Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how the Omni speaker was designed...

oh... haha yeh that to.

some of mirages speakers use a semi dome yo direct the sound towards the listener in an attempt to open up there sound stage. whether it works as stated is up to God. either way i like the sound of them :D

pinipig,
when you asked if i plugged them i tried it today and...

for this system i have everything set to small and crossed over at 40hz. to me running them all in large made little to no difference in sound with my sub at 40zh but when the caca hit the fan the driver excursion on my fronts and center scared me a little so i set them to small. listening to music on the fronts sound decent without a sub but i am a bass head so there is no substitute. i plugged them up with rolled mem. foam and cut my sub. percussion sounded punchy enough and i did not have much to complain about on the bottom end but when i turned my sub back on i noticed a sizable chunk of sound missing. it was odd like i could hear a kick rum start but the sythed bit added on for effect was a tad delayed. no reason to keep them plugged but it was fun to play wit e for a few hours.

My turn...

Got some new gear so here goes:
1. VPI Scoutmaster Turntable w/ Dynavector 20XH cartridge
DSC01680.jpg

DSC01683.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01717.jpg

2. Upgraded to the Cary SLP-98 preamp with phonostage for the turntable (notice it has 8 tubes instead of my old 4... and it's now black/silver not black/red like my old preamp)...
DSC01694.jpg

3. Listening chair (aka the perfect lounge chair)
DSC01678.jpg

DSC01716.jpg

4. Not new, but a gratuitous shot of my Plinius Class A amp... what a beauty! Take a look at 100 pounds of pure aluminum casing and take note of the rather large CPU cooler like heatsinks on the sides! My favorite component!
DSC01690.jpg

5. The rack in its entirety... turntable on top, preamp/DAC/Squeezebox3 server on second tier, preamp outboard powesupply/monster power center on third tier, and amp on bottom tier.
DSC01689.jpg

6. The system as a whole... notice the blue led on the back of the ML Summit's cabinet.
DSC01706.jpg

DSC01714.jpg

7. In the works, some DIY room sound absorbers for behind the speakers. Halfway done, should be done by this coming weekend. I'll post pics next time again. :)

No other upgrades planned for now... kinda depleted my disposable income for now. I honestly don't know what else to get. I could improve on the Cary preamp and get their flagship SLP-05 which includes a tubed headphone amp... but that costs double of mine at close to $8K. The amp is perfectly fine as it is. The DAC could be improved into a cd player with inputs.

We shall see....

As it stands now, I'm very happy with my system. The turntable is not yet tweaked to even close to its potential. I think I have a few more days worth of tweaking to improve its sound. I'm learning about vinyl lingo and vinyl set up, it's a lot more involved and tricky than I initially thought (VTA, VTF, azimuth, etc...).

As of right now, I think that the vinyl set up sounds much more natural than my digital front end on the same songs. The digital front end has a bit of that "bite" that I miss at times, but my analog front end is much easier to listen to. Better dynamics and better bass (surprisingly). I'm still working on getting the singer to image perfectly down the center and with enough vocal "weight" to his/her voice.

With time, I think I can get the vinyl to sound even better than I have it right now. My analog setup so far is a bit crude, I need to get it perfectly aligned in all manners to get it to sound just that much closer to perfect.

It took a looong time to get here (about 5 years since getting into this audio hobby), but I started with a Klipsch Promedia 4.1 set up that I received as a Sweetest Day present... and that was definitely the catalyst. Anyone interested enough in this hobby will easily get to where I am and beyond. It's all a matter of preference... some people spend $$thousands$$ on their cars, I choose to spend it on my stereo.

Though my car ain't bad... ;).

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

sweet lord!

This is...just...wow. I am humbled :p
This just embarrasses headphone setups to the tenth power, lol. There's no way I could even begin to afford all this stuff....yet. I need to stick to headphones for now, as badass as this stuff is. But I think I will get to Vinyl eventually, it seems only natural, if I keep on the upgrade path.
It took me a while just to be able to get even a single component. You must have amazing discipline in your spending habits :)

I too don't know where you could go from here, in terms of upgrades. I would say maybe DAC, but I suspect the one you have to be very robust, given PS Audio's take on power supply. Maybe a cable upgrade is in order, though I don't know what you are running. One thing Im considering when I move is having dedicated audio lines/circuit in the house/apartment for the utlimate in cleanliness. One thing I am slowly discovering is the fact that, to really upgrade, one needs to reevaluate every single micro detail of the system, and that everything makes a difference, even if you don't notice it specifically; the sum is greater than the individual parts (or tweaks). ...Another self discovery that is detrimental to the wallet.

