Post Your Workstation 2009!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is me guys .Nothing great compared to some of the stuff here but i'm happy :p
CIMG0434.jpg

CIMG0435.jpg

CIMG0441-1.jpg

last but not least ...WIRE MANAGEMENT (haha its hell i tell you !!)
CIMG0438.jpg

Last edited:
That_Sound_Guy

Love your setup dude, its incredible. I may aquire one of those desks too myself, I love IKEA desks, but this one is insane.

Thanks for the compliment. Just a few words on the desk. Its a tall desk so if your a shorter person it may not be the greatest solution of you do a lot of desktop work. And Its a fairly heavy desk given the thickness of the glass. And hope you like keeping desks clean, as you can see from my pic, dust is no stranger. One of the driving forces to retire the 5.1 speakers was to no longer have to move them to clean around them. granted one of the very small cons on the list.... next to, they were tin cans. :p

Is it just me, or do people usually have the white 360's and not the black ones? I have a black one, and so does BuRp^^ up there. Other than that, i don't think i've seen a black one in a while.

Well, I'm both a geek and an owner of several computers. I asked the question because I have some computers in my garage that I don't know what to do with. What do you use more then one computer at a time for?

I'll post a pic. of my setup lol.

From left to right.

SEXANE - Windows Vista Ultimate 64 2gb RAM (needs an upgrade bad, but no more ram slots lol, it came with 1gb RAM)

ARGON - Ubuntu 9.04

HEXANE - Windows 7 64 / Arch64

LENNY - iMac - Connected as dual display with the 22" with HEXANE

APU - eMac

Still got theee under the left desk that I need to get fixed up. From missing hard drives, cables, ethernet cables, etc. Once I get another ethernet cable for ARGON, I'll remove the keyboard/mouse from it and use syngergy on it like the others.

http://img84.imageshack.us/i/1000685r.jpg/

http://img84.imageshack.us/i/1000686x.jpg/

http://img84.imageshack.us/i/1000687i.jpg/

the black 360's are the elite ones ...they're a bit more expensive that the white ones which are the arcade ones

bryce: That didn't really answer my question. What do you use all those computers for? And when do you use them all at the same time?

Thanks for the compliment. Just a few words on the desk. Its a tall desk so if your a shorter person it may not be the greatest solution of you do a lot of desktop work. And Its a fairly heavy desk given the thickness of the glass. And hope you like keeping desks clean, as you can see from my pic, dust is no stranger. One of the driving forces to retire the 5.1 speakers was to no longer have to move them to clean around them. granted one of the very small cons on the list.... next to, they were tin cans. :p

Thanks for the information bro.... im 6'4" so I should be okay than. Plus I like a hefty glass for a desk, harder to break by raving 15 month olds who throw stuff.

Thanks for the information bro.... im 6'4" so I should be okay than. Plus I like a hefty glass for a desk, harder to break by raving 15 month olds who throw stuff.

Im 6'3" so you should be good if you choose to pick one up. And yeah that desk is a tank. once its built and tightened down its not going anywhere. I ram my chair into the legs all the time and havent even nic'd the paint yet. Scratching the glass is my only phobia.

View from "office" door:
img0009fs.jpg

Back of Rack (Cabling shot):
img0011to.jpg

More direct view of where it all happens:
img0010al.jpg

What's what:

Left tower in rack is Q8400 / 16GB Server 2008 Standard 64bit with HYPER-V running 2 domain controllers, 1 exchange server, 1 sql server, 1 virtual center server, and 1 antivirus server.

Right tower in rack is Q8400 / 8GB Server 2003 Enterprise R2 SP2 64bit with VMware Server 2.0 running 5 ESX 4.0 servers and 1 virtual Openfiler iSCSI SAN

Dell PowerVault 775N running Openfiler iSCSI SAN for shared storage / backups

HP ProLiant ML530 running ESX 3.5 (mostly remains powered down, too hot, too power hungry, tired of tripping breakers...)

Network:
2 Dlink DGS-2208 8-port switches (1 dedicated iSCSI SAN traffic with no uplinks, 1 for VM networks uplinked to router)
1 Dlink DGS-1016D 16-port switch (gaming / workstation, server consoles, etc. uplinked to router),
1 Linksys WRV200 VPN router

Avocent Autoview 2000 KVM, makes cable management a breeze when KVM is CAT5 :)

Server under desk C2D E4300 / 8GB going to be physical client for virtual domain, will run monitoring, vmware utils, management software, etc.

Gaming PC Q8200 / 8GB Windows 7 Ultimate hooked up to 37" westinghouse

Dell Latitude D630 with docking station hooked up to 22" acer

Last edited:
lol, no I meant the floorstanding silver one that is facing to the left in the first pic.. maybe its not a speaker but it sure looks like one

Oh, that's one of my many fans to try and keep the temp down in the room. It's made by Lasko and has a big fan at the bottom for intake and two directional outputs.

ah, gotcha. - I bet it does get pretty hot in there with all those systems running

great setup though

Some small updates, just figured I would pitch in;

Overview of the room setup
IMG_0806.jpg

The desk
IMG_0800.jpg

Home theater
IMG_0805.jpg

View from the bed
IMG_0801.jpg

Computer Gear Storage, anyone else have pictures of where they store their crap?
IMG_0328.jpg

The PC on the right side of the desk (Antec 900) is the main workstation that acts as a storage server for media in the house and is connected to the right monitor on the desk,
17" Viewsonic above the bed as well as the 32" westinghouse. The first two monitors are cloned so I can relax in bed and continue browsing or working,
while I can drag and drop media to the TV when normal programming gets boring (as it often does).

