Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess budget is a relative term. When I think budget I think of my Marantz SR5400 and Onix X-LS 5.1 system.

Still, I don't think that many people consider an 1800 dollar MSRP sub and 1100 dollar receiver as entry level/budget type equipment. I can see saying that a HT that cost less than 3,000 as budget or entry level (audioholics calls their 3,000 dollar recommendation entry level) Maybe even 5,000. Once you're well above 5 grand you're not really in the budget domain anymore.

Still, I don't think that many people consider an 1800 dollar MSRP sub and 1100 dollar receiver as entry level/budget type equipment.
Yea, you're right and those would be the same people that think bose is good sound quality. ^_^

When you start looking at setups where the CD player is 8k, the two front speakers are 20k for the pair (not including surround for HT), preamps, amps, dacs, cables, sound treatments, etc etc............... and my classification of budget is not what the common person would call budget. Budget for the common person is a 200$ HT in a box combo.

No biggy though. I still like the Denon and B&W matching (that's what I have right now for my main speaker rig).

Still, I don't think that many people consider an 1800 dollar MSRP sub and 1100 dollar receiver as entry level/budget type equipment. I can see saying that a HT that cost less than 3,000 as budget or entry level (audioholics calls their 3,000 dollar recommendation entry level) Maybe even 5,000. Once you're well above 5 grand you're not really in the budget domain anymore.

I dont think it's budget.... it may not be expensive, but it sure aint cheap.

omni 60 = 330
omni cc = 200
omni fx = 250
pb 12-nsd = 690
denon av-686s 300
interconnectors and other cables = 300
diy speaker cable = 380

definitely under 3gs / budget
definitely sounds great

Yea, you're right and those would be the same people that think bose is good sound quality. ^_^

So anyone that thinks an 1800 dollar sub ISN'T budget, is the type of person that thinks bose is good sound quality? Are you kidding me? Are you trying to be insulting or are you just naturally a jerk/idiot? What sub do you have?

When you start looking at setups where the CD player is 8k, the two front speakers are 20k for the pair (not including surround for HT), preamps, amps, dacs, cables, sound treatments, etc etc............... and my classification of budget is not what the common person would call budget. Budget for the common person is a 200$ HT in a box combo.

So theres budget, and then theres 40,000 dollar audio systems, and theres nothing in between? Use a little common sense dude.

I find it amusing that from a quick perusal of your post history, you were at one time looking at buying some 77 dollar Cerwin Vegas, now you've bought yourself a cheap Denon receiver and you're calling 1800 dollar subs budget. Nice turn around, wannabe audio snob.

Maybe your e-paenis grows everytime you pretend you have tons of money?

No worries, great system there Nicolaski. Nice setup, very clean as well.

I just picked up a denon 2307 with some polk rti 10's and a csi3 center. I am definitely enjoying it!

Are you trying to be insulting or are you just naturally a jerk/idiot?
Please don't waste your efforts on me Nic, it's not worth it.

xref, I totally agree, let's see those speaker setups!

I don't think I posted my campus speaker setup yet, so here it is (A little dated, but the speaker setup is the same).
1.jpg

Closeup of audio/computer rack

I am so amazed at the sonic change that has happened from my at home setup to my dorm setup....... room acoustic's played a HUGE role on these speakers. Before these speakers were lacking bass, now they have too much bass (had to plug them up, and even then it's a fair amount).

I'll update my pic, when I learn to organize my cables lol.I think some of you already seen my setup

Maybe your e-paenis grows everytime you pretend you have tons of money?

Thats what I thought as well, but its obvious from his posts and his setup that he doesn't have any money, so I was a little confused. I guess when you're an audio snob without much gear you have to be EXTRA snobby to make up for it, whereas guys like pinipig that actually have the goods don't need to compensate.

Just wanted to post a new addition... the rack and the DAC. The DAC's not mine exactly, but I'm putting an order for one in at this moment. I had to audition it in my system and I thought it took my system to another level!

Without the DAC (since I had to return it this past weekend, it was loaned to me by my local audiophile friend), I dont feel like listening to my system again since I hear the lack of a good source.... which kinda sucks.

Anyway, here are some preliminary pics... I'll post better ones once I get the real thing in and after I rearrange my rack. After the DAC, a turntable!

