Not open for further replies.
setupym2.jpg

HK AVR 445
3 Athena WS-60's
2 Athena WS-15's
1 JBL L8400P
HP LC3200 LCD
WII PS3 XBOX 360 DELL XPS GEN 2
What's that mouse/controller combo you have pictured there?

Nice speakers!

What's that mouse/controller combo you have pictured there?

Nice speakers!

Thanks, are those Martin Logans in your sig? I'm speechless.how much did those set you back? :)

The nunchuck mouse setup is used with my 360 in conjuction with another peripheral.Whch sits between that device and the 360.

Thanks, are those Martin Logans in your sig? I'm speechless.how much did those set you back? :)

The nunchuck mouse setup is used with my 360 in conjuction with another peripheral.Whch sits between that device and the 360.

The Martin Logans are their top of the line (ML Summits) so they set me back about $12,000 + tax. The upstream electronics are about $11,000. The Strata Mini speakers are $2,000.:eek:

They're all gooooooood!!:D :D

Re the nunchuck... wow! I didnt even know they made those for the 360! I'm going to look into it and see if it's good.... does it work for all games?

Thanks SS!!:p

The Martin Logans are their top of the line (ML Summits) so they set me back about $12,000 + tax. The upstream electronics are about $11,000. The Strata Mini speakers are $2,000.:eek:

They're all gooooooood!!:D :D

Re the nunchuck... wow! I didnt even know they made those for the 360! I'm going to look into it and see if it's good.... does it work for all games?

Thanks SS!!:p

Well, it's actually made for the PS2 ,but the 2nd peripheral (XFPS) sits between the EdgeFX and the 360.You can a look over at http://www.splitfish.com/ for more details.There is supposedly an official 360 version in the works.

The way I have it setup, it works for all games without any issues.

I had to re-read that, 12 grand on your fronts!
jawdrop.gif

Oh give me a few years and I'll top him! Although, those Martin Logans are going to be hard to top. I might have to go to the B&W 802 D or the 800D. A Boulder amplifier and DCS stack should do the job. Ok give me like 4 years, lol.

Have any of you guys been to Audio Consultants in Evanston or Chicago? That is where I get all my stuff.

when i was looking into getting my speakers, that was one of the places i wanted to go to buy never got around to it. how is their service and do they carry a lot of their stuff in stock or do u have to order most of it?

when i was looking into getting my speakers, that was one of the places i wanted to go to buy never got around to it. how is their service and do they carry a lot of their stuff in stock or do u have to order most of it?

Not only is it the best stereo store in Chicago, it is one of the best retail operations anywhere. They have the best at pretty much every price level, and the salespeople are all enthusiasts who know the gear and are also big music buffs. They aren't just local flunkys. The owner is a big classical music guy. They let the gear sell itself, they aren't pushy salespeople, they just make suggestions and hook it up for you. If you ask for opinions they have them (I usually agree with them) but they won't try and sell you something you don't need or want, which I like. At the Evanston store they have two soundproofed rooms packed with mid to high-end gear, and one big super highend room for the 12k+ speakers, ect. There is also a home theater room. They might not always have a unit in stock you can walk out with, but they always have demonstrator models on hand.

They have the best service department of any electronics store. I once had a unit that needed repairs and they actually gave me a loner unit while it was out. If something can be fixed they will fix it, or they will find someone who can, wherever in the world that might be. I don't know what their official policy is, but they always let me audition gear at home before buying, sometimes for weeks, and I'm not exactly their bread and butter--I bought most of my stuff when I was in college. Nicest, most professional delivery/installers you'll ever meet.

They also have an awesome selection of used gear, and you can usually get on a waiting list for any kind of gear that you want to buy used.

It is a high-end store with upscale clients but they keep the snob factor in check. They sell $20k speaker cable (yes, insane) but they also sell $300 speakers and you get the same level of service either way.

I wish computer stores were this good!

i will definitely check them out when i have to upgrade. they sound (no pun intended) like the perfect place to buy speakers. No pushy salesmen that actually know what they are talking about and a general enthusiasm to help you get what you want, not what they want you to get.

Oh give me a few years and I'll top him! Although, those Martin Logans are going to be hard to top. I might have to go to the B&W 802 D or the 800D. A Boulder amplifier and DCS stack should do the job. Ok give me like 4 years, lol.

Have any of you guys been to Audio Consultants in Evanston or Chicago? That is where I get all my stuff.

