Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jodiuh said:
Ooooh! Now I miss my shuffle/px200's!! Hey do you need a case for that shuffle? I ordered one from powersupport and have no use for it.

iposshuffle7wh.jpg

It looks so much better. :)

THANKS!!!!!

I just received my amp from MrX a few weeks ago, which is a replica of the one he posted pictures of with the blue leds on front. It is paired with a set of HD650's and the quality is just retarded. I've never heard such craziness. Playing high quality classical music, you just get lost. :eek:

P.S. Don't worry about the mixed up output X, small problem considering how amazing this amp is. I full recommend MrX's services, as I am a complete novice but he delivered with a killer amp. I'll work on getting pics up of it.

FLECOM said:
you preorder your 701's yet?

im #2 in line over at headroom IIRC i cant wait, preordered the day they announced it with overnight shipping... im drooling with excitement... i dont think they will dethrone my K1000's but they are at least a bit more portable perhaps? hehe...

I ordered the K701's yesterday, got a nice deal on them. I was about to bite the bullet on the RS-1's too!

tigger1612 said:
I just received my amp from MrX a few weeks ago...and the quality is just retarded. :eek:

Bummer, I'm almost ready to trade in my cmoy. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere if I don't want retarded quality :(

Jodiuh said:
Bummer, I'm almost ready to trade in my cmoy. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere if I don't want retarded quality :(

I assumed that it was a slang for awesome.. or something like that. confusing choice of words though to describe sound.. (craziness, retarded, etc) hehe

Haah, yeah I just couldn't resist mutilating the statement :D Just got back from the Apple Store in Chandler AZ. Must say, some interesting stuff in there...$2,000 for a pc that can't play F.E.A.R.? I did find one treasure tho! The Incase Neoprene Sleeve for the Nano's relieved me of being called "Condom Nano Man" from my bro! Thank heavens!

The wheel's MUCH easier to scroll again.

06bf616d.jpg

ab5ae14b.jpg

1fe2d9af.jpg

71e8fff6.jpg

Here's my little rig... took the pic with my phone, sorry for the sucky quality.

1107051735a.jpg

Is that a 27i or a 26p? I bought the 26p and they were an absolute travesty, especially from a 'name' like AKG. I really like the look and the size though, so I was wondering if the 27i was (it would have to be significantly) better?

K26-Ps
And I kind of like them thanks very much.

Should we just call you Bangraman from now on? :rolleyes:

Yay! New cans + amp! Grado RS-1 + RA-1 clone amp (built with the exact same parts as a real RA-1).

pb1300451qh.jpg

more pics:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1475/pb1300446jj.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9/picture1911yv.jpg

I bought them used, and they are fully burned in with over 400 hours. I am using them with bowl pads, and with my own special silk driver covers (they reduce brightness and balance things out nicely). So far, I prefer the RS-1 out of my PPA. The RA-1 clone doesn't come close to the PPA with the RS-1, which is weird since I seem to prefer Grados out of Cmoy derivatives... Compared to the Senn HD-580/600/650, the RS-1 is definately brighter, but the bass is more controlled. The midrange is why I bought this can in the first place, the Sennheiser midrange just doesn't cut it with female vocals and woodwinds IMO. Listening to a clarinet through the RS-1 is just heavenly... These also shine with older rock music such as Rush, Pink Floyd, Zappa, etc. I do believe these are a keeper :)

*opinions were made while using two low end sources (AV710 & 2nd gen Dell DJ) while I wait for my 1212m to arrive.

Speaking of which.... what was the point?
The better question is.... are we planning on modding the 1212M? :p

These also shine with older rock music such as Rush, Pink Floyd, Zappa, etc. I do believe these are a keeper :)

Don't tempt me like that... ;)

Mister X said:
Speaking of which.... what was the point?
The better question is.... are we planning on modding the 1212M? :p
I'm definately planning on it, but I'm gonna stay away from the brighter opamps this time :D The reason I upgraded is because of all the people @ Head-Fi saying it was more neutral than an 0404, and I was able to upgrade for only $5. Should be arriving Tuesday :)

Nope, it was built by Todd R @ Head-Fi. He did an awesome job with the woodwork! But there is a problem with sheilding... Gonna line the interior with copper if I decided to keep it.

Guts pic: http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/9325/pb1301101jp.jpg

Anyone know if it would it be safe to run it with a OPA637?

**edit: Wow, just noticed something really weird with the RS-1. The into to Josh Ritter - Snow is Gone sounds like its coming from 10ft in front of me. I swapped over to the 580, and it just didnt have the same expansive feel :confused: These are some weird cans :p

Anyone know if it would it be safe to run it with a OPA637?

The better question is:

How well will a single channel opamp work in place of a dual channel opamp? :p

Then the follow up question is:

If I stick a opamp that is not unity gain stable in that amp how long will it take to fry your RA-1's?

The most important things you need to know before you even begin rolling opamps is the type (Jfet, CMOS, Bipolar, etc), the number of channels (single or dual channel) and the gain of the amp.
Once you got that part figured out you also need to know how to measure the DC offset of the amplifier.... that way you know that you can SAFELY connect your headphones into said amp.
Frying a pair of $600 headphones because you connected them to an amp that has the wrong opamp in it will ruin your day in a hurry. ;)

Mister X said:
How well will a single channel opamp work in place of a dual channel opamp? :p
Doh! :p Didnt think about that. Guess I'm still a newb. :(

You know a good place online where I can read up on the differences?