Cary SLP-98L tube preamp.... and the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. Underneath is the SlimDevices Squeezebox3 which I want to upgrade to a Sonos system... and the powersupply for the Cary tube preamp.
DSC01242.jpg

I "upgraded" the Chinese tubes to 4 of the NOS Sylvania tubes, much better midrange prowess I think (and so did several other audiophiles who stopped by)!
DSC01240.jpg

You can see the Plinius at the bottom.... such a lovely amp. When I go Class A, it really brings the image focus together and solidifies it to this eerie 3-dimensional feel with regards to the vocals. Kinda like you can reach out and touch the singer on the cheeks... sorta.
DSC01238.jpg

This is a quick pic of my setup a little zoomed in from my sweetspot.... not much to look at, but I usually turn the lights off and I'm off to another land (like seriously).... it's ridiculous how good hifi gets!
DSC01237.jpg

As for my next move after the DAC, like I said, I want a TurnTable... but I need a phonostage.... so I'm thinking of upgrading my preamp to this guy.... which is essentially the same as mine, but with the added phono option! Plus, I kinda like the color... The seller's local to me, so I might spring for it.
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1177452261
:)

I am so amazed at the sonic change that has happened from my at home setup to my dorm setup....... room acoustic's played a HUGE role on these speakers. Before these speakers were lacking bass, now they have too much bass (had to plug them up, and even then it's a fair amount).

Do I see a GS-1? That's a good amp to power headphones with, I had that amp before. Sweet setup, a killer dorm setup for sure.

Thats what I thought as well, but its obvious from his posts and his setup that he doesn't have any money, so I was a little confused. I guess when you're an audio snob without much gear you have to be EXTRA snobby to make up for it, whereas guys like pinipig that actually have the goods don't need to compensate.

Nic,

Dont worry about it man... I think your setup is great and I like the Infinity sub! It's a killer setup, far above budget if you ask me.... if anything, it's at the entry door of hifi if anything. Keep up the audio adventure!

;)

Do I see a GS-1? That's a good amp to power headphones with, I had that amp before. Sweet setup, a killer dorm setup for sure.

Thanks for the nice comments Joey!
Yes, it is indeed the GS-1. It was actually thanks to your review of the GS-1 and G-Lite that influence me to upgrade from my G-Lite + DPS. I'm very glad I did, and I've been enjoying it for about a year now.

Great looking audio rack! And of course I always love the look of that Cary Preamp.

Hm, I'll have to keep an eye on the PS audio DAC

Don't take it seriously, something tells me the person that called that budget doesn't even make 2000 a month and probably has tuition/board payed by mommy and daddy. Killer setup, I'd post mine but it's only worth around 3500.. wouldn't want to laughed at by elite audiophiles :rolleyes:

So many college dorm room setups...how do you people listen to anything without bringing the house down lol

I mean, these speakers I'm seeing are HUGE :p

So many college dorm room setups...how do you people listen to anything without bringing the house down lol

If I'm in my dorm and I decide to use the speakers, I always keep them low so as not to disturb others. The headphoens I can go crazy with. ^_^

main listening:
mainspeakers.jpg

B&W DM220 mains
Yamaha A720 Integrated amp (gettin' on 30 years old almost and still supplies loads of power)
dbx DX-5 CD Player
Technics SL-1700 Phono

Computer Setup:
compspeakers.jpg

Advent Legacy mains (these things provide some serious bass for some reason)
Harman/Kardon AVR55 Reciever (used to be my main reciever, didn't supply as much power to the B&W's as the yamaha though)
Technics SL-P350 CD Player
Yamaha KX-220U Cassette Deck
Realistic 10 band EQ
sound out digital from PC to Digital in on reciever

as much as I love my current B&W setup, I'm currently budgeting a $1500 used pair of the original B&W 801 Matrix speakers that I've been drooling over for a couple of months.

If I'm in my dorm and I decide to use the speakers, I always keep them low so as not to disturb others. The headphoens I can go crazy with. ^_^

But then, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having such large speakers? I mean, if you can't blast them, or at least use them at loud volumes, what's the point?

those aren't the largest speakers out there for one thing... and it's not always about blasting them as loud as they can go, sound quality goes a long way.

those aren't the largest speakers out there for one thing... and it's not always about blasting them as loud as they can go, sound quality goes a long way.

