Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fairly outdated pic, but used to show the front L/R channels.

Temporarily using my Klipsch 5.1 ultra center/rear/sub and using the Yamaha NS-3890s as my front channel.

picture029me5.jpg

Dirty ass room, but things are looking better in there now. New desk which allows me better placement of the speakers, more workable area, and a hell of a lot cleaner.

The little white hook on the left of the monitor is my headphone stand/banana rack which usually holds my v6 until I can afford some nice sennyz

Your speakers remind me of mine (from before)! I think you got the model # wrong.. it's not 3890, it's 8390! Come on now.. :).

15-1.jpg

alright, here are the audio set ups

dad's audio setup for his music

New&

shots of the tube stuffs
TubeAngle.jpg

TubeClose.jpg

Tubes.jpg

Tubeunder.jpg

MAD.jpg

Macintosh.jpg

the sunroom

SunRoomsetup.jpg

AltecLansing.jpg

some shots of the yard for donny

Yard.jpg

Yard2.jpg

Yard3.jpg

Pond.jpg

the game room:

Gameroom.jpg

Gameroom2.jpg

aud.jpg

sub
Sub.jpg

wharfedales front
Wharfedale.jpg

and rear
Rear.jpg

and what im working with =x
2.jpg

@NHO, your Dad swears by the analog gear I see? Very nice gear indeed, is he a proponent of Vinyl aswell?

IMHO tube > solid state.

pics of my old ass speakers (about 13 years old and crack like hell above 25% level) currently planning a more recording studio setup with powered monitors but am still raising funds for it :rolleyes:

Theres a sub on the bottom shelf.

At Home:

AxiomSetup001.jpg

AxiomSetup004.jpg

At School:

DormTheater003.jpg

DormTheater002.jpg

DormTheater001.jpg

Axiom M22's, VP100, QS4's. HSU STF-2 Subwoofer. Yamaha V557-RX Receiver. SPDI/F out from computer. Great sound.

I call it my Dorm Theater.

Danmagicman,

Nice Axiom system! It's interesting that I've had a lot of what you guys have now... great minds think alike!

Here was my Axiom Dorm Theater before... notice the similarities? Yup, that's the mighty Axiom M22ti! Perhaps my first real hifi speaker.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23-1.jpg

:p

Danmagicman,

Nice Axiom system! It's interesting that I've had a lot of what you guys have now... great minds think alike!

Here was my Axiom Dorm Theater before... notice the similarities? Yup, that's the mighty Axiom M22ti! Perhaps my first real hifi speaker.

21.jpg

is that the 19 inch version? i had one, looking at the picture, they were really HUGE! but the pic quality was/IS great.

is that the 19 inch version? i had one, looking at the picture, they were really HUGE! but the pic quality was/IS great.

Yes it's the 19"! It was an awesome monitor about 4 years back... worth every penny!

Pinipig523,

Nice wallpaper in the 3rd pic;) :D :cool:

Doom!

Dude, I built my entire watercooled PC for that GAME! Everything was for Doom3! I got the Monitor 19" Samsung 193P top of the line (at that time) just for that game! The speakers were awesome, the SVS PC+ subwoofer (you see it in the corner) was awesome!

The entire gaming experience was awesome! Truly my first next-gen gaming experience!!

Danmagicman,

Here was my Axiom Dorm Theater before... notice the similarities? Yup, that's the mighty Axiom M22ti! Perhaps my first real hifi speaker

They sure are sweet. I listen to them about 2 feet away on my computer desk. They are awesome, in a word. They are my first HiFi too

What have you experienced as you have "graduated" to better speakers. Do the Axioms hold an excellent value?

They sure are sweet. I listen to them about 2 feet away on my computer desk. They are awesome, in a word. They are my first HiFi too

What have you experienced as you have "graduated" to better speakers. Do the Axioms hold an excellent value?

Dan,

What do you mean what have I experienced? You mean what speakers do I have experience with? Or do you mean what do I think of Axiom as I moved up with experience?

Both would work. :D

Alright Dan....

