Post your New Ivy Bridge Processor Thermals, Type of Cooling, and First Impressions:

Thats exactly how i feel right now. The voltage is up at almost 1.3v (1.288v) when there is not a heavy load but the proc has gone to 4.7GHz from idle. I don't want to have such a high voltage especially when ivy is an unknown right now. Not sure what to do now.. I seem to get conflicting advice.

Well it appears if you're using offset, you will need some LLC to help with voltage on idle and at load. You just want to use the lowest LLC and offset you possible can.

If your cpu takes the type of voltage you listed to get to 4.7ghz, then that's what you'll have to accept unless you want to lower your overclock.

Have you tried using a negative offset with the lowest LLC and see how low you can go with the negative offset to get a stable OC?

For me I went negative .030 with LLC at 24% (this is just one level above off) and I'm able to maintain stability at 4.3. I'm sure if I just did a manual voltage of 1.2 with no LLC, I could probably get to 4.4-4.5, however I won't get the benefit of having the voltage drop at idle. On the flipside of this is, I won't have to worry about spikes in my voltage above 1.2since LLC is off.

You may need to look deep within yourself to determine what is right for you and your inner desires. Higher overclocks at the cost of heat and energy usage, or lower overclocks at the cost of speed and performance.

Honestly, 100-200mhz won't be a noticeable difference either way (more or less).

Well it appears if you're using offset, you will need some LLC to help with voltage on idle and at load. You just want to use the lowest LLC and offset you possible can.

If your cpu takes the type of voltage you listed to get to 4.7ghz, then that's what you'll have to accept unless you want to lower your overclock.

Have you tried using a negative offset with the lowest LLC and see how low you can go with the negative offset to get a stable OC?

For me I went negative .030 with LLC at 24% (this is just one level above off) and I'm able to maintain stability at 4.3. I'm sure if I just did a manual voltage of 1.2 with no LLC, I could probably get to 4.4-4.5, however I won't get the benefit of having the voltage drop at idle. On the flipside of this is, I won't have to worry about spikes in my voltage above 1.2since LLC is off.

You may need to look deep within yourself to determine what is right for you and your inner desires. Higher overclocks at the cost of heat and energy usage, or lower overclocks at the cost of speed and performance.

Honestly, 100-200mhz won't be a noticeable difference either way (more or less).

Actually I know the voltage I need because I bios overclocked first. If I am not using offset but a straight bios voltage I only need to set it to 1.225v using the second highest LLC which loads at 1.216v and my CPU is a happy camper at 4.7GHz. Unfortunately the vdroop is sooo bad using no LLC that to get a vcore at load of 1.216v equates to almost 1.29v when there is not a load. If that makes sense.. I am never good at explaining things. I have a setting saved for using offset of +0.100v and LLC of 3 (the middle setting). I will just use that one.

Whats the ideal ivy OC temperature? I have my offset +0.4 and lowest LLC (not off). I'm getting one core at mid 70s and rest under or at 70C.

Whats the ideal ivy OC temperature? I have my offset +0.4 and lowest LLC (not off). I'm getting one core at mid 70s and rest under or at 70C.

If you keep it under 85 with Intel Burn test you are probably alright for everything else and will never again even see 70.

You need to find the equilibrium. Thats the game. At a certain point you may want to apply low level LLC depending on just how much offset you need to give it otherwise. I personally will not go higher then the lowest level of LLC my board provides. The higher you go the higher the voltage spikes and the greater chance of instability during idle/light/moderate usage. The flip side is, if you don't apply any at all you might be providing more voltage than really necessary at light/moderate loads. Just gotta find that sweet spot.

Thanks to all recent posters for providing clarity on LLC and offset interaction. Ramon's post here is what I am now dialing in.

Currently I have LLC off, and offset +0.06V. This results in:
idle 0.984V
100% load (LinX) of 1.184V
moderate load (Diablo 3/BF3) 1.224-1.232V

My goal is to have the moderate load voltage come down a bit by lowering my offset and applying maybe 25% LLC to tighten the droop on heavy load to keep it stable under LinX. This should result in slightly lower temps @ moderate load and less degradation (not that I'm particularly worried about 1.22-23V).

I'll experiment with this and report back.

Playing a bit more with LLC and Offset:

I had LLC at Auto which is probably same as Regular (0%) for my MB (saw no difference in voltages) and an Offset of +40 to get stable at 4,4Ghz. Max voltage during IBT was 1.192v which is fine but max voltage during light desktop load went up to 1.232v - more than necessary imo and thats because Vdroop isn't lowering it for light load situations.

