President Warns Grads of iPad Perils

Did you know that Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld control Fox News? They're controlling your minds! They are training kids to kill Obama. Fox News knew 9/11 was going to happen before it happened and they didn't warn anybody! Rumsfeld told them. They are Eeeviiill. because, well they are all racists. I guess it's hip (like "I have an iPad and iPhone" hip) to make fun of Fox News. Never mind the New York Times and MSNBC. And guys from CNN and ABC who get their information straight from Rahm Emmanual. If Fox News really is bad, they are not any worse than the other elite news sources. If you can't trust fox news, then you have no good reason to trust any other major American News source.

I will say that British written news reporting of American news is actually not too bad. I can't speak one way or another for objectivity about UK politics, but they are a better read than most American news sources.

This just in-- politician gains powerful office, suddenly wishes that people and information weren't so free. This isn't anything new, and neither is his clumsy way of admitting it. The media is as much friend as enemy to the US President, and often it's as much accidental as it is deliberate. At some point or other, privately or publicly, in jest or dead serious, the President laments the extent to which information gets out to people and his inability to control it as much as he'd like.

It's a reminder of how important a free press is, as well as a reminder of how different the world is with the advent of the internet and the worldwide web.

You mean his SPEECH-WRITER. LOL

Obama sans teleprompter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU
Yea, Obama actually looks like more of an idiot than Bush without his teleprompter.

Like Bush or hate him, I don't care what your opinions are, at least the guy tried to connect with his audience instead of just relying upon articulate.

I don't get all the Fox News hate... Seriously don't.
Maybe it's because they're one of the few networks actually willing to challenge and report on some of the crap coming out of Washington? And because of that, they're kicking all other network's butts????

Yea, perhaps they take it too far and make news out of nothing sometimes... But at least they challenge the crap done in Washington.

And no, I don't listen to ANY news because it's all biased... Most news I get is self-researched. But if I were to choose one to listen to it'd be primarily Fox.

:D Excellent
Even the guys administering the tax code don't know how to use it. LOL

All I can do is laugh at this post.

Anyway for those of you that want to actually see it in context (yeah I know where's the fun in that?), here's the speech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwg636CQnrc

Anyway for those of you that want to actually see it in context (yeah I know where's the fun in that?), here's the speech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwg636CQnrc

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Talk about laughing at the post.

CLEARLY your video is the same speech. I mean, different city, different clothes...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

75598887.png

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will say that British written news reporting of American news is actually not too bad. I can't speak one way or another for objectivity about UK politics, but they are a better read than most American news sources.
I agree!
Its always so refreshing to read overseas news about US (usually British) because they are more objective about our politics since its not thier country.

Yeah, and see those 2 big sunlight reflecting teleprompters in the first few seconds? :)

Although I do appreciate the link to the full commencement speech, so as to respond to all the conspiracy theorists saying its all from fox and thus it's all taken out of context and so can be immediately dismissed without any consideration.

Check 7:45 or so.

No one laughed at it. He said it seriously when he said he didn't know how to work them (don't know how to work an iPod?!)

Umm... I fail to see how "context" changes anything he said. He doesn't know how to work them there techy thangs and they distract us from learning what the all-knowing government wants us to learn.

And Mr. President, since when is truth on some sort of measurement meter? It's either true or it's not. I digress...

You guys are amazing. You can clearly hear the laughter, it's obvious to anyone without an agenda it was a joke, and if you guys seriously think he can't speak without a teleprompter then you know absolutely nothing about public speaking and are extremely out of touch with reality. Using a teleprompter is NORMAL, it's a frame of reference. Even in that video, which my video was not a rebuttal to by the way, it's obvious he's choosing his words carefully and then being interrupted by someone in the audience. Everyone does that, that is not an Obama thing. Do you seriously think Obama is worse than any other politician that uses one? Do I seriously need to link 100 videos showing other politicians using one or having to speak extemporaneously and being flawless in a town hall meeting setting? We can play a childish back and forth game if you want to, should we start with this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4_pNIYjs6s

You guys aren't actually interested in what's real, you really just wanna be childish about it don't you?

tl;dr: Teleprompters are used by all politicians, find a new gimmick because that one just really makes you look silly.

