Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sbchn11000webimagefullsize3wa.jpg

Meh. The're not bad. I was shocked at how much they reduced the jet's of A air plane.

IMG_06341.jpg

Senn HD500 (Can't listen to them anymore-sitting unused on top of reciever), Senn HD 600, MisterX PPA.

Got my MisterX M3 a couple days ago (first one has different knobs because Mister X took it before finalizing):

Oooh, I have those 580's with a little mint amp. Did you ever hear them from something like that? I was hoping you could quantify or give me an idea on the increase of quality from you rmuch larger amp, hehe.

nice M3, what are you using for a powersupply? A wallwart? or a STEPS?
What opamps do you have in it?

please excuse my noobishness in headphone amperage.. but whats the second knob for? How's the M3 compare to a PPA?

man.. I miss my 580s..

Here is mine:

- Sennheiser HD650 on a beautiful stand
- Headamp Gilmore GS1

Not counting the computer and the Harman Kardon AVR-330, we are looking at $550 retail for the HD650s and $750 retail for the GS1 amp..... for a total of $1300 just on headphones.

Eep!

I ordered the Headamp Gilmore Lite, I think a $750 amp is too overkill.

www.headamp.com

47b5d934b3127cce92807810447c00000016108AatnDJo5ZNm

Deep88 said:
screw the headphones, you're cute :)

LOL!

and also I agree.
I like her user name as well.

sfd3jt.jpg

My cheapo, yet comfortable Sony MDR-V150 headphones.

magnetik said:
please excuse my noobishness in headphone amperage.. but whats the second knob for? How's the M3 compare to a PPA?

man.. I miss my 580s..
The M3 has an optional bass boost which can either be on/off or adjustable via a pot.
I've read a few reviews that put them pretty close with no clear winner overall just at certain things. I just finished building mine(more or less I watched and my EE buddy put it together) and it is quite a change from my old technics receiver, it almost feels too detailed sometimes. Bad recordings really stand out now. This is with the marginal HD555s.

Jodiuh said:
Oooh, I have those 580's with a little mint amp. Did you ever hear them from something like that? I was hoping you could quantify or give me an idea on the increase of quality from you rmuch larger amp, hehe.

The only other amp which I have heard is my lowend portable pimeta also built by Mister X. While it definitely sounds like an improvement, I have not directly compared the two yet as it is still new.

Stinn said:
nice M3, what are you using for a powersupply? A wallwart? or a STEPS?
What opamps do you have in it?

I am just using the standard Elpac. The opamps are the 8160 I believe.

magnetik said:

man.. I miss my 580s..

The knob on the left is for the variable bass boost.
I have not heard a PPA, but from what I understand, design wise the M3 would be closer to the level of the PPA2 rather than the original.

m3andphones.jpg

My recently completed M3 in a custom built wood enclosure. I still don't have a knob for it, I havent found the right one yet...
My HD555's hanging up and my ATH-A900s sitting on top.

saturnine2 said:

Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect…really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!

You gotta be kidding me... can a knob make a audible difference in the sound?

dude seriously... did you see the price for that knob?

WTF? $485???? for a wooden f'n knob? LOL.

I understand all about being the discriminate audiophile... but DAYUM!

I wonder if anyone ever bought one.

I am in the wrong business... I need to start making wooden knobs for a living. haha

MisterX has got the right idea, in fact I've looked at that very knob. The whole thing is done in a silver accent so the knob will be silver as well. The only problem with that one is it's only 1.5" and I was really hoping for 2-2.5".

Can someone PIF me that beech wood knob? It won't go on my amp but I figure if I tell a lady that my knob is worth $500USD that might pique some interest :D

magnetik said:
You gotta be kidding me... can a knob make a audible difference in the sound?

dude seriously... did you see the price for that knob?

WTF? $485???? for a wooden f'n knob? LOL.

I understand all about being the discriminate audiophile... but DAYUM!

I wonder if anyone ever bought one.

I am in the wrong business... I need to start making wooden knobs for a living. haha

So true, this is SICK...too sick ! :eek:

Impressions about the Millet Hybrid amp from those that have auditioned the one that has been floating around ? :D

saturnine2 ?
PsychoZX?

