Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooops! Sorry about that guys, I don't know how that huge quote slipped past me! :eek:

I don't know how he fits that system into that room considering it barely fits into this thread!

Ok, so since last time I posted my setup in this thread it has been vastly upgraded. Sadly my photo taking skills have not.

I'm using Proson Reality 66 Mk 2 fronts, Proson Reality Center 52 Mk 2, Proson Reality Sub 101 Mk 2 and Dynavoice S-6 surround speakers with a Denon 1801 reciever connected to an Auzentech X-fi Prelude.

My room looks like shit and there's cables everywhere behind the desk, but I'll get that sorted out eventually.
pa300011ve3.jpg

Last time I was using a Gigaworks sub, but now I'm using a 10' sub that's about a billion times better, thank god.
pa300012bl8.jpg

The fronts are pretty large (1100 x 243 x 430 mm, weight 20.7kg) and have three 6.5' kevlar elements plus a ribbon tweeter.
pa300015zo1.jpg

Just how deep they are can be seen here.
pa300013zp7.jpg

Size compared to an old xbox and my digital box under it on the floor.
pa300018kj0.jpg

My Sennheiser 280 and 595 headphones thrown in while I'm at it.
pa300024rn8.jpg

Blackstone:

Thanks for the info.

I do like the idea of the wifi. At first I didn't see the point, as I do my listening at the computer, so I figured USB would be the way to go for the squeezebox. But I like the idea of separating it completely from the power supply of the computer. That would probably be the best aspect of it in my system. I almost certainly want to keep the connection digital to the Bel Canto DAC. I concur with nice cables improving things. I currently am using Nordost optical (toslink). I will look into other forms for the squeezebox. Another unit of interest is a modded Olive Music Server from Red Wine Audio. They basically convert everything to run off battery power, and upgrade the connectors. Though the squeezebox would be a lot cheaper $.

I guess up until now I never really looked into the SB, as I didn't think I had a need for it. So I've got some reading to do.

Ok, so since last time I posted my setup in this thread it has been vastly upgraded. Sadly my photo taking skills have not.

I'm using Proson Reality 66 Mk 2 fronts, Proson Reality Center 52 Mk 2, Proson Reality Sub 101 Mk 2 and Dynavoice S-6 surround speakers with a Denon 1801 reciever connected to an Auzentech X-fi Prelude.

My room looks like shit and there's cables everywhere behind the desk, but I'll get that sorted out eventually.
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9616/pa300011ve3.jpg

Last time I was using a Gigaworks sub, but now I'm using a 10' sub that's about a billion times better, thank god.
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9676/pa300012bl8.jpg

The fronts are pretty large (1100 x 243 x 430 mm, weight 20.7kg) and have three 6.5' kevlar elements plus a ribbon tweeter.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6416/pa300015zo1.jpg

Just how deep they are can be seen here.
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1551/pa300013zp7.jpg

Size compared to an old xbox and my digital box under it on the floor.
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2683/pa300018kj0.jpg

My Sennheiser 280 and 595 headphones thrown in while I'm at it.
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6692/pa300024rn8.jpg

Wow, you need to wipe that dust up!

The Olive music server will not sound better than the Squeezebox, but it may have some functionality advantages.

The squeezebox is like a dumbed down Olive server, but it does the same job. The difference is you don't have the CD reader, storage, and browser integrated into one chasis, but that is actually one of the advantages of the Squeezebox. I really believe the wi-fi link between the computer (storage) and the Squeezebox filters out some noise, or eliminates it.

It is also much cheaper than the Olive at $300 or so and the money you save can go into other components.

I don't think the Olive is the ideal solution for a "computer person" who can handle the networking aspects of the Squeezebox.

Blackstone:

I just found this link. They mod the SB3, including a digital-only mod offer. Looks pretty sweet. They also upgrade the wall wart. Right now it looks like either this or stock for me.

hahaha... and pinipig made fun of me for all the crap in my room :D
Ingrates!! One day this will all be in a much nicer room... you'll see..... you'll see... :(....

Does it upsample up to DSD (SACD)?
Not that high....

i don't see a standalone cd player...but thats prolly cuz im trying to find a bone to pick at you with and hey who needs a standalone when you have FLAC :D
I've thought about a stand alone... this will come in time I'm sure.

Blackstone:

I just found this link. They mod the SB3, including a digital-only mod offer. Looks pretty sweet. They also upgrade the wall wart. Right now it looks like either this or stock for me.

The upgraded SB3 is supposed to be better than the stock SB3 from what I've been told from my friends over at the Martin Logan Club. Apparently, power supply is important for even the digital music server that does not serve as a DAC in it of itself.

I'm glad you're joining me in the dark side that is Squeezebox...

:)

Hey pinipig:)

so you are happy w/ SB i take it? Thats good news. I assume ver. 3 is the best?

Hey pinipig:)

so you are happy w/ SB i take it? Thats good news. I assume ver. 3 is the best?

I am happy with the SB3... ver 3 is the latest and probably best of the 3 though I have not heard the other 2. Just a quick and intelligent assumption. :)

However, if I had the money, I'd be using the Slimdevice Transporter instead of the SB3.

Reports on MLO have shown the Transporter to be better than the SB3 even as a purely digital "transport".

I have also heard that the digital mod for the Squeezebox is better, but I don't have any first hand experience with it.

I will definitely go for at least the modded SB, but as for the Transporter, I don't know. For that money, it seems like it would be better to get the Red Wine -modded Olive Symphony, since it runs on batter power, and has its own hard drive. (Though the hard drive is nowhere near big enough).

Anyone know if you can attach external drives directly to the Transporter, in addition to the standard wireless?