1.232v is the real voltage I set with +40 Offset and when I tried to get stable at 4,4Ghz I took Vdroop into account to get 1.192v under heavy load.

Setting LLC to Medium (25% for ASUS Z77 MB's) allowed me to drop my Offset from +40 all way down to a negative setting of -10. Heavy load voltage is still about the same due to Medium LCC compensating the Vdroop but light desktop load doesn't spike so high anymore like it did with the high Offset voltage.

I guess LLC is a neat way to get optimal idle/light/heavy load voltages.

Pretty much the exact same voltages/config as I am dealing with at 4.5GHz, thanks for this post, very helpful!

Last edited:
Thanks to all recent posters for providing clarity on LLC and offset interaction. Ramon's post here is what I am now dialing in.

Currently I have LLC off, and offset +0.06V. This results in:
idle 0.984V
100% load (LinX) of 1.184V
moderate load (Diablo 3/BF3) 1.224-1.232V

My goal is to have the moderate load voltage come down a bit by lowering my offset and applying maybe 25% LLC to tighten the droop on heavy load to keep it stable under LinX. This should result in slightly lower temps @ moderate load and less degradation (not that I'm particularly worried about 1.22-23V).

I'll experiment with this and report back.

Pretty much the exact same voltages/config as I am dealing with at 4.5GHz, thanks for this post, very helpful!

Try Intel Burntest and let me know if you're stable at those settings?

After much research, I still don't understand why or what causes the voltages in the CPU to increase so high during idle temps. Why are full load voltages higher than idle voltages? It doesn't make sense.

After much research, I still don't understand why or what causes the voltages in the CPU to increase so high during idle temps. Why are full load voltages higher than idle voltages? It doesn't make sense.

Where do you see idle voltages being higher than load? Is this on your system?

hi colonel sanders. i see you have 4.8 at 1.3v in your sig. did you do five passes of ibt on max to get your stability? you had said you would report back. let me know your temps when you do. 1.3 seems much more reasonable than 1.38v you had before. also what is your load line calibration setting for this overclock if you find it to be stable?

Hey Mav. Can you reread and clarify this post so we can help. Don't understand what you are saying in the first sentence. As for the second sentence, if you are in offest mode your voltage would increase during load because more speed is being called for from the processor. Sort of the same thing with your car as you stomp on the gas pedal you are going to use more gas.

If you are not in offset mode but setting your voltage directly in bios then I would think you should back off your LLC setting some. During load LLC will supply extra voltage to your cpu to help it maintain its voltage setting during load. Some motherboards are better than others at this and it is entirely possible that at higher LLC settings your motherboard can supply more voltage than you have set in the bios. Hope this helps.

How much temp difference between cores can there be until you should try to re apply thermal paste and re-seat your heatsink? At all times there's a 8c temp difference between my coolest core and my hottest core.
At idle i can have 29C on one core and 39C on another. (stock clocks, turbo on). That plus how hot my cores get when in Prime 95 at stock clocks and the temp difference of 10C continues, makes me wonder if i used too much thermal paste and if i reapplied less the temps would be better.

Right now, for 4.6GHZ, I'm on LLC of medium (25%) with +0.120vcore offset mode. Seem high but I have my reasons.

There's a difference between super 100.00% load (when stressing out only the cores, i.e. small fft)and less stressful 100.00% load (when stressing out IMC and memory) So my 100% load ranges from 1.272 (higher temps/more stress) to 1.296 (lower temps/less stress).

When I was in manual mode with ultra-high (75%) LLC, I only needed 1.256-1.264v @ 100% load to pass 24 hours of Prime95 Blend. I never tested for anything other than the default blend when I was tinkering with manual mode. I was thought I was safe.

But as I've said before, blend is not very accurate predictor of stability (AFIAK it hardly uses 50% of your ram).

Running small fft or any other custom modes (i.e. Blend) with 85-90% of all system ram is a lot more stressful than regular blend.

So my point is, I believe a lot people think that their OC's are stable but are only using the less stressful methods of testing to reach to their conclusions. If I was going by only default blend, I could have considered myself stable if I tweaked for 1.256-264v in offset mode. But then I would have never known what troubles could lurk around the corner unless I begin to push both the IMC (max memory) and pure CPU cores.

So, all the advices I've taken from other forum messages are true: if you want to really know your stability, it'd be best to go with something like a Blend test but set Prime95 to use 85-90% of system ram. Sure, your final temps will be a bit higher, but I think it is best to be safe than sorry.

EDIT: have a look at owcraftsman's post. It shows you how to customize blend for max stability.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1500023&mpage=1&print=true

Last edited:
BTW, offset mode is very useful for lowered temps at idle and low loads.