1. Here's my experience in speakers only in chronological order, I wont go into receivers, amps, preamp, and sources:
Klipsch Promedia 4.1 (started it all) - $199/set
Yamaha NS-8390 (first real set of speakers) - $120/pr
Axiom M22ti (first set of hifi) - $400/pr
Polk LSi7 (upgrade from M22ti, mostly due to sweeter highs) - $700/pr, onsale for $199/pr one week only at Fry's
Polk LSi9 (LSi7 on steroids with better midrange and bass) - $900/pr
Sonus Faber Concertino (more refined than all the other previous speakers, too clean though) - $1800/pr
Sonus Faber Concerto (Concertino with more bass, fuller) - $2200/pr
Martin Logan Mosaics (first truly hi-end speaker, for the first time, I heard some semblance of a true soundstage, fantastic!) - $2000/pr
AV123's Onix Reference 1 (returned the ML Mosaics to save up for bigger Martin Logans, decided to buy the Ref1 bookshelf as an interim speaker) - $1500/pr
Martin Logan Vantage (my first all out, balls to the wall speaker.... fantastic reference level speaker!!) - $5000/pr

Then... on March, 2006, 3 months after getting the ML Vantage, I decided to go all out and get the best speakers I could afford...
Martin Logan Summits (top of the line, no holds barred speaker with an absolutely phenomenal range! 24hz to 20khz easy! Sealed FOUR 10" drivers, each with their own ICEpower amps driving them! Holographic imaging, superior staging width and depth, unreal bass.... probably quicker than anything ported that I've heard! Truly a world class speaker!) - $13000/pr

AV123's Strata Mini (Given to me for free by the owner, my friend Mark Schifter of AV123!) - $2000/pr

I have also heard the following in depth:
Sonus Faber Cremona ($9000)
Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor ($5000)
Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario ($28000)
Quad 2805 Electrostat ($10000)
Magnepan 3.6R ($4500)
Wilson Sophia ($12000)
Wilson Watt/Puppy 7 ($24000)
Wilson Maxx 2 ($48000)
Vandersteen 5A (top end) ($15000)
Von Schweikert VR4jr ($4000)
Von Schweikert VR2
Von Schweikert VR1
Paradigm Signature S8 ($6500)
Paradigm Signature S2 ($2200)
Paradigm Reference Studio 100v3 ($2000)
BW 802D ($12000)
BW 803D ($8000)
BW 804S ($4000)
BW 805S
BW 703 ($2700)
Martin Logan Clarity/Ascent/Aeon/Fresco
JM Labs Focal 928/918
JM Labs Chorus 827
Polk LSi25 ($2500)
Polk LSi15 ($1500)
Deftechs (forgot which numbers, too many to count)
Klipsch RF83/82/62/35/25/15
Klipsch RB35/25
Klipsch SF1/2
Klipsch F3/2/1
Klipsch B3/2
Klipsch SB1
Onix Rocket 850
Onix Reference 3
Onix XLS ($200)
Insignia ($40)
Vienna Acoustics Mozart/Bach

That's pretty much my experience with speakers since I got into audio in 2002, early in undergrad, now in grad school. I wanted to post the prices incase you weren't familiar with it, it's easier to kinda have an idea of where the product stands (or atleast which tier it's marketed for).

2. As to how the Axiom M22ti stand... it stands firmly where it's priced at I think. It's a good speaker and an honest sound from a well-engineered design. The sides are angled inwards to minimize standing waves, the port is vortexed so as to decrease "chuffing", the drivers are lightweight but stiff aluminum to minimize driver-induced coloration. The whole speaker is brought together by a rather simple crossover, so as to minimize info loss as the signal is cut between the HF and the LF. Compromises in the design (or atleast cost-cutbacks) include (IMO), a wide front-baffle, especially at the tweeter level... a bass-reflex design (not as quick in ending the bass transient notes due to lack of positive pressure within the cabinet), a metal dome tweeter that needs a guide (the better a tweeter, the less it needs a guide).. and a lack of range (which isnt really a flaw since it is a bookshelf, duh!). Key is... bass-reflex... sealed is far better from my experience.

I will tell you though... the rabbit hole goes pretty damn deep, Dan. There's a lot of great speakers beyond the price range of the Axiom. I used to be of the belief camp that above a certain price range, say $2000, the difference in sound is minimal.... I was wrong. There is a jump as you go from well-designed (key point here!) $2000 speakers to $10,000 speakers... and the difference is not subtle at all!

