Post your "rate my cables" here

I bought the Corsair Obsidian 800D deliberately to have an easier wiring/routing experience. So, I almost wonder if it's cheating to use this case.

Even though wiring this new case was so much easier than my Antec P180, I was cramming 3 times the stuff (lights, more drives, lots more fans headers, etc) that I figure it evens out.

I was initially going to do an all black build. But while trying to figure out the best way to remove the white Corsair logos from the H50 CPU cooler and the front of the case, I decided instead to embrace the black and white instead of making everything flat black - which I figured would be more visually interesting anyway.

So - after years of building computers - I finally embarked on a good-looking, windowed, nicely wired case with lighting. I read sleeving guides for weeks, tried it myself and it just made me want to throw things against the wall. So, I dug around for options and came up with black vinyl dye (not paint) that saved me hours of mind wrecking sleeving and kept the wires looking much nicer than I imagined. For lighting, I avoided the typical blue/green/red options and went again with white to do keep with the black/white look - which matched the LEDs on the front of the Corsair case anyway.

With all of that covered, I settled on an overall super-simplistic, ultra-clean look. Nothing industrial or looking like it came from a Transformers movie. Some red accents crept in on the GPU backplanes and motherboard heatsink (thanks EVGA).

But other than that, here's my nicely cabled, black white beast (specs in signature). Oh yeah - and I lifted her skirt so you could see her backside since so many of you ask about 'show me the back'. Here it is:

The frontside
dsc01164j.jpg

Close up on the white-modded EVGA GTX 275's and black dyed cables
dsc01168.jpg

Close up on both the EVGA motherboard, modded cards with blackplate, RAM slot covers, and black dyed cables
dsc01185.jpg

The cheap, but surprisingly quiet Logisys White CCFL fans blowing out. Wires are all routed behind in a track barely large enough for all of them. If you look closely, you'll see one of the blue inverters behind the left and center fans. Tip: Typical CCFL extensions are made of such low-grade wire that you lose luminence. Either route your inverter close enough to reach, or make your own higher-grade CCFL extensions.
dsc01172as.jpg

The bottom chamber - which shows the multiple fan and USB headers, tightly torqued PSU cables and two metal deflectors powder coated black to hide the top and bottom CCFL tube accent lights. CCFL cables exit right, go down, wrap around 140mm fan (center right of pic) and route to the back of the case between fan and boxy chamber on right.
dsc01173c.jpg

And her backside
dsc01176.jpg

All lit up with window
dsc01197p.jpg

And contrary to naysayers, I do have a DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-Drive attached. I used a 90 degree angled SATA power/data cable to keep it from sticking out (see last pic again). This is a finished, complete, running machine. No tricks or hidden wires. Well...actually lots of hidden wires.

I've been PM'd for more details, so I posted a more detailed [H] worklog here at dugn's Corsair Obsidian Build

Last edited:
dugn I like your case alot.

I think you could improve the H50's cooling if you got rid of some of the bends in your tubing. Looks like they are doing about 270 degrees in turns. Less bends = better flow of liquid in tubes for better flow and less stress on the pump.

Clean.

A fairly simple rebuild of my existing system but lets see what you guys think of this:

It's so great to be back, watch for me in the general hardware forum as I'll be announcing the location/name of my upcoming hardware/gaming related podcast in the next few weeks!

Very clean.

Are the hard drives connected?

One hard drive and one optical drive connected in the lower compartment. Antec gives you a 5.25" - 3.5" bracket so it's quite simple to mount the hard drive down below.

Things wouldn't be AS clean if I would have had more then the two drives installed but (regardless) I'm still quite pleased with how things turned out.

Close up on the white-modded EVGA GTX 275's and black dyed cables
dsc01168.jpg

I love the white mod on the video card. I have thought of doing that to my card a while back, but in blue to match the lighting in my case.

Very sleek mod. Kudos.

Not bad, the wires laying on the bottom of the case could probably be pulled tighter and routed in behind the 3.5" bays.

What is the grey wire running across the center of the mobo? Looks like the old school cd audio cable that plugs into your optical drive. If so it's not needed with anything newer then WinXP...the thing looks a little thin to be a USB header cable and its a bit of a weird placement for most other things.

It's a Gigabyte motherboard = that cable is a front panel audio. Each and every Gigabyte board have that connector exactly there.

Not bad, the wires laying on the bottom of the case could probably be pulled tighter and routed in behind the 3.5" bays.

