Post your "which mobo, which cpu" questions here!

i would vote on the second ... ive heard the prescotts run really hot... but honestly i would just hang out for a couple more years or take the least expensive route (2.4C) at this time cuz intel just got into the ring with 32/64 bit cpu for us normal folks, let the 64bit come in and mature .. then research your options for the full move OS .. cpu mobo ram etc

I'd have to agree with going with what's behind door number 2... Let the Prescott and LGA mature some more ot just wait til you can upgrade to 64 like bmxer suggested.

i have asus p4p800s intel 848p chip set is great for ocing.i have a 3.0c that runs at 3.9 with ddr500 it flys.good bang the buck with my board,got the cpu at monarch computers for $ 200. :D

does the asus P4P800 SE only support prescott? or does it support both northwood and prescott?

First of all, I would like to admit that I have not read any of the replies in this thread. I would like to apologize for that, however, I'm seriously in a hurry.

I need to build a system ASAP. I'd like to stay in the high-end range, but I don't need to go absolute top of the line. Something affordable yet zippy is what I'm looking for. Now I don't know if I'm even supposed to mention AMD in this forum, but if anyone could give me a quick comparison of Intel vs. AMD, given the needs I've described, and let me know what proc/mobo/memory I should go with, I'd be incredibly, stupendously, super duper obliged!

Moog said:
Been out of the loop for several months so I ask for your opinions...

This proc and this mobo

Or

This proc and this mobo
I'm looking to go with the 2nd option myself. except maybe the 3.2C... not real sure.
BUT, my question is, could i make use of the onboard sata/raid cause right now i have an 80gig 7200rpm hdd and a 20gig 5400rpm hdd. I'm guessing no.

Jason said:
First of all, I would like to admit that I have not read any of the replies in this thread. I would like to apologize for that, however, I'm seriously in a hurry.

I need to build a system ASAP. I'd like to stay in the high-end range, but I don't need to go absolute top of the line. Something affordable yet zippy is what I'm looking for. Now I don't know if I'm even supposed to mention AMD in this forum, but if anyone could give me a quick comparison of Intel vs. AMD, given the needs I've described, and let me know what proc/mobo/memory I should go with, I'd be incredibly, stupendously, super duper obliged!

P4 2.8C
GigaByte GA-8KNXP
512X2 Muskin lvl 1 PC-3200
36GB WD Raptor
200GB WD 7200 RPM SATA
GF-FX 5950 or a 5900 Turbo
MSI 8X DVD +/-RW

Allows for some expandability. Runs stable and fast and does everything I've thrown at it admirably.

Yea look at my system specs for a so far really nice system. If windows dont mess stuff up i get constant uptime (seems as though windows messes one thing up every install, something different, but something that will bring you comp to a screechin halt)
too bad they didnt make more games for linux ... oh yea definately go sata raid off the pci bus, its really super fast load times, prolly the single most notable upgrade (depending on what you are coming from of course)

I ended up going with:

P4 2.8C
Abit IC7-G MaxII Advance
512x2 Corsair XMS PC3200

As for the rest of the components, they've been salvaged from another machine. Judging by your responses, it looks like I actually did the right thing. Sweet! At present, I've only got some older IDE harddrives. I wanted to research the various brands before grabbing two SATA's and running them in RAID 0.

If you're gonna RAID some SATA HDD's, get some Raptors.... They just can't be beat. I really wish I had the funds to get myself another 36GB Raptor to set up an array with the one I have.... But I had a bad experience with a couple 40GB drives I had in RAID 0.... One of them died on me... Instant reinstall. Damned POS Maxtor.... Every WD drive I've ever owned, I still have.

I'm going to be building a computer for myself when I go off to university.
I don't want to spend a lot of money on a top of the line system. I've narrowed down my cpu choices to either
1)Pentium4 2.8GHz / 512K L2 OD Cache / 800MHz FSB / Socket 478 (HT) (Retail)
2)INTEL PENTIUM 4 E 2.80E GHz S478 P4 800FSB 1MB CACHE PRESCOTT RETAIL BOX
I don't plan on doing any heavy overclocking or anything like that.