Although I do appreciate the link to the full commencement speech, so as to respond to all the conspiracy theorists saying its all from fox and thus it's all taken out of context and so can be immediately dismissed without any consideration.

Check 7:45 or so.

No one laughed at it. He said it seriously when he said he didn't know how to work them (don't know how to work an iPod?!)

Uh, there was laughter. Hell, there was even a subtitle saying (laughter).

It was a joke, but one that had a serious meaning behind it - don't get caught up so much in the deluge of information that you lose yourself.

Which lots of people don't follow. I've seen so many people drop out of college or do bad in classes because they sit at their seat and browse the internet or something on their netbook or iPhone. It doesn't bother me too much, but it always makes me a little bit sad because some of those people were obviously bright people.

If you think a person is completely serious about not being able to operate any of those devices (and they aren't 90 years old), then you're pretty much insulting yourself. :p

Ummmm... He was not interrupted until after he got screwed up and lost his train of thought.

Yes! All politicians do that. My point was that Obama heavily relies upon his though.

I took a Dale Carnegie course one time and never prepared for a single speech (literally, I decided what I was going to speak on the way over) and I sailed through it just fine. If you know what you're talking about, you'll do well. Now, the one where I got some negative reviews off of was the one I actually HAD to research because I didn't know anything about the subject. Getting up and talking about something you know about isn't really that hard to do.
If you're a good speaker and know your material, you'll do well non-scripted. Pastors across the country do this on a weekly basis.

My point is that Obama DOESN'T. He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and is a poor speaker to boot.

This is kindof OT though. I just made a comment that his writers designed that speech- not he.

At the topic at hand, yes it was taken out of context. And he was trying to convey a "good" message about not spending too much time screwing around with technology. How much hypocricy one can take from a Blackberry-toting President is another matter, though.

yeah watching the video, it seems pretty clear people werent laughing at it (you heara few laughs a bit after that line though), even though it seemed like the president really wanted that line to be funny, but it didnt go over so well.

overall, i can understand the point, but he just didnt word it right IMO.

all of these devices while offering entertainment, also offer an unprecidented amount of access to information that has helped us be more informed than ever. Access to the internet via these devices gives us much more choices when it comes to sources of information for any topic. since he focused on the negative impact, i think that point is lost, especially on a group that is heavily using those devices.

plus, i think most people (maybe the graduates that werent laughing in that video) know Obama has an ipod, blackberry, etc, so the joke seems a bit hollow being partly a lie and all.

its one of those moments that isnt a big deal in the grand scheme of things, just an interesting topic for the day

I am not certain, as I didn't hear the speech live. But I have this feeling that this is one of those cases where he is trying to be witty, but it really fails when it gets written as text as opposed to the real delivery.

"With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction..."

Clearly he has some understanding of technology and knows how to use gadgets like ipods, blackberry's etc. So why would he say something that is basically a lie (besides the fact that he's a politician)? Look at his audience. He's an "old man" talking to "young kids" about technology. I think it was an attempt at self-deprecation. The text doesn't put in "insert laughter from audience here" after none of which I know how to work. Again, I could be wrong, but I think that was supposed to be a joke. Of course this is Fox News reporting after all (I'm no fan of this administration so don't label me a liberal or anything, but I can recognize FN for what it is).

I think he was trying to make the following point, but he did a really shitty job.

**Don't let devices that are primarily designed to entertain keep you from accomplishing the things in life that you need to do. Its very easy to get consumed by this stuff. You are smart college grads, America is full of retards, we need you to lead the way, so don't play with your idiot box for 8 hours a day. Somebody paid a lot of money to educate you, now go put it to use**

"So why would he say something that is basically a lie (besides the fact that he's a politician)? Look at his audience. He's an "old man" talking to "young kids" about technology."

That was a joke post, right?

Obama is anything but old, not even really middle age yet. Please...:rolleyes:

All the devices do is give you information. What information you try to get with them is up to you. You can read news and stay connected to your world, or you can post endlessly about the latest mis-quote from the president while gathering sheep in farmville, or whatever.

