Prey (2017)

ghostwich - You aren't kidding about the shotgun - it can be pretty good but you really have to be point blank, which is sometimes a bit of a problem depending on the enemy.

The shotgun was my bread and butter for maybe the first third of the game. You kind of get too reliant on it, and it's a shame because some of the other combos are great (i.e. the stun gun, or the Q-beam) and it's too easy to blow all your upgrades on the weapons you rely on the most.

Also, if you are getting low on mineral resources, one thing you can do is use a Recycler charge on a bunch of crates and stuff to get some. I seem to be swimming in Recycler charges so it works out okay.

One thing I don't like about the UI is that if you have multiple quests selected (which is often since you end up backtracking a lot and want to complete multiple things in a given area) it always just says "Multiple" and it's tough to tell what is actually in that next area, because it will also include quests that might be one or two areas beyond that but in that general direction. Sort of a minor annoyance but it would be nice if it showed either just the quest names in that area, or have the location next to the name when it shows up on the UI. I know you can figure this out from the Quest screen, but it's just sort of an inconvenience that I find myself doing multiple times.

I turned off the quest markers because they stopped making sense - not only because of what you've described, but also because at the mid-way part of the game I had so many things to do it was just a laundry list. Add finding everyone to the list and it's just a mess. Most (but not all) of the game's objectives are straightforward enough that you don't need to be shown exactly where things are. I'd suggest turning them off, or activating them manually.

Stuff gets pretty interesting as you progress. Can someone who has finished the game tell me (without spoiling anything) if the choices you are faced with make any real difference at the end? I'd just like to know so that I'll know whether I need to keep my "pre-choice" saves or if I can just barrel through without consequence.

I'm about 31 hours in and I'm pretty sure the end is in sight based on the main story objectives, so I've halted progress on that part and am trying to wrap us as many of these side quests as I can. A couple of them are kind of vague/annoying as far as how to complete them. I agree about the multiple objectives marker - that probably could have been done a little bit better but eh, a minor quibble like you said.

Ehhhh sort of? I would say that the "good/bad" ending thing is a bit of a wash. There's an ending, and I would suggest going in blind.

Completed this today, enjoyed it from start to finish. It's a cross between Bioshock and Deus Ex, with enough originality that it stands out from the games it's inspired by. Combat is not the primary goal of this game, there are multiple ways of avoiding combat or killing enemies without engaging them yourself, though when necessary what combat is there is serviceable. On normal difficulty I didn't have any problems with any enemy in the game, stealth bonus+weapon dmg+fully upgraded shotgun did decent work throughout. You do eventually get enough neuromods to upgrade all the human upgrades, and if you explore all rooms/side quests you can get 50+ hours from this title.

I think the most standout aspect of this game is that you can 'juke' your way into rooms/areas early without breaking the game. That is, other games might have broken triggers/quests/dialogues or just typical bugs pop up from that sort of player freedom - but here the game design is done robust enough that you can find some trick of getting into some locked off area and not worry about breaking something. I'd recommend this game for anyone who thinks they would enjoy a Bioshock/DeusEx hybrid game.

I've recommended this game to the same people who were into Bioshock/System-shock/DeusEx. With enough meticulous planning, you can unlock every ability in the game - and that's a little disappointing. The harder difficulty level messes with damage output but with most "open" games your character gets so overpowered it makes no difference. Like with Deus Ex, you feel like you have a spec in the beginning - be it combat hacker, or stealth/assassin, or whatever, but as you get the points to upgrade it becomes less and less specialized. Suit/scope chipsets are a perfect example of this. Or, what weapons you carry.

I've had this same problem with Deus Ex where I self-imposed limits so I couldn't become this weird 100% stealth 100% attack 100% hacker mega-character.

I have thoughts about choice and plot of this game, but it's definitely spoiler-heavy.

Ehhhh sort of? I would say that the "good/bad" ending thing is a bit of a wash. There's an ending, and I would suggest going in blind.