I also need help choosing a motherboard. I don't play a lot of games so I'm looking towards a motherboard with integrated video. The ones I've been looking at are:
1) ASUS P4R800-VM RADEON 9100IGP S478 DUAL DDR AGP 3PCI ATA100 VIDEO SOUND LAN
2) ASUS P4P800-VM I865G S478 MATX DUAL DDR AGP 3PCI SATA VIDEO SOUND LAN
Both of these are around $125 CDN

I plan on using this computer to do school work, internet, and capture video to DVDs.

Let me know what the best choice in my price range would be.

whats the big difference between the abit ic7-g and the ic7 max3? is there another mobo you can recommend, mainly for gaming use, and no OC.

the proc i want to run is Here what do you think?

I'm an INTEL guy (bro-in-law works there - want no awkward discussions of AMD and like to actively cheerlead... RIFs and all figure I can do my part...)...

Anyhow...

Gaming rig / small business main rig

From
2.5C 533
To
3.2C 800 Northwood
(minor air-cool OC a possibility)

From
ABIT 7 jobbie
To
ASUS "P4C800-E DELUXE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Item# N82E16813131464

Memory
From PC3200 MXS Corsair 512
To Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail Item# N82E16820145428 1G at $350 or so

Drives
From WD 80G
To SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model SP1614C, OEM Drive Only
Item# N82E16822152015
Paired in RAID 0 - $100

Vid
From 4600
To GAINWARD nVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX PowerPack! Ultra/1100XT Golden Sample" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16814128185 $200ish

Dumb question:
NEC 8X Black DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2500A/GW, OEM Bulk
Item# N82E16827152026
with that I won't need a CDRW drive, right? Almost all the comps now have DVD drives on them in the house... but this will still write CDs?

Lightning fried: Tivo Series 1 from '99, my DSL modem, and evidently did a number on my PC... PC boots, no vid signal..., stays online a bit (see via network), presently powered down so I can remove the HD for data recovery before I mess it up anymore. :(

Thanks for any input. Am I better off splitting these up into the appropriate specific forums? Sorry if I'm puttings some of this in the wrong spot. (This forum was very helpful to me back in 2002 when I put my last system together)

PinataUT

....new system:
- P4 3.0E
- Zahlman 7000 Cu
- Mushkin PC3500 Level One (2 * 512 MB)
- Abit IC7-G

...purchased over the last couple of months when I found good deals..... :cool: Just got the case - should get it running in the next couple of days......

Regards - B.B.S.

Hi guys!

I'm going to help my friend assemble a new workstation. We decided to go for a non dual
Intel based machine.

After doing some researches, well the more we looked, the more we kind of got lost.

I personnaly haven't been in touch. And there's quite a few different Intel P4 chips out there
now. We already bought a video card (Quadro FX 1100) and keeping his optical drives from
his old rig.

Basicaly, what we're looking at getting is:

- CPU: Intel based preferably, 2.8ghz or above. Are Prescotts worth it?
- Motherboard: No clue!
- RAM: 1gig to start with, but what brand?
- SATA hdd: Which brand?

We didnt choose the case yet but the PSU, it's definetly going to be something along the
lines of Targan or Fortron- 400w+.

Thanks ahead of time!

Heres my setup, please don't laugh and I'm very tight with money right now.

Supermicro SC501-AB Server case

40gb WesternDigital HD 7200RPM
80gb IBM DeskStar 7200RPM
100gb Maxtor HD 5400RPM
80gb Samsung HD 7200PRM
All HD's have an alumimum Antec Heatsink HD cooler on them

58x CDROM drive
LG 16x DVDROM drive
Buslink DVD+R, DVD+RW 8x DVD Burner
Digital Doc 5, sensors and fan controllers
1.44mb floppy drive (used for Document Backups)
Soyo front panel USB2.0

1.8ghz P4
Iwill P4HT Series MB (onboard 6.1 audio with s/pdif, Intel 845PE chipset, Promise ATA133 controller, Agp 4x, USB2.0, onboard Lan)
DDR 2100, 786mb of total memory
Belkin wireless pci card 802.11B
Abit Siluro MX 200

The board will only take up to either the 3.06ghz with or w/o HT, and there is only two memory slots for up to DDR2700.

