Post your "which mobo, which cpu" questions here!

I saw this thread and figured it's as good a place as any to ask this question.

I've been debating between an AMD versus Intel system for quite some time. I recently decided that if I went PCI Express I would stick to the Intel side of things (the nForce4 and VIA KT890 chipsets are too buggy for me).Well, the situation is that my best friend just bought me a brand new ASUS EN6600GT PCI Express video card. Now, I don't have the biggest budget in the world so I don't want to go into the 925x/xe chipset, leaving the obvious choice the 915 chipset.

I want to stick with ASUS. My first and last motherboards were ASUS and I've never had any problems with them. My wife's (former) MSI was a piece of crap and one of my other friend's Gigabyte board has loose capacitors on it from the get go. So, please only ASUS motherboard recommendations. :)

Now, the questions:

1) ASUS makes a 915 DDR motherboard. How badly will DDR slow the system down if I never consider overclocking and exceeding an 800 MHz FSB?

2) ASUS also makes a 915 DDR/DDR2 motherboard. What exactly is compromised by having DDR/DDR2 support on the same motherboard other than only two slots available for each memory type? Is the performance worse? Anything else I should know about?

I am trying to keep the motherboard/CPU price below $400. I'd like to eventually purchase a 64-bit processor but it's not important to have that initially -- I have to have something to upgrade to in the future. :) I bought my wife a 3.2 GHz 478-pin chip for her Sims 2 computer knowing that 478 is EOL. I'm very happy with the performance of that chip and would like to get the 3.2 GHz in the LGA 775 package.

I have 2x512 matched Micron DDR266 PC-2100 RAM from my wife's old system. It is because I have this RAM that I am even considering the DDR/DDR2 board.

Given the above, what would you do? :D

EDIT: No one needs to speculate on this any more. I am going DDR only on this board so I ordered an ASUS 915/DDR board. I'll just replace the cpu/mobo in 12 to 16 months and give my wife the extra gig of ram. :D

here is the current CPU im looking at that will replace my beloved clawhammer.

http://home.comcast.net/~toida/42.JPG

570J ES 3.8ghz
its either that,,, or a 560J 3.6ghz ES 64bit chip.... i havent read too much good things about the 64bit chips so i think id wait until the next level of intel 64bit chips are released.

now i am told by Bitchbreaker, bless his modding little heart, that these chips when you overclock them scale like freaks, meaning the more you overclock them the performance increase is just crazy.

now.... given that fact can i expect to get the gaming performance i am looking for.. meaning i ASSUME its just going to CRUSH this little clawhammer.,,,, ????

now,,, assuming its going to be what i hope it to be... i need a DDR mobo... unless i can trade my ocz el platinum pc3200 rev 2 tccd for some good ddr2.

can someone, even though i will read thru this thread,, give me the best "bang for your buck" ddr2 and ddr mobo's for the lga775 chips. ? or do they not make ddr 775 mobo;s ?

also i know pci express is the in thing,, but i have a funny feeling thats exactly what it is.. a fad... and im not all that eager to move up to it,, all though i will if i have to... are all LGA775 mobo's pci express ?

tons and tons of thanks in advance gentlemen

Cyber

here is the current CPU im looking at that will replace my beloved clawhammer.

http://home.comcast.net/~toida/42.JPG
---------------
570J ES 3.8ghz
its either that,,, or a 560J 3.6ghz ES 64bit chip.... i havent read too much good things about the 64bit chips so i think id wait until the next level of intel 64bit chips are released.
---------------
The cost difference between the 6xx and 5xx series CPU are worth the EXTRA 1 Meg of L2 cache. Screw the EM64T, its all about the cache baby!

---------------
now i am told by Bitchbreaker, bless his modding little heart, that these chips when you overclock them scale like freaks, meaning the more you overclock them the performance increase is just crazy.
---------------
My 520 does OC well, but not as well as my 660 does at stock voltages and stock cooling.