When I'm bouncing around 0 to 1% cpu usage, 3 of my cores were sitting at 19-21C and one was even as low as 12C.

Couldn't achieve that at all with my first gen x58 combo. It didn't even have offset mode.

PS. from my own tests, decreasing CPU PLL voltage did not produce lower temps or better stabillity/extra overclockability.

I went from the default of 1.8 to 1.6, 1.5, and even as long as 1.4. Not even at 1.4 did my core temps increased. Temps stayed at the exact same levels in all PLL settings. In fact, a low PLL of 1.5 felt less stable than a regular PLL of 1.8. None of the PLL tweaks allowed me to use a lower vcore, as some may have suspected in other forums.

So I opted to stay for 1.7. It feels stable and I did not notice an increased temperature due to this setting.

Last edited:
When I'm bouncing around 0 to 1% cpu usage, 3 of my cores were sitting at 19-21C and one was even as low as 12C.

I find it hard to believe those temps are accurate. Are you using your computer in a meat locker? What is your ambient temp?

Lowest core temps I've seen are 20c when my ambient air temp in apartment is 21c and I left the window open in the room overnight (outside air temp probably down around 10c so room temp probably got down around 15c).

You can't go lower the ambient, laws of physics and such. Check your offsets, they might be set up incorrectly.

Actually, my setup is placed not far from a bunch of open windows. And overnight temps can drop to 10C, maybe even lower, around these parts. So when I said 20C ambient, well it's not really 20C always. Sorry about that.

Need a bit of assistance. After learning to OC my AMD chip and then switching to Intel , it seems a lot more complicated, anyhow i gave it a try.

Im using CM 212+

2hgdymd.png

Only thing i did was change my multiplier to 44, and put offset to .100

Anything I should do differently?

I don't want my CPU to be running at max all the time, and i dont want the volts to be max all the time, so i did offset instead of manual.

I plan on getting a RASA kit after i sell some things....hopefully that cuts my temps by at least 15 on max....

Finally took the time to dial in a proper manual OC on my 3570K system. Now chugging along at 4.6ghz on a P8Z77V-Pro. Running a .1V offset so I can make use of the power savings when the CPU isn't busy, it sits at around 1.32v with a 1.8v PLL and medium LLC under 100% loading from AIDA64. It's about as far as I'm going to push it, temps are around high 70's using a Kuhler 920.

Not bad for a HTPC/Console Port Machine ;)

What are your temps when testing via IBT? 70s sounds too good to be true at those voltage levels. Not doubting you, just doubting how much "stress" Aida is putting it through.

What are your temps when testing via IBT? 70s sounds too good to be true at those voltage levels. Not doubting you, just doubting how much "stress" Aida is putting it through.

AIDA from what I've heard is probably the best loader around at the moment for IB's (unless you fiddle around with Lin). I did see it peak over 80 once or twice but very very rarely (maybe for a second or two), but yeah generally around the 77-79 range.

hi colonel sanders. i see you have 4.8 at 1.3v in your sig. did you do five passes of ibt on max to get your stability? you had said you would report back. let me know your temps when you do. 1.3 seems much more reasonable than 1.38v you had before. also what is your load line calibration setting for this overclock if you find it to be stable?

Hi chronicfx, sorry I never posted the results. Temps are about the same as when it was running 1.38v because I did not have LLC turned on before. Therefore it was actually running about 1.3v during stress testing because of vdroop.

Right now I have +0.100 offset and Ultra High LLC. That keeps my voltage dead on 1.30 which seems to be the absolute minimum I need at 4.8ghz for 100% stability. Even 1.28v causes Prime to crash almost instantly. Anyway, here are my temp results of 4.8ghz @ 1.30v running 5 runs of IBT Maximum stress:

Untitled-1.jpg

Hi chronicfx, sorry I never posted the results. Temps are about the same as when it was running 1.38v because I did not have LLC turned on before. Therefore it was actually running about 1.3v during stress testing because of vdroop.

Right now I have +0.100 offset and Ultra High LLC. That keeps my voltage dead on 1.30 which seems to be the absolute minimum I need at 4.8ghz for 100% stability. Even 1.28v causes Prime to crash almost instantly. Anyway, here are my temp results of 4.8ghz @ 1.30v running 5 runs of IBT Maximum stress:

Untitled-1.jpg

Ultrahigh is the second highest setting? Great overclock! I tried 4.8 like the first day I got my chip and I could get desktop working and all but it would freeze when I put a stressing load. Maybe now that I have some more experience with the chip I will give it another go for 4.8. But again just to be sure. Ultrahigh is the second highest LLC setting on your board?

