserves more credit.
I really think that adopting the “Prey” name was baggage this game did not need.

Does anyone have an issue with a weird red font behind the text in menus and in game texts? I cannot figure this out, but it giving me a headache, and can't enjoy the game . It almost looks like there is a 3d effect that you should be wearing 3d glasses that is turned on?

I saw other people in steam forums complaining as well, but no fix yet, i am running a 980ti

This doesnt pertain to the game but I recently bought a new 4k TV and noticed the red's were quite intense on it, in games and even on this forum, I did alot of tweaking yesterday on the TV itself, messed with tint, color intensity , all of that shit. I managed to minimize that "3d effect" the best I could, it is definitely easier on the eyes than it was.

I guess what I am saying is just do some tweaking on your display the best you can, maybe they could fix it in games but just thought I would give you my 2 cents. Don't know if its the display or what, I am downloading the game as of right now and I will let you know if I experience it myself in another post.

Absolutely.

I chose the same difficulty as it's bringing back some serious Half Life and Bioshock vibes - and I mean that in the best of ways. I'm finding that the AI deviates wildly and enemies in certain areas are actually blocking my progress.
Yup, same. This actually reminds me I need to head back to another area. Thanks for the reminder ;)

Tried moving the game from a HDD to a SSD moved it to another SSD and that didn't work so I'm downloading the game yet again.

SDD loads quicker but not by much it seems say maybe a 1/3 of the time a HDD takes faster think I'll move it to a SSD again. I need a bigger SSD instead of trying to conserve space all the time. By the time the prices go down on them I'll be ancient....

I like how they have all the buttons mapped on the keyboard nstead of using a mouse either they wanted to go for something Retro for screen selection Dos games or something else.

Back