My belief, is that at about $10-20,000... speakers become less about technological marvels and become more a preference of which sound you want. Almost all genuinely engineered speakers at the $10-20,000 mark will give you fullrange sound (20hz to 20khz) in a fashion that is perfectly balanced from top to bottom, depending on company of course.... it becomes a question of preference from this point onwards. Is a $50000 speaker worth it? To me, no.... but to others with the money, it probably is.

What I believe is that speakers run out of significant limitations (due to financial cutbacks and cost-savings) at about the $10K mark. Usually, a company is pretty generous on a speaker design, driver implementation, and overall tune... though there are always exceptions.

3. YET, despite all this speaker talk.... we still havent discussed amps and preamp and sources.... 3 of which greatly define the final sound you get from whatever speaker you have.

I can say that a $1000 speaker powered through a source that is well designed at $5000.... will sound more cohesive, more musical, and permeate a better soundstage focus than a $5000 speaker with a $1000 source.

Let me know if you want me to expound on whichever.... thanks! ;)

Hm, I didn't know you went through all those Pinipig523. That's quite a lot. In either case though, good training for the ears ^_^.

Hm, I didn't know you went through all those Pinipig523. That's quite a lot. In either case though, good training for the ears ^_^.

Towert,
I did... and that's cuz I'm an audio nut. Judging by how you're advancing through the past year that I've followed you and your adventures, it's suffice to say that you're not far behind.

Call me Joey from now on... :).

Take care my friend.

Here is my system, I will post actual pics soon.

Speakers: B&W Nautilus 804 (Front), B&W DM600 Series 3 (Rear)
Not an actual picture of my N804's but the ones in front are the exact model and finishI'm using. The DM600 Series 3 are not in this picture, I just yanked it from the net so I'm not sure what those speakers in the back are.

n804-thumb.jpg

Amp: Bryston 3B-ST
Preamp: Threshold T2 Reference Preamp
CD Player: Myryad 100
Speaker, Interconnect Cable: Transparent Audio
Headphones, Sennheiser HD-590

I agree with just about all of this, but I'm going to add my experiences in a few areas. I got into the audiophile game when I was 14 with my first pair of Magnepans, My experiences in the last few years have greatly expanded my knowledge of the extreme high end (where 5 figures is the sales tax, not the equipment), though I sadly can't afford to play at that level.

My belief, is that at about $10-20,000... speakers become less about technological marvels and become more a preference of which sound you want. Almost all genuinely engineered speakers at the $10-20,000 mark will give you fullrange sound (20hz to 20khz) in a fashion that is perfectly balanced from top to bottom, depending on company of course.... it becomes a question of preference from this point onwards. Is a $50000 speaker worth it? To me, no.... but to others with the money, it probably is.

What I believe is that speakers run out of significant limitations (due to financial cutbacks and cost-savings) at about the $10K mark. Usually, a company is pretty generous on a speaker design, driver implementation, and overall tune... though there are always exceptions.

3. YET, despite all this speaker talk.... we still havent discussed amps and preamp and sources.... 3 of which greatly define the final sound you get from whatever speaker you have.

I can say that a $1000 speaker powered through a source that is well designed at $5000.... will sound more cohesive, more musical, and permeate a better soundstage focus than a $5000 speaker with a $1000 source.

Some would argue that the source is the most important component, and I can see where they're coming from. Any downstream component, no matter how good, can only theoretically reproduce what it's fed. It can't make the sound any better. Realistically, even components with six figure price tags are hurting the signal in some (very small) way. The recording is as good as it gets, and it's all downhill from there to your speakers. The goal is to lose as little as possible in each stage. If you're losing a lot in your source, there's no way to make up for it with your amplifiers or speakers..

I've got a pretty respectable system (posted earlier in this thread), and have been using Revel Studios since 2001. At first, I had pretty good electronics, but nothing spectacular. The system sounded great, but it had some limitations. At the time, I didn't realize the importance of the source, and after a few years I grew dissatisfied with it. For system version 2.0, everything changed. I blew my budget, and then some, on electronics. This time, I heard what the speakers could do. If the system was good before, it was transcendental this time. The moral of the story is never underestimate the importance of any component in the system.. You never know where the limiting factor is, or how much it's really hurting the sound.

