Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got my Athena AS-B1 yestarday and hooked them up today after i got my cables.

IMG_0654.jpg

and here they are on my desk
IMG_0662.jpg

ds said:
My current setup.

My HK reciver is coming, and I'll get my Athenas up when it arrives and post an update :)

judging by the picture on the tv, that is an OLD pic... :p

ccotenj said:
judging by the picture on the tv, that is an OLD pic... :p

LOL I see what you mean, but I just took it yesterday. TSN was doing a recap of some hockey stuff since they are back in business.

Well to start off:

I purchased a Logitech Z530 set the other day to replace my aging Creative speakers. If you notice in the first picture, you will be able to make out the center and front left and right speakers.

deskspeakers1.jpg

And the rig I built for the rear Speakers, Yes it may look ghetto, but it works:

rear%20speakers%20rig.jpg

rear%20speakers1.jpg

Scorpionjwp said:
Well to start off:

I purchased a Logitech Z530 set the other day to replace my aging Creative speakers. If you notice in the first picture, you will be able to make out the center and front left and right speakers.

And the rig I built for the rear Speakers, Yes it may look ghetto, but it works:

Incredibly ghetto!

chaintech av710/soundstorm mcp-t -> advent 402s (needs some cleaning, deoxit anyone?) -> onix rocket ELT LRS, dayton tiny mighty sub (port facing in on right corner of room, rattles desk:(), sennheiser dsp pro - sennheiser hd580, sony v6, er6, grado sr60 (gone)

img38170om.jpg

Current setup:

And the other 2 B2s are mounted to the rear. I'd have pics but my camera batteries died on this one :p

schapman said:
Current setup:

And the other 2 B2s are mounted to the rear. I'd have pics but my camera batteries died on this one :p
How are the Athena speakers working out? I'm looking for a "somewhat" small bookshelf speaker that does'nt cost much. Do you think you could give a quick sum up of how you like them? (Oh, and are they the Version 1 or Version 2's?)
Can you compare them to any other same priced bookshelf speakers?

~Thanks

I really enjoy them. When i bought them (a couple years back), they were like 199CAD for the pair and they compared (to my ears) with the polks that were about 150 more.

The 6.5 makes a good difference and they match up really nicely w/ the athena sub because you can just turn a dial on the sub to match the series of speakers you haev and it adjusts it's crossover.

edit: they'd probably compare well with the energy's of the same pricerange.

Reciever should be in this week, can't wait to get my Athenas up.

ill post mine when im home. they are a little large to sit on the desk, though im sure mods could be made so they can.

Who would like for me to do a version 2 of my rear speaker setup?
That one that is mounted to the chair looks way ghetto, but I think I can do better.

On the up side, the music quality from the Logitech Z-530 is great.

magnetik said:
haha Thx.. this thread is so old.. I built some shelves since then. :) It's hard working with a smaller desk sometimes. I have my shuttle perfectly on one of the shelves now..

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=891492&highlight=built+shelves

DSC00885.jpg

What desk is that? (nice custom shelves on it too) I just noticed two of you guys have it in this thread (maybe more, I haven't looked through the entire thing) but it looks really nice, and is able to hold AV equip on the upper shelves. I am currently desk shopping, and I'm fond of the Ikea "Jerker" but I know that all of the upper shelves are only 1 foot in depth, which means my receiver won't quite fit, but that desk seems to fit the bill.

Anyway, any info would be nice.

I got it from K-Mart when they were going out of business near my house for $35. I have seen a couple on this thread like mine that might work... the Jerker looks good.. as well as the one a few pages back that looked almost exactly like mine. Keep in mind that the shelves up top a still too short for my gear so I modified that also with some shelving. :)

Artluo100 said:
I got to give it to ya, magnetik, nice setup you have going on there.

thanks!

I can't believe this thread keeps coming back from the dead.. haha

don't you bump into those speaker stands when you are trying to get in/out of your chair? why have the speakers that close to you insted of just using headphones for "close range listening"?

compslckr said:
don't you bump into those speaker stands when you are trying to get in/out of your chair? why have the speakers that close to you insted of just using headphones for "close range listening"?

Nope, and headphones could never provide the full surround effect like this.

Wow, what is up with you guys and all the off-brand speakers? Where is the Bose? Everyone knows Bose is the best! :confused:

(just kidding!)

speakers6tf.jpg

This setup is only temporary till I can afford to build a new LARGER desk ;)

saturnine2 said:
This setup is only temporary till I can afford to build a new LARGER desk ;)
Do those speakers sound right being so close...............?
Or do you notice if you move your chair back the sound becomes better spaced?

towert7 said:
Do those speakers sound right being so close...............?
Or do you notice if you move your chair back the sound becomes better spaced?
No, and yes :) They really need to be spaced a bit farther apart, and farther from the wall. They also need to be level. They do sound a 100x better than the Creative 5.1 speakers I used to use...

just got my Infinity Beta 50's in the mail, center c250 still coming
once my cash is replenished i'll get a REAL reciever, sub, and rear satellites

i wish i could take off the ~100hz z-680 crossover...

