Post your "which mobo, which cpu" questions here!

soxfan894 said:
Alright....Ive been ready all over the forum and Im still stumped....

Im building a new comp.

I dont know if i should put the P4 D950 or the P4 Prescott 670 3.8ghz

system will be used for gaming and dvd stuff, but more for gaming

Unless I should scratch the Intel idea and go with AMD????
If gaming is your primary concern and you want the best you can get, then you might consider asking the AMD guys over there about some solutions they can hook you up with (Not that we can't, but the Intel forum is for Intel builds IMO). That said, both processors you have picked are good - but for varying reasons.

The Pentium 4 670 3.8GHz will offer a better gaming experience (Due to its higher clock speed mainly) in games that are not multithreaded-capable.

The Pentium D950 will offer a fluid desktop experience and the ability to multitask far better than the Pentium 4 670, and will still offer a competitive gaming experience. Rather expensive though, and most tend to buy a lower end Pentium D 9XX (930) and overclock it to D950 speeds easily with stock cooling, thus saving you money on your purchase.

The reality is that contrary to popular !!!!!! belief, even an Intel 3.4GHz can offer a solid gaming experience amongst many other things - although AMD will offer you the superior gaming experience for your money. If you're dead set on Intel - I would suggest overclocking a Pentium D930 or similar model to the same speeds you're seeing, since the word is that it's pretty easy. But for the raw game performance when the game isn't multithreaded-capable, the 3.8GHz is likely to come out on top. There are other things like the better cache on the D9XX (Speed-wise) to take into account but generally, I do believe the 670 will do better in gaming. The D9XX will provide a fluid computing environment (With a significant boost over the 670 when the game is multithreaded) and still deliver a solid gaming experience.

Thanks alot for the post... That cleared up many question. You mentioned games thare are multithread capable...What "popular" games out are mulithread....Im probably going to be plaing alot of F.E.A.R, and Prince of Persia those types of games...Along with some racing games.

Well I just did a google search on multithreading games...Seems like its a logical idea to go with a chip that has multithreading...Im just torn between the two chips..Ive always been an "intel geek" and not really sure about AMD...

Oh what to do..... :confused:

Hi, im comming from a system with a AMD athlon 3700+ to an intel system. I was wondering what would be the best processor/mother board to switch two. Im currently looking at the P4 631 ceder mill cause the temps are lower then the prescott processors. is that a good choice?.

As for a mobo i was looking at an ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe. If you have any expearice with either of the products please leave any suggestions/comments.

The reason im switching from AMD to INTEL is cause the AMD system im on now crashes alot and doesent really like to multi task like it should. i dont know if i have it over clocked wrong or what but think ill give intel a try.

The Cedar Mills are probably a great choice, but if your looking for real performance, consider waiting for Conroe to come. The 2.66 GHz Conroe from Intel knocks out an FX-60 overclocked to 2.8 GHz by 20% on average. Shocked? Heres the Anandtech review: http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713 . I'd say its worth the wait, because when the quad-core and 3.0GHz+ flavors of those CPU's , AMD is as good as blown away. Im personally not a fan of the companies but Intel is reclaiming its place with this one.

Shouldnt make a difference, that chipset should work with NV cards too.

I currently am running a Dell system (STOP LAUGHING AT ME!) The reason behind it is they had a 40% off sale on desktop systems a while back, and when I bundled two monitors with it, it became an amazing deal, cheaper than I could build one, actually.

It's running a P4 3.6, and it's noisy as hell (even after installing a second fan on the CPU heatsink.)

Here's my thoughts... I want to keep the components, but swap out the case, PSU, and motherboard and install a water cooled system.

I'm very new at overclocking, so this would be a good learning experience as well, and it probably won't happen for a bit due to financial concerns. So in these preliminary stages, I'd like to know what motherboard you folks suggest I pair with the processor.

Stipulations:
I don't care about running SLI any time soon, so it doesn't have to be SLI ready. And I refuse to use an MSI motherboard due to previous bad experiences.

Im gettin in Pentium 4 660P, just wanted to know whats the best chipset for it so i can find a MoBo :)

The 660 is a very good CPU, but If I was you I would look at the 661 which includes Virtualization Technology, or the the Petium D 960 which is a Dual core 3.6Ghz with VT. While hyperthreading is nice, it is not nearly as nice as having 2 physical cores. There is less then a $50 difference in price as well.

Also I would look at Gigabyte or Abit using at least an i955x chipset. The best board I have ever owned is the one I currently own, and that is a Gigabyte GA-G1975x. This board is not cheap, but even overlocked pretty high I have "0" crashing. It is based on the 975x chipset and will give you plenty of room for future CPU upgrades as well as offering very good overclocking.

The D 960 should EASILY be able to push 4.2GHz on both cores which will push just about anything you need as fast as you need it ;)

Back