Post your "rate my cables" here

mohammedtaha said:
It's soo old it came with a free scanner ? It's one of those best deals of it's time huh ?
:p

LOL.. i didn't even realise the scanner was there untill you pointed it out :)

When i think about it, i can't believe that Epox motherboard is still running!

thisisglen said:
When i think about it, i can't believe that Epox motherboard is still running!

Epox boards are good aren't they ? I hear a lot of good things about them. Especially for overclocking.

thisisglen said:
What about new wiring jobs of old hardware? :confused: Well here goes anyway!

http://members.optusnet.com.au/adamwimberley/other/O1.JPG

http://members.optusnet.com.au/adamwimberley/other/O2.jpg

This was my computer about 4 computers ago, which now lives in the the room next to the garage. Used to crank with a geforce 1! but that died so now it lives with a Banshee instead.. I guess i keep it just in case every other computer in the house doesn't work for some reason and I need to type and thesis or something ;) Anyway.. got bored, rewired it. Though there's not much to it really..

Glen
damn thats clean. good job!

as the the ATX jack is horribly placed. Also it would be better if SATA slots 1 & 2 were fully locked.

12.jpg

11.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

I could sleeve the front usb cable adapters and the power switch reset switch adapters. Thats prolly the only thing I can do to make it better. Also, I am thinking of sealing off the top little fourth where the power supply is because its useless to see that part and would improve the look. The fact that I need a 24-20 pin adapter and the fact that msi horribly place the atx header really makes it hard for me to make it neater than what it is. Overall I don't think its too bad. Plus there is something charming about imperfection.

Here are some new pictures of my case. I changed some wiring, and added a new component [PVR150 MCE], i will take some more pictures when my family [and camera] get back from vacation next week because i am getting a wireless lan card and changing usb to front instead of back [btw for anyone with a pc6x, are the front usb pins for both of the sockets on my neo2 or only for one, could i use my back addapter and the front sockets in harmony w/o having to buy a pci-usb card?] i am also going to get some new ribbon cables so i can get a new hd and make wiring a lot easier.

yea i dont know what is up with my mom's camera... there are these black stripes on the upper right and bottom left corners... odd

haha

in general i just need to make 1 cut, and zip tie up the wires in the case, behind the case, and on my desk, plus get some ribbon cables and maybe a ccfl and im all set for a while.

-Lawler

Lawler said:
[btw for anyone with a pc6x, are the front usb pins for both of the sockets on my neo2 or only for one, could i use my back addapter and the front sockets in harmony w/o having to buy a pci-usb card?] -Lawler
I dont have that case but the neo2 platinum headers are for either front or back. I have the neo2 platinum mobo. Yes you can use them in harmony lol.

LionKinG88 said:
Wow, big case :eek: but i wiring is nice... I wish I had a big case like that for my watercooling ;)
heh, that pic is from a while ago... but thanks for the compliments
smile.gif

Anyway, I wouldn't reccomend that case too highly, unless you can find it for < $100. It is extremly "un-modable", and the aluminum is thin as hell. You'd be hard pressed to find a stable mounting point for the rad.

GlobalFear said:
Lawler, your memory isn't in dual channel. :)
you think its normally that the ram has to be in the same color sockets to be in dual channel. typically thats true. however in msi neo2 platinums u have to have a stick of ram in each different color to be in dual channell. mine looks the same as lawlers and i am running dual channel.
03.jpg

yea that dual channel thing on the neo2 is such a pain because they altered the layout of the mobo to "increase cooling capacity on the memory" but then u have to put them next to each other if u want any of the benefits of socket 939. Its also a problem because i wanted to get an xp120 but it wont fit, and its awful for ide location. wish i had thought of that before i bought my first hd. Its a good mobo overall but there are some minor problems that piss me off.

-Lawler

Lawler said:
yea that dual channel thing on the neo2 is such a pain because they altered the layout of the mobo to "increase cooling capacity on the memory" but then u have to put them next to each other if u want any of the benefits of socket 939. Its also a problem because i wanted to get an xp120 but it wont fit, and its awful for ide location. wish i had thought of that before i bought my first hd. Its a good mobo overall but there are some minor problems that piss me off.

-Lawler
no you dont have to put them next to each other. you can put one in the first slot and one in the last slot, and get dual channel. so u have two slots inbetween each stick of ram. also, that is a big ass heatsink, other mobos won't let u fit it on either due to either memory or videocard.

slamgoku said:
no you dont have to put them next to each other. you can put one in the first slot and one in the last slot, and get dual channel. so u have two slots inbetween each stick of ram. also, that is a big ass heatsink, other mobos won't let u fit it on either due to either memory or videocard.

i tried that a while ago.. computer didnt post.. stuck em back in 3 and 4 and it worked........ :confused: :confused:

Lawler said:

-Lawler

not to mention in smaller cases when you slide cd rom all the way back it hits the ram.....
i like where the IDe things are placed.. not at the bottom.. jsut wish they were spread out more so you can get your hands in there

oh and the chipset fan is in the way when i try to take out my 6800 GT gotta wiggle it out until the clip slips and sounds like you have broken something

and the Cmos Reset Jumper is right under last pci slot.. which proves IMPossible to get at when you stick a card in 3rd to bottom or 2nd to bottom and bottom slot :mad: :mad:

awesome performance, horrible layout. thats why i got rid of mine and went back to the good ole' dfi lanparty nf3. sorry MSI!

yea i got mine on the sole issue of performance, i didnt even considering what a pain it would be to wire it. next mobo i get for the R520 or G70 [what ever it is now?] will be performance and ease of wiring, definetly. its a great board but the small problems are annoying.

lets see some more wiring jobs. take new pics of em if u have changed anything... this thread is turning into all talk :D [not that thats bad or anything ;) ]

-Lawler

Lawler said:
yea i got mine on the sole issue of performance, i didnt even considering what a pain it would be to wire it. next mobo i get for the R520 or G70 [what ever it is now?] will be performance and ease of wiring, definetly. its a great board but the small problems are annoying.

lets see some more wiring jobs. take new pics of em if u have changed anything... this thread is turning into all talk :D [not that thats bad or anything ;) ]

-Lawler
The ugliest car is the best if its the best performing car.

ahhhhh my camera died...guess your gonna hafta wait till i can borrow a new one for my pics....

slamgoku said:
eh recently this thread has died

What the? what makes you say that? Looks like a fair amount of posts to me..

granted some of them aren't exactly cable related (such as this)..

thisisglen said:
What the? what makes you say that? Looks like a fair amount of posts to me..

granted some of them aren't exactly cable related (such as this)..
its been like a day thats dead to me. it was very lively there for a bit.

MrSlacker said:
this thread is already 112 pages...... you call that dead?

This is page number 56 for me bro....why don't you change your forum settings so you get more posts per page....

cornelious0_0 said:
This is page number 56 for me bro....why don't you change your forum settings so you get more posts per page....

or you can decrease the number of posts/page so pages can load faster :p ;)

mohammedtaha said:
or you can decrease the number of posts/page so pages can load faster :p ;)

'fraid I dont have issues with load times though, my highspeed keeps me happy, and I'd rather have to do less clicking personally. When you think about it, each page loads faster, but you have to load each new page much more often having less posts per page, and the wait to reload the whole page as opposed to just the pictures (with a higher post per page) seems a little silly to me. ;)

Not a big deal really, now we're REALLY offtopic. :p

Ok, I tidied up the wires a bit, and actualy hid most of them...

DSCF1010.JPG

That black wire that is off to the right goes to the fan on the side of my case, and is usually hidden.

Crappy shot of the back of the case:
DSCF1013.JPG

Better Cornelious? :D

Well here is my Rig. The first pic was when I first built it. The 2nd Pic is when I planned the routing of the cables after I established that everything worked properly.

Before:
Comp1.jpg

After:
Comp2.jpg

Go to comcast.net, switch it to explore view, then on the left hand side, almost all the way down the menu thing, there is a button that says "online storage". You might have to "activate" it or something, I don't really remember. But after you do that, you can upload files and share them. You can have private and public folders.

p0stal said:
Go to comcast.net, switch it to explore view, then on the left hand side, almost all the way down the menu thing, there is a button that says "online storage". You might have to "activate" it or something, I don't really remember. But after you do that, you can upload files and share them. You can have private and public folders.
whats the max storage space they allow u to have?

slamgoku said:
whats the max storage space they allow u to have?
I'm not really sure...I know it's not all that much though, but it's unlimited bandwidth so... :D

not bad p0stal, still some stuff I'd like to see cleaned up if it was my box, but it's a really good start and a very nice wiring job thus far.

krenshin said:
Well here is my Rig. The first pic was when I first built it. The 2nd Pic is when I planned the routing of the cables after I established that everything worked properly.

After:
Comp2.jpg

well, thats lovely so far, looks a lot like my BEFORE shot too, now about your after shot, would you at all mind showing me what the other side of the case looks like with the let panel taken off? i'd love to see what ya did with the SATA.

thanks! and yea, i love seeing other v1000's wooo!

+++++ and i havent tried it but im pretty sure we CAN turn the hdd's the other way around. he should do it since he has power cable slack. myself, i cant do that with my modular supply.

thanselm said:
Go with flat cables & creative folding, as others have said. Flat IDE cables should be able to be easily routed along the back side of the V-1000.

It looks like those are 1 meter (~30") cables that you are using. That's the longest length of cable I've been able to find. (I guess they could be 24" cables, too..)

I actually found my "uber long" SATA cables in two places. One came with my SATA DVD drive, and the other I picked up at Fry's. I never actually measured the length of either of them, I just guessed that they were 30" cables. (Actually, the one I bought at Fry's may have stated "1 meter" on it's label somewhere).

I know several of the online stores sell 30" cables of various sorts (check www.performance-pcs.com, and frozencpu.com, among others).