I'm no fan of the president, in fact I feel he's bound to be more destructive than FDR was to this country, however little "news" stories like this help no one, and don't really provide any actual insight into anything. If he would have noted that, for instance, reading drudgereport on your new iPad was a distraction, it's maybe have some merit as some sort of censorship position on his behalf, but as is, this is a harmless statement that will do little to affect Microsoft, Sony, or Apple. As a Nevadan, I honestly even feel that him singling out Las Vegas in a negative manner in a past speech was just an unfortunate statement, and probably has done little to hurt our actual tourist industry, which is predominately damaged by the economic downturn.

Some people just want to get pissed off at the other side... They should be ignored just as this "story" should be. More noise that does nothing to elevate the debate and just stokes up flames on both sides.

Ummmm... He was not interrupted until after he got screwed up and lost his train of thought.

Yes! All politicians do that. My point was that Obama heavily relies upon his though.

I took a Dale Carnegie course one time and never prepared for a single speech (literally, I decided what I was going to speak on the way over) and I sailed through it just fine. If you know what you're talking about, you'll do well. Now, the one where I got some negative reviews off of was the one I actually HAD to research because I didn't know anything about the subject. Getting up and talking about something you know about isn't really that hard to do.
If you're a good speaker and know your material, you'll do well non-scripted. Pastors across the country do this on a weekly basis.

My point is that Obama DOESN'T. He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and is a poor speaker to boot.

This is kindof OT though. I just made a comment that his writers designed that speech- not he.

At the topic at hand, yes it was taken out of context. And he was trying to convey a "good" message about not spending too much time screwing around with technology. How much hypocricy one can take from a Blackberry-toting President is another matter, though.

You're really fighting reality on this one my friend. Even most anti-Obama guys that don't participate in the petty part of politics acknowledge that he is a great public speaker. And despite me agreeing with your view on public speaking (I am the same and can generally speak on the spot), talking politics on the fly is an incredibly dangerous and difficult thing to do. Everything you say is cataloged and then brought back up on youtube a decade later. Anyone in that position deserves the chance to try to collect their thoughts and pause for the right way to say something. Whether or not they are trying to spin something or get it right. If you look at Obama's speeches in general, you'll find (if you are really trying to know) that he is in fact a very good public speaker sans teleprompter. And I daresay you nor I have ever had that amount of pressure about whatever subjects we've spoken about.

Uh, there was laughter. Hell, there was even a subtitle saying (laughter).
You are sorta right. I had to crank up the sound, and heard a few scattered chuckles (I wouldn't call it laughter) which I hadn't heard at the volume I was listening to it before. So my bad.

Whatever, he's made much more serious misteps before, both domestic and foreign

(yeah, Obama giving the UK prime minister a paltry few incorrect region essentially unplayable DVDs as a gift when he got handcrafted pens made out of a sailing ship's wood that ended slavery in exchange, yeah thats real smooth and classy there).

You're really fighting reality on this one my friend. Even most anti-Obama guys that don't participate in the petty part of politics acknowledge that he is a great public speaker. And despite me agreeing with your view on public speaking (I am the same and can generally speak on the spot), talking politics on the fly is an incredibly dangerous and difficult thing to do. Everything you say is cataloged and then brought back up on youtube a decade later. Anyone in that position deserves the chance to try to collect their thoughts and pause for the right way to say something. Whether or not they are trying to spin something or get it right. If you look at Obama's speeches in general, you'll find (if you are really trying to know) that he is in fact a very good public speaker sans teleprompter. And I daresay you nor I have ever had that amount of pressure about whatever subjects we've spoken about.

"Everything you say is cataloged and then brought back up on youtube a decade later"

A very valid point. God forbid we look at a person’s past history for truth.

"So why would he say something that is basically a lie (besides the fact that he's a politician)? Look at his audience. He's an "old man" talking to "young kids" about technology."

That was a joke post, right?

Obama is anything but old, not even really middle age yet. Please...:rolleyes:

Yes, it was a joke hence the quotes around "old man" and "young kids". I do not think he is old. I use the same tactic with college grads coming to work for my company...Act out of touch with things that are common to college age people, in a joking manner. It makes them feel comfortable.

Watched the video. His joke sucked and was poorly delivered and half the people in the background don't appear to be listening to anything he says, therefore only minimal laughter. Fact remains, it was still a joke. There's no conspiracy theory here. This is an overblown, mis-directed reporting about a small soundbite.

