Post your Linux Programs

el_jackhole said:
It must be lovely in the parallel universe where you mod these forums. At least the user database must be small and tidy. The banned IP list, on the other hand...

Really, it would have been better to point him to GNUCash ( at http://www.gnucash.org/ ) or one of the others than to keep this up.

Try searching for linux accounting on Google sometime. Sure, I know google; I can find what I want. But for people who don't realize what search terms they need, they're going to get pages full of advertisements for corporate level accounting software to be run over terminals.

As far as GUI'ed money apps on linux, you have the above mentioned GNUCash, Moneydance (at http://moneydance.com/ ), and a few others.

m1abram said:
Well calendar and contacts are not mail systems. One thing that linux and most *nix do is seperate out program tasks usually. This means that you do not see too many "exchange" type programs that do everything. This idea has its good points and its bad. The good part is the program is meant to do one thing very well, however the bad part is getting a collection of programs to do a bunch of things in unison can sometimes be a bit harder to accomplish.

If you want a good email server, with virus and spam filtering on server side that is easy with linux. If you want a corporate style directory system, OpenLDAP will work fairly well. I have not done a whole lot with full groupware systems, which is what you are looking for. However there are a few types of systems for linux in development. PHPgroupware is one that I can think of now. I however have not really used it much so can not comment on it. Do a search for groupware, should get you started in the right direction.

If someone hasn't already, it would be fun to write a gnome 2.6-based app for reading LDAP records. *Starts getting ideas... hmmm...* Hopefully, it would also support SSL for encrypting the LDAP calls... (hard to do from what I've read.)

[H]EMI_426 said:
Under FreeBSD I use irssi or BitchX for an IRC client, depending on which network I'm on. I run WindowMaker for a window manager, vim for my editor, mplayer if I feel like watching anything, xmms if I want to listen to anything, Thunderbird if I need a GUI mail client and mutt when I don't...I use Firebird/Firefox or sometimes the full-blown Mozilla for a web browser.

I used to run KDE, but it just didn't do anything for me.

For document-creation I use TeX (I used to do TeX for a living so it's easy for me) coupled with dvips or a version of TeX that outputs directly to PDF (even though I despise PDF). If I need anything Office-like I just use OpenOffice.

On the server side I use samba at home for sharing files, as well as FreeBSD's built-in NFS server for sharing files to other *nix machines. I'm looking in to using LDAP for account synchronization across my herd of *nix machines at home.

For my domain I run apache+mod_ssl, sendmail (SMTP AUTH and STARTTLS required for non-local users), imap-uw (POP3S and IMAPS required for non-local users), bind8 (thinking about switching to bind9, but that'll happen when bind9 gets imported in to FreeBSD's base system), MySQL and various other things. Procmail is kicking around and is sendmail's default LDA in case anyone wants to use it.

Games...I used to run a fairly high-traffic Unreal Tournament server on a FreeBSD box (constant load of 20 or more players for several months). I still run the office Quake II server (using Quake2LNX) on a FreeBSD box and I actually play some games under FreeBSD...WINE works just fine for the Windows-only bits and most games built for Linux will work under FreeBSD. The stuff I have the source to (Quake II) I just build and run natively.

blackedge: what's the big deal about building from scratch? My FreeBSD world gets built "from scratch" every time I do a buildworld/buildkernl.

Too bad the thread topic is "post your Linux programs;" maybe I shouldn't post.

Not that my opinion counts for much, but I don't really care if anyone who knows more than the average NT admin posts in the thread. Personally, I think *nix of any kind is [H]ard.

This is the one started by Fraggster. When the boards were pruned several months back, all the posts made before 2004 were wiped out, which is why you don't see the earlier posts.

Anyways, new programs I've been using since last:
Mono Develop
Eclipse 3.0
sciTE
Bluefish

gtodo - a to-do list program
Mozilla Sunbird - a calendar program from Mozilla
Grip - cd ripper

And moved to the 2.6.8.1 kernel.

gkrellm for monitoring system
liquid weather for 5 day forecast
xmms/amaroK for mp3/ogg
mplayer for video
gtk-gnutella for p2p
gimp 2.0 for graphics
kde/enlightenment for windows manager
mozilla for browsing
evolution for email

I see one of my favorite apps missing in that list..

Kbear ftp client. The best linux based ftp client I've used.

Definatly Gaim for IM (yahoo, icq, aim, etc)

-scoob8000

I use kate on four different FreeBSD installs and in windows (kde/cygwin). Nice little editor, and fish:// for editing files over ssh is perfect for what I'm doing. Syntax highlighting for everything I've written so far, as well, and the integrated shell is nice for compiling/testing C- and java- programs.

hmmm lesseee..

Xserver -- Xorg
Window manager -- KDE 3.3
mp3's -- Xmms
videos -- Xine
browser -- Mozilla Firefox
cd burning -- K3B
email (before switching to gmail) -- Evolution
soulseek client -- Nicotine

And some other stuff..

Programs I use pretty heavily...

gnome-terminal
xmms
mplayer
firefox
cdrecord
catalyst
evolution
xchat
gaim
screen
nagios
snmpget
apache
sendmail
postfix
mailman
openldap
nessus
nmap

I think that covers the ones I use daily. ;)

Does anybody use an anti-virus prog, cause i was going to ask if anybody has used a good one but looks like nobody uses one. Cause for now im using bit defender i think it is, its a good konsole anti-virus prog but i was hoping to get one with a gui maybe.

Linux doesn't need an antivirus yet(as it gains popularity, it may), unless you're running a mail server for Windows boxes.

Anyways what I use:
Web Browser: Firefox most of the time, Konqueror for lieing to pages that 'need' IE.
MP3/steaming player: XMMS
Video of virtually any format: MPlayer (KMplayer GUI)
DVD and CD burning: K3B

Play a fair bit of UT2004 too.

