Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New speakers this week. :)

aurumcantus1.jpg

What are those? Sonus Fabers?

What are those? Sonus Fabers?

Forgot to mention. :\
Sadly, no, they aren't Sonus Fabers. They are Aurum Cantus's. A chinese manufacterer.
They sound absolutely mindblowing for the price. If you go grey import, you can get a pair of these to your door for roughly $800-900 USD. They have a much fuller sound than I expected for such small speakers, and they easily outplay my old speakers, Audiolab Super Laudate's. The only thing that is lacking compared to my previous speakers is the soundstage, it's a bit less wide. A tradeoff I'm happy to make for the improved bass fullness and control, and the highs of the ribbon tweeter.

They look good as well, beautiful piano finish and very nice rosewood used. Me likey!
4.jpg

3.jpg

Though offer me a Sonus Faber and I'll happily make the trade. ;)

Those are some really nice looking speakers! Good to see china getting into the audiophile speaker market, I'd like to see them drive the price of good speakers down.

I'm using the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speaker kit. The center channel was in the wood cabinet below the screen, but now it sits on top between the two speakers. The surrounds and sub are out of sight, obviously.

8Sweet.jpg

I've this set of babies too. Do you connect it to any decoder??

I'm considering connecting it to an AVR. currently using the Creative DDTS-100 decoder. Do you think an AVR would be better?

Don't have any pictures ATM but I recently acquired a set of logitech z5500s and now that they are broken in, I love em to death.

So I'm thinking about a new 5.1 preamp processor for my PC games. Look at this baby--
[/img]http://www.soundstageav.com/audiovideonews/pics/200512_bryston.jpg[/img] ---- edited --- no hotlinking images. per [H] rules. --- magnetik

http://www.bryston.ca/sp2_m.html

I get all of my stuff from Magnolia Audio Video (previously known as Magnolia Hi-Fi) and I've been very happy with everything about them. They have great service, treat me right (being a college student I always get funny looks when I walk into Definitive Audio next door), and decently priced equipment (sometimes on sale). All I have to do is tell them what equipment I'm running and they are very pleased to hear that I'm happy and are always looking for ways to make me get the most out of what I have.

Monitor Audio is some good stuff by the way. If you get a chance to listen to their speakers, give it a go, I bet you'll be surprised in how good they sound for how much they cost.

I get all of my stuff from Magnolia Audio Video (previously known as Magnolia Hi-Fi) and I've been very happy with everything about them. They have great service, treat me right (being a college student I always get funny looks when I walk into Definitive Audio next door), and decently priced equipment (sometimes on sale). All I have to do is tell them what equipment I'm running and they are very pleased to hear that I'm happy and are always looking for ways to make me get the most out of what I have.

Monitor Audio is some good stuff by the way. If you get a chance to listen to their speakers, give it a go, I bet you'll be surprised in how good they sound for how much they cost.

Ryan,

How are your Monitor Audio speakers doing btw? You planning any more upgrades or changes for them?

BTW, speaking of Magnolia....we got a little problem with Tweeter stores here... my local Tweeter is closing and I feel sad because that's the store that I got my parents to buy our first good speaker set from (Klipsch).... it got me into the higher-fi gear and got me into the hobby. It's sad to see it go.

I've been looking a bit through this thread, and it's quite incredible really. How does anyone afford speakers like some of the ones here? It's ridiculous!

Anyway, I have a question - why do so many people have an amplifier box thingy in between their soundcard and speakers?? My £8.22 2.1 speakers are plugged into my laptop with a modest HD Audio sound card (best sounding speakers under £10 btw, I guarantee it :D - they beat my sister's and my dad's ~£30 speakers hands down), and I can't put everything to the max because I'd go deaf....so why do you need an amplifier?

Ryan,

How are your Monitor Audio speakers doing btw? You planning any more upgrades or changes for them?

BTW, speaking of Magnolia....we got a little problem with Tweeter stores here... my local Tweeter is closing and I feel sad because that's the store that I got my parents to buy our first good speaker set from (Klipsch).... it got me into the higher-fi gear and got me into the hobby. It's sad to see it go.

I'm home for spring break and listening to my dad's Nautilus 802s and the DCS stack right now. It is pretty awesome. I asked him about your Martin Logans Pinipig and he said those were awesome speakers but he likes his 802's better. Zing! :D He also said he likes Magnepans.

I've been looking a bit through this thread, and it's quite incredible really. How does anyone afford speakers like some of the ones here? It's ridiculous!