Thanks. Some of the choices I'm referring to are:

Choosing whether to Mikhaila by retrieving her meds or (presumably) leaving her to die

Choosing whether or not to abandon the station in Alex's escape pod and leave everyone else to their fate (I found out last night that this one apparently doesn't matter; I tried it just for shits and giggles to see if it would trigger another ending)

Choosing whether to delete the audio record of the experiment with Mikhaila's father, or transfer it to your office for her to hear

Like do those things just affect in-game conversations and how you're treated by certain characters, or do they help determine who is and isn't around at the end, or do they change the actual ending? I am going in blind, I just want to know how much weight these choices have because some games treat them very superficially (thereby creating a faux illusion of possible consequence) while other games treat them much more seriously.

I have thoughts about choice and plot of this game, but it's definitely spoiler-heavy.

Feel free to put your thoughts inside of spoiler tags, and I'll read `em when I'm done. :)

Encountered several weird issues around the Power Plant area:

1) Can see Neuromods through a window/door to a hull breach area, but when you actually go to that area from the exterior, the Neuromods are not there.

2) Looked at a vent in the hull breach area above and could see through everything into space.

3) Had a Mimic near the grav lift apparently get stuck inside the floor, so now every time I go past that area I see an enemy indicator and the music changes, but the thing can't get to me.

Nothing super major (although I would love those Neuromods...) but weird how it's buggy in that one section.

1) Can see Neuromods through a window/door to a hull breach area, but when you actually go to that area from the exterior, the Neuromods are not there.
Not a bug really, more like an oversight. The actual "outside of the ship in space" is a different map than the "areas of the outside you can see while inside the ship" - just modeled to look the same - so items/pickups are not always synchronized to disappear when you pick them up. The major ones, like keycards I see they've synchronized, but the minor ones like crafting pickups etc you'll always see from the inside even if you already got them.

3) Had a Mimic near the grav lift apparently get stuck inside the floor, so now every time I go past that area I see an enemy indicator and the music changes, but the thing can't get to me.
Known issue - sometimes enemies can get stuck in the shaft, and if you try to use it you may also get stuck - the solution is simple - simply throw an EMP grenade into the shaft and it will disable it for a few seconds. You can even do this while stuck inside the shaft.

Like do those things just affect in-game conversations and how you're treated by certain characters, or do they help determine who is and isn't around at the end, or do they change the actual ending? I am going in blind, I just want to know how much weight these choices have because some games treat them very superficially (thereby creating a faux illusion of possible consequence) while other games treat them much more seriously.

So... I know exactly what you mean by a "faux illusion of possible consequence" and I'll give you one weird non-spoiler-y thing I did in a parallel playthrough (I did two runs at the same time): I killed January.

Last chance!

The choices you make do impact the in-game conversations and outcomes of objectives while you're playing the game. You can kill just about every NPC, for example. A few times, you do have the choice of saving people's lives. And during the game, when you return to certain areas you can have different conversations. I'm not sure it really is "faux illusion" because you do lock out objectives, and change how the game is played, but it's not really all that dramatic.

Even killing January leads you to roughly the same plot with December as your main operator. It's weird, but it doesn't alter too much of the plot and you essentially hit all the same objectives.

When you get to the "Wizard of Oz" part of the ending, the different operators recap the things you did, or didn't do. Even the game's ultimate choice - at the end, with Alex, is just a binary choice that leads to one of two in-engine movies.

That's less satisfying I think, and goes to my main criticism of these kinds of games: when you're free to do anything, you essentially become OP and can do everything. It's the same way with Deus Ex, where you are led to believe you have limited upgrades, but if you are meticulous, slow, thorough (which most people are when playing these kinds of games) your discovery of secrets and side missions basically give you enough to upgrade almost across the board. The same goes for a Bioshock game too - defensive or offensive plasmids, by the end you have your choice of whatever you want, and your character's type is really up to your own internal choice.

I'm not sure how to "fix" this, or, if there really is a fix for it. I would say that the other end of the spectrum is a rogue-like, where the scarcity of upgrades really determines how you play - but then, death is nearly inevitable so your playthrough ends.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Encountered several weird issues around the Power Plant area:

2) Looked at a vent in the hull breach area above and could see through everything into space.

Yeah I agree with Drexion, this game is intense - if there is an area you can see, you can almost always reach it, hull breach or not. I forgot to use the GLOO gun a few times, but you can literally climb anywhere, it's crazy.

