Post your Workstation 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some posters and cleaned up a bit. Last semester at college, SO pumped.

002vd.jpg

001pwo.jpg

Figured its time for me to get a pic before i start building the new desk ..... Finally got it cleaned up here again for the new semester.

Going from right to left (just to be different..), i realized as i took the picture, i get too much shit shipped to me and i have to start getting rid of some of the boxes ....looks very messy...

Systems you will see: 2x HP 2740p's, 1x HP Touchpad 32GB, 1x 1090T in sig, 1x SR2, in sig

img20120124211023.jpg

img20120124211014.jpg

img20120124211009.jpg

img20120124211003.jpg

And because i am quite proud of this box, and yes thats an 8400 GS in an SR-2 with 24GB ram..
img20120124211042.jpg

Last edited:
LMAO... I have to scroll for 30 seconds to see the whole picture... I stretched Firefox across both of my monitors (3360x1050) and still can't see it all. It is a nice setup though.

Figured its time for me to get a pic before i start building the new desk ..... Finally got it cleaned up here again for the new semester.

Going from right to left (just to be different..), i realized as i took the picture, i get too much shit shipped to me and i have to start getting rid of some of the boxes ....looks very messy...

Systems you will see: 2x HP 2740p's, 1x HP Touchpad 32GB, 1x 1090T in sig, 1x SR2, in sig

And because i am quite proud of this box, and yes thats an 8400 GS in an SR-2 with 24GB ram..

Dude. Sell a couple of your things stacked up there and buy a case... LMAO

Why? Naked computers = win .... that plus i'm in the middle of working on building a custom desk, with the two PC's built into it ..... that or i personally think cases are quite unnecessary at this time ;)

Most of the shit on the box stacks = empty boxes .... i seriously need to get rid of some of the boxes lol

Dude. Sell a couple of your things stacked up there and buy a case... LMAO

Why? Naked computers = win .... that plus i'm in the middle of working on building a custom desk, with the two PC's built into it ..... that or i personally think cases are quite unnecessary at this time ;)

Most of the shit on the box stacks = empty boxes .... i seriously need to get rid of some of the boxes lol

That's an awesome idea. Can't wait to see your work.

This is my second workstation. I've set it up in a spare bedroom as a system to primarily do video capture of old camcorder tapes, and to also digitize my old vinyl collection.

Two Ikea desks, along with a Sansui G5500 receiver, Technics SL-1600 Mk II turntable, and JBL L-110 speakers. The stereo is all circa late 70's-early 80's. In my opinion, they don't make speakers like this anymore.
02b16e04.jpg

This is my second workstation. I've set it up in a spare bedroom as a system to primarily do video capture of old camcorder tapes, and to also digitize my old vinyl collection.

Two Ikea desks, along with a Sansui G5500 receiver, Technics SL-1600 Mk II turntable, and JBL L-110 speakers. The stereo is all circa late 70's-early 80's. In my opinion, they don't make speakers like this anymore.
02b16e04.jpg

What kind of chair is that?

Work:
work.png

Hag Capisco, semi-saddle style chair
Ergodepot small electronic height adjustable desk
Ghetto monitor stand action.

Gaming/whatever:
gamingetc.png

Office Star kneeling chair, not sure how I feel about it yet
Desk on blocks since normal desks are built for midgets

I would do some cable organization if I wasn't lazy.

You should show that system off on www.reddit.com/r/audiophile Too few are doing the vintage setup's at their PC.

The ergonomic chairs from the likes of Herman Miller, Humanscale, Steelcase, and etc. are actually great buys. Most of these chairs have warranties over ten years long, so they will be with you a long time, and getting the right chair really is huge.

Getting a proper ergonomic chair really does help with comfort, and if you consider that many of us spend hours a day, every day, in our computer chairs, then the cost per hour of use is actually really, really low.

Think about how many setups you see where a person's computer desk is their work environment or is sitting adjacent to their TV, etc.?

For those that do significant work at home or spend the majority of their time at a computer, I would consider it a no-brainer if you are able to afford one. Taking into account cost per hour of use, they really are a very responsible investment.