Given my new job/source of income, I think its safe to say I will be averaging at least 10 new CDs a week. A bigger hard drive (if any) would be necessary. And I'm already over 200 gigs.

i read that theres a mod for squeezebox devices that lets you mod the OS of a buffalo NAS and use that to pull off music

I will definitely go for at least the modded SB, but as for the Transporter, I don't know. For that money, it seems like it would be better to get the Red Wine -modded Olive Symphony, since it runs on batter power, and has its own hard drive. (Though the hard drive is nowhere near big enough).

Anyone know if you can attach external drives directly to the Transporter, in addition to the standard wireless?

Given my new job/source of income, I think its safe to say I will be averaging at least 10 new CDs a week. A bigger hard drive (if any) would be necessary. And I'm already over 200 gigs.

One of the new WD 750GB drives would be perfect for you. You could even do two in RAID.

^^ Nice to see someone using stands for the Z5500 surrounds. These are some pretty sweet speakers. The sound in Crysis is awesome.

Yeah for sure definitely looking forward to NFS:pS. Afterall, Its got the Evo X :) Cant wait to try out Crysis on the new system either.

Any particular reason why the sub is on it's side?

Probably because, otherwise, the port would be pushed right up against the side of the desk. I was going to do the same with mine, but I ended up putting it the other side of my desk instead so the port wasn't obstructed by anything.

Yeah for sure i considered putting it on the right too, but it was going to be more painful wiring it there so i decided to flip it. Otherwise the desk vibrated bit, as that sub's packing quite a punch.

Yo kelim, what receiver is that under your LCD? It looks like an older model from the 70s. I'm digging the gold knobs :cool: I've got a Technics receiver in my setup from that era.

urrgh dellienware...no offense just not much of a dell fan, my friend that i hung out with all of middle school thinks hes 133t and his entire family was dell fanboys, urrgh:mad:

isnt that the new alienware midtower, or was new?

my apologies if it isn't

nice sanyo...i got a technics cd player and a turntable from that era, then theres my sansui and my dynaco power amp..good stuff :)

just got my x-ls today to replace my z-2300s. ive got jbl 10 inch sub and panny xr-55 to power it all.
speakers.jpg

speaker.jpg

xr-55.jpg

sryy there so small as my digi cam is lost so i had to use phone.

Cool upgrade. :cool:

Assuming your table is glass, I would isolate those speakers ASAP. Get some Auralex monitor pads from Sweetwater, or similar (friendly suggestion:) )

Nice rig, Nick. Your JBL sub looks just like the one I had before I replaced mine with a BIC H-100.

Cool upgrade. :cool:

Assuming your table is glass, I would isolate those speakers ASAP. Get some Auralex monitor pads from Sweetwater, or similar (friendly suggestion:) )

and that does what? they have the rubber feet on the bottom of them if that has to do with anything.

I'm winning the bid right now on some Infinity Intermezzos:

http://theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_2.pdf

I've had the Intermezzo 1.2s sub for the last 2 years and I've loved it, and I listed to the 4.1ts when I bought the sub and loved them, but at 7000 MSRP (4,000 sale price at the time since they were getting rid of their floor model) they were out of my price range at the time.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/258/subway-series.html

I'm hoping I win them but at the same time I'm kind of hoping I don't because it's gonna make my system even wider than it already is and it's already a little unwieldy:

http://home.mchsi.com/~nloper/television2.jpg

I guess if I have to I can always lose the symmetrical look and relocate one of the racks, the one on the right just holds DVDs and CDs anyway.

But I'm definitely ready for an upgrade from the B&Ws, they're decent but I'd say they've been the weakest link in my HT for quite a while. Also the single sealed 12 has great response and punch but it's a little weak for heavy duty movie watching IMO. Two or three of em ought to do the trick though :D

and that does what? they have the rubber feet on the bottom of them if that has to do with anything.

I didn't realize they had rubber feet. Thats better than nothing. Both the rubber feet and the pads I recommended are designed to isolate the speakers from whatever they are sitting on, to avoid vibration transfer. If you had a speaker with no rubber feet directly on glass, the glass would be noisy, acting as a vibrating plane, absorbing the energy from the movement of the driver, as well as the SPLs (I don't know the technical terms, sorry, lol)

Won the auction for the 4.1ts and also some 2.6p bookshelves to use for surrounds.

Now the big question is whether I keep my current PC setup (av123's 5.1 XL-S system) and sell the B&Ws or swap the B&Ws over for PC use and sell the XL-S'.

Another question is whether to go with 2 12s or 3. 3 might be a little unwieldy sonically but with the base optimization system or whatever its called built into the infinities plus some room treatments I think it'd be okay.

And also whether or not to try and pick up a matching center. It seems to me that the main reasons for a center are to get some of the load off the L and R speakers and also to tie the dialogue to the center for people that are sitting off axis. I figure these speakers aren't going to have a problem with any load I give them, and the off axis thing doesn't really matter to me because I'll never be sitting off axis and I doubt any of my friends and family would ever really notice the difference or care if they did.

Nicholtl,

Intermezzos were speakers that I drooled over for so long. Good choice in hiend gear!

Systex,

It's nice to see that you're real serious about audio quality. I'm still building my room treatments, it won't be done for another month because of all the work I have to do for school at the moment. Good stuff.

Systex,

It's nice to see that you're real serious about audio quality. I'm still building my room treatments, it won't be done for another month because of all the work I have to do for school at the moment. Good stuff.

Yeah, I decided to hold off on a speaker upgrade until I got at least some treatments in my room. Now it's time to do some in-room auditioning to figure out where I'm going next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back