Get some black sleeving and sleeve the cables that are connected to the motherboard fan headers. 3-pin fan cables are pretty easy to sleeve, and the black sleeving should hide them nicely against your motherboard (at least they won't be as noticable as the red/white/black stock cable.)

It looks like you've got the power cable for the intake fan running along the base of the external drive cage bay. You might consider running that up between the "cheese grater" front and the front fan mount, and then up to the inside of the drive cage, kinda like the cables in the lower-right hand corner of this photo of my case. (it's the X-Connect cable that supplies power to the lazer LED block that's mounted on the drive cage. If you look carefully, you can also see a 3-pin header poking though the hole you would use to run the fan cable up the front of the case.) Unless you're using lots of internal lights, you won't really notice a cable or two running up the front of the case.

Do you make regular use of your floppy dirve, or is it just there for BIOS flashing? If it's just there for BIOS flashes, you might consider mounting it below your hard drives. That would get it off the front of your case, and it would give you a place to run/hide the cable (get a flat cable and run it down the "back" side of the case.) You could also mount it below your hard drive and leave the data cable disconnected from the motherboard until you need it.

It also looks like there may be enough slack in the Power Switch/LED cable that you could reroute it so that it runs behind the drive cage, like I did in my case. Unfortunately, I'll need to make some extenders before I can completely hide my front panel cable. You may also be able to run that cable underneath your motherboard (between the motherboard & motherboard tray.) The same applies for the USB/Firewire/Sound cables.

whew: lots of GOOD reading, thanks man. i realised i never did reply to your postings. took a bunch of this stuff into consideration. dug thru ma boxes and all too.

DONT have the fan header adapter - will have to get one then i shall re route the front fan just as you suggested, and plug it into the 3-pin header right below the DIMM slots.

DO have a bunch of the 80 wire whatever flat IDE ribbon cables, so i guess i'll pick one and set up the optical drive with it.

DONT have any more long SATA cables. found all kinds of grey ones and other red ones from abit and msi boards. so will buy a couple 1 meter long cables (its about 36") i saw one dude in the last couple pages route them from behind the mobo up aroudn the left side and past the NB and AGP slot. i was thinking about that way but maybe my original of going towards PSU then up back of case and past 120mm fan then down beside the AGP will work well too. if you guys got any commments let me know.

also, the front panel stuff, is wired pretty well. you can see em from the angle in my pics there but you cant normally. if i do have slack however i will draw it up tighter where it all makes the corner up by the optical drive. i agree it looks too much there.
As for sleeving: i hadn't even thought of it. I would like to try, mostly on the front panel stuff and if I can, on the fans :D Only problem is: can i leave all the front panel stuff plugged INTO the front of the case and do it?

OH! And lastly i decided on aftermarket cooling: Giga-byte G-Power Cooler Pro, reviewed here.

its like the XP-90, costs more but looks to be super quiet and shall do what i worried about: mainly since i cant get WC for $200 and up and ALSO be bale to help out on my NB, then i might as well get good aircooling that will help circulate air about the area. low and behold this fan shall do it for me. easy to install and all which is nice. this means i dont have to wait on a later time to reapply the NB thermal paste. i am gonna try and get the extra cables and possibly sleeving i need and just get all that done, plus heatsink the power parts around the socket. then get the HSF when its available. me thinks.

THANKS!

EDIT: hmm looks like the fan controller for the HSF mentioned above uses a floppy slot. which would give good reason to move my floppy drive to the last remaining hdd slot in the rack below. will think about it.

el rolio said:
well, thats lovely so far, looks a lot like my BEFORE shot too, now about your after shot, would you at all mind showing me what the other side of the case looks like with the let panel taken off? i'd love to see what ya did with the SATA.

thanks! and yea, i love seeing other v1000's wooo!

+++++ and i havent tried it but im pretty sure we CAN turn the hdd's the other way around. he should do it since he has power cable slack. myself, i cant do that with my modular supply.
I'll take a pic of the other side after work today. I'll also have to try out the "reversed" hard drive thing. I'm pretty sure it'd work. BTW, My PS is modular too (Antec Neopower 480). Which one do you have?

krenshin said:
I'll also have to try out the "reversed" hard drive thing. I'm pretty sure it'd work.

It doesn't work particularly well in the V1000's.. i tried it when doing my cable job. You can't push it back far enough to mount the HDD with the front and back screws because the HDD wont fit with the cables plugged in.. so you have to use the front and middle screws. But this allows the HDD to slide about 4cm backwards and forwards, because the lock off point is that far away from the middle screw when the drive is insterted backwards..

Hard to explain, try it.. you'll see what i mean. You could try some spacers intserted between the screw and the lock off clip though to fill in that gap. So i'm not saying it can't be done..

Glen.

Actually I had the time. Probably going to be late for work, but here you go. BTW, I tried rotating the harddrives the other way, and the SATA cables and power cables will stick out beyond what the side panel will allow. Of course I may be overlooking something. I am happy with the results that I currently have nontheless.

Comp3.jpg

Back