---------------
now.... given that fact can i expect to get the gaming performance i am looking for.. meaning i ASSUME its just going to CRUSH this little clawhammer.,,,, ????
---------------
Depends on what your doing with it

---------------
now,,, assuming its going to be what i hope it to be... i need a DDR mobo... unless i can
trade my ocz el platinum pc3200 rev 2 tccd for some good ddr2.

can someone, even though i will read thru this thread,, give me the best "bang for your buck" ddr2 and ddr mobo's for the lga775 chips. ? or do they not make ddr 775 mobo;s ?
--------------
They do make DDR LGA775 boards, as well as the Abit AS8 [3rdeye] which does AGP8 and DDR with LGA775 socket CPU. Downside its that it is not a 92x chipset, its a 865 chipset.

-------------
also i know pci express is the in thing,, but i have a funny feeling thats exactly what it is.. a fad... and im not all that eager to move up to it,, all though i will if i have to... are all LGA775 mobo's pci express ?
------------
I just took the step all the way to PCI-Express and I'm not ever looking back, So worth the cash its not even funny.

Chunked down for a Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE, an Intel 660 3.6Ghz cpu, and OCZ DDR2 ram, slapped down on a X850XT PE and well lets just say I LOVE it. but then I better for the 2k that those 4 parts cost me.

Anyway.
Are they fast? hell yah!
Can they out perform Athlon64? depends on the app. but most things like day to day use, without a doubt.
Worth the money? depends on you.

------

BaldHeadedDork said:
Dual channel is a motherboard feature. It sends data at four times during each clock cycle instead of twice like regular DDR, or once per clock channel like old SDRAM. This means you're able to put a lot more data through the system per second compared to the old single channel DDR boards.

BHD

Not quite, though the resulting bandwidth is close to the same as single channel QDR, DCDDR is 128 bits wide, instead of 64 bits wide. Data is still sent only twice per clock to the northbridge.

The northbridge does use QDR at 64 bits to talk to the CPU, but that has no affect on the RAM signaling.

==>Lazn

martmann said:
I am building the following system:

Motherboard: Abit IC7-G Max II

Has anyone had problems with a Prescott on there Abit IC7-G Max II?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just bought the 3.2 Northwood. I figured this thread would be a ghost town, but thought I'd give it a shot.

The NW was a good buy, it is really a great processor.

As for the MB, the only problem with the Max II is that your northbridge fan WILL DIE, get a aftermarket NB cooler for it when you buy it. (passive is fine, it doesn't make a lot of heat, but the stock heatsink and fan for the NB really sucks)

XP-Home yuck, but to each their own.. Pro is really worth it in my mind if you can afford it.

==>Lazn

err is it worth it for about $200?

going from AXP3000+, A7N8X-D, 1GB DDR333
to a 3.0C, P4P800, 1GB DDR400

i doubt i'll see a lot of difference, but i have two spare 3.0C's and one 2.8E lying around without motherboards or anything so I may as well as put them to use on something.

Truth be told, I had some issues with my current AXP system ever since I went from my old 2.66B on rambus and i'm just looking for encouragement to get an intel system again.

I don't know much about building computers but I'm getting an Intel Pentium 4 560 - 3.6GHz - 800MHz FSB - 1MB Cache - Hyper-Threading - Socket 775 (LGA775) - Prescott - 0.09 micron CPU. I basically need everything else so i'm looking for some good values for a gaming PC. I need a motherboard with pci express, video card, ram(ddr 400 pc 3200), power supply, heat sink and fan. If anyone could help me with what to get, that would be great. Thanks.

BaldHeadedDork said:
Dual channel is a motherboard feature. It sends data at four times during each clock cycle instead of twice like regular DDR, or once per clock channel like old SDRAM. This means you're able to put a lot more data through the system per second compared to the old single channel DDR boards.

You'll use the same memory for a dual channel or a single channel DDR setup. But you'll have to use two (or four) seperate sticks of memory, you can't run Dual DDR with one or three sticks of memory. Dual DDR memory must also be the same size and speed, and should be from the same maker. Some memory makers like Corsair and Mushkin offer paired memory sticks for Dual DDR applications, but they are the same memory sticks that you can buy individually.

What memory to buy depends on if you are going to overclock. If you're going to run your system at the default speed there is no reason to buy anything faster than a pair of good, low-latency PC3200/DDR400 sticks. Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, OCZ and Mushkin all have good offerings in both 256 and 512 sizes.