Now is this in an apartment off site of your college, or in a doorm on campus? You should honestly take pictures of all this stuff and keep in a safe deposit box, for insurance purposes. Theft and fire, etc.

Pini, didn't you use to have some strata mini's? Do you still have those or did you sell them to afford some of the upgrades?

Oh, and :eek: that's intense man, it'll be a LOOONNNGGG time before I can get something even close to that level!

i love it pinipig. after a htpc rebiu over the next few months i am going for the PC13 ultra (a bit cheaper then my tv) and seperat proc./amp... my receiver is running out of head room so if i go bigger with the sub then i need a bit more power in my 7ch. to level it out.

aardvark,
im not as much of a music guy as i am a movie guy but the money leaves you wallet just as fast. i have a retail job and sacrifice in nearly every aspect of my life to afford what i have, as does pinipig. in the end its up to wanting the smile on your face when you heard something beautiful.

for music i am perfectly happy with my two ipods and shure EIM's to go with them.

^^ Life as a Videophile is indeed very dangerous :cool:

Im still rockin the 32" 480 crt tube TV in my family room lol.

Though I am debating a nice Samsung screen for my room as PC monitor & Blu Ray player. (Obviously also debating Blu Ray)

wow, some amazing set ups...:eek:
Thanks!

What cost more... that audiophile orgasm or med school? ;)
Med School = $180,000 (for all 4 years)
Audiophile freakshow = $12,000 speakers + $6500 amp + $4000 preamp + $1000 DAC + $3500 Turntable + $300 Squeezebox3 server + $250 rack + $200 Monster power center + $2000 Perfect Chair = $29750 (retail w/o tax...I paid about 1/2 of that)

So, Mr. Wolf my friend, the answer is simple: Med school ftw. :p

i love it pinipig. after a htpc rebiu over the next few months i am going for the PC13 ultra (a bit cheaper then my tv) and seperat proc./amp... my receiver is running out of head room so if i go bigger with the sub then i need a bit more power in my 7ch. to level it out.

aardvark,
im not as much of a music guy as i am a movie guy but the money leaves you wallet just as fast. i have a retail job and sacrifice in nearly every aspect of my life to afford what i have, as does pinipig. in the end its up to wanting the smile on your face when you heard something beautiful.

for music i am perfectly happy with my two ipods and shure EIM's to go with them.
Awesome news on the PC13 Ultra... I had the PC+ several years back until I sold it to fund the electrostats! It was a pretty good sub.... you'll like yours for sure. And yes, the sacrifices we make... I have to watch my budget on a lot of other things nowadays. Especially with my G35 coupe eating up the other half of my budget. Yikes.

Amazing. :eek: With a system like that, the poster on the wall made me laugh.:D I saw those speakers at a boutique shop one day, they're crazy.
Glad to know your turntable came in, its nice!!

Thanks for the TT comment... yeah, these speakers are quite sick. I have heard better, but it costs money.

Pini, didn't you use to have some strata mini's? Do you still have those or did you sell them to afford some of the upgrades?

Oh, and :eek: that's intense man, it'll be a LOOONNNGGG time before I can get something even close to that level!

Gave my Strata Minis to my father to start his own audiophile adventure. He spots me here and there anyway (and pays for celly)... so it was a good way to give back to my Pops.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

sweet lord!

This is...just...wow. I am humbled :p
This just embarrasses headphone setups to the tenth power, lol. There's no way I could even begin to afford all this stuff....yet. I need to stick to headphones for now, as badass as this stuff is. But I think I will get to Vinyl eventually, it seems only natural, if I keep on the upgrade path.
It took me a while just to be able to get even a single component. You must have amazing discipline in your spending habits :)

I too don't know where you could go from here, in terms of upgrades. I would say maybe DAC, but I suspect the one you have to be very robust, given PS Audio's take on power supply. Maybe a cable upgrade is in order, though I don't know what you are running. One thing Im considering when I move is having dedicated audio lines/circuit in the house/apartment for the utlimate in cleanliness. One thing I am slowly discovering is the fact that, to really upgrade, one needs to reevaluate every single micro detail of the system, and that everything makes a difference, even if you don't notice it specifically; the sum is greater than the individual parts (or tweaks). ...Another self discovery that is detrimental to the wallet.

