Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

Damn, 0.752v, that is amazing. Now if only there was a way to use a "dual" offset mode to play with offset and idle/load independently.

Re: dynamic clock speeds, my CPU seems to either be at 1.6GHz or 4.5GHz, it doesn't seem to run at clock speeds in between from what I can tell. Sometimes one or two of the cores will run at 1.6GHz and others 4.5GHz, but I haven't closely watched it.

Going to play with LLC now.

Could you tell me what your C states are at (i.e. C3/C6)?

Would like some suggestions on this.
4.6ghz
1.25V
Everything else is set at auto
Thermalright TS140 in a Zalman z11 case
overclcok4.6.PNG

What do you guys think? I feel like there might be airflow issues for my case considering this chip is already hitting 92C in one of the cores at 1.25V.

Might play around with it a bit more to see if the voltage can be dropped.

Damn, 0.752v, that is amazing. Now if only there was a way to use a "dual" offset mode to play with offset and idle/load independently.

My mobo does not have 'Additional Turbo Voltage' to play with this.

Just did a suicidally unstable superpi run at 5,3Ghz on 1.6V on air...

And I managed to get sub 7!

6.973 seconds to be exact!

Quite a shame that my 1600Mhz CL9 memory kinda held back the score

Anyway, I'm NEVER doing this again, 1.6V is scary, even for ten seconds.

Gotta reinstall my operating system now, my installation is cooked :)

Hey guys, I have a problem. When I OC my ivy to 4,6 it is stable in prime95 27.7 (many hours), intel burn test is also stable. Max temperatures is 78ish C.

But! when I start a game or 3dMark my computer just freezes after a few minuters and I have to turn it off with the power button.

Any suggestions, what program do I need to run to test it more? any settings I need to play with? (Im kinda new to OCing, so any help is appreciated)
Its running now on 4,2ghz without any progblems at all (only multiplier to 42, everything else is on auto)

Its a 3570k on an Asrock extreme4 z77 board.

Hey guys, I have a problem. When I OC my ivy to 4,6 it is stable in prime95 27.7 (many hours), intel burn test is also stable. Max temperatures is 78ish C.

But! when I start a game or 3dMark my computer just freezes after a few minuters and I have to turn it off with the power button.

Any suggestions, what program do I need to run to test it more? any settings I need to play with? (Im kinda new to OCing, so any help is appreciated)
Its running now on 4,2ghz without any progblems at all (only multiplier to 42, everything else is on auto)

Its a 3570k on an Asrock extreme4 z77 board.

Doesn't sound like its processor related to be honest. Try re-installing your video drivers if that doesn't work save your settings in one of the slots in the bios, default everything and try that to see if its the overclock.

What kind of cooling? I would have been more interested in your real temp score :)

Doesn't sound like its processor related to be honest. Try re-installing your video drivers if that doesn't work save your settings in one of the slots in the bios, default everything and try that to see if its the overclock.

The videocard and everything runs perfectly fine when the computer is stock or on 4,2ghz with bios voltage, etc, settings to Auto.

What kind of cooling? I would have been more interested in your real temp score :)

Thermalright Silver Arrow

It was unstable as $$$$ though, just stable enough to tun for like 10 seconds.
And of course I didn't stress test it at 1.6V for obvious reasons :)

what do you mean by cooked?

Also, do you guys enable speedstep/turbo for everyday use?

Asking because i havent touched at these settings at all on my quest to 4.5+

Last edited:
Could you tell me what your C states are at (i.e. C3/C6)?

All my C-states are at default UEFI settings (so auto). Note that I have not actually tested sleep/hibernate (those are S3/S6 though right, C3/C6 is CPU idle?), I leave my system on at the desktop 24/7, although I might test sleep now to save more power, just need to see if it impacts SSD performance/stability on my setup first.

Played with LLC a bit this weekend. I'm now using Offset +0.035, LLC medium (25%), everything else default/auto. Previously I was using Offset +0.06 LLC auto.

