*POST* your i7 setup specks

MB: Intel DX58SO
CPU: i7 920 @ 4.2ghz @ 1.25v HT Off, 71* LINX, 62* P95, 24c ambient 4.61ghz MAX @ 21x219
RAM: OCZ Gold 1600mhz cas8
Cooling: D5, Swiftech GTZ, Swiftech 120.3 w/ 3 low speed yates

Last edited:
1.48v ??? Seriously?

Do you have a C0 i7? My D0 only needs 1.318v for 4GHz. I think your temps are super high because of the high volts.

And I only need 1.208v @ 4ghz (200x20) with my D0 on an Intel board. Whats your point? All chips and motherboard react differently. Some arent as good as others. I had an e8400 that I ran for 6 months @ 1.53v @ 4.3ghz without a hitch, temps were only 69c on water as well.

i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz 1.328v HT on (Max 4.4ghz @ 1.48v)
Foxconn Bloodrage GTI
Mushkin Redlines 1600MHz 6-7-6-18-1T @ 1.65v
SLI XFX GTX 260 Black Edition

Air cooled with a Prolimatech Mega Shadow, Scythe Slipstream 1900rpm push/pull config

Last edited:
EVGA E758 SLI
i7 920 D0 @ 4010mhz (1.25v, still testing, only tried one overclock so far)
6GB OCZ gold @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (still testing)
Swiftect XT, Koolance NB/SB block.
2xMCR320 rads, 1x220mm slim rad
Laing D4 (crap, going to replace)
MiniRes

Idle = ~35
Max temps prime95 blend = 49C
Max temps prime95 Small FFT = 59C

New pump should improve things a bit. All crammed into an unmodded Antec 1200.

i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz @ 1.28V
Asus Rampage II Gene
6GB Corsair Dominator @ 1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.64V

Watercooled---Watercool HK 3.0 cpu block, Swiftech NB block, DDC2 pump w/XSPC top, Thermochill 120.3 rad

Idle temp----34C

Load Temp--56C (OCCT-LinX)

CPU: i7-920
MB: Asus P6T Deluxe
RAM: 6 GB Mushkin Cas 6

-----------------
Your OC settings: i7 [email protected] 1.3 Volts; rock solid stable
cooling: Cooler Master v8
temps:
idle: 50 degrees celcius
full load (folding@home): 85-95 degrees celcius depending on the A/C....Yes, it runs hot; but its 100% stable, personally I don't care if it boils water as long as it's stable :p

-----------------
Why you chose the setup you did
(why you liked your mb and etc)

I needed a new processor and the i7 seemed to deliver...Also, I've been a long time fan of Asus motherboards, and am familiar with their overclocking setups- so I decided to go with the P6T Deluxe

^ My setup is really close to yours and I'm definitely seeing significantly lower temps (30-75 degrees)than you are for 3.8 gHz (not much slower). Have you tried turning the voltage down a little or using a different kind of thermal paste? I agree that stability is the real key, but you might be able to get those temps down a little without losing any performance/stability. You might be able to run 3.93 @ 1.265 volts.
You might also check the seating on your V8. I tightened mine up a bit and saw a 5-10 degree shift all of the time.

^ My setup is really close to yours and I'm definitely seeing significantly lower temps (30-75 degrees)than you are for 3.8 gHz (not much slower). Have you tried turning the voltage down a little or using a different kind of thermal paste? I agree that stability is the real key, but you might be able to get those temps down a little without losing any performance/stability. You might be able to run 3.93 @ 1.265 volts.
You might also check the seating on your V8. I tightened mine up a bit and saw a 5-10 degree shift all of the time.

I've reseated it a few times, and am using arctic silver...the temps seem high to me as well. I noticed that when I turn the fan on high on the V8 it begins to almost wobble a little bit, so I don't turn the fan on it past 50%...Maybe that has caused the heat sink to loosen contact.

No matter what I put the voltage at I can't seem to get this particular i7 stable at or above 4 Ghz without hitting the throttle limit...Maybe I'll give it another shot this weekend...I'll attempt to lower the voltage and see what happens- though I've done this in the past and have gotten random system restarts...Thank you for the advice.

No worries - I guess every processor is different. I have my CPU fan on max pretty much all of the time and my case is at least pretty clutter-free...I'm sure that helps, too. It's tucked behind my TV, so I couldn't hear it even it it was loud.
For a thermal compound, I picked up some Thermaltake TG-1 at Microcenter. It's not as good as the uber high-end ones, but it was the best thing they had on the shelf. That knocked my temps down about 10% from the Coolermaster compound that came with the V8.
If it doesn't want to coorperate, I guess I wouldn't worry as long as you're stable. Supposedly the i7's are funcational at up to 97 degrees for something like 4 years, so you're still going to be okay.
The only reason I brought it up is because I literally had the same temps you do but getting that thermal compound and tightening my V8 really helped a ton.
I'm running at 1.25V and 3.6ghz + turbo (3.78).

Have parts for an i7 build(hackintosh + Win7) on the way:
i7 920
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R mobo
6GB OCZ DDR3(may go up to 12 within a couple months)
XFX ati 4870 1GB
2 1TB Seagate Barricuda hard drives (one for each OS)

I have 1 dell 2209WA and have another one being shipped right now for the new setup as well.
Next item will be surround sound setup.

coming from the 3 year old macbook pro in my sig, it should be quite the upgrade.

Intel i7 920 D0 Stepping
CoolerMaster V8
EVGA Classified X58 760
OCZ Gold 12 GB DDR3 1600
3x30GB OCZ Vertex SSD
2x4890 XFX CrossFire
LG Blueray/HDDVD
Hanspree HF289H 28" 3ms
Corsair 850XT
CoolerMaster HAF Case

Back