As for the weird clipping... there's a spot in Crew Quarters where you can (and I just checked this the other day) clip through the entire ship. I did it a few times just to fool around, and it's crazy just how much physical space is loaded up in each level. There was an interview with Arkane devs about Stilton's Manor in Dishonored 2 and just how they actually pulled it off. I forgot where that article was (PCGamer maybe?) but it was crazy just how much space they load up. Now that's a different engine, but you gotta think these guys push the boundaries (and I have joked before, maybe Arkane's hobby is taking new engines and modding them).

So I finally took on a Nightmare rather than just waiting for it to go away...with a fully-upgraded shotgun (and a suit chip that increases shotgun crits) I got in its face point blank and it was dead within 6 shots or so...lol.

I've been dicking around and ignoring the main quest for awhile...finally got the neuromod fabrication unlocked again, have quite a lot of resources right now. Guess it's time to head to Deep Storage finally.

Not bothering with turrets most of the time now, I think they are kind of a waste unless you are trying to use one for a specific encounter. Most of the enemies can take them out from a distance and even if they don't kill it (a fortified one for example), they just fling it around and then it falls over like the Portal turrets, so you have to re-deploy it. Kind of a PITA and not worth it mid-game. Early-game they can be pretty good before you upgrade your weapons and abilities.

Yeah that's why I was a bit annoyed with the Nightmare concept in this game...for as badass and scary as they are initially, they really aren't that hard to kill. I feel like they should be harder to take down, but if they were then I would just always wait them out which would kind of defeat the game giving you the choice of whether to kill or evade. I usually choose to evade/hide in the interest of ammo conservation, and repeatedly chilling out somewhere for 3 minutes watching the timer count down got old after the second or third time. That's why I wished that there was just a Nightmare boss encounter where it was a tough battle and yeah maybe it cost you a lot of resources but then you're done. The way it is, it just feels sort of gimmicky and not as well implemented as some other aspects of the game. They could have incorporated Nightmare encounters throughout the game that built up to a boss battle, like maybe you damaged it enough to cause it to flee like in Alien Isolation. Or you could just hide until it moved on without involving a mandatory timer like in Amnesia or SOMA. Those brush-ups would you the same scare/panic feeling without feeling like a grind or waste. As it is now, it's like OK, I can spend ammo killing it or I can wait until it disappears into thin air only for this to happen again in another couple of zones. It's not a big deal but I'll lodge it up there with the other minor complaints that you've voiced, like the turrets.

Speaking of turrets, I agree about not fooling with them for the most part unless they're needed for a specific encounter. Once I carefully set them up before leaving the Lobby the first time and then came back later to all of them wrecked, I thought of them as much less useful. It would be a lot more cool and rewarding to set up a fire zone consisting of 4-5 well placed turrets and come back to a pile of dead Typhon instead of a pile of broken turrets.

Yeah, I think the concept of having it show up every 20 minutes (30 minutes if you kill it, supposedly) is a bit much for a ~20 hour game. If the rewards for killing it were better it might be worthwhile, but you just get more Typhon material which I am rolling in anyway.

Just finished the game - 24 hours into it, did most of the side quests but not all (didn't do the "hidden caches" thing). Endings were kind of disappointing...but overall the game was great so it's not a huge bummer.

Started getting some glitches and quest bugs near the end - level not loading in properly, some "find this person" quests seemed bugged out and unable to complete...other quests flashing as completed, then not completed...etc. Just kinda weird, seems like it could use some more patching.

Started getting some glitches and quest bugs near the end - level not loading in properly, some "find this person" quests seemed bugged out and unable to complete...other quests flashing as completed, then not completed...etc. Just kinda weird, seems like it could use some more patching.

Some find the person quests are bugged because you can activate them on a security panel but they've already been turned into phantoms and you may have killed them, in which case it's an immediate "failed" mission.

Some find the person quests are bugged because you can activate them on a security panel but they've already been turned into phantoms and you may have killed them, in which case it's an immediate "failed" mission.

Yeah, I did some research and that seemed like what probably happened. Thing is, the quest popped up multiple times as being incomplete, then failed, then incomplete, then failed, etc...and never really went away after it failed.