It gets trickier if you're going to overclock. There is PC4000 memory available that will run at DDR500 with very loose timings. There is also PC3500 with tight timings that can sometimes overclock to 500 and beyond if you loosen the timings. And, as always with overclocking, there are no guarantees of performance either way. Ten guys might get Geil memory that overclocks like a mother but your stick might only be capable of the stock rating.

I'm a big fan of Mushkin for their level of service. They're not just the best among the memory makers, Mushkin has the best service and support of any PC component maker I've dealt with. If you can buy through a UK distribuitor or through direct import, I'd strongly recommend either the PC3500 or PC4000 Low Level Black 2 memory.

Geil has been getting some great performance recently, but this is a company with a long history of inconsistent performance and troubled service. I still recommend Corsair over Geil, but if you're willing to take a chance you might want to put Geil after Mushkin.

BHD

wonderfull explanation i had been searching 4 a long time for somebody to explain Dual channel for me the way u did................but can any body explain to me what is overclocking and how i can choose to overclock or not??

Network_sheikh said:
wonderfull explanation i had been searching 4 a long time for somebody to explain Dual channel for me the way u did................but can any body explain to me what is overclocking and how i can choose to overclock or not??

Perhaps wonderfull but wrong. Dual Channel is 128bits wide instead of 64bits wide, this is why you need at least two sticks of RAM, some memory controllers can run dual channel with 3 memory sticks, but most can not. It does not send data four times per clock.

Overclocking is running something faster than what the vendor sold it at. EG: running a 2.8ghz CPU at 3.2ghz. This can be done because there is no real difference between electronic chips, they are all made on the same line, and all work the same way.. some are "better" in that they have fewer impurities and thus can run faster, but it is not a fixed speed faster. So when you overclock, you take advantage of the fact that your "slower CPU" is really the same as a faster one.. this voids your warranty, but give you better performance.

==>Lazn

Ordered a new Motherboard, CPU and RAM.
Motherboard is the Asus P5WD2 Premium, I955X
CPU Intel 650
RAM Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2

What sort of OC can I expect to get out of it? I have been searching everywhere for people who have a similar set up, but have come up short.

SteveS said:
Ordered a new Motherboard, CPU and RAM.
Motherboard is the Asus P5WD2 Premium, I955X
CPU Intel 650
RAM Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2

What sort of OC can I expect to get out of it? I have been searching everywhere for people who have a similar set up, but have come up short.

The thing about overclocking is it really comes down to the EXACT parts you have. Every system is different and in that there is no definitive number that someone can give you. Each card/chip/path is a tiny bit different. each chip handles electronic migration a little different. So its really hard to say.

An "average" is more like it, and on average you can expect 400-500mhz overclock with no voltage changing. When you start to push higher then that you will most likely need to tweak with the voltages as well. When you REALLY start pushing, you will also have to play with your memory timings as well. And I have found DDR2 very finicky with timings.

Also another thing nobody seems to talk about is how VERY VERY sensitive SATA is to FSB timings. Take it too high and watch your RAID puke every time. Even when your able to lock your AGP/PCI at 66/33 the SATA still are bothered. Luckily most of the time all you have to do is go into the bios, turn OFF the raid, lower the OC down some, reboot go into the bios and re-enable the raid, and on next reboot the raid firmware will bitch but ask if those are the proper drives, you say yes, reboot and all is well again.

Anyway. There are many things to consider when you want to overclock. Things like what will get me the most noticeable improvement. I have found on the i925 that going high with the OC is not always best solution. I find much more tangible increases by lowering my latency and timings within the RAM and only mildly overclocking the chip. The results are very very snappy desktop and RARELY seeing the old reboot in Doom3 :p

Hey guys, I need some help. I am upgrading from my P4 1.8 and have to choose between:

P4 2.4A 533/1MB cache (Retail, 3yr warranty + HSF) - no Hyper Threading
and
P4 2.8E 800/1MB cache (Bare, 1yr warranty no HSF) - this one supports HT

I am trying to figure out whether or not the 2.8 and HT benefit is worth it.

The difference in price is only $32 and I won't have to spend extra on the HSF since I already have it. The RAM I have that I was going to use is PC2700 (2x256 = 512MB) PNY, which doesn't run dual channel. I was also considering doing PC3200 (2x512 = 1GB) Kingston so that I can run it dual channel. But that is not too crucial, as I can get by with the 512 MB RAM (or so I think). Does running dual channel truly give extra benefit?