That's alright... cuz in exactly 4 years (fingers crossed) I should be an MD attending....

And then, I'll be in the range of the Sonus Faber Stradivari.... at $40K.

Hehehehe.... blackstone, I got my eye on you!! :)

i will definitely check them out when i have to upgrade. they sound (no pun intended) like the perfect place to buy speakers. No pushy salesmen that actually know what they are talking about and a general enthusiasm to help you get what you want, not what they want you to get.

Audio Consultants is one place in Chicago that I have not been to. If you guys get the chance, go to Pro Musica on Clark and Fullerton or Quintessence Audio in Morton Grove, IL.... those places have a nice selection of gear... from Sonus Faber, Avalon, Quad, Gallos, Dynaudios, Martin Logans, Vandersteen, etc....

Oh... and dont forget Glenn Poor on Grand Ave downtown by Nordstrom.... they have Avante Garde and Wilsons up the wazoo! Michael Jordan bought his Wilson speakers from Glenn Poor and goes there for their little audio coctail parties! :)

When my gf is studying and my friends are not around, I take 1 trip a month or 2 and go to an audio store that I havent been to and listen to the hi-end gear they offer. Sometimes, I end up listening to stereo (2 speakers only) system that cost $90,000 to $140,000... and while it sounds better than what I have.... it's definitely not $70,000-$120,000 better IMO. I'd rather buy the newly redesigned BMW M3 and invest the rest for that money.

Though when I listen to the supersystems, I feel bad knowing that I'm just wasting their time.... considering I cant even afford the CDP they're playing through, much less any of the other gear... the sad reality of being a college boy.

Well, it's actually made for the PS2 ,but the 2nd peripheral (XFPS) sits between the EdgeFX and the 360.You can a look over at http://www.splitfish.com/ for more details.There is supposedly an official 360 version in the works.

The way I have it setup, it works for all games without any issues.

I had to re-read that, 12 grand on your fronts!
jawdrop.gif

Thanks for all the info with regards to the controller... I'll definitely keep an eye out for that one.

Yes... $12K...

Would you believe that my first good speakers were the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 that my girlfriend got me for Sweetest Day in 2002 (Oct 15)? Ever since then, I just kept rolling the system upwards. Started with that, then bought $300 Yamaha speakers, then sold that for the same amount, bought Axiom M22 for $400... then resold those and bought Polk LSi7 for $600.... then resold those and bought the Polk LSi9 for $900... then up and up and up...

The ML Summit that I have now is my own money, no credit card charging on this one (actually the entire system except the Mini is from my own pocket). Of course, I had to skimp on a few things... like no restaurants for a whole semester and I made myself sandwiches....

But it's worth it in the end. :)

PS
The Mini was given as a gift, free of charge... even shipping. :) :)

speakers_78_3.jpg

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=78.1

That's alright... cuz in exactly 4 years (fingers crossed) I should be an MD attending....

And then, I'll be in the range of the Sonus Faber Stradivari.... at $40K.

Hehehehe.... blackstone, I got my eye on you!! :)

Well, I'll be a (fingers crossed) employed J.D. in exactly 1 year, so you'll have some competition. Just remember that building a good stereo system is all about synergy, unless you are into showing off photos of your rig on the internet, then it is about how insane you are.

I'll settle for a 3 series BMW myself...lol.

Well, I'll be a (fingers crossed) employed J.D. in exactly 1 year, so you'll have some competition. Just remember that building a good stereo system is all about synergy, unless you are into showing off photos of your rig on the internet, then it is about how insane you are.

As much as I'd love some b&w fronts, I'd settle for an upgrade to my receiver for the Athenas. I just know I could get better sound out of them with an amp upgrade.

Audio Consultants is one place in Chicago that I have not been to. If you guys get the chance, go to Pro Musica on Clark and Fullerton or Quintessence Audio in Morton Grove, IL.... those places have a nice selection of gear... from Sonus Faber, Avalon, Quad, Gallos, Dynaudios, Martin Logans, Vandersteen, etc....

Oh... and dont forget Glenn Poor on Grand Ave downtown by Nordstrom.... they have Avante Garde and Wilsons up the wazoo! Michael Jordan bought his Wilson speakers from Glenn Poor and goes there for their little audio coctail parties! :)

When my gf is studying and my friends are not around, I take 1 trip a month or 2 and go to an audio store that I havent been to and listen to the hi-end gear they offer. Sometimes, I end up listening to stereo (2 speakers only) system that cost $90,000 to $140,000... and while it sounds better than what I have.... it's definitely not $70,000-$120,000 better IMO. I'd rather buy the newly redesigned BMW M3 and invest the rest for that money.