The same thing applies as the price tag reaches the stratosphere. A good $50k speaker with a good $20k amplifier sounds good, but you probably won't hear enough to justify the price of the speakers. It's not the speaker's fault. Try putting a $150k front end on the same speakers, and suddenly you can understand what they really do. A $10-$20k speaker can't show you what those electronics are capable of. Move up to a $250k speaker with $300k of front end gear, and the same thing happens again. Yes, I realize these prices are insane. I can't afford them and probably never will, but having experience with them, I can see that they're truly a big enough improvement to justify the price tag. Of course, there's also plenty of equipment in those price ranges that's seriously flawed, and possibly priced where it is just for prestige. System matching is also absolutely critical at this level. An outstanding $50k amplifier might not sound good with an outstanding $50k speaker, but that doesn't mean either component is bad.

There are perhaps only a handful of places on the planet where you have the opportunity to hear equipment like this at its best, and I consider myself very lucky that one of them is nearby. It's hard to find a dealer who is more concerned with sound than profit, and the most profitable lines are often not the best sounding. Plenty of dealers can't or won't take the time to really optimize their systems. As a result, few people have the opportunity to really hear what high end equipment can do in the showroom. I was amazed how much better my Revels sounded at home, even straight out of the box, than they had at the store. The dealer was using much more expensive electronics than I was, I'd be surprised if Joey hadn't had a similar experience with his Summits.

As a result, few people have the opportunity to really hear what high end equipment can do in the showroom. I was amazed how much better my Revels sounded at home, even straight out of the box, than they had at the store. The dealer was using much more expensive electronics than I was, I'd be surprised if Joey hadn't had a similar experience with his Summits.

Steve,
I agree with your experience.... I have heard my Summits in several dealers and none have impressed me the way I have mine set up at home! For some reason, I have found that the right set of equipment truly brings the best out of the system, and the better the front end, the better the speaker has to work with.

So yes, I've had the same experience with my Summits... I've heard it powered by Krells and Hovlands and it still wasnt the same.

I still have a few things to experiment on... tubes at the amplification end of things would be an interesting thing to witness, I would like to see exactly how the panels would respond to tubes vs Class A solid state.

I will add though, that as good as some equipment can be, there has to be a line drawn before we start placing $50K amps for $20K speakers on a more regular basis. I think that there are a lot of moderately priced components that can approach or even beat out an overly expensive upstream if synergy is present.

:)

Pinipig523 said:
Holographic imaging, superior staging width and depth, unreal bass.... probably quicker than anything ported that I've heard! Truly a world class speaker!) - $13000/pr

Don't you mean "Holosonic" since you can't see the sound image?

Call me Joey from now on... :).

Take care my friend.
Sure thing Joey, and likewise feel free to call me Drew.

it's suffice to say that you're not far behind.
I do what I can afford, but I plan to have a lot of fun trying out different equpiment and finding a sweet speaker setup and headphone setup... eventually.

Hopefully when I start working I won't have to worry about being able to afford any of this stuff, and can just go head over heels in it.

All in time!

Blackstone, I'm realling digging the B&W setup. Enjoy it!

I love the B&Ws (N804). They are terrific, even in comparison to my father's N802's, which are superior in every way, but of course much larger and more expensive.

As for the discussion about the "source" being the most important component, I think that is FACT. As a matter of pure logic, your system is only as good as the weakest link. I agree with the idea that you are better off putting really really good components in front of speakers that perhaps are not quite at the same level. The reason is that really good speakers, being pretty much the last link in the chain, usually give you MORE of everything that is feeding it, so if your front end has flaws (too muddy, too noisy, too harsh, too thin sounding) then the audiophile speakers bring more of that out.

For example, there are much better speakers than my N804s (I believe they went for around $4k new back in the 90's) but notwithstanding their limited bass (they aren't full range), there is simply no limit to what kind of front end I can feed them. I could put a gaint Mark Levinson dual mono amp and a DCS stack (DAC and Upsampler) or upsampling SACD/cd player ($14k?) and those speakers will reward me for it. I won't hear all that is there but I'll get most of it and I'll benefit from every upgrade and have no complaints.