I would like to hear, about what needs improved, the only thing I would like to not change is the MB.

I'm thinking about getting socket775 2.8 or 3.0 p4, with ASUS P5GD1, i915P, and keeping my existing 2x512 ddr400 sticks, going to wait until X700 comes out and see how much it goes for and how much cheaper the other cards get first tho, or would waiting for the faster FSB boards/cpus be better? I have no idea when they are coming out. (1066mhz)

personally dont drop big cash right now ... 64 bit is looming .... get a kind of older system if you really need it .. or maybe look for a $100 ebay 9600xt to give some pep to your current, knowing what you had right now would be helpful

got XP 2100 and gf4 right now, as I rarely play games it is ok, I mainly program/work and watch movies... I still need a vid card with which I can span movies over dual portrait mode monitors but I dont see that happening :)
I may wait until college starts again (october) or christmas, not sure yet, its just that cpu intensive apps are starting to become noticible.

I'm building a new computer to replace my current P3 650; so I'm looking at the Pentium 4's right now.

Specifically the Pentium 4 3.2E with a 865PERLK motherboard. I'm sure a lot of you will ask me "why", and I'll tell you. It has Optical out, Gigabit Ethernet, AGP, and it'll be free.

However, I've been out of the loop - so if anyone knows if I can get the new P4 on a 915/925 with such features (Intel board's only). The only reason I don't get a P4 with a 925, is the fact that DDR2 is so ungodly expensive, and won't give me much performance.

I don't game or do video, but I do audio and e-mail, irc, internet, etc.

Anyone?

I'm going to get a new PC.

My CPU will be a P4 540 on the Abit AG-8 mobo and either 2*256 Mb PC3200 or 1 of 512Mb.

Now, is the AG-8 the best choice? I opted for this one due to the DOOM-3 hardware guide.

Ideas, suggestions?

I have a P4 2.0 400FSB on an Abit BH7. Lite OC to 2.4 and 2100DDR. I play games and played doom3 ok with a ti4600. I would like to hear opinions on an upgrade to a 3.06 533FSB and 512MB of 333 or 400(maybe a gig later on). I am wondering for the $270 ish upgrade would be worth it to give me another 8-12 more months of ok games and general windows usage. I understand a new graphics card, perhaps a 9800 or 5900 ish could extand me as well. I'd rather do a solid upgrade next year with all the new tech on the horizon and not have a out of date VC by next year. What do you guys think

In sum a 2.4 @ 480FSB OC and upgrading to the 3.06 533FSB with 333RAM - worth it or new vid card or stick it out?

thanx

I'm currently looking to rebuild my system. I'm not a serious gamer, but would like decent performace. I think I'm looking to go with a Intel Pentium 4 / 3.0E chip and was wondering where I should go motherboard wise. I was looking at the Intel 865PE boards, but couldn't tell the difference between the 865 boards and the D865 boards. Also, what are the differences between 865PE, 865PERL, 865 PERLL, etc... Which would be a good board at a decent price. Lastly. Kingston or Corsair matched 512s for Dual DDR support. In the end, I'm hoping to be able to walk out the door at about $500.00.

Does that sound reasonable?

fibroptikl said:
I'm building a new computer to replace my current P3 650; so I'm looking at the Pentium 4's right now.

Specifically the Pentium 4 3.2E with a 865PERLK motherboard. I'm sure a lot of you will ask me "why", and I'll tell you. It has Optical out, Gigabit Ethernet, AGP, and it'll be free.

However, I've been out of the loop - so if anyone knows if I can get the new P4 on a 915/925 with such features (Intel board's only). The only reason I don't get a P4 with a 925, is the fact that DDR2 is so ungodly expensive, and won't give me much performance.