Also, it will be used mainly for everyday stuff, but if I game, I will game on this system. Other applications would possibly include music creation software (Sony Acid, Ableton Live). I am also adding a Sony DL burner to this (it is in the box, but I wanted to set the processor so that my XP Pro Retail doesn't mess me up after the change). My board supports HT and everything else is in place after having a blown PSU (switched to the new Antec 350W ATX 2.0 - the old one popped and died, not sure if the 2.8Ghz had anything to do with it, or it was just a cheapy), but I need help with the processor choice. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

k-dogg said:
Hey guys, I need some help. I am upgrading from my P4 1.8 and have to choose between:

P4 2.4A 533/1MB cache (Retail, 3yr warranty + HSF) - no Hyper Threading
and
P4 2.8E 800/1MB cache (Bare, 1yr warranty no HSF) - this one supports HT

I am trying to figure out whether or not the 2.8 and HT benefit is worth it.

The difference in price is only $32 and I won't have to spend extra on the HSF since I already have it. The RAM I have that I was going to use is PC2700 (2x256 = 512MB) PNY, which doesn't run dual channel. I was also considering doing PC3200 (2x512 = 1GB) Kingston so that I can run it dual channel. But that is not too crucial, as I can get by with the 512 MB RAM (or so I think). Does running dual channel truly give extra benefit?

Also, it will be used mainly for everyday stuff, but if I game, I will game on this system. Other applications would possibly include music creation software (Sony Acid, Ableton Live). I am also adding a Sony DL burner to this (it is in the box, but I wanted to set the processor so that my XP Pro Retail doesn't mess me up after the change). My board supports HT and everything else is in place after having a blown PSU (switched to the new Antec 350W ATX 2.0 - the old one popped and died, not sure if the 2.8Ghz had anything to do with it, or it was just a cheapy), but I need help with the processor choice. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

1: Go for HT and 800 FSB, 533 and no HT will be a major performance hit.
2: ANY ram runs in dual mode as long as they are matched. IE both PC2700 both 256 Megs. Running in dual
channel mode basically doubles the bandwidth of the memory, so YES it makes a difference.
3: ANY time you change chipsets, you are just waiting for XP to puke, But its easy enough to fix. Just boot to CD
when it says searching for previous version of windows and finds your old windows. just select the "Repair" option
and about 30 minutes later you should be back up and running no problems.
4: Any current rig will run "ok" on 350watts. But it has to be a quality PSU or your going to be seeing a a LOT
of BSOD's.

Take my advice. Pay a tad more and go with a tad higher CPU, you can never have too fast a processor. If your going to
be doing digital work [i.e. Video, Graphics, ETC] then you do not WANT a slow processor and I am sorry but a 2.8 is BUTT SLOW.

can someone point me to a good write up comparing the various lines of pentiums? specifically i'm interested in a 3.0ghz chip with HT. I looked on newegg and found procs from 175-500+$ i havent looked into this stuff in 3 yrs and realize A LOT has changed......

There are about 4 different P4 3.0's on the egg, LOL, isn't that a kicker.
There is the following:
Socket 478 Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 1 Meg L2
Socket 775 Pentium 4 530j 3.0 Prescott
Socket 775 Pentium 4 630 3.0 Prescott
Socket 775 Pentium 4 830 3.0 Smithfield

I am leaving out the Extreme Editions. But here is a run down

3.0E = no EMT64, has 1 Meg L2 Cache, supports MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
530j = no EMT64 has 1 Meg L2 Cache, supports MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
630 = EMT64 [crap] has 2 Meg L2 Cache, supports EMT64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
830 = Dual Core 630, Shared 2 Meg L2 Cache, supports EMT64, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

other then the 830 performance is pretty constant, where the only real difference in the chip for the end user, is the socket type. The 830 acts pretty much the same as 2 630's, but without Hyperthreading. So its only marginally better then a single 3.0 WITH hyperthreading, not enough to justify the need for a i955x chipset motherboard.