The ergonomic chairs from the likes of Herman Miller, Humanscale, Steelcase, and etc. are actually great buys. Most of these chairs have warranties over ten years long, so they will be with you a long time, and getting the right chair really is huge.

Getting a proper ergonomic chair really does help with comfort, and if you consider that many of us spend hours a day, every day, in our computer chairs, then the cost per hour of use is actually really, really low.

Think about how many setups you see where a person's computer desk is their work environment or is sitting adjacent to their TV, etc.?

For those that do significant work at home or spend the majority of their time at a computer, I would consider it a no-brainer if you are able to afford one. Taking into account cost per hour of use, they really are a very responsible investment.

Yeah I always shake my head when I see a guy with a computer worth over 3-4000k and still uses a cheap IKEA chair

The Herman Miller one is not really what I'd call ergonomic. A Hag Capisco (like I have) or a kneeling chair will keep your hips open and helps with back alignment.

The Herman Miller chair cradles you and allows you to relax back into it, the forward tilt of them doesn't work as well as I'd like.

We used to have them in the office, I hated them. The steelcase chairs are a bit better, but still not my favorite. What you want is a chair that tips forward slightly to keep your hips more open. Tight hip flexors from excessive sitting cause knee problems and lead to more posture issues further up the chain. Sitting properly the hips open allows you to keep the natural curve in your lumbar spine without forcing it forward like a lumbar support does. Ideally though you want a dynamic posture, move around more, get up once every hour, shift positions.

I had terrible posture at the computer for a long time and it eventually caused issues with my cervical spine that took a few years of various types of PT to even begin to correct. You don't want that.

Yeah I always shake my head when I see a guy with a computer worth over 3-4000k and still uses a cheap IKEA chair

I paid $120 for my chair http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5086228&CatId=1541, it's super comfortable. I can't afford another grand for a chair. The one I sit on at work is this http://www.officefurniturezone.com/product/NGL-6200D and it only feels slightly better than my $100 CompUSA chair. I haven't sat on any chair that feels like a cloud of air that I must drop $1k on.

_4022576.jpg

The main thing to note with a chair, and with any furniture that you sit in, is that you should always try it out for yourself and not rely on a certain brand, etc.. Not everyone is going to do well with every chair; we all have different bodies, after all.

No one chair is going to be best for everyone.

In my case, I use a Steelcase Leap at work and I have an Aeron at home. I actually like them both equally, but for different reasons.

The Aeron I have at home does have a good amount of forward tilt, and I use a footrest that allows for movement at times as well. My hips do always remain open when sitting in it.

I will say this about the Aeron though. Sizing is very important. I remember going to the store to try it out, and it went from literally one of the least comfortable chairs that I'd ever sat in, to one of the most comfortable, just by changing sizes.

Aside from a chair, you are correct that getting up and moving about every hour is the best thing for you. Movement is your best defense against issues later on in life.

Also, as comfortable as I find the above chairs, I really wish that I could get an adjustable height desk to allow me to stand for periods during the day. Unfortunately, at work this would be hard to do, and at home it would be hard to justify getting yet another desk. I did get permission to purchase and use one of those exercise ball based chairs at work though. So I'll see how that works out.

As for another note on cost, I used to buy chairs from Staples, but I realized at one point that I was spending $100-300 every three years to replace chairs that inevitably wore out. The Aeron chair that I have now has a 12 year warranty, so I would have purchased around four chairs if not for the Aeron. That adds up to $400-1,200 dollars. So how much time you spend in it contributes to wear and may factor into the cost benefits as well.

In the end though, these sorts of chairs are more about long term comfort and avoiding problems due to posture, and less about incremental increases in comfort over the short term. (A recliner may be amazingly comfortable, but sit in it for 6 hours a day for twelve years and you will pay for it.)

***snip***
The Herman Miller chair cradles you and allows you to relax back into it, the forward tilt of them doesn't work as well as I'd like.
***snip***

Exercise balls are nice--I am trying to swap between one of those and my aeron--but they take some "training." In other words, don't expect to be sitting on one all day the first time--your back and abs are going to need some time to adjust, but they can start to make a huge difference.
I have major back issues, so everything I do I have to do slowly, but +1 for proper ergo--you will eventually pay, oh how you will pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back