Post your Workstation Pics

Originally posted by hardwired
you should be far more concerned with how price-negotiating genius Compslckr got his for $50 less than i.

i got mine off a friend who was moving back to the other side of the city and didnt want to move it. He used it for about a week before he got his dual 2100FPs. I had my car and a wad of cash and one thing led to another and its on my desk now.

To be honest, I would LOVE to know how compslckr managed to score a $650 screen for $500 less. I'm dying to hear this.

edit: SHENS.

I got my 22" NEC from a local computer shop ( i know theses places are usually a complete rip off, but i went in to laugh at the P2/P3 computers the guy trys to sell for like $600 with 128mb of ram and a 10gb hard drive.

Anyways, i went in and he had a HUGE table filled with 22" monitors, with a big neon sign that said SALE on them.

So if figured i would ask just out of curiosity how much they were, and the guy said $150 and one of them is yours.

the next thing i knew i was lugging one out of the store and trying to get the beast to fit into my grand am.

finally got it in, and brought it up 2 sets of stiars, and now it sits on my desk. (the desk bends down in the middle where the monitor is :) )

anyways, that is how i got my 22" NEC for $150.

if anyone lives in connecticut i am guessing they guy still has a bunch of them since no one ever goes into his shop

the name of the place is computer salvage in east granby CT 06026

I called Computer Salvage and they said they do indeed have 22" NEC's for $149. this so far is true, so sorry i doubted you.

there's the obvious catch, though, which i suspected when i read the name of the establishment. the models he has in stock are:
that means the models are crazy old and are in fact NOT the same as what i have, the FP2141SB. so its not the latest and greatest screen, its old-model 22's which are dubious at best. if you like it, i'm glad for you.

wow that was interesting.

yeah, mine is the FP1350, i did not notice the different model that yours is.

I am happy with mine for now, it does everything that i need it to and it looks nice.

it was manufactured in 2000, so it is not to old

Originally posted by MiXdNuTs
Whats up with all of the black clothes in the closet?

Holy delayed reply batman!

What an... obscure thing to notice and question.

Yes, my closet is almost completely full of black clothing. I own two pairs of blue jeans, and two pair of khaki slacks, but sparing those, the vast majority of my clothing is either a dark shade of gray or completely black.

The obvious question here is "Why?" Am i a goth? Dear gods i hope not. Freak? perhaps. Colorblind? Nope. Ninja? Getting Closer.

I work in theatres as a lighting technician. A requirement of the job is to wear all black almost all of the time. I find it easier to just keep a wardrobe of black clothing, both work and dress, than to keep separate sets. After a while i have just accustomed my self to it. Its simple, i just get up in the morning and grab a shirt and pants. 9 times out of 10 its a good enough match for my g/f to not complain. I dont need to separate the wash, or decide what color of shirt to buy. No need to go home to change for work, or even to go to a club. I try to buy non-cotton clothing so they dont fade (spare the crew shirts and anything from ThinkGeek) which also vastly prolongs the life of my wardrobe. Living in Dallas, it can get on the hot side during the summer, but i rarely venture outside for extended periods of time during the day. After a while you just ignore the heat and try to remember extra deodorant. I find it uncomfortable to wear non black clothing now, especially anything bright, and just about anyone i know says it looks very un-natural.

If my closet were in the picture you'd wonder similar things, my excuse is that I have terrible color vision, so I tend to stick with what I know. Green, blue, khaki. :)

Originally posted by Velda
The obvious question here is "Why?" Am i a goth? Dear gods i hope not. Freak? perhaps. Colorblind? Nope. Ninja? Getting Closer.
I wish I could be a ninja lighting technician. :p

Very nice HTPC setup you have there, Hidaglio.

hidalgo, where can i get speakers like those? who makes them? and what did you pay for them?

Originally posted by lorcani
I wish I could be a ninja lighting technician. :p

Why sir, you have realised my dream and made it public. ;) :p

BTW, nice setup there dude.....truely the way HTPC's are meant to be. :cool:

Originally posted by 1337m0dd3r
this is my old setup.. figured I would throw it on here for the hell of it.
crib1.jpg

(ps: sorry for the large pic)
yo we have the same desk

desk.jpg

represent!

Well, I never posted my HTPC setup here, ...but I might as well. lol

1920test2.jpg

HTPC != WORKSTATION

If you haven't noticed, this thread isnt really POST YOUR WORKSTATION. It just poeple posting there computer desk and/or room. So that HTPC fits right in sir.

HTPC != WORKSTATION

And Workstation != Desktop PC

I check email on this thing, game, watch movies, even compose a little PS every now and again on it.

I'd say that highly qualifies my HTPC as a "workstation".

KTHXBYE.

Workstation : <computer> A general-purpose computer designed to be used by one person at a time and which offers higher performance than normally found in a personal computer, especially with respect to graphics, processing power and the ability to carry out several tasks at the same time.

From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing.

So, I guess you are both right, as long as you do more than watch movies and use DVR functions on it (which would defeat the purpose of having a HTPC in the first place).