I don't game or do video, but I do audio and e-mail, irc, internet, etc.

Anyone?

You can go with an Intel i915x board as they do have an option for DDR1. That would be a better bet for long term upgradability.

[QUOTE='96DOHC]I'm currently looking to rebuild my system. I'm not a serious gamer, but would like decent performace. I think I'm looking to go with a Intel Pentium 4 / 3.0E chip and was wondering where I should go motherboard wise. I was looking at the Intel 865PE boards, but couldn't tell the difference between the 865 boards and the D865 boards. Also, what are the differences between 865PE, 865PERL, 865 PERLL, etc... Which would be a good board at a decent price. Lastly. Kingston or Corsair matched 512s for Dual DDR support. In the end, I'm hoping to be able to walk out the door at about $500.00.

Does that sound reasonable?[/QUOTE]

The D865PERL and PE and PERLL and PERLK are just the same basic board with different options. You really should go to http://www.intel.com and check that out for yourself. With intel models the D in D865 means Desktop class boards. Where thier Server boards will be a W or an S. Be carefull with Corsair Value Select ram. Do not get the twin pack of that stuff as it isn't compatible.

I got some of this for an Intel D865PERLL board and it wasn't compatible according to the Corsair Forums. So I went with Corsair XMS PC3200 instead.

Sir-Fragalot said:
The D865PERL and PE and PERLL and PERLK are just the same basic board with different options. You really should go to http://www.intel.com and check that out for yourself. With intel models the D in D865 means Desktop class boards. Where thier Server boards will be a W or an S. Be carefull with Corsair Value Select ram. Do not get the twin pack of that stuff as it isn't compatible.

I got some of this for an Intel D865PERLL board and it wasn't compatible according to the Corsair Forums. So I went with Corsair XMS PC3200 instead.

Mental note to self. When upgrading chip from Athalon 700Mhz to Intel P4 3GHz, remember to buy ATX-12V power supply. :mad: I hope I didn't hurt anything.

Building new gaming machine, mid-range budget

It has been two years since I've built a machine, so I'm a little behind the times when it comes to mobos and vid cards (procs are pretty much the same, it seems). My budget is roughly $1,000 (give or take a hundred dollars), and that has to inclue everything (tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.). A few guidelines my friend has given me:

The computer must be contained in a Coolmaster tower (found one on NewEgg for $80).
It must be Intel.
Vid card doesn't matter on brand.
Neither does memory.

Considering all of his other guidelines, I am left with appoximately Four hundred dollars to spend on Mobo/Proc/Ram, and Two hundred dollars for a video card. This will be a gaming machine, so I need performance!

Suggestions? :D

As it has been awhile since I have built a computer for myself, I figured it is time. Been almost a year, besides a video card updgrade.

Basically, I have putting this needed new computer for awhile now, because of the new technology, but I am about to cave in with the new stability of the recent "computer technology advances".

The way I see it, it is time for the new "generation" of parts that will stick around for awhile. (i.e. p4/xp 'era'). I was thinking about it and now we have a new sockets, new slots, new RAM standards. I figured it stick around for at least a year (As the XP/AMD did). So either way, I am ready to go the Intel route (Not liking the way AMD is performing).

Here is my "wishlist" it will be accompanied by a X700XT (Plan on purchasing Mid-October/Late October).

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=1002839

Critiques are welcome.

I can't choose between a 3.2E and a 3.2C. The E with a Prescott core runs much hotter but it's about 30 bucks cheaper, so I was going to get that and a Zalman 3000 to solve the heat issues. Do you think that'll be a solid setup with an ABIT IC7-G? Most importantly, are there compatability issues with the Prescotts and the IC7-G?

Thanks .. THIS FORUM KICKS @SS, JEFF! :D

I probably posted this in the wrong place originally so I hope this works better. I need a motherboard suggestion. I've a Pentium 4 / 2.4C GHz 800MHz CPU sitting aorund and want to build a SATA RAID server for backups (no gaming on this one). I've already got the 4 x WD SATA 250 GB drives, a nice 3Ware Escalade 9500S-4LP RAID controller and a beautiful Chenbro RM311 case.