Then you've got quests like the DnD themed treasure hunt, which was kind of fun except I'm not sure how I would have solved it in any reasonable amount of time without a walkthrough. Even then, the reward would have been good if you got it at the start of the game, but late-game it was completely underwhelming.

The more I sit and think about it post-ending, I kinda feel like this game was like 70% atmosphere and about 30% gameplay/plot. I was thinking about playing through again with Typhon mods but now I'm not sure I even want to. Enemy variety really is lacking (kind of figured this even with early trailers of the game) and for a game of this length it's a bit hard to excuse.

I don't regret playing it but it was definitely a journey thing with very little destination, and even the journey at times was tedious.

Thing is, the quest popped up multiple times as being incomplete, then failed, then incomplete, then failed, etc...and never really went away after it failed.
You're talking about the Luther Glass mission - it's a known issue that happened to everyone, though it's not really a "bug" because
There is no way to actually save Luther. If you explored the trauma center at the beginning of the game you would have found Luther dead already. The quest to save him was a trick, Dahl had one of his operators mimic Luthers voice to bait you into rescuing him, to lure you into his operator trap in the trauma center. So you both complete the mission (surviving the trap) and fail it (save luther) at the same time.
Though I guess they could have handled it better to make it look like it's not a bug, like most RPG games with complicated questlines, once you reach certain points in the game some quests will auto-fail as it might take place in an area you can't return to.

You're talking about the Luther Glass mission - it's a known issue that happened to everyone, though it's not really a "bug" because
There is no way to actually save Luther. If you explored the trauma center at the beginning of the game you would have found Luther dead already. The quest to save him was a trick, Dahl had one of his operators mimic Luthers voice to bait you into rescuing him, to lure you into his operator trap in the trauma center. So you both complete the mission (surviving the trap) and fail it (save luther) at the same time.
Though I guess they could have handled it better to make it look like it's not a bug, like most RPG games with complicated questlines, once you reach certain points in the game some quests will auto-fail as it might take place in an area you can't return to.

Yeah, that was not the only one but that one did act very odd as well.

Aug 2
Prey - New Update v. 1.05 Coming Soon - Patch Notes
Prey - JessBethesda

We're happy to announce that the latest update for Prey -- update 1.05 - is arriving soon. We will update once it's confirmed live.

The patch includes 30+ fixes to a variety of bugs and crashes.

From all of us at Arkane and Bethesda, thank you for the support and continued feedback.

Patch Notes for Version 1.05:
  • Player can no longer become blocked from rebooting Power Plant for the "Reboot" mission after killing the Technopath in Life Support.
  • Fixed crash when mimicking bass guitar in the Yellow Tulip.
  • Extra items gained through passive neuromods, such as organs and tumors from Necropsy or spare parts through Dismantle, will now properly stack in the player's inventory automatically.
  • Loading a save from a previous version of the game will no longer remove all quests and inventory, or break the HUD.
  • Fix for some AI-related crashes.
  • Various combat tweaks/fixes for mimics.
  • Opening the TranScribe will no longer disrupt FoV settings.
  • The light on top of a turret will no longer become detached when the player jumps and glides while holding it.
  • Approaching areas with Coral should no longer cause the client to stutter and eventually freeze.
  • Operator corpses from saves made on previous builds will no longer cause performance issues.
  • Repair II and III increase efficiency with suit patch kits. Reduced suit damage from enemies on easy and normal difficulty.
  • Increased wrench range and strength of melee aim assist. Wrench now always staggers mimics (interrupts attacks). Mimics stand further back to prevent players having to look down too much.
  • Stun Gun now tells the player when a target is out of its effective range. Weapons will display a "Weapon Offline" when disabled by EMP.
  • Hepatocytic Amp S-m186 chipset now properly only removes the negative effects of the "Drunk" debuff
  • Player will now spawn in the correct location when traveling from Shuttle Bay to other locations.
  • Fixed rare crash when level transitioning to Life Support.
  • Reployers no longer lose collision when recycling them, and then loading a save where they were present.
  • Player can no longer bypass ceiling collision by mantling GLOO.
  • Danielle now voices the correct response to the player's actions with the Cook during the endgame sequence.
  • The fabricated coral detector chipset and the quest-given chipset now both function correctly to scan the coral when installed
  • Fix for rare freeze/crash when in combat with Phantoms.
  • The Luther Glass quest will no longer incorrectly complete and fail after the player has already completed the quest in Trauma Center.
  • Lights are no longer sometimes incorrectly 'on' when the player enters the Cargo Bay for the first time
  • Igwe will no longer be found in Cargo Bay when the 'meet January' call is triggered.
  • Mimic's wall jump attack animation is cancelled if they are stunned.
  • Treasure Hunt now lists an objective and marker to return to Abigail's workstation once all the maps are investigated.
  • The nightmare in the Arboretum is now able to get into the greenhouse and use ranged attacks on the player from the doorway.
  • Turrets can now be hacked properly if they've been previously controlled by the Technopath.
  • If the player manages to fully GLOO the greater mimic while it is in mid-lunge toward the player's face, the facegrab animation will no longer play and trap the player.
  • Hitting a stunned Phantom with the wrench no longer breaks their animations
  • Raised phantoms and operators will no longer become hostile to the player
  • Various crash fixes
  • Various text fixes.