PS - Yes i know my Viewsonic is dirty, i have some distilled water and isopropyl somewhere. . . Also the wheel isn't normally out but I just finished playing some NFS: Shift and have to admit I enjoyed myself.

Last edited:
My computer:

Inside the case:

Slightly newer one:

The den:

Last edited:
nice cozy setup - I love the monitor over your bed, I wish I could do that too but the wife would be very angry.

Antec case needs a little dust removing as well - other than that I like your whole work/play area

It's a work in progress....

Soon enough there will be either 3x 24" monitors (Getting rid of the Samsung... maybe U2410s?) or 1x 30" monitor (probably a 3008WFP). Also I'm going to ditch the Logitech speaker setup for seperate A/V components... bookshelf speakers / receiver / sub.

IMAG0014.jpg

Folding work table that a mall was throwing away because the screws for the support brackets were striped out. Took it home when the arcade I worked at let me go.
PICT0019.jpg

Closer view.
PICT0020.jpg

Desk I pulled from my apartment's trash area that someone threw away because it was dirty and the particleboard top was torn up. Cleaned and plywood top installed with casters.
PICT0021.jpg

Is it just me, or do people throwaway good stuff?

Desk and main rig.
Intel Q6600/ 8gb/ NV9800gt/ 1.25tb main storage, 3 SATA swap bays with 3x 1tb hds/ dual 19" WSs/ Vista 64 in a SF-201 case.
PICT0022.jpg

The rat nest, 1x stripe, 2x 850w, 2x 300w UPSs.
PICT0023.jpg

Sorry.. these are terrible photos.

Tis a poor mans setup. It's in the living room of a 1 bedroom apartment.

I'm looking at other setups to get an idea for something different.. its been awhile. I want something different but dont' need it. I like the desk being able to take two elephants playing patty-cake on top of it. I like how theres no keyboard tray... 60 in. wide, 30 in deep. I was looking for a Jerker untill the dealership I was at closed down and I got this office desk free.

Westinghouse 37W3, Antec P180 (soon to be Silverstone FT02 hopefully), Creative DDTS-100 Decoder (For Hooking my PC speakers up to the Comp, PS3, and whatever other Optical/Analog I need) E8400@4ghz, Thermalright TRUE, ATI 5870, EVGA 780i SLI, 2x2gb Gskill DDR2, PCP&C 750w Silencer, Sennheiser HD600's, HD595's, HD570's, Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Ultra's, Saitek X52, Logitech G25, Logitech G15, Logitech G9, Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic, oh and 74gb original Raptor, Original 150gb Raptor, Some old 200gb Seagate 7200rpm SATA.

Getting that CM FT02 when it comes out in prep for another 5870 if the GT300 isn't impressive. Then i'd probably need a more powerful PSU. Then I also want to update my hard drives. I'm thinking those 640gb WD Blacks? Maybe a couple in Raid 0 for my game drives. Another One or Two for the OS in Raid 0?? I hear they are faster than my old Raptors ;\. Then I might as well get an I7, X58, and memory...
This all starts adding up and getting scary. Hard forum always does this to me... for the last 9 years. Wow, to much information. I guess thats what happens when you are on the forum for 9 years and are still only a Gawd. All the would be posts combined in one... crap... i'll shutup?

PICT0015-1.jpg

PICT0017-1.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

Last edited:
I would ditch that CRT TV and integrate your desk with the couch somehow, clearly your monitor is a better TV.

LoL @ monitor vs TV

and poor people don't have computer setups like that

'tis badass PC setup

I would ditch that CRT TV and integrate your desk with the couch somehow, clearly your monitor is a better TV.

Where does the "Poor man" part come in?

Well after looking at some peoples setups it would seem a poor mans setup :eek:

Making crap money at a deadend job does not allow for anything great. I save my money well enough though.

The couch is clearly a free couch. How do couches that look like they are from the 70's always end up more comfortable than anything i've sat on that was made in the last 20 years?

The TV/Stand is an old family room TV (Hitachi) from the early 90's. I like watching TV while on the computer and there is no way i'm going to use this Westinghouse for TV. It looks like trash on SD feeds. Untill every channel is HD. I don't think i'll be using this Westy for TV. Plus I save money, thats why I don't spend an extra $10 a month for a few HD channels when that money could go into my next PC.

I'm thinking about selling the Westy for a smaller low input lag LCD. The problem with that is they are all Crap 22" TN panels. I can't go back to that.... ever...

Also... with this setup my TrackIR does not TRACK worth a damn because its so far above my head on the Westy... Would be nice to be able to use it... Maybe a 27inch LG 1920x1080 TN panel... I dunno... i'm stuck.

Edit: Oh and JacobC1983. I'd consider $11 an hour close enough to poor these days for me ;\. I just save the tiny amount of money I make really well. Your Sig makes me cry. That is an insane amount of money in your Sig. How can my setup not seem poor to YOU? heheh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back