Cesium said:

Those look very nice...

I like how you placed the floorstanders on a stand and brought the drivers over the desk.

However, it might not be as good that high. The reason is that you dont need the bass-woofers to be pointed at you since they dont project sound that is easily localized. As long as the midrange driver (2nd to top) and tweeter are free from objects in the way, it should be ok.

The reason I bring this up is that your tweeter might be positioned too high for your ears. Tweeter height should be ear level otherwise the FR response is altered in your hearing.

Of course, you could just be very very tall. :p

Cesium said:

those are sweet looking :)

I may upgrade my MTX speakers to the Beta series in the next year or so :)

bjornb17 said:
those are sweet looking :)
I may upgrade my MTX speakers to the Beta series in the next year or so
Yes, and we all know looks directly correlate into good sound ;)

saturnine2 said:
Wow, what is up with you guys and all the off-brand speakers? Where is the Bose? Everyone knows Bose is the best! :confused:

Here's the Bose for you.

Yes, they are Bose. Bose 305. Yes, I am happy with them. No, I don't agree with the "No highs, no lows, must be Bose". Sure, that saying fits perfect with the new "speakers" Bose makes these days, but these oldies are actually pretty good.

1.jpg

2.jpg

ooooohhhh pretty xbox :p

Cesium, just wondering, how much were those Beta 50's?

towert7 said:
Yes, and we all know looks directly correlate into good sound ;)

Ha. Ha :eek:

I've heard the speakers before and like them. I was just mentioning that i was planning on get them in the future, while complimenting him on his nice setup :cool:

Come on, speakers are not like cars. Cars with racing stripes go faster, that's just common sense. I think everyone knows that.

bjornb17 said:
Ha. Ha :eek:

I've heard the speakers before and like them. I was just mentioning that i was planning on get them in the future, while complimenting him on his nice setup :cool:

Come on, speakers are not like cars. Cars with racing stripes go faster, that's just common sense. I think everyone knows that.

Lets not forget that those stickers that say "R-type" also add 5 hp.

i first tried having them sitting on the floor and it just sounded kinda funny as my desk is 28" tall and the top of the first 8" driver is 31" up, so most of both of them were being blocked

also, when i try and sit up to ear level with the tweeters, the sound is nearly identical, but the highs are slightly more defined, so i thdink im going to figure out if i can angle them down at me some way

i bought these on ebay from Sound Distributors for a real good price of $380 + $84 shipping
they were advertised as having some minor shipping damage and not coming with the front bezels, but sure enough the came with the bezels which work perfect after i applied some super glue :D and just a couple dings on the back side of the cabinets which are barely noticable. they dont affect the sound at all and the drivers were in perfect condition

i must say that i feel like im the guy being blown out of his chair in that Maxell commercial lol
these are huge

unfortunately i have to have my crt in the dead center of these things or else the magnetism gets them from even 3' away!

Well, I finally got my speaker cable, so I'll post my pictures now.
Equipment:
Denon AVR685s receiver
Two B&W 601 S3 bookshelf speakers
Beyerdynamic DT990pro (600ohm version)
Two 10' Dayton Audio cables with banana plugs
Acoustic Research PVR172 Pro II 12' digital coaxial
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS platinum

bw601.jpg

bw601-2.jpg

bw601-3.jpg

I really like this setup. The only problem is that the speakers are soo close to me, I don't get a very good soundstage and sound is a little off. Also, the positioning of them in the room is'nt that great eaither. One is near a wall, the other is open ~_~.

All in all though, I like them. Total cost (not including computer or headphone) was about 740$us.

~Towert7

tower, try placing the speakers up on the top shelf pointed "straight out"...

i think part of your soundstage issue is that they are too far apart for the distance you are sitting from them (and because of that distance, the angling probably causes you to localize them very easily), and another part of the soundstage issue is that shelf being in-between them...

worth a shot, anyway...

ccotenj said:
tower, try placing the speakers up on the top shelf pointed "straight out"...

i think part of your soundstage issue is that they are too far apart for the distance you are sitting from them (and because of that distance, the angling probably causes you to localize them very easily), and another part of the soundstage issue is that shelf being in-between them...

worth a shot, anyway...
Before I got my receiver, this is what I expected to do. It would be much more on ear level. I "was" going to put the receiver under the center (under the board where the monitor sits), but it turned out to be just a little too tall. And I have no where else to put it. It hangs off way to much on the sides.

I agree though, the proportions are just not right. They are too far apart. About 5.5ft apart, and I only sit back about 1.5 feet in front of them.

I'm still thinking of other possibilities, but nothing seems to be jumping out unless I buy something to hold the receiver.

~Thanks

Well, I moved a few things, and sacrificed a few things, and I got the speakers on the top shelf now, and boy it sounds better already.

I had to put the monitor to the side a little, which I'm not fond of, but its worth the better audio in this case.

I'll get an updated picture tommorw.

bw601-4b.jpg

Ok, new placement of things. Sounds better then the old setup.
I tried them pointing "straight out", but it just did'nt sound right. It was lacking to much of the highs so I used a little toe-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back