This results in load voltage of 1.192V (LinX), idle 0.960V and medium (BF3/Diablo III) around 1.21V, so lower overall voltage at idle/game load than LLC auto. Will do more testing and compile final results in a new post with temperatures.

All my C-states are at default UEFI settings (so auto). Note that I have not actually tested sleep/hibernate (those are S3/S6 though right, C3/C6 is CPU idle?), I leave my system on at the desktop 24/7, although I might test sleep now to save more power, just need to see if it impacts SSD performance/stability on my setup first.

Played with LLC a bit this weekend. I'm now using Offset +0.035, LLC medium (25%), everything else default/auto. Previously I was using Offset +0.06 LLC auto.

This results in load voltage of 1.192V (LinX), idle 0.960V and medium (BF3/Diablo III) around 1.21V, so lower overall voltage at idle/game load than LLC auto. Will do more testing and compile final results in a new post with temperatures.

I run sleep mode with my system and have not had any problems thus far. I use a crucial M4 drive and I use crystal diskmark to check the speeds and I haven't noticed any performance impact on the drives through the use of sleep mode.

After applying latest BF3 patch, BF3 is crashing within 30 minutes. I did put GTX 670 at stock speeds and even at -100Mhz on core, however I was still crashing.
This might be caused by unstable CPU or RAM. I did run successfully ITB high test without any issues before.

Can someone please tell me what would be best way to test CPU and RAM?

ITB, prime95 or OCCT and what settings should I use?

I’m planning to run memtest over night to test RAM, what tests should I run and how many times?

Thanks so much…

Try IBT on maximum for 5 passes. I had unstable Ram when I was first overclocking and didn't now why I wasn't passing stress tests until I bumped the dram voltage from 1.500v to 1.525v and all problems went away and haven't returned.

Try IBT on maximum for 5 passes. I had unstable Ram when I was first overclocking and didn't now why I wasn't passing stress tests until I bumped the dram voltage from 1.500v to 1.525v and all problems went away and haven't returned.

Thanks for your feedback I'll try 5 times at max. I used ITB on high 10 passes succesfully. Also I will run memtest overnight... Something is not right...

If you guys think of something else please let me know... ;)

3570k with CM hyper 212+

Low 30's on idle and mid-high 50's under full load

Haven't OC'd yet because there is no need with the games I'm playing right now.

Turns out I was not fully stable at my previous settings (+0.035V offset, LLC medium (25%) @ 4.5GHz. I passed 5 runs of LinX (w/ AVX) on full memory usage (14.5GB), but noticed that BF3 would sometimes crash after an hour or so, although not a BSOD or hard lock, just application crash.

I downloaded the newest build of Prime95 (27.7 beta) and it BSOD'd immediately upon starting a small FFT run. Weird how LinX could be stable and Prime95 not? Oh well.

Rebooted with +0.045V/LLC Medium which results in 1.2V at 100% load and ran Prime95 overnight on small FFT, no issues on all 8 threads for 8 hours, temps in the mid 70's on cores (similar to LinX). One thing that was weird is my Windows Gadgets application crashed after 15 minutes of Prime, it has also crashed under LinX load before, I wonder if it's the CPU/RAM % gadget causing issues.

Going to run Prime95 blend and also a few hours of IBT to ensure 100% stability.

Turns out I was not fully stable at my previous settings (+0.035V offset, LLC medium (25%) @ 4.5GHz. I passed 5 runs of LinX (w/ AVX) on full memory usage (14.5GB), but noticed that BF3 would sometimes crash after an hour or so, although not a BSOD or hard lock, just application crash.

I downloaded the newest build of Prime95 (27.7 beta) and it BSOD'd immediately upon starting a small FFT run. Weird how LinX could be stable and Prime95 not? Oh well.