Share:

Looks like a nice patch... Maybe one day I'll replay with a Typhon powers build.

The shotgun was my bread and butter for maybe the first third of the game. You kind of get too reliant on it, and it's a shame because some of the other combos are great (i.e. the stun gun, or the Q-beam) and it's too easy to blow all your upgrades on the weapons you rely on the most.

I turned off the quest markers because they stopped making sense - not only because of what you've described, but also because at the mid-way part of the game I had so many things to do it was just a laundry list. Add finding everyone to the list and it's just a mess. Most (but not all) of the game's objectives are straightforward enough that you don't need to be shown exactly where things are. I'd suggest turning them off, or activating them manually.

I've recommended this game to the same people who were into Bioshock/System-shock/DeusEx. With enough meticulous planning, you can unlock every ability in the game - and that's a little disappointing. The harder difficulty level messes with damage output but with most "open" games your character gets so overpowered it makes no difference. Like with Deus Ex, you feel like you have a spec in the beginning - be it combat hacker, or stealth/assassin, or whatever, but as you get the points to upgrade it becomes less and less specialized. Suit/scope chipsets are a perfect example of this. Or, what weapons you carry.

I've had this same problem with Deus Ex where I self-imposed limits so I couldn't become this weird 100% stealth 100% attack 100% hacker mega-character.

I finished the game recently and I agree.

The game relies alot on tension, and by the end there was very little as I had a ton of upgrades and all my weapons were fully upgraded and could roll though most situations no problem. Perhaps they should have made the higher level weapon and personal upgrades cost more to unlock.

Last time I played I spent about a hour trying to find the keycard from a guy in a anti gravity room the guy was in the gravity chamber dead with the keycard attached to him I just couldn't find him for the longest time even though it was a marked quest. I got past that part and I'm somewhere else in the game.

I played the demo for an hour last night and didn't really love it, yet I didn't really hate it, so I'm trying to decide if I should buy it. I'm not a fan of the mimics jumping out all the time and kinda confused what the GLOO gun does. When I got killed by some huge flaming mimic I just shut the game off and walked away. Also, the graphics, even on 4K Ultra settings didn't seem outstanding. I suppose I was expecting a shooter more along the lines of the original Prey which I really liked.

I suppose I was expecting a shooter more along the lines of the original Prey which I really liked.

It most definitely is NOT that. It's basically a modern / modernized, yet slightly cut back System Shock game. It's not quite as complex as the System Shock games, but tells a similar story. IMO it does it quite well, but while I love the game, and enjoy playing it, I'm not quite as sucked into it as I was with the Shock games. I don't know why that is, because it really does just about everything right in my mind. However, I still have a ways to go before I finish it, so I'll reserve judgment until I do. I just had a few things pull me away from it for a bit. Still, it's a solid Shock-style game, but if you're not into that style of game, then I couldn't really recommend this game for you. I'd suggest that something like Doom might be a lot better in that case. (if you haven't played it already)

I played the demo for an hour last night and didn't really love it, yet I didn't really hate it, so I'm trying to decide if I should buy it. I'm not a fan of the mimics jumping out all the time and kinda confused what the GLOO gun does. When I got killed by some huge flaming mimic I just shut the game off and walked away. Also, the graphics, even on 4K Ultra settings didn't seem outstanding. I suppose I was expecting a shooter more along the lines of the original Prey which I really liked.