What is the grey wire running across the center of the mobo? Looks like the old school cd audio cable that plugs into your optical drive. If so it's not needed with anything newer then WinXP...the thing looks a little thin to be a USB header cable and its a bit of a weird placement for most other things.

Thanks, faugusztin has got it right, the one laying across the mobo is the front panel audio. The cable isn't long enough to do much else with it. Good point about the USB headers though, I will have to see if those can make their way around the back of the drive bays instead.

Fricken Gigabyte...how complex of a concept is it?!? :p

I could have looked into it ahead of time, slipped my mind. Looking forward to seeing updated shots, those front USB header cables and whatnot down low are an easy fix without tearing everything apart.

Did a mITX build last week.
  • Asus AT3N7A-I (Atom 330, ION)
  • 2+1GB PQI DDR2 RAM (had them at home, unused :D )
  • WD Scorpio Blue 250GB (over 240GB of that is unused due the fact, that Arch Linux + XBMC doesn't require much more)
  • 2x Noctua NF-R8 fans
  • Zalman Fanmate + one Y fan cable.
Sorry, no DVD drive, i wouldn't have use of it. Temperatures are supririsingly low - when i compiled SVN version of XBMC, the temperature of CPU was only at 51C, when both fans were running at minimum = 820RPM.

isktopopen.jpg

isksideopen.jpg

iskbackinside.jpg

It's situations like this where it's tough to say more then "good job". Obviously there's no much room for improvement when dealing with anything smaller then mATX, sort of a shame. :(

If the PSU came with the case then that is completely ridiculous, the only cables that should be long at all are things like 4pin molex connectors and/or 3pin fan connectors.

Silly Antec. :p

How does mine look? One day I will properly sleeve...

677fa81b.jpg

Specs:

-Cooler Master Storm Scout
-ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
-OCZ StealthXstream 700w
-ASUS 4870 DK 1gb
-Mushkin 4gb DDR3 1600
-Xigmatek Dark Knight

Only "mods" were a stealthed dvd burner, some added cable management holes, painted the IO shield and pci cover black, and disabled the white led's on the Xigmatek fan.

Last edited:
@ TisforTurbo

I thought I liked that case before, now I really like that case thanks to you. Nice job. How do the handles on it work out for ya? Does it make a good LAN party case? That's what I'm thinking of using it for.

Edit: Someday.

Thanks all :D

Looks very clean! Nice hardware ya got. I just bought a Dark Knight. How is it for you?
So far I am loving it. No temp measurements yet as I am still at stock speeds, but I think it will do well. Plus it is quiet and looks badass.

@ TisforTurbo

I thought I liked that case before, now I really like that case thanks to you. Nice job. How do the handles on it work out for ya? Does it make a good LAN party case? That's what I'm thinking of using it for.

Edit: Someday.
The handle has been great. I don't even do the lan thing much anymore but it has already been useful to have just moving it around the house. And if you want there are more pics here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034750895#post1034750895

The worst thing is that they made like 30-40cm long main power cable for maybe 10cm distance.

you can fix that up pretty well with a pair of needle nose pliers. half your cases space is used up by wiring. start cutting it up and taking extra wire out. then just splice it all bak together and hide the splices. if you know how to solder you can open the psu and shorten everything and re-solder them. on an itx build the psu isnt worth more than like $20 anyway, so its not that big a deal. not much you can do about sata cables though.

Beautiful wiring job. I have a few curiosities though:

1) Why is the HDD in the third slot? It's blocking the intake fan slightly, and it makes the wire for that HDD more visible.
2) Why didn't you sleeve the cables? If they had black sleeving, it'd look even better (not that it looks bad in the slightest).

Either way, terrific job.

TisforTurbo ..Outstanding job
Thanks for the kind words :)
Beautiful wiring job. I have a few curiosities though:

1) Why is the HDD in the third slot? It's blocking the intake fan slightly, and it makes the wire for that HDD more visible.
2) Why didn't you sleeve the cables? If they had black sleeving, it'd look even better (not that it looks bad in the slightest).

Either way, terrific job.

1) I originally put it there so it would get more airflow from the fan, but it doesn't get very warm so I'll probably move it, I see your point.

2) I really just wanted to get it done and play with it, but yeah eventually I want to sleeve it up properly. Im sure I'll get bored and start changing things up soon anyway.

Yeah, I just don't really have the time to do it. You think it would look alright if I just put black wire loom around the main cable cluster and electrical taped the other short pieces that are visible?

Back