On the other hand, my father has the much better B&W N802's, and for YEARS, even with a huge Mark Levison amp, a $5,000 preamp, a super high end Goldmund CD transport and Goldmund DAC the system didn't wow me. The reason is that, as good as the front end was, it wasn't that impressive because the speakers were so good that you could hear all the flaws of the Compact Disc format. CD's just don't sound that good. It wasn't until he upgraded to the DCS stack (Delius DAC and Purcell Upsampler, pretty close to the best digital there is) that I started really appreciating the system because the upsampler cures a lot of the problems with Compact Discs by digitally converting (interpolating) them so they sound a lot more like DSD (SACD) or good vinyl.

My point is that the more expensive your speakers are, the more you are going to want to invest in front end equipment. Speakers are cheap when compared to the equipment that will drive them to their full potential. When you put really good components infront of speakers that are good but not quite as good, you might be missing something from your music or sound, but when you have speakers that totally outclass your front end components you can wind up with sound that is actually irritating in some ways. Audiophile speakers need to be well fed.

I love the B&Ws (N804). They are terrific, even in comparison to my father's N802's, which are superior in every way, but of course much larger and more expensive.

As for the discussion about the "source" being the most important component, I think that is FACT. As a matter of pure logic, your system is only as good as the weakest link. I agree with the idea that you are better off putting really really good components in front of speakers that perhaps are not quite at the same level. The reason is that really good speakers, being pretty much the last link in the chain, usually give you MORE of everything that is feeding it, so if your front end has flaws (too muddy, too noisy, too harsh, too thin sounding) then the audiophile speakers bring more of that out.

For example, there are much better speakers than my N804s (I believe they went for around $4k new back in the 90's) but notwithstanding their limited bass (they aren't full range), there is simply no limit to what kind of front end I can feed them. I could put a gaint Mark Levinson dual mono amp and a DCS stack (DAC and Upsampler) or upsampling SACD/cd player ($14k?) and those speakers will reward me for it. I won't hear all that is there but I'll get most of it and I'll benefit from every upgrade and have no complaints.

On the other hand, my father has the much better B&W N802's, and for YEARS, even with a huge Mark Levison amp, a $5,000 preamp, a super high end Goldmund CD transport and Goldmund DAC the system didn't wow me. The reason is that, as good as the front end was, it wasn't that impressive because the speakers were so good that you could hear all the flaws of the Compact Disc format. CD's just don't sound that good. It wasn't until he upgraded to the DCS stack (Delius DAC and Purcell Upsampler, pretty close to the best digital there is) that I started really appreciating the system because the upsampler cures a lot of the problems with Compact Discs by digitally converting (interpolating) them so they sound a lot more like DSD (SACD) or good vinyl.

My point is that the more expensive your speakers are, the more you are going to want to invest in front end equipment. Speakers are cheap when compared to the equipment that will drive them to their full potential. When you put really good components infront of speakers that are good but not quite as good, you might be missing something from your music or sound, but when you have speakers that totally outclass your front end components you can wind up with sound that is actually irritating in some ways. Audiophile speakers need to be well fed.
I will agree.. the N802 have always been borderline irritating to me. However, the new 802D are far better in keeping coherent without being too irritating in the top end. That said, it may also be that the Goldmund and whichever else amps/pres your dad has may not be the ideal combo for that particular speaker.... lack of a certain synergy perhaps.

Anyway, I agree that it's only as good as its weakest link... that's a fact like you mentioned previously.

Great speakers, btw!

I will agree.. the N802 have always been borderline irritating to me. However, the new 802D are far better in keeping coherent without being too irritating in the top end. That said, it may also be that the Goldmund and whichever else amps/pres your dad has may not be the ideal combo for that particular speaker.... lack of a certain synergy perhaps.

Anyway, I agree that it's only as good as its weakest link... that's a fact like you mentioned previously.

Great speakers, btw!

You own my Dream speakers. I'll say though, I'd take SACD over upsampled 44.1 CD-Audio anyday=P In fact, same goes for DVD-Audio. The last time I heard the Summits the source was a SACD.

http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/JohnEltonGoodbyeYellowSACD.html

Funny, does listening to Hi-Fi cause some kind of damned "time travel". I enjoyed the four songs I heard so much that it seem like I was listening for 3 mins LOL! I know most the songs and they weren't cut, what's up with that?

