• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

power supply for sli configuration

compwizpro

n00b
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
45
I have an ultra x finity 600W that I got a year ago. I also have a 8800 GTS 640 PCIe and I want to buy another one. The power supply I have has dual rail 12V with 18A on one and 20A on the other. From what I have been reading the PCIe power connects draw all of their power from the 20A rail only and none at all from the 18A rail. Will my current power supply be able to handle 2 8800 GTS in sli or even beable to boot with both power plugged in? I was also thinking about getting one of those smaller power supplies that fit in your drive bay and provide additional amperage on the 12V rail.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974309&CatId=1483

This is the power supply that I have right now except it came in a green box instead of a red box.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2700091&CatId=1077

This is one power supply I was looking at that I could use to provide the additional amperage.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
 
Don't bother with a bay PSU. Utter waste of money. You can easily get a better quality PSU for roughly the same price or just a little more.

As for whether or not your PSU is capable of handling 8800GTS SLI, IMO, no it cannot.
 
$69,95. 450w from thermaltake (INO good PSU brand). Not bad from a single bay PSU. I choose this one for my future 4870X2 since it has 2x PCIe 8 pin+ 2x 6pin and provides 30A for EACH VGA!. And i plan to keep my Corsair HX620w.

You have no need for that bay PSU. The 620HX has the neccessary connectors for a single HD4870X2. And that PSU can only provide a total of 37A (assuming all that wattage is for the +12V rail).
 
Back
Top