I couldn't get into it at all, I tried to play Prey (2017) a few times and loose interest really quick, I have the full game because I really like Arkane Studios previous games and did enjoy Prey (2006) by Humanhead. This didn't feel like Prey to me, they should have named it something else.

Maybe I'll give it another go at some point and push myself to get further into it and that will change my opinion hopefully.

I couldn't get into it at all, I tried to play Prey (2017) a few times and loose interest really quick, I have the full game because I really like Arkane Studios previous games and did enjoy Prey (2006) by Humanhead. This didn't feel like Prey to me, they should have named it something else.

Maybe I'll give it another go at some point and push myself to get further into it and that will change my opinion hopefully.

You know, System Shock and System Shock 2 are pretty much my favorite games of all time. (give or take a slot on this or that day :D ) I LOVE those games. However, it took me about three tries several months apart before I finally got pulled into System Shock. I'd try it, lose interest. Then there'd be a lull (like maybe I finished an Ultima game or something...) and then I'd give it another shot. On the third try I got pulled in like no other game. Loved every second of it. I've played it through just about once a year or so (maybe every other in some cases) since then. The exact same thing happened with System Shock 2. It took me 2-3 times of restarting it, and just happened to be in the right mood for it on that last try, and it impacted me like nothing else (except the first one). Play it every so often just like I do with the original.

Prey is the same kind of game. I got about 7 hours in, and got distracted by something else for a bit. Oh, yeah, it was the new Zelda game, then Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, followed by Dead Cells, and now Sundered and No Man's Sky. I fully intend to go back to Prey, and maybe it will take another time or two, and then I'll get pulled in the same way as the Shocks. Who knows. I love the game though, so it's gotta happen sooner or later.

Maybe you just need that extra try, and will get pulled in.

Maybe not though. :D

I really enjoyed the new Prey, but I agree that they should have named it something else. It would have been a fine name for the game if the older one hadn't existed.

I've had games that didn't pull me in on the first attempt(s) too, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. being one of them. Then there are others like SS2 and Wolfenstein: TNO where I'm sucked in from the beginning. :)

Yeah, them using the name "Prey" was really unnecessary and confused a lot of people.

seems like the game did not sell well so it seems a lot of people were disappointed or maybe expecting something closer to the original Prey...I agree that they should have given it another title...naming it 'Prey' feeds into people's expectations and makes it sound like a reboot or continuation

Yeah, them using the name "Prey" was really unnecessary and confused a lot of people.

seems like the game did not sell well so it seems a lot of people were disappointed or maybe expecting something closer to the original Prey...I agree that they should have given it another title...naming it 'Prey' feeds into people's expectations and makes it sound like a reboot or continuation

Buying the IP should not have led to simply forcing it into this game, especially if what they've said about the development was true.

If you want to get *very* meta, Prey 2017 a mimic of System/Bio-Shock.

You kinda answered your own question...shoot the Mimics with the GLOO gun and see what happens. ;)

I did and that is what was confusing. It slowed them down for a moment but that was it. I was expecting it to be more powerful.

I did and that is what was confusing. It slowed them down for a moment but that was it. I was expecting it to be more powerful.

If you pump them full of enough GLOO it'll hold them pretty long. Also, you can upgrade the GLOO gun to make it hold them longer. The idea is to hit them with the GLOO and then a charged wrench attack or something like that. They go down pretty easily.

Oh right, and not to beat a dead horse but I just remembered this too: the decision to stick to the Prey IP also caused Bethesda to let the lawyers go after the indie devs trying to do their own Shadow-of-the-Colossus-like, Prey for the Gods, which is now named “Praey for the Gods.”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...rademark-makes-prey-for-the-gods-change-name/

Despite the games having nothing to do with each other, and the Prey name making no sense in this game anymore.