Though when I listen to the supersystems, I feel bad knowing that I'm just wasting their time.... considering I cant even afford the CDP they're playing through, much less any of the other gear... the sad reality of being a college boy.

Have you heard Eggelston Works speakers? They are pretty good. $70 grand is just insane I wouldn't spend that much on one component under any circumstances. There aren't many discs that are recorded well enough to even appreciate it.

As much as I'd love some b&w fronts, I'd settle for an upgrade to my receiver for the Athenas. I just know I could get better sound out of them with an amp upgrade.

When I upgraded from my first reciever, I went to an integrated amplifier (pre and power in one chasis). Then I added a separate power amp and used the integrated as a preamp. Then I sold the integrated and got a separate preamp. That might be a good way to go.

Pini,

You got FREE AV123456789 Mini's! :mad: Wait a minute what did you do to deserve this? Invent a formula to make Mark lose weight? :p

All I get is free wires from my audio dealer. :mad: Not even a free Fathom!

I am now waiting for my second Fathom f112 and a Gotham. Should be fun,quad Fathoms and one Gotham. :D

Good to see some real deal ghetto systems in there,I have purchased such 80's system myself just ro relive the old times.A complete Cerwin Vega set of mains and sub plus a large Pioneer receiver to power them. :)

I wonder if your GF realizes what kinda music loving monster she created... lol jk

Hahahahh!!! :D :D

Yup, just dont sue me.... :)!!

Have you heard Eggelston Works speakers? They are pretty good. $70 grand is just insane I wouldn't spend that much on one component under any circumstances. There aren't many discs that are recorded well enough to even appreciate it.

Never heard that speaker in person, but several big time audiophiles have those speakers.. Andra II I think. They look MEAN!! :)

Once the Gotham arrives,I will snap pics set it alongside my Fathoms and claim this is a PC "bass module"setup. ;)

For my Tenor Audio amps I am getting Avantgarde horns.Again ...claim its a PC setup. :p

I like being sarcastic.

I'm using the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speaker kit. The center channel was in the wood cabinet below the screen, but now it sits on top between the two speakers. The surrounds and sub are out of sight, obviously.

8Sweet.jpg

very clean none the less... Probably better off with some speaker stands so they can be spread out farther from each other?

I'm using the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speaker kit. The center channel was in the wood cabinet below the screen, but now it sits on top between the two speakers. The surrounds and sub are out of sight, obviously.

8Sweet.jpg

The Ultras can handle HT duties.... it's truly a good system! Nice clean setup you have going there. :)

I connect my laptop to the receiver sometimes... does this count:p

Just got my PB12 NSD today I'm quite happy with the looks and performance here are some pics:

for me it was the klipsch v2.400's that started it all,
I also have some klipsch ultra5.1s not in the picture.

I connect my laptop to the receiver sometimes... does this count:p

Just got my PB12 NSD today I'm quite happy with the looks and performance here are some pics:

for me it was the klipsch v2.400's that started it all,
I also have some klipsch ultra5.1s not in the picture.

Same here... Klipsch 4.1s started me.

Nice system and enjoy that sub!

:)

i love min to... pre ordered it when it was annouced. for me i blew up my z680s and came here for help. after seein all you guys in here with the good stuff i thought "well a reciver is not that much more then 5500's" and its all sore wallet from there.

great setup man.

I posted my setup somewhere in here, but now it's time for an upgrade!

I'm thinking of getting some Monitor Audio RS6's, or Dynaudio Audience 52s... or the new Focal 806's with a subwoofer.

Will pair it up with my Roksan Kandy MKIII... I'll be sure to post pics when I decide what to get (auditionning tonight :D )

I'm thinking about getting the RS6's as well, but I have no idea what kind of amplification it needs. I'm clueless when it comes to stuff like that.

Care to explain a bit of what I need to know to properly amplify the RS6's, or any speaker as a matter of fact?

Take the RS6, it's specifications are:

Sensitivity: 91dB/W/m
Nominal impedance: 6 ohms
Power handling: 120W RMS
Recommended amplifier requirements: 40-120W RMS

So I'll need an amplifier that outputs at least 40W @ 6 ohm per channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back