Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the Sennheiser HD201's. A good bargain at around 20-25 bucks.

5_24438067A5.jpg

Here's a link to the original picture (1600x1200):
http://www.animeyume.org/userfiles/5_7704EFC7D3.jpg

Pic of mine taken with new camera. Trying to decide whether or not to build a dynahi and leave the ppa. Love the ppa though

IMG_0131.jpg

Pinipig523 said:
Based on what?
What you read or what you heard with your own ears?

Don't get me wrong I am not saying a PPA is even in the same league as a Dynahi but there are other things to consider when we start talking about the effort that goes into building one. ;)

Here is a linked version of the audio setup listed in my signature...

eastsound cd-e5 cd player ▪ dimarzio m-path interconnects ▪ veda audio dynahi amplifier ▪ akg k340 electrostat-dynamic headphones modded by headphile and recabled in blacksilver

Here are some pictures of it [click on the smaller pictures for larger versions]:

The stand is the 'ETKG Spirit Level Stand' which I got when I ordered my CD player from Cattylink Analog Research, but everyone calls it the Spider Rack. It is a great deal considering it only costs $100USD, but the shipping from China is prohibitive, so it is only worth your while if you are buying multiple items. I may at some point get one of those nice Ahanix Home Theater PC cases and make myself a computer based source to stick in the rack as well since I am not really using the top 'shelf' right now. :cool:

I'm also trying to build a speaker rig for my computer... I've got the Chaintech AV710 set up to use the Wolfson 2-channel DAC, a Sonic Impact T-Amp [with a pyramid gold PSU] that I plan on modifying in the near future and a pair of Polk Audio RTi4's. I just recieved the speaker stands that I will be using, but they need some work, and I am still waiting on my speaker cable... but it should be all set up in a week or so. :)

philodox, that's a cute fat cat you got there ^_^. (I like cats)

Anyway, just out of curiosity, about how much did that little setup set you back in terms of $$$?

My guess is 1700$, lets see if im close ^_^.

towert7 said:
philodox, that's a cute fat cat you got there.
Thanks, he is pretty cool... kind of has a dog personality. I've got two others as well. :)
towert7 said:
Anyway, just out of curiosity, about how much did that little setup set you back in terms of $$$?
I assume you mean without the chair?

The rack and CD player were $940 shipped, the amplifier was $720 shipped, the interconnects were $80 shipped and the headphones cost me $120 and I have had $200 worth of mods/recabling done to them. My ONEAC power conditioner [visible in the 'Office V' picture in the corner of the room] I got for $20 and I've modded it myself at a very minimal cost and my power cords [Analog Research Silver Raincoat x2... you can see one wrapping around that dragon figurine in the 'Office IV' picture] which I got for free, though they are worth ~$150 each.

So cost to me would be 940+720+80+120+200+20= $2080 USD

Considering the CD player sounds easily as good as most that are in the $3000 range and a Dynahi with the options that mine has would normally cost much more, I feel like it is a very good value even though my friends think I'm insane. :p

Oh, with the chair it would be $2288 USD. [Got a steal on the chair at $250 CDN]
towert7 said:
My guess is 1700$, lets see if im close.
Pretty close. ;)

Heres a couple pics of my Grado SR 80s and my Cmoy Amp that I built. I just finished the amp and it made a big difference in the sound of my Grado's.

grados.JPG

headphoneamp.JPG

thats a nice looking cmoy. which opamp are you using inside yours? ive found that my cmoy helps a lot with my SR60's also.

ericlikeseatin said:
thats a nice looking cmoy. which opamp are you using inside yours? ive found that my cmoy helps a lot with my SR60's also.

Thanks! It took me 2 tries to actually get it to work. Ive never built anything like that before. Im using part number OPA2132PA from Digi-Key. I dont know a lot about the stuff, so I used the tangentsoft tutorial http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/ and thats the one they suggested to start with. It seems to work really good though, I dont have any weird sounds coming through it. So Im pretty happy with.

Next you should try building an APH-47 amp. They are the best "cheap" amp with Grados IMO. Be sure to try out a OPA627 with the Grado's, it takes a lot of the highs away leaving a nice clean sound IMO.

Or a Dynahi :D

Ewwwwwww, have you ever seen the distortion numbers on a 47 amplifier before?

Never! But I really do like the way it sounds with my MS-2s. Distortion be damned! :p

Finished my first headphone recable. After a couple hours and a burnt thumb, I now have a recabled Senn HD201!

-Silver plated copper 22awg
-Neutrik mini

5_0211C29E48.jpg

lol, nice work! You even braided the cable! That makes your cable worth more than the cans :p The HD201's kick ass, dont they?

saturnine2 said:
lol, nice work! You even braided the cable! That makes your cable worth more than the cans :p The HD201's kick ass, dont they?

lol yeah, this was my first time doing the braid too. Once you get the pattern down, it is cake. Initial impressions are better dynamics, but I can't say for sure. I'll leave them playing till tomorrow when I can get a hold of a friend's stock HD201 and do a fair comparison.

towert7 said:
Just out of curiosity, how much that cable and accessories set you back?

Got the connector, techflex, and heatshrink off of partsexpress for roughly 7 bucks and shipping. The cable was about 11 shipped off eBay. Of course, I have a lot of leftover material leftover, about 30ft of cable left and didn't even use half the heatshrink and techflex I ordered.

strid3r said:
Got the connector, techflex, and heatshrink off of partsexpress for roughly 7 bucks and shipping. The cable was about 11 shipped off eBay. Of course, I have a lot of leftover material leftover, about 30ft of cable left and didn't even use half the heatshrink and techflex I ordered.
Oh, well in that case that's very impressive, and good job!

(I thought you were going to say something like, 80$)

Oh noes! I went off the deep end!

Esob.JPG

I got the Triports cheap from MrSlacker @ Head-Fi. He found them on the side of the street! :p The left side isnt working, but I inspected it and its just a loose connection. I'm gonna recable them with a Senn HD580/600 cable, and try out some Blu-Tack and fiber fill.

Bah, left driver is dead :( I resoldered the original cable and nothing. I'm gonna contact Bose to see how much a new driver would cost.

Ok, I just called Bose, and of course they dont sell individual drivers :rolleyes: I am going to RMA them, for $49 I get a brand spankin new pair. :D

./Bump from page 3 ^_^
Someone (cough cough, Mister X) should sticky this. It's fun to see other peoples headphones. :)

I finally solved the problem of the incredible "auto-knot ai" on my Senns.

Sennheiser580withcablemod.jpg

Beyer 770 curly cord puttin' up a fight vs. sleeving and twisty tie.

BeyerdynamicDT770closeupofcableslee.jpg

:D Did it to my Beyer's so I could get some length too. That curly cord blew nuggets at lans...always pullin' on my head and what not. Now if I can only do something about the "death by vice" grip...

Jodiuh said:
:D Did it to my Beyer's so I could get some length too. That curly cord blew nuggets at lans...always pullin' on my head and what not. Now if I can only do something about the "death by vice" grip...

ur 770's came with a curly cord?

Pic of my Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 back from MisterX along with a pimeta, HD600s and a ipod dock on top:

5_DD5F67BDB4.jpg

strid3r said:
Pic of my Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 back from MisterX along with a pimeta, HD600s and a ipod dock on top:

what did MisterX do to your Number Cruncher?

Opamp swap.... they already have Muse caps in so there ain't much left to tweak on those.

Mister X said:
Opamp swap.... they already have Muse caps in so there ain't much left to tweak on those.

which opamps come with it? and what did you replace them with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back