Good posts by c4v3man and OldPueblo.

Yes, it was a joke hence the quotes around "old man" and "young kids". I do not think he is old. I use the same tactic with college grads coming to work for my company...Act out of touch with things that are common to college age people, in a joking manner. It makes them feel comfortable.

Watched the video. His joke sucked and was poorly delivered and half the people in the background don't appear to be listening to anything he says, therefore only minimal laughter. Fact remains, it was still a joke. There's no conspiracy theory here. This is an overblown, mis-directed reporting about a small soundbite.

Good posts by c4v3man and OldPueblo.

Strange that so many misunderstood the president. How then is he the great communicator he is purported to be?

One might think the president would actually want to be understood and not create such an air of confusion. This isn’t just a few people who missed the joke…Watch his face when he speaks the line, it would appear even he missed the joke as well.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the Democrats could have put a plank of wood with a face painted on it and they would have won...

Bush's loss of favoritism within the country did more damage to the Republicans chances then anything else. Now that President Obama couldn't wave a magic wand and magically make everyone happy, the country is starting to flip flop again.

Don't worry though, your all just pancakes for both career political parties.

DUUUUUUUDE, you must live under a rock. They were putting buses in inner-cities to get people to vote, THAT NEVER VOTED BEFORE! That and I distinctly remember seeing at Wal-mart Obama hoodies (looked just like those RIP gangster T-shirts.) Never seen that for a president before.

McCain was a poor choice, too, too much like Reagan, if he would have had a good VP though, I think he would have gotten it.

McCain was a poor choice, too, too much like Reagan, if he would have had a good VP though, I think he would have gotten it.
McCain was like Reagan only by relation that he was more centrist than the rest of the party just as Reagan was. Many conservatives hold up Reagan as the example of the perfect leader, however they seem to ignore his immigration reform mistake (amnesty round 1) which we are still paying for today. Our illegal immigration problem wouldn't be nearly as bad if we didn't send the signal of "break the law now, become a citizen later" to Mexican's back in the 80's.

McCain was a terrible candidate, and Palin was just icing on the cake. McCain supported Cap-N-Tax and amnesty, so wouldn't be much better than Obama anyways. People seem to complain that GWB was an extremist right wing nut, and while he was fairly conservative on foreign issues, he was pretty centrist when it came to domestic issues.

To bring it back to the topic, I don't think you can necessarily call him a hypocrite for complaining about ipods and ipads while having a blackberry. As a blackberry owner, I can say that they are geared pretty much solely for email usage, and extremely limited browsing, whereas iPhones seem geared more towards entertainment and time-wasting activities, which is what he was talking about. So in actuality, I don't see that being a hypocritical statement.

even if he makes this statement does he really think that our generation is going to turn our back on the tech we have grown up with and become accustom too? nope sorry not gonna happen this is just something the older crowd that hasnt gotten used to, is just gonna have to either put up with it, ignore it, or join in on the fun.

i went to the mall yesterday, and I lost count of how many kids were not looking or walking straight while they had an ipod/iphone in their hands.

if it weren't for the guard rails on the 2nd floor, I'm sure most of them would walk off the edge and fall to their death.

use the ipod/phone/pad at your peril.......

i went to the mall yesterday, and I lost count of how many kids were not looking or walking straight while they had an ipod/iphone in their hands.

if it weren't for the guard rails on the 2nd floor, I'm sure most of them would walk off the edge and fall to their death.

use the ipod/phone/pad at your peril.......

Let's just remove guard rails and clean up the gene pool a little.

Strange that so many misunderstood the president. How then is he the great communicator he is purported to be?

One might think the president would actually want to be understood and not create such an air of confusion. This isn’t just a few people who missed the joke…Watch his face when he speaks the line, it would appear even he missed the joke as well.

Yup... and I said that he did a shitty job in each of my posts.

this is coming from mr smartphone, twitter himself? will the hypocrisy never end?

He also lamented the spread of social media and blogs, through which "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction".

"All of this is not only putting new pressures on you," he said.

"It is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy."

"We can't stop these changes," he said, "but we can adapt to them. And education is what can allow us to do so.