Anyway, I have a question - why do so many people have an amplifier box thingy in between their soundcard and speakers?? My £8.22 2.1 speakers are plugged into my laptop with a modest HD Audio sound card (best sounding speakers under £10 btw, I guarantee it :D - they beat my sister's and my dad's ~£30 speakers hands down), and I can't put everything to the max because I'd go deaf....so why do you need an amplifier?

Actually, for games and just goofing around with the computer I run my HD590's right into my Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard. I do think you get better sound running the soundcard into a headphone amplifier..it isn't really a question of volume, but more of quality. Also, it gives you a tangible volume knob to work with instead of using the software volume control.

Well yeah, but all the speaker sets I've ever seen have either the volume control on the subwoofer (most 2.1 systems), or on a wired or wireless remote. Do super-duper speakers not normally have volume control then? Also, who doesn't have a keyboard or laptop with volume up/down buttons? :p

Well yeah, but all the speaker sets I've ever seen have either the volume control on the subwoofer (most 2.1 systems), or on a wired or wireless remote. Do super-duper speakers not normally have volume control then? Also, who doesn't have a keyboard or laptop with volume up/down buttons? :p

Well "super-duper" speakers, so to speak, almost never have volume control on them, or are sold with a subwoofer as a system. That isn't a hard and fast rule but it is generally the case. The more expensive loudspeakers on here were not designed with computers in mind--they were designed to reproduce music (or home theater) as accurately as possible. What is going on in this thread, in most cases, is that you have guys who are serious audiophiles AND computer enthusiasts, and so they inevitably merge the two hobbies at some point. It is getting easier to do so now that most HDTV's can double as computer monitors and vice versa--so the computer can be more easily used in the livingroom--which is where most audiophile type people have their equipment.

I'm home for spring break and listening to my dad's Nautilus 802s and the DCS stack right now. It is pretty awesome. I asked him about your Martin Logans Pinipig and he said those were awesome speakers but he likes his 802's better. Zing! :D He also said he likes Magnepans.

Of course he would say that.... that's ok, everyone on the Martin Logan Owners Club forum says that the Summits beat out the BW 802D, which in turn beat your papa's 802Nautilus.

Hehehe.... ;) ;) ;) .

Score: 1-1, tied :D

Martin Logan speakers have their strong points,they are not the best in the absolute...the best is what sounds bets to you.To me my Dynaudio Contour S5.4 any day over the B&W 's and Matrin Logan speakers.

I have Dynaudio Confidence 4 in rosewood comming up.These with the JL Audio Gotham will get me to the next level of audio quality.

Also I will build three sealed subs based on TC Sounds TC2000/3000 and LMS-5400 each a dual opposed driver config.Powered by serious Crown and held in check with a Velo SMS. This will even beat the Gotham SPL wise and I am curious how close in SQ!

When going all out,sometimes DIY is the way to go.

Martin Logan speakers have their strong points,they are not the best in the absolute...the best is what sounds bets to you.To me my Dynaudio Contour S5.4 any day over the B&W 's and Matrin Logan speakers.

I have Dynaudio Confidence 4 in rosewood comming up.These with the JL Audio Gotham will get me to the next level of audio quality.

Also I will build three sealed subs based on TC Sounds TC2000/3000 and LMS-5400 each a dual opposed driver config.Powered by serious Crown and held in check with a Velo SMS. This will even beat the Gotham SPL wise and I am curious how close in SQ!

When going all out,sometimes DIY is the way to go.
This is all in good fun, Ear! Nothing is absolute, regardless of what it is. Dynaudio, Martin Logan, BW, Wilson, Revel, Acapella, AvanteGarde, Sonus Faber, Thiel, Quad, Innersound, Soundlab, Magnepan, Avalon, Kharma, Magico.... who knows which is best? Only what is good to them...

And even that is flawed, because no one is able to demo everything that is available to them anyway... so all we're left with is a constricted view of what is best for our own purposes based on limited knowledge of what is TRULY out there...

Me and my friends that provide PA/Soundreinforcement as a sideline.Recently pulled out 16 EAW JF50S & 1 LA118Z which were on rental for a now defunct 2 story bar.We have been considering building a Home Theatre system using PA equipment for his new house.This system will be powered by 3 Crest Audio amps CA series.Problem is we still haven't figured out how to incorperate a DBX driverack for this application.