Then there are others like SS2 and Wolfenstein: TNO where I'm sucked in from the beginning. :)

That's what was weird about the SS games for me. I've been reading things like Gibson since I was I don't know 15-16, totally into the whole Cyberpunk thing. I should have jumped into System Shock and stayed there immediately. It was probably just timing. This was in a time when I also played a lot of Ultima games, Star Control 2, Wing Commander, Strike Commander, etc. Once they did catch though, you couldn't really pry me out of them. :D

Agree on TNO. That game was excellent, and I was hooked the moment I started.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see why people get a bit miffed over the name, if they were truly expecting a Prey sequel. However, anyone who had followed those developments, would have known it wasn't going to be that. Even the actual sequel that was planned didn't use the same setting or characters, so that one would have disappointed too. (as far as the name goes, the game could have been amazing or not) I'm sure Bethesda was just sitting on the IP, wasn't making any money off of it, so they pushed it to Arkane or something along those lines. What I'm saying is that it's not THAT big of a deal, because we all know that this isn't the same game. The name shouldn't affect whether or not you like the game. Just a touch of cursory research will show you that this is a Shock-esque game with a completely different setting. Now, whether you're into that or not is up to you, but the name shouldn't be a huge deal. As a fan of the original Prey though, I can see a tiny bit of a sentimental sorta thing happening, but not enough to make me judge the new game differently. That said, maybe it did impact sales. Not sure there. This game really should have sold much better.

Does this game have a chapter select or similar at the end of the game? Or at least a new game +?

Does this game have a chapter select or similar at the end of the game? Or at least a new game +?

No...you can load previous saves but that's about it.

One thing to note: the game saves everything - so if you kill a mimic and it drops ammo or alien parts, it stays there the entirety of the game, so you can go back and pick it up. Same with turrets, dropped weapons, etc.

(Of course I did witness this mess up a handful of times, but honestly it's impressive the state that is saved across nearly the entire station.)

The game (at least on PC) uses both traditional saves and quick saves, but I couldn't tell you the difference between the two. I guess quicksaves are easier to scum through some hard parts, or right before any enemy engagements/hacking sequences. As with Deus Ex and ___ Shock games, resist the temptation and rely on "winging it" and I think it'll be more fun.

A bit annoyed that it doesn't have it in case I miss side missions, but quick saves is great. Problem is, almost 2 hours into the game, it is still dull as hell. Story isn't interesting and the gameplay is tedious. Pick up this, pick up that. Smack this and that with a wrench, and every now and then, get an upgrade for a power. And the control layout is utterly atrocious. No things you can rebind either, who the hell thought the odd computer screen viewing mechanics was fluid in any shape or form? Boring enemies and crappy weapons so far that put you to sleep. A lot "find this, go there" crappy missions to. Can't anyone make a compelling experience anymore? Or is apple, scrap paper, and scrap part collecting the future of gaming... because I want out of this future. Supposedly there are going to be better ways to tackle things later in the game, but 2 hours of collecting crap, whacking crap, and whatnot is very off putting.

Otherwise the game feels like a rip off of Bioshock, without the interesting story and lacking any allure to the environment, mixed with Dishonored's menu and movement style. And strangely, this combination seems to be falling flat so far.

Edit: Put a few more hours into it this morning. Getting annoying freezes in combat, which is off putting to say the least. With Win 10s lovely inability to minimize a program with task manager or the GUI, this means you have to restart to PC each time Prey decides to freeze. Which pisses me off, to say the least.

Gameplay wise, 5 hours in, I got two horrible guns to use and a worthless (literally worthless) crossbow. The game has not gotten any better, because apparently to get any of the decent tools you need to find blueprints, collect a lot of crap, walk 5 minutes and fight through over powered and boring respawning enemies to break down said crap, and navigate a horrible incorrect map system. The names of departments referenced in emails are different from the physical maps, signs, ect. which makes it confusing to get from A to B.

I can't imagine you will be able to use the "fun" abilities until the end game, because to even get neuromods, you need to get passwords, this and that to find a blue print, and then run back and craft them. A few options can be found, but you will lack the strength, hacking, engineering or a combination of all of them.

Hey, eventually after 15 hours of whacking and collecting apples, maybe you can go back to the same place and finally get to that safe (maybe there is a pen in there!) or go back to that room to fight enemies you already killed.

Shit game, fuck you Arkane. 5/10.

Last edited:
Back