Ultrahigh is the second highest setting? Great overclock! I tried 4.8 like the first day I got my chip and I could get desktop working and all but it would freeze when I put a stressing load. Maybe now that I have some more experience with the chip I will give it another go for 4.8. But again just to be sure. Ultrahigh is the second highest LLC setting on your board?

Yeah, second highest setting (Extreme is the highest.)

Thanks Colonel I will give it a shot. Just for a rough idea when you use cpu-z to see your voltage, what is your light load voltage. Try to see that for me. You can see that if you play a game and use "alt-tab" while your processor is still "clocked-up" to 4.8 but there is not much load and tell me your voltage.

Thanks Colonel I will give it a shot. Just for a rough idea when you use cpu-z to see your voltage, what is your light load voltage. Try to see that for me. You can see that if you play a game and use "alt-tab" while your processor is still "clocked-up" to 4.8 but there is not much load and tell me your voltage.

It's 1.30 under light load too. I actually tried to get the heavy load voltage to match the light load voltage just as a way to ensure total stability when gaming and stuff (since I know 1.30 cuts the mustard for stress testing.) I guess I could lower the offset a bit and use Extreme LLC which might give me a hair lower voltage when gaming, but I'm really happy with how it's running right now. The most stressing games I've found (that I have installed anyway) are SWToR and Flight Sim X, and on those I never see more than 65c - 70c (70 is with highish ambient temps in the room and the H100 set to silent and case fans set to lowest) so I'm good with that.

I think you are good if its staying like that. I had mine on LLC extreme for a while but everyone scaring me talking of these voltage spikes. I tried googling any evidence of peoples chip being killed by LLC but there doesn't seem to be cases of it that I can find. Not sure what the big deal is if it never killed a chip. Time will tell I guess, I am going to bump mine up to the second setting and try 4.8 but not today, I am ultra busy starting in an hour.

I think you are good if its staying like that. I had mine on LLC extreme for a while but everyone scaring me talking of these voltage spikes. I tried googling any evidence of peoples chip being killed by LLC but there doesn't seem to be cases of it that I can find. Not sure what the big deal is if it never killed a chip. Time will tell I guess, I am going to bump mine up to the second setting and try 4.8 but not today, I am ultra busy starting in an hour.

Cool, let us know how it turns out!

Right now, for 4.6GHZ, I'm on LLC of medium (25%) with +0.120vcore offset mode. Seem high but I have my reasons.

There's a difference between super 100.00% load (when stressing out only the cores, i.e. small fft)and less stressful 100.00% load (when stressing out IMC and memory) So my 100% load ranges from 1.272 (higher temps/more stress) to 1.296 (lower temps/less stress).

Interesting to see this approach. I'm testing it myself, and it seems to give the best stability I've had so far.

Well tried upping the volts to get 4.8GHz. Can get into the desktop all the way from 1.28v but can't get through a cinebench run (thats my initial because its fast enough and can usually tell before I use prime or IBT) at 1.33v.. should i keep going or is that just too high for 24/7

Well tried upping the volts to get 4.8GHz. Can get into the desktop all the way from 1.28v but can't get through a cinebench run (thats my initial because its fast enough and can usually tell before I use prime or IBT) at 1.33v.. should i keep going or is that just too high for 24/7

IMO once you go above 1.30v under heavy load your temps are just going to be way too hot. What are some of your other settings for voltage in bios, like PLL etc?

Is it normal for the Ivy to dynamically change clockspeeds depending on load? Like 50% load, i.e., will be at 3.5Ghz, etc etc.

I'm very used to manual overclocking, so in the past I've never dealt with anything other than a solid single clockspeed (my overclocked speed) in all loading conditions.

Is it normal for the Ivy to dynamically change clockspeeds depending on load? Like 50% load, i.e., will be at 3.5Ghz, etc etc.

I'm very used to manual overclocking, so in the past I've never dealt with anything other than a solid single clockspeed (my overclocked speed) in all loading conditions.

At stock settings, the cpu speed will be anywhere from 1600-3900 depending on the load of the cpu. Just one of the many ways to keep your chip cool and power efficient

Minimum voltage for my Ivy.

boffset.jpg

offset.png

All other bios settings at defaults.

Minimum voltage for my Ivy.

All other bios settings at defaults.

Damn, 0.752v, that is amazing. Now if only there was a way to use a "dual" offset mode to play with offset and idle/load independently.

Re: dynamic clock speeds, my CPU seems to either be at 1.6GHz or 4.5GHz, it doesn't seem to run at clock speeds in between from what I can tell. Sometimes one or two of the cores will run at 1.6GHz and others 4.5GHz, but I haven't closely watched it.

Going to play with LLC now.

Back