Originally posted by royjr
I'd say that highly qualifies my HTPC as a "workstation".

shens, no it doesnt.

workstations, as per the definition in the post above, implies that it has, first of all, components which should facilitate its use for graphics/cad/3d/etc. last i checked, none of the dozens of designers i know would ever even consider using a large-ass TV as a display. it simply cannot provide the same image quality and colour accuracy as a graphics-oriented monitor, like the NEC FP2141.

workstation-grade graphics rigs are typically SMP ones with 1+GB of mem and RAID arrays. granted, this isnt true of low-end workstations, but ones dedicated to doing serious work (like DV editing, 3d, etc) definitely need very serious hardware. the vast, vast majority of HTPC's are NOT serious graphics workstations. their intended purpose is different, therefore they are usually not meant to have the serious power workstation computers typically offer. list your specs, prove me wrong.

hardwired: why's it matter? It's a sweet looking setup, one you'd most likely LOVE to have, i know I would. Why hate? Get your panties out of the twist they are in, quit trying to start needless fights. :rolleyes:

royjr: beautiful setup! :)

Originally posted by NickTheNut
hardwired: why's it matter? It's a sweet looking setup, one you'd most likely LOVE to have, i know I would. Why hate? Get your panties out of the twist they are in, quit trying to start needless fights. :rolleyes:

That's quite evident. Thanks for saying it for me. ;)

Originally posted by NickTheNut
royjr: beautiful setup! :) [/B]

Thanks. :)

workstation-grade graphics rigs are typically SMP ones with 1+GB of mem and RAID arrays. granted, this isnt true of low-end workstations, but ones dedicated to doing serious work (like DV editing, 3d, etc) definitely need very serious hardware. the vast, vast majority of HTPC's are NOT serious graphics workstations. their intended purpose is different, therefore they are usually not meant to have the serious power workstation computers typically offer. list your specs, prove me wrong.

To (hopefully) please your hell-bent bravado :rolleyes: :

P4 2.6 mildly OC'd to 2.8, (due to heat)
TH7II-RAID
1Gb pc1066 RDRAM
Radeon 9700 Pro 128Mb
Philips Acoustic Edge 5.1
WD 120Gb SE (8 Mb) HDD
4x DVD+/- RW
Antec 430W PSU
DIGN Aluminum HTPC case

or you can look at it like this, a workstation is a station, where you do your work. A room is a station. He can do work on his computer, whatever it might be. Workstation.

Remove head from ass now.

Originally posted by princess0fdiabl0
or you can look at it like this, a workstation is a station, where you do your work. A room is a station. He can do work on his computer, whatever it might be. Workstation.

:confused: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by princess0fdiabl0

wanna be like that? fine, i'll stoop to that level:
an HT is a home theatre where you watch television and movies. A PC is a computer. HTPC is a computer in a home theater. You can watch movies on it. So what?

listen,
he has a big fancy television and a very nice HTPC. the fact is, its better suited to watching movies than getting serious work done.
is that his only computer? i'm willing to bet it's not.
in fact, i bet he has a more powerful one somewhere where he does the majority of his computing. the fact is, most ppl dont use their HTPC as their primary computer.

i can do my design work on a computer 5x slower, which i use to host UT. do i? no. it's impractical and wastes time. HTPC's are mostly for theater purposes. He's got a nice HTPC and i'm sure its great at doing that. I'll bet it's not where he does most of his work, though, and thats my point.

In the absense of my digital camera (dropped it) I made this movie for the "post your workstation" thread over at neowin.net. Its my setup as of four months ago. Some things have changed, but its pretty current.

Also, movie is maybe a little too long (too much fun playing with movie maker) and seems to be a bit on the dark side. James Cameron I am not, but I thought it came out ok.

Hope you like.

http://home.comcast.net/~im11b/office.wmv

Originally posted by linuxman111
In the absense of my digital camera (dropped it) I made this movie for the "post your workstation" thread over at neowin.net. Its my setup as of four months ago. Some things have changed, but its pretty current.

Also, movie is maybe a little too long (too much fun playing with movie maker) and seems to be a bit on the dark side. James Cameron I am not, but I thought it came out ok.

Hope you like.

http://home.comcast.net/~im11b/office.wmv
Those were great, linuxman...I saw them at Neowin also:D

Originally posted by cornelious0_0
point taken. :cool:

Agreed. Glad to see you used more-rational behavior this time, hardwired.

And yes, I have two other comps here @ home. The Mrs (unfortunately) decides to always do her papers on 'this' gaming rig, so I must resort to using the HTPC for all of MY needs. Makes me wanna pull my 9800 pro out of it and put in my cheesy Oxygen VX1 card in it instead. lol

Damn women. :(

you have a nice television.

i'd probably covet it if i turned mine on more than 5 minutes a day.

you have a nice television.

i'd probably covet it if i turned mine on more than 5 minutes a day.

Heh, ditto.....mine just lays there dormant.....but I can't stand to part with it. I mean, we've still got the 32" in the next room, but mine has been so good to me. :p

Alrighty, sry, no more off topic for me. ;)

Originally posted by cornelious0_0
Alrighty, sry, no more off topic for me. ;)
your spam is amazing. yearly average around 13 posts per day and most ive seen are pointless and un educational.

edit: yes Morpheus256, just like this and your post. good observation.

edit: my apologies, what i said was rude and uncalled for. the forums would be pretty boring if every post was on point and/or educational.

Back