Now is this in an apartment off site of your college, or in a doorm on campus? You should honestly take pictures of all this stuff and keep in a safe deposit box, for insurance purposes. Theft and fire, etc.
1. Thanks! But I'm not sure if I have amazing spending restraints... more like the OPPOSITE! LOL!
2. Yeah, not sure where to go from here. I have a few thoughts though, but nothing very urgent. I still have to get my TT set up just right. Right now, I'm going to call it "lackluster".
3. I live in university housing so it's not too snazzy, as you can see in the photos. I should get some insurance right? Parents tell me to do so.... I think I will after this school year is over and I move to a real apt for residency.
;)

Pinipig, what kind of listening chair is that? Beautiful setup as well.
The Zero Gravity Perfect Chair.... linky: http://www.relaxtheback.com/zero-gravity-recliners-subcategory-6389767

hahaha... pinipig, is it safe to say after med school your audio orgasm will cost more???

This is only the beginning Tangent.... but I've seen the point where diminishing returns really comes to play. There ARE things that I can spend a lot more on and improve greatly.... but not everything correlates to this. I believe that the sweet spot for speakers is at the $10-20K range, from what I've heard. Beyond this, I've heard many, but I didn't find them to be THAT much better (if at all) than those cheaper. However, a TT is very scale-able... a much more expensive one is far better than the ones preceding it for example.

In a way I envy you Pinipig but in another way I'm not that jealous. Once you've seen it all it must not be as exciting anymore. Lucky for me I'm not in a career as financially rewarding as yours so I'll never get there :D A man can dream though. As usual insane setup man, keep us posted on updates!

^^ Thats why I enjoy living vicariously through others, and looking at the setups :p

Ode to the dream

Well got my new temporary setup done.

Before
img0036ep9.jpg

After
img0037tp5.jpg

img0038bj1.jpg

Specs:
2 nfm5 bookshelf's from proficient audio
1 12'' sub from proficient audio 250w
harman/kardon dvd 47
Panasonic xr-55
PureAv pf60 power console

Next setup will be the new x line from av123. Waiting for them to get the rosa diamond finish out.Then ill compare the proficient's with the x.

I must say these sound way better over the z5500's. when playing the Michael Buble cd i feel like im at the concert. Ive got Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon coming in sacd. Cant wait to hear it.

id love to listen to a muse album (heard em live so yea) or maybe hard-fi (yes thats a band)
then pachabel cannon (since i can play it on the piano i know what it REALLY sounds like)

ill post my speakers/ghetto refoam job later

then i wonder how this turntable stacks up to yours http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/06/05/the_150000_turntable.html
:eek:

and can you even get contemporary music in vinyl nowadays?

OMG.... I just puked in my mouth... and aspirated. Suffice to say, it is everything a TT should be and more, that Goldmund is waaaay better than mine or 99.9% of all TTs owned. For the price, I'd rather get an Aston.... hehehee..

And yes, you can get almost any contemporary album out today. You'd be surprised at the massive selection vinyl has. DJ's use vinyl so they need contemporary music...

From James Blunt to Kanye West...

Check out this link to Music Direct and you will see that you have a pretty good contemporary LP selection...
http://www.musicdirect.com/search/advanced.php

indeed, most record stores in or near a city will have contemporary vinyl.

i wish i could have the privalige... i live in san diego though :( only being in chicago for layovers on my way to new york or maryland.

if i squint hard enough my omni's sound just like logans... it must be my new tv :cool:

indeed, most record stores in or near a city will have contemporary vinyl.

i wish i could have the privalige... i live in san diego though :( only being in chicago for layovers on my way to new york or maryland.

if i squint hard enough my omni's sound just like logans... it must be my new tv :cool:

do you know any places here in maryland?

i don't see a standalone cd player...but thats prolly cuz im trying to find a bone to pick at you with and hey who needs a standalone when you have FLAC :D

My next upgrade (other than cables) will may be this:

transport

But the version w/out the DAC. Its cheaper. It would be replacing an iRiver SlimX discman.