Personally I would go with the 630 which is onsale for 174 :) it overlocks well to at LEAST 3.4 with little to no voltage kick and hardly any heat difference. It runs hot either way :)

Hope that helps.

Wich of these bould be better buy:

Pentium 531 or Pentium 630?
Both of those cost exact same.
I´m looking for good overclocking and great speed :)
I´m using Abit AS8 mother board with few mods.

BulldogPO said:
Wich of these bould be better buy:

Pentium 531 or Pentium 630?
Both of those cost exact same.
I´m looking for good overclocking and great speed :)
I´m using Abit AS8 mother board with few mods.

630 = 2 Meg L2 Cache running @ 1.38 Volts = $171.99
531 = 1 Meg L2 Cache running @ 1.40 Volts = $184.49

Personal Experience with th 6xx CPU have shown great overclocking. Using standard voltage and cooling you can normally get 400 mhz oc, with water, slightly more :)

So if anybody still reads this thread, I'm looking at building a computer, its my first time from scratch, but I've definitly had experience putting in the ram and stuff like that.
Anyways, so I'm kinda on a budget to build a comp for say 350 bucks or so... I know its not very high, but I want to get the best performance I can, this price doesn't include external I/O like screens and stuff. So yeah, I've looked at all types of things, basically is HT or EM64T worth waiting for a good deal on? what pin config should I go for... Dual core? if the price is right, which I doubt. My limit is somewhat flexible. I'll take advice for stuff other then the CPU and Mobo, if you willing to offer. Keep in mind if its gaurunteed to work I'll take used stuff too.

Is hyperthreading worth it, in short yes. The ability to send 2 instructions per clock is a very nice thing. with the p4's LOOOONG pipe, and its early branch prediction, it NEEDS to be able to send 2 instructions per click :p.

My biggest problem with AMD up to now is the fact that I normally have 50+ tasks running, and I STILL want to play a game lol. On the single core Athlon this [and the same with Celeron's and P4's without hyperthreading] it BOGS REALLY easily.

Server is different lol, my SQL Server runs almost twice as fast on my dual xeon with hyperthreading turned off. strange.

Anyway

DO NOT buy old tech. LGA775 with PCI-E is the only option. You may save 60 bucks going with 478 but your shooting yourself in the foot doing it.

High End Recommendation:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127213
ABIT AW8 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 955X 178.00

This is pretty much a perfect motherboard, I have the 3rd eye and has not given me one issue since day one. Is dual core ready, and is an overclocker's dream :) But its not cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116195
Intel Pentium 4 660 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3600F - 409.00

Awesome chip. fast even BEFORE overclocking. Crap EMT64 [its functional but thats all] but 2 Megs L2, I have run mine @ 4.0ghz since the day I got it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227046
OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ26671024ELDCGE-K - 129.93

AWESOME ram, 4,4,4,8 for DDR2 is not bad :p and it oc's like its nothing,

$716.00

Mid End

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127216
ABIT AL8-V Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - 123.00

Have 2 of these out and both of them love them. Fast, cheap, overlockable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116196
Intel Pentium 4 650 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3400F - 275.00

See Above, just a little slower. and a LOT cheaper [this is pretty much the sweetspot cpu]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227046
OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ26671024ELDCGE-K - 129.93

See Above.

$527.00

For the 350 area go with a GOOD gigabyte mb, a 3.0 P4 [620] and a gig of Kingston HyperX DDR ram.

Hope it helps.

Which mobo will give me the best overclocking results with my Intel Pentium 4 Prescott Socket 478 CPU? This ASUS seems to be a bottleneck in itself and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Hey... looking for the next gen boards who'll have 975 chipsets (for Intel's next procs)... I know Foxxconn and Gigabyte both have one coming out soon (or out now), I was just curious when everyone else (ASUS, Abit et al) are planning on putting theirs out, also? My next build is going to be Conroe, but I want to start buying things in mid January (case, RAM, possibly mobo, watercooling getup, opticals, PSU etc), so that I can spread the cost out over as long as a time that I can (hopefully timing it so the CPU is the last thing that I have to put in). Any suggestions? Ideas? Thanks much!