Hey, its a hybridamp, what do you except? lol :D

I got a chance to demo the Millet Hybrid amp from Mister X, and needless to say, he is currently working on me a slightly customized version for use in my home.

The amplifier is very impressive for its price range and gives a true "tubey" sound and feel to the presence of the acoustical staging. The bass is very well defined, accurate, and quick; without being over bloated. Mids are pleasant and well represented (not over stated like some tube amps), and the higher-ranges bare the trademark tube warmth and subtleness that some solid states can only dream about; all while keeping a natural and neutral tone to the representation of the music.

Overall, its an excellent value. I an extremely excited about receiving my personal edition of the Millet. :)

Mister X said:
Impressions about the Millet Hybrid amp from those that have auditioned the one that has been floating around ? :D

I was one of the recipients in the chain of users for MisterX's demo Millet Hybrid amp. All my listening was done with a modded E-mu 0404, Sennheiser HD600s, and Beyerdynamic DT531s. I also did a lot of comparing with my Pimeta.

Plugged it in, turned on the music, put on my headphones. Eh? Not really too different from my Pimeta. I went ahead and listened to a lot of the songs that I'm familiar with just to make sure I wasn't going deaf. I did this for a few days with both pairs of headphones to get a taste for the Millet before going back to the Pimeta for a direct comparison. When directly comparing the two, there weren't really any major or glaring advantages/disadvantages of either amp. I thought the bass was slightly rolled off and the midrange was slightly warmer. When I say slightly, I really mean you have to listen closely to notice these subtleties. When just enjoying and listening to the music, I probably wouldn't be able to tell any difference between the two.

I also brought this amp to the Boston Head-fi meet and got to try it out with a couple different headphones. One worth mentioning was a pair of Audio Technica AT100ti's that had been modded with A900 drivers. I thought these paired with the Millet very nicely when I tried it on my computer rig. Nice deep bass extension, no veil at all, and good soundstage.

I think in the end, it all comes down to system synergy. If it's one I thing I learned from the Head-fi meet, its that certain gear just goes well with other pieces of gear. If I had to pick between the Millet and Pimeta for my system, I'd go with the Pimeta just because it has a smaller footprint. Both are nice amps for the price and you really couldn't go wrong with either.

strid3r said:
I also brought this amp to the Boston Head-fi meet and got to try it out with a couple different headphones. One worth mentioning was a pair of Audio Technica AT100ti's that had been modded with A900 drivers. I thought these paired with the Millet very nicely when I tried it on my computer rig. Nice deep bass extension, no veil at all, and good soundstage.
Interesting...I just got a pair of A900s and I've been kicking around the idea of a millet hybrid. Damn when will this end???

Mister X said:
saturnine2 ?
Y hello thar!

I've been listening to the Millet exclusively for the past 2 days. While it isnt better than my PPA (IMO), it does have a very nice sound. The entire spectrum seems smoother than the PPA, but the highs are kinda sibilant (probably due to my bright source and cans :p ). The bass is amazingly good with this amp, its both louder and more controlled. Very "fun" sounding. I can easily see why someone would prefer a tube amp over a ss, but I prefer the insanely detailed yet cold sound of a nice SS :)

EMU 0404 modded with AD8620s and bypassed caps
Alessandro MS-2
Some nice cables and stuff..
$450 wooden knob. (Makes a HUGE difference with the Millet. Controls the bad chi while enhancing the good chi) :p (j/k)

Stinn said:
Damn when will this end???
Never. Well, not until you have the Orpheus, a Blue Hawaii, a $50,000 cdp, solid gold power cables, $26k interconnects (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablintr&1126311347), and power conditioning up the wazoo :p

Stinn said:
Interesting...I just got a pair of A900s and I've been kicking around the idea of a millet hybrid. Damn when will this end???

