Post your Workstation 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
the fan? its stock fan for this case on in front on on side and one on top but i took the top one off and put to 120mm fans their

]
ZRFUn.png

Currently on a 5 screen command center setup. Sorry for the poor lighting - I intentionally keep the room dark to stop screen reflections. I've got plans to add 5 more screens when I get my hands on another watercooled 6990.

I'm curious...

How come so many of you keep your tower cases on your desks?

To me the benefits of putting them under the desk are many, including:

1.) More desk space

2.) Any fan noise is further from my ears and blocked by the desktop

3.) Cooler air towards the floor (maybe)

Probably a few more I'm not thinking of right now.

Setup in my flat for my last semester of college. Can't wait to be done, but looks like I'm never living a lone again, getting married 2 weeks after graduation in May, hahaha.

Congrats!

:drool:

Zarathustra[H];1038241074 said:
I'm curious...

For one, there's likely to be more dust and debris on the ground as opposed to a desk. Doubly so if you have pets. They may also claw at/bite cords.

I'm curious...

1.) More desk space

Many people (like myself) leave one side panel off/have plexiglass window to show off the insides of their case - it also helps with heat management. Other than that it makes it easier when you want to access the back panel to insert USB etc but the main reason I do it is to show off my watercooling setup.

For one, there's likely to be more dust and debris on the ground as opposed to a desk. Doubly so if you have pets. They may also claw at/bite cords.

Ahh. Good point.

We have three cats. They have not taken interest in cables or wires yet though, luckily enough, and even if they did, they have no qualms about climbing up on a desk. :p

As far as dust goes, my case has great dust filters so dust has not really been a real problem. I clean out the case once in a blue moon and never see any dust buildup.

Many people (like myself) leave one side panel off/have plexiglass window to show off the insides of their case - it also helps with heat management. Other than that it makes it easier when you want to access the back panel to insert USB etc but the main reason I do it is to show off my watercooling setup.

Ahh, cool. I tend to feel like what I want to show off is on the monitor anyway. When i bought my Raven RV-03 case I wanted one without a window, but apparently those weren't sold in the US :(

]
ZRFUn.png

Currently on a 5 screen command center setup. Sorry for the poor lighting - I intentionally keep the room dark to stop screen reflections. I've got plans to add 5 more screens when I get my hands on another watercooled 6990.

sick setup dude

I'm curious...

1.) More desk space

That's a good point. My favorite position is on the side of the desk, slightly elevated. I have mine on a homemade wooden stand that puts it so that the top is about level with the surface of my desk (so 8-10" off the ground) Makes access to the top/front edge power button and USB ports easier than on the ground, but doesn't take up any desk space (actually, it's auxiliary desk space, because I have a speaker stand, router, and modem sitting on top of it)

I cringe when I see a cramped 3-4' wide desk and the dude has a HAF 932 sitting on top of it. Really? My current desk is about 4 feet wide, and no way would I put the desktop on it (unless I put it rotated 90 degrees, so that it was behind my LCD, with the side panel facing me)

Depending on the leg room situation, though, under the desk can be pretty bad. I used to have a 38" wide desk, and the gap between the legs was only about 28". Putting a midtower case between the legs ruined my legroom and made me kick it fairly often.

That's a good point. My favorite position is on the side of the desk, slightly elevated.

Likewise. I find that this helps greatly with cable management - I have several computers. Plus it means that when you drop something down there, it's a lot easier to retrieve. :D

I cringe when I see a cramped 3-4' wide desk and the dude has a HAF 932 sitting on top of it. Really? My current desk is about 4 feet wide, and no way would I put the desktop on it (unless I put it rotated 90 degrees, so that it was behind my LCD, with the side panel facing me)

I'd be worried I would accidentally tip the case off the end of the desk :eek:

I really dont get why people insist on putting the case on top of the desk, thats just a silly waste of space. if you're worried about dust, how about you vacuum the room more often?

That's why I went the opposite route, built a shelf above my desk, good air, hardly no dust, 100% desk space + left over shelf area. Also pretty much guarantees no wires hanging down under the desk lol

I really dont get why people insist on putting the case on top of the desk, thats just a silly waste of space. if you're worried about dust, how about you vacuum the room more often?
Some people tend to open the case and mess inside oftenly, so that is one of the reasons also I have a case on desk.

normally its to showoff/admire your hardware kinda of like this thread.

plus i have a 10ft desk

Where did you get this?

You would be correct on your assumption, been with the company five years now. Through high school and now half way through college. Overall, I love my job. I hated it when I was on the sales floor though, now that I'm an installer it's great.

I hear ya, worked on the floor and at Geek Squad. I now work in the warehouse.

normally its to showoff/admire your hardware kinda of like this thread.

plus i have a 10ft desk

You spend weeks customizing your computer and over the years you've upgraded it 2, 3, or 4 times or more... I wonder why people put their computer in the floor? About 8 out of 10 people have it on their desk...

You spend weeks customizing your computer and over the years you've upgraded it 2, 3, or 4 times or more... I wonder why people put their computer in the floor? About 8 out of 10 people have it on their desk...

I'm always inside both of mine, but they reside on the floor.

Nice wall art! Also, is that the impeller for a turbo? If it is, it looks big enough to belong to a somewhat large diesel engine. Of course, I could be wrong....
Thanks! And impeller is just a generic model I created for a grad school project and machined on a Variaxis . It's based loosely on a staggered water jet/pump. Not as cool as a diesel turbo :)

Well it does look similar to a turbo impeller. You should see the turbo on an EMD 645 diesel engine in a locomotive. It's massive.

OK, back on topic. Sorry.

I'm always inside both of mine, but they reside on the floor.

Yeah. Even vacuuming every week, and being upstairs, the dust on the floor in terrible. It's actually terrible on the desk too. I hate the dust here at Camp Pendleton.

I truly believe that the dust is attracted to the PC. I was away on vacation for 2 weeks and there was hardly any dust. Once I turned the PC on the dust was everywhere withing a couple of hours. It's a good thing I have filters.

Last edited:
Here I go for 2012. Just moved home to finish my last semester in college via commuting :(

I haven't changed much since last year really only using an IKEA Vika Amon and Ergotron dual arms.

And yes the decorating still needs to be finished ;)

How to resize? Sorry.

IMG-20120109-00035.jpg

I really don't get why people cant be bothered to read a thread and see people who have explained why they put their computers on their desk :rolleyes:

^beautiful setup...simple clean elegant, and the bad a$$ water cooling setup just sets it off

gotta get a right angle desk like that

^beautiful setup...simple clean elegant, and the bad a$$ water cooling setup just sets it off

gotta get a right angle desk like that

Haha thank you. Now I'm a little happier with my setup. I need a bigger desk though as you can tell my monitor is tight on the corner space. My speakers have to be pushed out on an angle. It's a pitty because here in Australia the desks are fairly plain compared to the Ikea gallery I've seen in the US :p

Haha thank you. Now I'm a little happier with my setup. I need a bigger desk though as you can tell my monitor is tight on the corner space. My speakers have to be pushed out on an angle. It's a pitty because here in Australia the desks are fairly plain compared to the Ikea gallery I've seen in the US :p

What's he shiny thing on the right?

Zarathustra[H];1038247016 said:
Looks like some sort of inductive charger or something...
Yup, it's the charging stand for his wireless Razer Mamba mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back