My line of thinking is such that if you're going to be using large speakers, you'd be using them at a high volume some of the time.

Blasting speakers in a small room defeats the purpose of good speakers IMHO--your ears will just pick up less detail and nuances if the sound is too loud, what's the point? Listening at just above normal conversation volume is plenty enough.

some of the time makes sense, hell I pretty much push both pairs of my speakers to their clearity limits daily in terms of volume (which is pretty fucking loud as you can hear it throughout my apartment building) but it's not necessary all the time.

A little cluttered right now. i'm working on selling off all my xbox parts and little stuff. haha look at my moniter. my camera sucks, lol
speaker1.jpg

denon 885 + japanese smoke xbox. i'm runnin all optical, pc, xbox, 360.
speaker2.jpg

sub with my speakers. jbl scs 160 i beleive. i think it's in my sig
speaker3.jpg

this shit rocks the place. don't think cause they are small they don't kick ass. (i paid 30 for the speakers, at a retail store. and the receiver was 300 with 5 yr) retail 1200 dollar system.

i do need a media rack. anyone have any suggestions?

when I stayed in the dorms, a year ago, my klipsch subs shook the ceiling so hard that plaster fell off like it was snowing. :p

My line of thinking is such that if you're going to be using large speakers, you'd be using them at a high volume some of the time.

I do blast mine.... with the Summit electrostats, I usually listen between 80-90db from my seat.... making it hit close to about 100db peaks at 1m from the panels themselves. It may seem pretty loud... but it's the way to get at close to reference (or real life) volumes. It's all about quality though.... at 85db or so, the image is lifelike in size and palpability and the stage is so deep and so wide, it usually gives me a hair raising experience when the music is right.

Oh, and I measured with a Radio Shack SPL meter to make sure that the numbers I gave you are right.

It's all about getting to reference, my friends. When BB King is singing to you, and he's shouting, he's not shouting at 70db, he's probably peaking at 90db or so if it were real life... and that's what I try to reproduce with my system.

So it's not necessarily about how loud a system can get, for me and from my 4 year stint in audiophile-ness, it's more about how close to reality can I get. And let me tell you, with the right components, you can get eeriely close. ;)

Sound quality my friend, sound quality!

I guess I can understand that...then again, with my Z-640s, playing them loudly is kinda nice coz it really gets the juice flowing.

On speakers like yours, I'm guessing the sound quality decreases as you increase the volume?

On speakers like yours, I'm guessing the sound quality decreases as you increase the volume?
I have no idea. I don't like listening to music loud... in fact I don't like any lound noises (want to keep my hearing as best I can).
All I know is that for my listening usage, I picked these speakers because they sounded very good for their price (I love these things!).

I guess I can understand that...then again, with my Z-640s, playing them loudly is kinda nice coz it really gets the juice flowing.

I cant speak for tower but on mine, they get better in sq as I go louder.

Do you have a link to the project or is it your own design? How do they sound and how far down do they extend? And finally, how much did they run you? :D I'm getting an itch to upgrade my speakers, and I want to go DIY again.

Sorry about the time to my reply.It is my own design, I used speaker measurement software in conjuction with a condensor microphone and imedance measurement jig in order to simulate crossover design. As well as simulation tools before actual construction. In a ported configuration the tops reach down to 50hz, however sealed they reach down to about 90 (this is the configuration i use, as i am using them with two high quality subwoofers for bass, with parametric eq, as detailed in my OP). I have pmed you since it took me a while to reply

Hey thank you noodle_snacks!

I am definitely not brave enough to attempt my own design at this point :D I can imagine the satisfaction from something you developed and built yourself is very high, though. Great looking setup!

A fairly outdated pic, but used to show the front L/R channels.

Temporarily using my Klipsch 5.1 ultra center/rear/sub and using the Yamaha NS-3890s as my front channel.

picture029me5.jpg

Dirty ass room, but things are looking better in there now. New desk which allows me better placement of the speakers, more workable area, and a hell of a lot cleaner.

The little white hook on the left of the monitor is my headphone stand/banana rack which usually holds my v6 until I can afford some nice sennyz

digitalmind, what lcd is that?

It's a rebranded/repackaged 26" 720p Philips that was sold here by a large computer shop. I doubt you could get the same one across the pond. It's decent image but some ghosting in dark scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back