Rebooted with +0.045V/LLC Medium which results in 1.2V at 100% load and ran Prime95 overnight on small FFT, no issues on all 8 threads for 8 hours, temps in the mid 70's on cores (similar to LinX). One thing that was weird is my Windows Gadgets application crashed after 15 minutes of Prime, it has also crashed under LinX load before, I wonder if it's the CPU/RAM % gadget causing issues.

Going to run Prime95 blend and also a few hours of IBT to ensure 100% stability.

I see you have similar BF3 issues as I do. I'll try Prime95 small fft to see if the system willl BSOD just like yours. Also I've seen windows gadget applications crashing when I was running ITB with not enough vcore.

I updated my bios last night and i can now attain 100% stability under load with much less voltage. The problem is that when not under full load (simply browsing, doing pdf work, etc) some process crashes.

Would i need to disable CIE or give a slight bump to the offset?

I updated my bios last night and i can now attain 100% stability under load with much less voltage. The problem is that when not under full load (simply browsing, doing pdf work, etc) some process crashes.

Bump the offset a touch. What setting are you using for LLC?

Bump the offset a touch. What setting are you using for LLC?

I can run 4.4ghz with +0.060 offset, 1.65pll, everything on auto, llc @ standard (none)
4.5ghz runs with the same settings, but llc @ medium

added 0.005 to the offset and now it is fully stable on idle.

my 3770k idle @ 1.6GHz with core temperature around 40c. same like my previous 2600k. anyway my ambient temperature around 35c.

when it accelerate to 4.6GHz stressed either using prime95 or linX, it shows 85c for core temperature :D
and again, it is normal to me although that i managed to get 70c @ 4.6GHz with 2600k.

new technology should give something new. a temperature differences is the last thing i need to worry about ;)

My stock unmodded 3570K reachs 50c with prime blend, waiting new bios or mobo to make some overclock on it.

crashing while not loaded? isnt that what the LLC helps with?

my 3770k idle @ 1.6GHz with core temperature around 40c. same like my previous 2600k. anyway my ambient temperature around 35c.

when it accelerate to 4.6GHz stressed either using prime95 or linX, it shows 85c for core temperature :D
and again, it is normal to me although that i managed to get 70c @ 4.6GHz with 2600k.

new technology should give something new. a temperature differences is the last thing i need to worry about ;)

35C ambient? Where abouts do you live? I don't think I could stand sitting at my computer in those temps, let alone game or do work. I would have to lie down :).

35C ambient? Where abouts do you live? I don't think I could stand sitting at my computer in those temps, let alone game or do work. I would have to lie down :).

With the temps lately he could potentially live anywhere below Wyoming.

With a shitty AC in the southeast I agree it would be unbearable but if he is out in New Mexico or Arizona or SoCal then he probably isn't to miserable. It's a dry heat.

But that being said, I hope to god that the ambient temp he was referring to was inside the case. I wouldn't even think of what would happen to my machine if it was 35c in it's room

Anything that dumps more voltage is going to reduce life span, and the more you increase the sooner it will degrade. So yes.

The question isn't if it will reduce lifespan, because invariably it will. The question is will it reduce it to the point it actually affects you or will you have moved on by then.

35c = 95f

your pc is in a room that is 95f?

My friend was on the 23rd floor of a high rise condo in downtown Vancouver with floor to ceiling windows, facing south west. During a heat wave (outside temp 30-33C with high humidity). The ambient temperature in his home office would reach 36C during the day, partly because he had 2x Dell 24" LCDs, a Macbook Pro and a Nehalem workstation running in there. It was freaking insane. No A/C of course.

So I've had ivy for about 3 weeks now... system specs in sig. I never really visted this thread until now... maybe I have a freak 3570k chip or something?

Just used a preconfigured overclock in the bios to hit 4.4 ghz. Volts are set to auto and peak at 1.064 and temps stay under 65c (i'm watercooled)

If I try 4.5 or 4.6 prime 95 core #1 bows out and prime 95 hangs. If I put a .135 offset in place (only bringing my cpu volts to 1.19) I can do a prime 95 "blend" test for hours at 4.6 ghz, but my temps are a good 10c warmer than at 4.4 with the super low volts.. 4.4 with low volts is stable too.. i've put 30+ hours of bf3 and other games on ivy at these settings without any issues.