Not sure what the rest of your rig is like, but I think it may be a good purchase. The only AT can I've heard before that modded A900 was a pair of A500s that I owned for a while. With my rig, it had this veil to the sound that I couldn't get used to. When I used the A900s at the meet on a DAC1, it had that same veil to it (maybe it's those angled drivers?). But it seems that it disappeared when I tried it on the Millet. Maybe it was a case of listening exhaustion or something, but it was literally like someone lifting the curtains from in front of the music. Synergy perhaps?

saturnine2 said:
Never. Well, not until you have the Orpheus, a Blue Hawaii, a $50,000 cdp, solid gold power cables, $26k interconnects (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablintr&1126311347), and power conditioning up the wazoo :p
Damn, I'm going to have to get a second and probably third job to afford all this stuff.

strid3r said:
Not sure what the rest of your rig is like, but I think it may be a good purchase. The only AT can I've heard before that modded A900 was a pair of A500s that I owned for a while. With my rig, it had this veil to the sound that I couldn't get used to. When I used the A900s at the meet on a DAC1, it had that same veil to it (maybe it's those angled drivers?). But it seems that it disappeared when I tried it on the Millet. Maybe it was a case of listening exhaustion or something, but it was literally like someone lifting the curtains from in front of the music. Synergy perhaps?
my rig is: mp3's(mostly LAME alt preset standard) > av-710 > M^3 > HD555/A900
I don't have the most experience with DIY so I ordered the parts for a cmoy last night. If I can put together a cmoy on a breadboard I think I will be able to handle the millet. If I can't I'll be PM'ing MrX. :D
Damn addictions!

BP said:
*drools*
I know what my next project is. Damn, that's one sweet looking amp.

How prophetic. :D

Addition:
After skimming this enitre thread again I have to say:
Damn, you guys have some nice headphone stuff. :)

Mister X said:
How prophetic. :D

Addition:
After skimming this enitre thread again I have to say:
Damn, you guys have some nice headphone stuff. :)
I hate to blame anyone specifically but you were the person that posted the first link I ever followed to headfi. However I must thank you for the good sound I'm hearing these days, even with my rather modest equipment.

Stinn said:
I hate to blame anyone specifically but you were the person that posted the first link I ever followed to headfi. However I must thank you for the good sound I'm hearing these days, even with my rather modest equipment.

Yeah thanks MisterX for spreading the addiction. :p

PsychoZX said:
Yeah thanks MisterX for spreading the addiction. :p
Amen to that :) I would have been happy with the HD570s if I never came here :(

Happy with more money in the ole bank account :) But now that I've heard the good stuff, I would never be able to go back.

saturnine2 said:
Happy with more money in the ole bank account :) But now that I've heard the good stuff, I would never be able to go back.

Sometimes I just play around with the idea of selling off all my audio gear and thicken my wallet up a bit. Then I think, oh my, I could never do that! :D

strid3r said:
Sometimes I just play around with the idea of selling off all my audio gear and thicken my wallet up a bit. Then I think, oh my, I could never do that! :D

trade for a 7800...your fps will thank you :D

hd590.jpg

These are my Sennheiser HD590's. ^_^ I could'nt be more happy with them for the price I paid. I got them new back a few years ago and have been pleased ever since. Had to replace the cord once already (cheap cord).

dt990.jpg

freqres.png

These are my new Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro's. They are the older 600Ω version (instead of the 250Ohm). I got them new for 130$us at a local audio shop.

After having them for a few days and running them, they have improved a bit. There is much more bass then my Sennheiser HD590's, and during some songs it can become a little too much for my ears.
But, if you like musical bass, then these are very good!
It really livens up classical music.

Being 600Ohm's, they have a very hard time being driven by my computer. My external amp should improve things though. The HD590's do not have this much trouble being driven by my computer.

A quality product of Germany for sure!

hd497-3.jpg

These are my Sennheiser HD497 headphones I use with my laptop and for vacations. Purchased them for about 40$ at newegg. They sound cheap, with a distinctively bright sound compared to others such as the cheap sonys. The ear pads are rather small for earpads that "cup" your ears but at least I don't get the "swamp effect" with these. The upper mid range is ok, but the overall sound is very "in the ear" with almost no soundstage taking place.

If you take the speakers off (they can come off), it almost remindes me of a tiara.

Please note my ghetto wiring job, the little twist tie to keep the long cable under control ^_^. It really works good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back