You own my Dream speakers. I'll say though, I'd take SACD over upsampled 44.1 CD-Audio anyday=P In fact, same goes for DVD-Audio. The last time I heard the Summits the source was a SACD.

http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/JohnEltonGoodbyeYellowSACD.html

Funny, does listening to Hi-Fi cause some kind of damned "time travel". I enjoyed the four songs I heard so much that it seem like I was listening for 3 mins LOL! I know most the songs and they weren't cut, what's up with that?

Donnie,

Hahahah!! Cool man! Glad you like the Summits also!

Regarding SACD, you're probably right.... that's one field that I dont have a lot of hands on experience with... I've heard SACD, but I havent necessarily done more than that. I was looking at the Cary 306SACD player with the digital inputs that would function as a standalone DAC unit for my server based Squeezebox3... but it's a little too expensive at $6000 and it isnt much cheaper on the used market either at $3800. I'm going to hold off for a little bit until prices hit reality a little moreso (used I mean) and I'm going to stick with my DAC III for a few months or so.

Great speakers, btw!

Right but just to be clear, the 802s aren't irritating, what was irritating was the front end, which we replaced, and the ultimate front end component--the CD itself. Upsampling is like converting a CD to an SACD (almost). So it wasn't just a question of synergy, which is also very important. It was the quality of the CD format itself, the flaws of which were being amplified by really good speakers. The Goldmund stuff is history. We even replaced the Goldmund CD transport ($6k?) with a $300 Squeezebox just to feed the DCS gear. Now he has the DCS Delius DAC Preamp and Purcell Upsampler. With this front end, going up any higher, even to the 802D is just unecessary although he has the front end for it. The system is SO good now it is simply uncanny. The system always had good imaging but now it is unreal. Before the upsampler I'd play certain audiophile jazz discs or fusion CDs with lots of instruments on them and you'd get a pretty clear sound stage and you'd hear all the instruments in their glory and the effects and reverbs and all that good stuff. With the upsampler everything is to the next level though, now you hear the guitar, you hear CLEARLY every NUANCE of every effects gadget that was used on the guitar signal chain, you can hear the digital delay on the guitar decay down to nothing after every guitar riff, you hear that the Congas were recorded in a certain type of room, you just get this total control booth like separation. Instruments just appear in their own clearly defined space no matter how many there are. And nothing is ever harsh or irritating now--almost all recordings sound like they are audiophile quality.

Squeezebox makes CD players and transports totally uncessary. Digital out goes into Delius D/A converter.
squeezebox11-squeezeboxshot.jpg

Delius D/A Converter
dcsDelius.jpg

Purcell DSD Upsampler
pucell-1000.jpg

B&W N802
UltraLevinson.jpg

B_W_Nautilus_802_Home_Theatre_Speakers.jpg

I think this system will do nicely with Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3, and Half Life2: Episode2, dontcha think?

Squeezebox makes CD players and transports totally uncessary. Digital out goes into Delius D/A converter.
squeezebox11-squeezeboxshot.jpg

Delius D/A Converter
dcsDelius.jpg

Blackstone,

Gotcha on all accounts.

I also use the Squeezebox3, but am inputing to a PS Audio Digital Link DAC III... I'm going to do a search on your particular Delius. The Squeezebox3 is ok... but I think that I'm moving to a Sonos.

Thanks!

I think this system will do nicely with Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3, and Half Life2: Episode2, dontcha think?

Yes, but is your dad going to allow you to do such a thing?

The best thing is playing Gears of War or Fight Night 3 on the 360 through my system... such a rush!!

I bet your RA loved that svs...

Umm... hehehe.... I once was able to pressurize the bedroom to the point where the ceiling seemed to get sucked towards the floor with the bass, talk about reality distortion!!

And, yes, I did get many complaints... at one time, I distinctly remember me and my roomates getting a knock on the door with 2 girls who asked us to stop dribbling the basketball. We were like, "We didn't dribble a basketball."

Girls said, "Well the third floor guys must've been lying to us then..."

The hilarity of the situation was that they were from the 2nd floor, while we were on the 4th floor!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back