So I've had ivy for about 3 weeks now... system specs in sig. I never really visted this thread until now... maybe I have a freak 3570k chip or something?

Just used a preconfigured overclock in the bios to hit 4.4 ghz. Volts are set to auto and peak at 1.064 and temps stay under 65c (i'm watercooled)

If I try 4.5 or 4.6 prime 95 core #1 bows out and prime 95 hangs. If I put a .135 offset in place (only bringing my cpu volts to 1.19) I can do a prime 95 "blend" test for hours at 4.6 ghz, but my temps are a good 10c warmer than at 4.4 with the super low volts.. 4.4 with low volts is stable too.. i've put 30+ hours of bf3 and other games on ivy at these settings without any issues.

That is pretty impressive, not too many chips I've seen will do 4.4 at that low (basically stock) voltage.

You are using custom water I see? Nice setup.

I've been having issues with netflix crashing my computer lately although games are perfectly stable. As part of my troubleshooting I put everything back to stock speeds. guess what?

My games STILL run silky smooth at stock speed. Makes me question why even bother overclocking it if I'm not doing any benchmark competitions.

I love this CPU.

I've been having issues with netflix crashing my computer lately although games are perfectly stable. As part of my troubleshooting I put everything back to stock speeds. guess what?

My games STILL run silky smooth at stock speed. Makes me question why even bother overclocking it if I'm not doing any benchmark competitions.

I love this CPU.

I don't think I can even perceive any increased performance at 4.5GHz vs stock (turbo to 3.7GHz), just overclocking for the fun of it haha.

Everyone's GFlops in IBT are higher than mine, sometimes substantially.

I'm getting around 58-60 GFlops between 4.2-4.4GHz on my 3770k. I see other people with at least 86, even upwards to 120, despite using the same memory frequency as I am.

Is there something wrong with my system? (full specs in sig link, near bottom)

Wish I had actually tested and saved results out when I was on my SB platform..

Ran into my first game issue this weekend. I've been running @ 4.4ghz for the last two months with zero crashes. Then today yesterday I started playing Driver San Francisco and was getting random exe crashes, so I switched to 40x ratio and played 3hours straight with no crashes.

Everyone's GFlops in IBT are higher than mine, sometimes substantially.

I'm getting around 58-60 GFlops between 4.2-4.4GHz on my 3770k. I see other people with at least 86, even upwards to 120, despite using the same memory frequency as I am.

Is there something wrong with my system? (full specs in sig link, near bottom)

Wish I had actually tested and saved results out when I was on my SB platform..
Did you install Windows Service Pack 1? IBT needs SP1 to work correctly (higher gflops). Also, disabling hyperthreading will also increase gflops (but why would you want to do that if you have a 3770k)--that's what 3570k is for.

Did you install Windows Service Pack 1? IBT needs SP1 to work correctly (higher gflops). Also, disabling hyperthreading will also increase gflops (but why would you want to do that if you have a 3770k)--that's what 3570k is for.
So the fact that I'm using Vista instead of Windows 7 is why my GFlops are much lower? Ugh.

Even Classic Shell isn't enough for me to switch to Windows 7. I still need to find UI mods for the taskbar, control panel, personalization and a few other things I can't remember right now. Oh, and a surefire way to turn ClearType off completely. (Why Microsoft removed classic features still available in Vista and changed the UI seemingly only for the sake of change is beyond me; now they're going even further in Windows 8 by getting rid of the start menu entirely! Every company seems to be going downhill the longer they're in service.)

If all Windows 7 does is improve benchmark scores, then that's fine, as I can live with low scores. If it actually improves performance anywhere else, then damnit, I need another SSD.

Back