Here's mine...I just stuck those foam fingers there, I'm not really sure if they make a difference or not hah, anyway ...

Sharp SD-NX10 stereo unit
JBL E30s
1 ft³ Alpine 10" type-r sub

works really well for me, I could probably get a better system at some point but maybe once I graduate...

setup_with_foam.jpg

so, Pinipig523, do you like the Onix X-LS? I'm thinking about getting them and a refurbished Onkyo receiver for my first real speakers.

so, Pinipig523, do you like the Onix X-LS? I'm thinking about getting them and a refurbished Onkyo receiver for my first real speakers.

Heard them Sonic.... thought they are great for the money. At that price, there's really nothing that I can complain about. It's solidly built and have been recently updated with a different resistor with regards to the tweeter (and a new tweeter assembly too!). I have not heard the new updated version... but it should still be a sweet pair of noise makers IMO!

You may need a sub to handle the lower frequencies though... but that's almost a given for most bookshelf speakers.

Good luck and let me know how else I could be of help and let us all know what you do in terms of audio!

:)

I've got a pair of the X-LS for my PC and love them. I ordered a second pair in the new Mascarey Diamond finish that should ship this month. :D

Nice on the speaker stands, Ballpoint. Good to see actual surround going. Where'd you get them?

Nice on the speaker stands, Ballpoint. Good to see actual surround going. Where'd you get them?

Thanks. I'm a surround sound freak when it comes to gaming. At one point when I had a basement office (yes, in my parents' house) I had my rears hanging from the ceiling. That was the best setup ever in terms of speaker placement.

The stands are B-Tech Stealth BT11. I got them at Best Buy for CAN$85 at a retail location. I don't see them on their website anymore, they must have been selling through their stock because I know that's a decent price. They're a great investment. I didn't bother opening my rears to remove the feet. I just snapped the fuckers off.

In another thread someone bitched at me to get my sub onto the floor. I live in an apartment building, and I honestly like the sound of the bass better a bit off the floor. This may be a bit too high, but off the floor a bit makes the bass tighter and less boomy to my ears. I'm loving it in STALKER during thunderstorms.

Ballpoint,

Nice surround system, that's how to do it!

Regarding the sub, if that's how you want it, that's cool.

Enjoy!! :)

why not run the speaker wires under your chair mat instead of having them on the outside...

Thanks. I'm a surround sound freak when it comes to gaming. At one point when I had a basement office (yes, in my parents' house) I had my rears hanging from the ceiling. That was the best setup ever in terms of speaker placement.

The stands are B-Tech Stealth BT11. I got them at Best Buy for CAN$85 at a retail location. I don't see them on their website anymore, they must have been selling through their stock because I know that's a decent price. They're a great investment. I didn't bother opening my rears to remove the feet. I just snapped the fuckers off.

In another thread someone bitched at me to get my sub onto the floor. I live in an apartment building, and I honestly like the sound of the bass better a bit off the floor. This may be a bit too high, but off the floor a bit makes the bass tighter and less boomy to my ears. I'm loving it in STALKER during thunderstorms.

You should strap the sub to your chair ala "Huffy Duct Tape Mounting System©"
for maximum effect!

I'm hopeing one of you ex or current promedia owners knows what im talking about :D

My turn:D

Everything I have is stuff my dad got in the 80's

Bose 601 (lets not start an arugument plz ;) )

EPI (dunno what model)

Phase Linear 1k Autocorrelator

Sansui Au-717

Dynaco Power Amp

I still need a pre amp for my Dynaco.....

img2459cb5.jpg

img2458vg8.jpg

img2465gk9.jpg

img2473jh0.jpg

img2466eu3.jpg

I went out to some local dealers and tried out the Monitor Audio RS6's, the Dynaudio Audience 52's, the Focal JMLabs 716V,816V and some miserable B&W DM somethings.

I really need to find a dealer in Montreal who has the JMLabs and the Monitor Audios so I can do some testing between the two of them... I prefered the Focal's, but then again I heard the MAs in a diffrent showroom, 4 days prior to my audition of the 816Vs'.

Then there is price: I could pick up the MAs for about 1100, but the Focals are a full 800 more...

I have to retry the MAs because my first impression was that they were very "bassy", but I had miserable recordings that didn't showcase their midrange/high frequencies... 50 Cent "The Massacre" is definately not coming with me next time...

I also want to try Epos M22.2s? -- there is a HiFi show in Montreal next week, I'll go see what's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back