PowerColor Red Devil RX 470 Overclocking Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
PowerColor Red Devil RX 470 Overclocking Review - We take the PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 470 video card and overclock it to the highest we can push it. We will compare that overclock directly to an AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB and an overclocked Radeon RX 480 8GB. We’ll even see how reference Radeon RX 470 performance compares to all of this as well.

That is beastly! Thanks for the review! RX 470 seems to be a great value at MSRP.

I've been hanging on to an AMD 7850 for a while now, always telling myself I'd get something much better eventually when I had the money spare. However, now I don't really think I need to go beyond the RX 470. Cost vs performance seems to line up like it is a spiritual successor to the 7850.

looking forward to the RX470/1060 3GB (should have been 1050) matchup...Competition is great. I agree of the frame buffer size though, unless in the near future with both consoles sporting 8GB, it becomes almost mandatory. 4GB with these cards seems about right though. 1060 with the 3GB frame buffer...Nvidia really working the memory compression eh...lets see how far they can stretch it

Great evaluation, as usual. As in your original review, unless you're extremely concerned about power and heat, the $199 price begs the question why one would get this over RX480 4GB (even though 480 will only give you +10% more performance...). It's not like the extra 4GB is going to give you much of an advantage, if any, with a GPU in this segment. Unfortunate the original $179 price we were seeing on this card didn't stick...

I've been hanging on to an AMD 7850 for a while now, always telling myself I'd get something much better eventually when I had the money spare. However, now I don't really think I need to go beyond the RX 470. Cost vs performance seems to line up like it is a spiritual successor to the 7850.

Yeah I'm on a 7870 right now and it seems folks like us are spoilt for choice right now.

Basically which out of the 470/480/1060 gives the best value as there is so much overlap, around October/November (when I reckon silly season on price and availability will be over) then I'll make my choice.

Good times!

Great evaluation, as usual. As in your original review, unless you're extremely concerned about power and heat, the $199 price begs the question why one would get this over RX480 4GB (even though 480 will only give you +10% more performance...). It's not like the extra 4GB is going to give you much of an advantage, if any, with a GPU in this segment. Unfortunate the original $179 price we were seeing on this card didn't stick...

I guess that depends on whether the RX 480 4GB will still be available, and if it will be available at $200. The supply of this generation of nVidia and AMD cards seems to be ridiculously low, subsequently inflating the prices.

At least these cards make the promised (or at least implied) performance levels available at the $199 price point.

I don't think its a problem per se - it just means that if you cant find a 480 then getting a 470 is not really settling for less.

Kinda reminds me of when GTX970 came out, 90% performance of GTX980. Even non OC 470, still getting about 90% performance of a non OC 480, I am definitely getting a 470 for a budget build for my nephew.

I guess that depends on whether the RX 480 4GB will still be available, and if it will be available at $200. The supply of this generation of nVidia and AMD cards seems to be ridiculously low, subsequently inflating the prices.

Indeed, but I do see both nVidia and AMD products more in stock now, more for nVidia than AMD but checking NowInStock, I can easily buy both product, and in a couple of weeks, prices will calm down.

It's not for me, but if I were in the market for a mid-to low end GPU, damn, that is pretty decent bang for the buck.

Excellent article. In seeking to differentiate between the 470 and 480, might it be worth looking (in a follow-on article) at the 1080p 21:9 widescreen monitors and ultra-compact ITX cases? In the former case might the extra horsepower of the 480 be relevant? In the latter might the ability to overclock be limited?

I feel that I should own one of these cards since it was named after me...

Too bad the inventory scalpers are still able to get away with gouging.

$200? Yeah that's a good deal for approximately GTX 970 performance. Considering RX 480s are going for $300, the 470 looks like a bargain. It's not like these cards are going to need more than 4GB of RAM.

And I should say, Power Color used to make some rather, not great looking cards. I used to buy them because they were the absolute cheapest brand most of the time. This looks competitive with the top-tier brands and that's saying a lot.

Nice review!

Here in Europe the PowerColor Red Devil RX 470 4 GB cost 220 € and it is the cheapest double fan version among many 470s. But for the same price EVGA 1060 3 GB Mini can be bought too. Now that is comparison i would like to see, they have the same price, i wonder how they compare to each other.

I ordered one of these a few days back because I liked what [H] had to say about it. This little card is amazing for it's price. I got the GPU/MEMORY to 1340/2100 and it runs great. I just ordered another one just today for crossfire support. For years I was content with my dual 7870 setup but that's become a bit long in the tooth. Running this as a single card has been excellent at 1080.

It's a good bang for the buck, especially if you can still get the Red Devil card at $199. If your sitting on the fence about this I suggest getting one before the prices skyrocket even more.

I ordered one of these a few days back because I liked what [H] had to say about it. This little card is amazing for it's price. I got the GPU/MEMORY to 1340/2100 and it runs great. I just ordered another one just today for crossfire support. For years I was content with my dual 7870 setup but that's become a bit long in the tooth. Running this as a single card has been excellent at 1080.

It's a good bang for the buck, especially if you can still get the Red Devil card at $199. If your sitting on the fence about this I suggest getting one before the prices skyrocket even more.

Na I think the price should stay there. Otherwise it gets too close to 480 and the 8gb 470 models. Supply seems to be great on these as well. These cards are great bang for buck at any thing 200 or less.

So me among other users I have seen in other forums is that when you overclock the memory even a single MHZ there will be a performance drop. Have any of you seen this? I have read it is because any overclocking results in less aggressive timings.

So me among other users I have seen in other forums is that when you overclock the memory even a single MHZ there will be a performance drop. Have any of you seen this? I have read it is because any overclocking results in less aggressive timings.

I haven't seen that happen, but I probably just didn't notice. I'll have to try this later.

Back