I use whichever terminal window is in Suse 9.2, SSH2, and VI. Some Nedit and X programs for our Redhat boxes (where the command line utils don't work so hot). That and a slew of mediocre shell scripts I've written and ones my co-workers have written.

I'd like to try the new Nero Linux version, but my old as hell work machine doesn't have a CD-RW drive.

(no extra box @ home for a linux machine yet)

Cedega for games (anyone know if cedega will work with programs)
Kopete for chat
Urpmi pkg management

locutus24 said:
Cedega for games (anyone know if cedega will work with programs)
For some yes. Games are programs any ways, so as long as you have the nessacary libraries for the program to run, it should work.

Well i couldnt get wine to work with some progs, so i had previously bought cedega for cs and other games. Thought i would try those on cedega, but ill look more into

Amarok - excellent fully featured music player that excels with huge music collections. instantly replaced xmms as my player due to its database, album covers, playlist manipulation and tons of bells & whistles

considering only the things i added, since linux comes so nicely equipped to begin with ... :)

staroffice, apache/php/perl/postgres, audacity, docker and wmclock for wmaker, gaim, glabels, mediawiki, mozilla, mplayer, swaret, and xcdroast.

arkaine said:
Phantum said:
How about a good proxy program?
do a google on squid..

Sorry, I just had to point this out. Squid is NOT a "good proxy program." Squid is a good HTTP proxy program. What's the difference? Squid is great if you want to cache some of that junk browsers end up reloading every time that they don't really need to be and save yourself some bandwidth. It's NOT a general purpose proxy. Not even a good general purpose HTTP proxy, though it probably could be used for that (might have occasional troubles since it's meant mainly for webpages if you wanted to do something complicated that uses an HTTP proxy.)

I don't mean to be rude. And, in fact, the truth is, I don't know what you should use as a proxy. This is because you can use iptables to make it act as a nat and you won't so much need it to act like a plain old proxy. That's always been good enough for my minor proxy-ish needs.

That said, in the spirit of this thread, I must admit I am running two commercial softwares, Cedega and Opera, in whatever Linux I use. It's getting tough to think up anything else people haven't already mentioned, but, one kind of worth mentioning thing is "links." It's a lot like lynx in that it works in the console and all, but, it actually can be compiled to support a graphical mode which still runs in the console. Mind you, it will never be like a true graphical browser, but, it at least lets you get rid of the worst of the problems associated with running lynx while still leaving you with a browser you don't have to start up X for.

Kontact is worth looking into if you need a calendar.

got rh9 running my samba server, just store little stuff over there, getting ready to redo it though. got it running one 18 gig scsi drive right now, gonna add another one and a hard drive for the os and raid the two 18's. don't really need any kind of raid, but what the hell, you got the stuff or an get it really cheap, why not do it?

Brandon

bmdean said:
got rh9 running my samba server, just store little stuff over there, getting ready to redo it though. got it running one 18 gig scsi drive right now, gonna add another one and a hard drive for the os and raid the two 18's. don't really need any kind of raid, but what the hell, you got the stuff or an get it really cheap, why not do it?

Brandon

Reliability issues, mainly. :)

HHunt said:
Reliability issues, mainly. :)

no, i don't have any reliablity issues, it just sits there and "serves" my files that i kept over there, i tried to get a cd image server working, but couldn't so i just said forget it. probably gonna dedicate it to only music.

Brandon

it'll be fun to get it going anyway. although as a file server the single drive is probably more than enough to max a 100mbit ethernet line, i'd at least get a gigabit ethernet setup going if you haven't already so you could reap the benefits.

bmdean said:
no, i don't have any reliablity issues, it just sits there and "serves" my files that i kept over there, i tried to get a cd image server working, but couldn't so i just said forget it. probably gonna dedicate it to only music.

Brandon

I was thinking more about how a non-redundant RAID means that you'll lose all the data if just one drive dies.

Window Manager - Kde
Mp3 - Noatun
Cd Burning - K3B
Instant Messenger Client - Gaim
P2P - Limewire
Command Line - Konsole
Package Manager - Synaptic
Movies - Xine
One of my favorite programs is Kompose

So, would you consider IPcop a program? I use it on a Neoware thinclient. Runs very well.
Was a pain to get working with the thin client hardware. But, it was definitly worth it.

At work I have also used Nagios to monitor my systems. That's another one that was a pain to get configured, but was worth it in the end.

does anyone know of a good java compiler like eclipse for 64 bit. i use gentoo.

kethwika said:
does anyone know of a good java compiler like eclipse for 64 bit. i use gentoo.
Eclipse isn't a compiler, it's an IDE. It uses the JDK you have installed.
Sun has JDK + netbeans - downloads for AMD64, so it's available. Have you checked portage?
(If it's not there, go here.)

I don't know about eclipse, but it ought to work. (Write once, run everywhere; Right?)

Thought I'd thow out a couple more: Apache, PHP, MySQL (LAMP anyone), phpMyAdmin, Nano, PHPNuke (not really Linux per say, but open source is nice)

arm yourselves

http://directory.fsf.org/

PLEASE look at this page - it's the FSF Free Software DIrectory (by GNU.org) - 4,423 free programs - all secure and evaluated to do their jobs (a lot of weird programs but a lot of very great day to days as well)

Muine, Banshee, Amarok - MP3 player
Pan - newsreader
Bittornado, linuxdcpp, aMule - P2P programs
Thunderbird, Evolution - email
gaim - IM
mplayer, xine - movies
Comix - comic book reader
xgl/compiz - xserver/window manager....pretty much the only reason i'm using linux now

using ubuntu dapper btw

Back