As someone who has owned higher end transports (Goldmund) in the past (not the same system as in my sig), and a DCS D/A converter and upsampler, believe me when I tell you that you should get yourself a squeezebox and put your money into the DAC/Upsampler portion.

With today's hard drive storage technology there is really no need for a disc transport unless you are going SACD. Even the blowhards at Stereophile have acknowledged that they were hard pressed to hear the difference between a $6000 high end transport and a squeezebox. I am talking about feeding a high-end DAC from the digital output of the squeezebox.

I'm not saying there is no difference between a Squeezebox and a high-end transport, but unless you own the absolute top of the line DAC and Upsampler you are better of spending on processing. The feed from the $300 squeezebox is very, very good and easily rivals of $5,000+ transport. I did not purchase a squeezebox to replace my transport, but after I heard it, I sold the transport. The difference was so close that I couldn't justify keeping it. It is a dirty little secret high-end audio retailers do not want you to know about. It is just a pass through to get the digital wav information from your PC into your DAC. The processor/upsampler is where the magic happens.

Transports are mechanical and optical and high-end transports are generally designed to better handle vibration. You don't need this anymore. The squeeze box has no moving parts and thus no mechanical noise. It does the same job in a different way.\

You do need to use uncompressed .wav files,of course.

So what is the difference between a squeezebox and USB? My Bel Canto Dac3 has USB, so if there is no improvement there, I would stick with just the Bel Canto. But it seems like when I compare the USB to the optical of a discman, the discman is better, by a slight margin. (That was why I am debating getting something w/ a good optical out)

So what is the difference between a squeezebox and USB? My Bel Canto Dac3 has USB, so if there is no improvement there, I would stick with just the Bel Canto. But it seems like when I compare the USB to the optical of a discman, the discman is better, by a slight margin. (That was why I am debating getting something w/ a good optical out)

Well, as to whether USB or optical is better, I can't really render an opinion. The Squeezebox, at least the version I have, does not have USB.

My dealer insists that RCA coaxial sounds the best, and I tend to agree. TosLink, they say, is not as good. I'm not sure about USB because it is uncommon, but I am guessing that the RCA optical is better--in fact it might be a lot better. It probably is, I don't really have the time to research the issue. I don't think DCS uses it and they are pretty much the best there is.

According to the Bel Canto website, "The USB input goes through a 3rd de-jitter stage to insure optimum playback from computer based sources." This leads me to believe that USB may have some inherent limitations. It also is uncommon. I would not be comfortable using it myself.

All I can tell you is that a squeezebox is a worthy substitute for a high-end transport. It isn't just the optical out though, it is the elimination of moving parts from the equation. It uses wi-fi and so your system is not coupled to anything with mechanical or moving parts. So it eliminates completely a problem that high-end transports are designed to cope with--vibration, ect. I would feel comfortable using it to feed $10k+ of processing equipment.

If you are feeding the Bel Canto with a discman, the Squeezebox itself might be a significant upgrade. I imagine running RCA optical from the Squeezebox into the Bel Canto would sound better than either the USB or the discman.

Another thing is that the digital cable between the transport or squeezebox and the processor is almost as important as the processor itself. The high-end digital cables DO make a difference. The one I use is made by Transparent Audio, and it makes an enormous improvement. In blind tests I could tell a Goldmund cable from the Transparent cable every single time, or at least I think I could. I tend to be skeptical of things like expensive cables but the difference is just impossible to deny.

I personally would take the whole question of front end sources out of the equation and just get a squeezebox and a decent digital cable, and then if and when you are ready audition DACs and Upsamplers.

I'm not framiliar with the Bel Canto so I'm not saying you need to upgrade, or that it isn't good--my point is just that if you are looking for an upgrade you're probably better off putting the money toward a new DAC/Upsampler than a transport.

Here is Stereophile's treatment of the Squeezebox. http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/906slim/

blackstone... you can edit the images out of your quote. it will lighten up the bandwidth and length of this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back