Motherboard Requirements
Must Have:
- Stable
- On board SATA (Don't need RAID I have a real harware card for that). I'm going to run the OS off a 36 G raptor.
- USB2 ports
- 64 bit PCI slot (for the RAID card)
- Stable
Nice to have:
- 1 Gb LAN

I thought a nice Inter server board would fit the bill. But couldn't belive the prices for them. The S875WP1-E is $200. I'm looking for a nice stable system, what do these boards have that my Abit IC7-MAX3 don't?

As for slots, I don't need a lot mainly PCI. I need one for the RAID card, and two others for LAN cards (even if the Motherbaord has built in NICs I've had them die). So what Motherboard do you suggest?

I'm a newbie to ocing. So I was looking forward to upgrading my "stock" sony vaio pcv-rx660 desktop. It comes with a ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4B266LM REV 1.xx mobo w/ a p4 1.8 I checked a whole bunch of forums and they all said that you can probably put a 2.6 in there. I want to know if the 2.4A Prescott would work (i heard it's very good for ocing)

Thanks

Hello all,

Here is what I've got-

Box stock Sony Vaio PCV-RS 420 tower

Intel P4 2.8Ghz w/ HT
512Mb of PC2700
Asus P4SD-VX (so SiSoft Saundra tells me)
120Gb Maxtor WD1200BB HD
ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128mb video
SB Live! 5.1 surround audio card
Windows XP Home edition w/sp2

The power supply is whatever came with this thing stock as well...probably (total guess here) 300watts maximum.

Saudra also tells me that the front side bus is actually only running at 320x2 (640mhz), so you can see that THAT is probably a HUGE bottleneck for me. I've found the memory that I want through a friend that knows quite a bit about it. It's a Komusa PC4200 DDR533 (1 gig) kit. But I have NO IDEA where to go with the motherboard and power supply.

My budget isn't quite what I'd like either...I'm probably going to have to keep it UNDER $1000.00 US funds.

Any help here would be SO greatly appreciated!

I am building the following system:

Motherboard: Abit IC7-G Max II

RAM: Corsair XMS Xtra-Low latency (2-2-2-5) 1GB (2x512GB) with activity LEDs

Hard Disk Drives: 1x WD 74GB 10,000rpm Raptor (for OS and Apps). 2x WD 250GB SATA in RAID 1 (for file storage).

Optical Drive: LiteOn 52x32x52x16 Combo Drive

Floppy Drive: NEC 1.44 3.5"

Video Card: ATi AIW 9600 XT

Sound Card: Creative Audigy Platinum

Case: Lian-Li PC-65B with window

Power Supply: Ultra X-Connect 500W Modular Blue Titanium

I have put everything together but am buying the Processor, Video Card, and 2 HDDs for the Raid 1, Thursday.

I don't game except every now and then, my main use is for Corel Draw and Music stuff, and the RAID array is so I don't have to worry about backing up all the time. I may OC a small amount, or may not.

What I would like some input on is what processor to get, a Northwood core 3.2GHz or a Prescott (socket 478) 3.4GHz. The price difference doesn't concern me too much, but:

Is the extra ~$40 worth spending for the Prescott?

Has anyone had problems with a Prescott on there Abit IC7-G Max II?

Is the heat really that bad from the Prescott?

Is SSE3 needed in the near future?

I'm a long time Hard OCP reader but this is my first post, but no need to be gentle.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just bought the 3.2 Northwood. I figured this thread would be a ghost town, but thought I'd give it a shot.

What is a good chipset for socket 478 P4's, northwood? prescott? I want to do a little overclocking, i heard prescotts can get mighty hot. Also what is a good motherboard. I was thinking a 3ghz P4 and a good mobo for under $250.

Can I use a 1.6 P4 M processor on a desktop motherboard. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Back