Presenting the AMD 586

Volucris

Gawd
I have an A+ Certification class where someone last week brought in something interesting. I guess this is where AMD started. It was in the original packaging and everything. Unopened past the plastic. Used to be in this kid's family's store, got lost in storage. I only had my camera phone, so pics arren't stellar. The fan says "Evergreen Technologies".

I'll ask the kid if I can have it for collection. He's usually rather nice and gives away things like tthis. :D

Interesting?

Very interesting. I wonder how much you could get selling it... :p ;)

You are from The nation aren't you.

HmmmDonut said:
Very interesting. I wonder how much you could get selling it... :p ;)

You are from The nation aren't you.
Yeah, same name there.

I wouldn't particularly be too interested in selling it. It'd be something cool like a display case by my computer or something like that. Like next to an old 5mb HDD. :p

AMD made some of the 8086's way, way back in the day, so it wouldn't be the "first" AMD, although it's certainly an old one and in pristine condition ;).

Borgschulze said:
AMD started long before a 586 came around.

Hmm...very interesting. I had always wanted to know what AMD started as.

I like that site. Thanks for the link.

Volucris said:
Hmm...very interesting. I had always wanted to know what AMD started as.

I like that site. Thanks for the link.

The AMD Story.

Some people just don't try.

Am9300, 4-bit MSI shift register, is where AMD started.
amd930059x19rc.jpg

surprised no ones mentioned the tag line on that box, "boost your pc to PENTIUM performance", kinda funny

Thjat was basically an overdrive chip that was popular ~10 yrs ago. Basically made your 486 a Pentium 90 without having to buy a new mobo. Damn expensive too, back in the day.

SpoogeMonkey said:
Thjat was basically an overdrive chip that was popular ~10 yrs ago. Basically made your 486 a Pentium 90 without having to buy a new mobo. Damn expensive too, back in the day.
Price tag was on the box. Didn't get a pic though. Was around 1k.

I just came across an old TI 486 in one of my boxes. Was thinking of making it a keychain, but the chip is HUGE.

That is not an AMD 586 CPU, rather the 5x86. The AMD 586 class CPU was the K5.

I had a couple of the AMD 5x85 133 CPUs clocked at 160MHz via a 40Mhz FBS. They were certainly faster than a 75 or 90MHz Pentium CPU.

O and you do realize that Evergreen was just an upgrade CPU company right?

My oldest chip was a 80286-12. Man. You kids are young :p
First AMD was an 80386SX-40

My first chip was a MOS Tech 6510 (C= 64). :p

But for PCs, my first chip was an AMD 286-16 back in 1989 (DOS 4 + Windows 2.11/386!). That was also my first self-built.

pxc said:
My first chip was a MOS Tech 6510 (C= 64). :p

But for PCs, my first chip was an AMD 286-16 back in 1989 (DOS 4 + Windows 2.11/386!). That was also my first self-built.

Damn, I have even you beat. First "computer" was the ADAM expansion modules for the Colecovision Entertainment System. It included an industry first built-in tape drive and we bought the second drive expansion so we had two. The 5 1/4 drive add on we picked up at a garage sale years later but never got it to work.

The first PC was a Tandy 1000. 286 12Mhz with 640K of RAM. Dad shelled out extra (it was on clearance) for the 128K graphics add-on and the 3 1/2 720K floppy drive. It only came with a 5 1/4 standard. OS was DOS 3.3 and Tandy Deskmate. Windows wasn't around yet.

Borgschulze said:
Am9300, 4-bit MSI shift register, is where AMD started.

Don't forget everyone's childhood favorite (from MY childhood) the Apple II and Apple IIe. AMD made the control chips in the single and dual drives and I believe the audio processor for the mainboard. I know there's at least two other AMD chips in there.

my first amd was a k-6 350 [ fried] then a 400 [fried that too] my oldest thing is a 386 sx 25
also have a liquid cooled 486 dx-2 66mhz :p :D
pretty good for 6 years of working with that crap that i wasted 1/2 my life with :eek:

Dare I even say it...my first processor was a TMS9900 in my TI99/4A. Then it was a 68020 on my Mac, bumped up to 68030 and a 68040. Also had the 386SX, 486DX2, 486DX4/100, P90, etc etc.

My first AMD? Athlon X2 4200+. :)

EdLee said:
Dare I even say it...my first processor was a TMS9900 in my TI99/4A...

A fellow TI'er eh? I had the same system for my first. =) Had the expansion deck with my 32KB of memory, Pascall P-Code emulator and a modified flippy drive. (Yes, I said flippy drive - as in back before the days of double-sided 5.25" floppies - you used a paper hole punch to make an identical hole on the opposite side and ta-da, you could then write on both sides. hehe) I had so many floppies, tapes and carts for that thing... still have the system but the floppies, tapes and carts were pretty much all destroyed. =/

May still have my TI-BUG card from when I was a member of the Baltimore User's Group.

*runs away and hides before the old jokes come out again*

GilmourD said:
Yeah, seriously... LOL These kids don't know the pain of DOS 3.1 on an 8088-2 8MHz chip. LOL
Ah, the ole "turbo" 8 MHz! After my Commodore 128 I had an 8088 with that nifty tubo button on the front. Then I build an AMD 386SX40 with 4x256K simms. I could never ever get himem.sys to recognize anything above 640K, so I couldn't even load Windows 3.1 on it. It's okay, though, as DOS 5.0 had just come out and was my prefered operating environment anyway (I kinda liked DOS shell better than windows anyway, lol) Still had the turbo button which would cycle between 16, 20, and 40MHz. I never really understood why there was the option for 16 to 20MHz, but going from that to 40MHz made Karateka fly!

DejaWiz said:
Ah, the ole "turbo" 8 MHz! After my Commodore 128 I had an 8088 with that nifty tubo button on the front. Then I build an AMD 386SX40 with 4x256K simms. I could never ever get himem.sys to recognize anything above 640K, so I couldn't even load Windows 3.1 on it. It's okay, though, as DOS 5.0 had just come out and was my prefered operating environment anyway (I kinda liked DOS shell better than windows anyway, lol) Still had the turbo button which would cycle between 16, 20, and 40MHz. I never really understood why there was the option for 16 to 20MHz, but going from that to 40MHz made Karateka fly!
That sounds almost like my next step up, 'cept it was the Am386DX40 for me. I had a whopping 8 megs total in it before I got my P166MMX. Only two Intels (that and a PII 450) interrupted my AMD love. :)

Back