"It can fortify you, as it did earlier generations, to meet the tests of your own time."

its a crazy damn claim coming from the other side I suppose

so what does ipad replace in your daily functions if you already have laptop, and smartphone?

new technology can't just be all advert, branding and gimmick. it has to a useful enough over existing technology, otherwise it IS a distraction.

You're really fighting reality on this one my friend. Even most anti-Obama guys that don't participate in the petty part of politics acknowledge that he is a great public speaker.
No, he's not. He's a good actor.
Ever watch the Academy Awards or something? Alot of actors suck at public speaking, but put a script in front of them and they do excellent.

That's Obama.

You need no more proof than to just watch that one occasion where he didn't use a teleprompter... He sucked it up.

I still maintain that if you know what you're talking about, speaking is easy. When you have no idea what you're talking about: you get Obama without a teleprompter.

Anyone in that position deserves the chance to try to collect their thoughts and pause for the right way to say something. .
100% Agree. But instead of doing that, he tries to continue and just makes it worse.

Now that President Obama couldn't wave a magic wand and magically make everyone happy, the country is starting to flip flop again.
We're pretty fickle.

Maybe people learned their lesson of voting someone in based on false promises... And hype.

But yes, exactly along those lines... The R's will sweep. For better or worse, they'll sweep. Why? They're R's and not D's.

The problem is so ingrained within our government that no single President can fix things. It's going to take smart elections across the board (Congress).

Obama keeps making Bush look better and better.
He's more like Bush than most people would admit. He just spends more money. Way more.

so what does ipad replace in your daily functions if you already have laptop, and smartphone?
Not a thing.
Portable = iPhone (or something)... The iPad isn't exactly something I can stick in my pocket and go. If I want to stick something in a bag, I'll stick my fully-functional, full-featured, very capable Windows 7 machine in a bag.

I just don't see a niche that the iPad fills, outside of Apple fanboys seeking shiny objects.

Yea, it'd be nice for browsing the web on your couch: but how many people do that and don't need to type? Typing on something like that is just weird... Give me a real keyboard.

Didn't Stalin and Marx comment on how the various forms of entertainment "distract" people from the social goals of the State; And should be limited? Eat, live, sleep and die with the State and nothing other than the State upon your mind.

Far as racism goes... I hear that term floating around more and more these days and 99.99% of you who use it are ignorant of its meaning and most likely, simply and plainly ignorant.

Racism is the belief that he/she is superior to another simply based on his/her race... If I were to comment on Obama's love of affirmative action, that doesn’t imply that I believe I'm racially superior... However, it could be said that I might be a bigot in the sense that I'm opinionated and not willing to budge on my political stance.

Racism is the belief that he/she is superior to another simply based on his/her race... If I were to comment on Obama's love of affirmative action, that doesn’t imply that I believe I'm racially superior... However, it could be said that I might be a bigot in the sense that I'm opinionated and not willing to budge on my political stance.
"We deconstruct the vicious and demonic ideology of white supremacy with hope."
That's a quote from Obama's preacher...
Racism, I'd say.

That's the guy that Obama sat in his church for 20 years and didn't hear a word he said, remember (yea... right :rolleyes:). He can tell our kids to listen up in school for 40 hours a week but this is the guy that didn't hear one word his preacher said for an hour a week for 20 years???? LOL... Sorry, just hard for me to believe Obama didn't heed any of that nonsense.

No, it's just a bunch of gun loving conservatives. :rolleyes:

/ducks
Darn right. I like families being able to protect themselves, instead of asking the criminals to wait to try to rape them until the police get there :rolleyes:

I am so glad I don't live in a place where people are under such a constant state of fear, that they feel they need a firearm to protect themselves. It must be horrible to live in such a situation.

I am so glad I don't live in a place where people are under such a constant state of fear, that they feel they need a firearm to protect themselves. It must be horrible to live in such a situation.

You mean, in the real world? ;)

No, it's just a bunch of gun loving conservatives. :rolleyes:

/ducks

No shit, haven't you read the Soapbox lately? Lol. :cool: :rolleyes:

And yeah, there is a ton of underlying racism in this country right now. Sad that we haven't gotten past that yet in these seemingly advanced and civilized times.

Back