You could start with the old stand by
(op amps for everyone) but it gets real deep real fast so it would prolly be easier for you to just google the numbers on the chip and read the datatsheet. ;)

got my K701's today... mandatory pics follow... all images are *clickable* for larger version...

*yay* for overnight shipping :)

box in a box

box out of box

ooo im excited

*glee* cant wait...

*angels singing*

last pics are since a lot of people commented that the 701's were made for iPod owners... ;)

they actually sound quite acceptable out of the iPod, but they sound freaken amazing hooked to my dynalo...

I was waiting for you to post those :) Care to give us some initial impressions?

well, im not a headphone reviewer by any stretch of the imagination...

but here goes...

first thing i listen for is detail, the K701's definately deliver, incredibly clear mids and highs that AKG is so good at, its not *quite* K1000 detail levels, but still extremely impressive since the bass is definately there, much more present than the K1000's or K501's...

id almost dare say these headphones are K501 meet HD650... ;)

they are as comfy as any other C pad, cable is nice, they seem not terribly difficult to drive... they sound quite nice out of my iPod, of course i have to turn the iPod *almost* all the way to max before i get an acceptable listening level for a fairly quiet room...

out of my PIMETA they sound fairly decent, not terribly exciting... when i finished up my Dynalo yesterday... wow, i was blown away, these things are amazing and the K701+dynalo seems to be a great combination... i cant wait to finish my dynamite :cool:

i will get to try it with more amps this weekend at the Tampa FL head-fi meet and hopefully more competent people can post their impressions also ;)

Not a fan of the white, but I gotta admit, it looks like it was meant to be shown with an ipod. Thanks for the pics flecom. :)

Mister X said:
Ewww.... to much white is right.

well, the color of the headphone dosent affect the sound last time i cheked ;)

and when your wearing them, you cant see the color anyway :p

and they are to be worn no? :D

They look good!

How does the head band feel after exteded periods?

I wish I had some spare time to demo them.

you know what a pain it is to take a picture of yourself with an SLR?

anyhow, there you go :p

DPP_0098_filtered.jpg

towert7 said:
They look good!

How does the head band feel after exteded periods?

I wish I had some spare time to demo them.

actually at first they felt odd, but thats to be expected with full size headphones... after a few hours of wearing them i hardly notice them there... they clamp a bit right now but i have a rather large head and they are new so again, that should get better over time... they are very comfy tho...

Not so bad afterall....

What is the story with the jack?
No screw on adapter like the K501s?

Nice camera btw. ;)

Mister X said:
Not so bad afterall....

What is the story with the jack?
No screw on adapter like the K501s?

Nice camera btw. ;)

regular 1/4" jack, no screw on :(

it comes with that mega-huge 1/4" 1/8" gold adapter... perfect for snapping off those fragile pcb mount 1/8" jacks :rolleyes:

thanks! thats my other cash black-hole... :eek:

it comes with that mega-huge 1/4" 1/8" gold adapter... perfect for snapping off those fragile pcb mount 1/8" jacks :rolleyes:

Roger that
I can see that adapter making very short work of the jack on the Ipod.

Edit:
Errrrr the K601 has the same jack.... :(
The jack on the K501 was one of the best implementations of a 1/4" adapter I have ever seen.
What are they thinking?

Thanks for the pics and stuff..... you put me Back on the fence about the K701s damnit. :p

Mister X said:
Roger that
I can see that adapter making very short work of the jack on the Ipod.

Edit:
Errrrr the K601 has the same jack.... :(
The jack on the K501 was one of the best implementations of a 1/4" adapter I have ever seen.
What are they thinking?

Thanks for the pics and stuff..... you put me Back on the fence about the K701s damnit. :p

ya i definately dont plan on using that adapter...

if the 501's have the 1/8" connector that you screw on the 1/4" adapter i agree! thats an EXCELLENT design! my other AKG, BeyerDynamics, and heck even a pair of my Sony's use the same connector and its great, i dont know what they were thinking not using such a great connector :(

i would have REALLY loved that connector on my HF-1's also but oh well :confused:

Hey, Frank. How do you like them compared to the K1000's? Is the extra bass enough to whoo you from the K1000's, or are you more of a detail nut?

Although the gloss white looks nice by itself it just looks plain goofy when worn. Just reminds me of 70's headphones for some reason. :p

-Ed

Edwood said:
Hey, Frank. How do you like them compared to the K1000's?

Although the gloss white looks nice by itself it just looks plain goofy when worn. Just reminds me of 70's headphones for some reason.

-Ed

they are different really, thats the only way i can describe it... the K1000's are still more detailed and the soundstage is something that just cant be reproduced without having the K1000's goofy design...

that said, they have excellent low bass, strong but not overwhelming like DT770/DT990's for example...

the midbass can become distorted if you listen to something with excessive low bass (and i mean excessive)... the mids and highs are excellent... the highs arnt as "in your face" as the K501's or as detailed/clear as the K1000's, maybe a little weaker than i would like... but they are definately there and sound great...

are the K701's replacing my K1000's? no, my K1000's are still king as far as im concerned... are the K701's an excellent headphone that i will be using quite often? definately...

biggest complaint? now i have another headphone that i have to put into the "which headphone am i in the mood for tonight" question ;)

the white is, ya, pretty lame i agree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back