Abit IC7-G has always been an awesome 478 oc board. rock solid stable. great oc ability. only downside is the northbridge fans tend to ALL FAIL. but if it happens the board doesnt seem any less stable, and abit will send you a free replacement :)

Hiho all,

so I have the mobo that came with my Dell SC420. It has an Intel E7221chipset. I remember reading somewhere that the newer Dual Core Intel CPUs may work with older chipsets? Did I just dream that or is it reality (something about not needing an arbitration chip on the mobo anymore)? If it is real, can I plug in a nice, new DC cpu into my old server?

Ok here goes the specs. P4 3gig Prescott
asus P4p800 se
2x512 xerox pc3200
Thermalright xp-90
nvidia 6600 gt PNY

Ok now that is done, it is oc'ed to 3.6 with fsb of 960. I am pretty sure the weak link is my ram. I want more speed and not sure wich ram to buy. Also any other recomendations on the setup would be nice.

Hello,

I have a Dell Dimention 8200 desktop computer, and am thinking of upgrading/replacing it. However, I really have no clue as to what kind of newer P4 processors my motherboard can handle. As I have done my reasearch a little, I found a program (CPU-Z), that gave me the following info:

Name: Intel Pentium 4
Code Name: Williamette
Specification: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.7GHz

and in the "Mainboard" section:
Chipset: Intel i850 rev. A3
Southbridge: Intel 82801BA (ICH2)

My computer has 512 MB or RDRAM, though I don't know if this is any good, or if it's still widely available.

So, what kind of processor can my chipset support? I already looked at Intel.com, but the site isn't very helpful.

Regards,

Chris

P.S. I much rather upgrade than buy a new PC. I'm not looking for great graphics, just something that will better handle multitasking and stuff

Oooo, I think you could be stuck with that one. 865's support higher P4's but I believe that Willamette is Socket 423, crappiest one. Its best just getting new stuff, because thats REALLY old.

i think the 1.7G Willamette came in socket 478 also. my friend is still running one i think.

even so, i don't think you will be able to find any s478 cpu's that that board can support. i suspect that it can only support northwood cpu's that maxed at 3.06GHz hyperthreaded version.

prescot s478 use a lower voltage and is unlikely to be supported by your board.

because the Willamette was so damn slow compared to the northwoods, it might be worth getting a second hand northwood.

that said, because you are using a dell, it all depends on what cpu the bios supports really, and we can't be sure.

im lookin to build a new comp should i get an asus P5ND2-SLI and a pentium 4 640 prescott 800MHz with the 2 sli cards or the asus p5wd2 and the pentium d 930 or should i just add the 930 to the sli set up

Pixel_Humper said:
My friend just hooked me up with this proc
Intel Pentium D 940 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core Processor
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116239)

I am looking for some mobo recommendationsI have a 6800 GT AGP but I am willing to sell that and go PCIx16. I would also like onboard sound to keep costs down and I am not a real audiophile anyways.

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.

chrisf6969 has a 920 and the Asus P5WD2-E Premium I think, and is having some great results: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1003752&page=2&pp=20

Quick and simple:
$460 limit for the ENTIRE box (mobo+cpu+ram+case/psu)
want a gig of ram, needs to host 64 player BF2 games... ect

Possible?
Thoughts?

I was hoping dell would have another deal on the SC420's but alas... those days seem to have passed.

Im looking at going with a P-D 805, and IM looking for a good PCI-E motherboard that will be able to OC decently, for hopefully under 100. Ive been an AMD guy for a while but with a $150 duallie that is OCing to 3.7... Im switching. Also, what is a good cas for DDR2 ram?

Thanks.

Im looking to build something with a Cedar Mill, since those have already been released and newegg sells them. Using a PCI-E 6800 Ultra ( These have those nice big sinks that tend to keep the card cooler, and overclockability is better than a 6800 GT ), with a P4 631 Cedar Mill (3.0 GHz, HT Compatible), and a Scythe Ninja, I should get some nice clocks out of it. I might go pentium D with a Presler if my budget allows, because I really wanted to advance to dual core stuff.

Alright....Ive been ready all over the forum and Im still stumped....

Im building a new comp.

I dont know if i should put the P4 D950 or the P4 Prescott 670 3.8ghz

system will be used for gaming and dvd stuff, but more for gaming

Unless I should scratch the Intel idea and go with AMD????

Back