Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cables can influence the sound.. I was skeptical at first.. I owned the Cardas cable, & truthfully, the differences between the stock cables were subtle. They seemed overly hyped & 'snake oil' like..But I had my SA5000 recabled with the stock 650 cable, & to my surprise it did influence the sound on my SA5000.. It gave my headphones more of the 650's house sound.. I didn't like it, nor did I expect any change in sound, since a 'cable is just a cable.' Funny thing is, I gave this guy over seas an extra stock 650 cable.. He has the SA5000 as well.. Very crappy cable design for a 700.00 headphone. He got his recabled, & he PMed me about the change in the SQ.. Less clarity, more veiled, & warm.. These were the same issues I had with the SQ.. So we compared notes.

these are my ultrsone hfi 580
newspeakerswithmyultasosb7.jpg

I have cheap Fiio E3 amp. I like the AD700 better than the HD555. In fact Id say it is all around better. Most notably the bass goes lower (it is not more emphasized however, my A900 has much more "thump"). Id say the highs are better too, hard to say for the mids. The soundstage is definitely wider on the AD700, better is subjective however. I bought it since my A900 get stuffy after prolonged use and I was bored of the HD555. Cost me a bit less than $70.

No headphones but I built this about 2 years ago:

B22S22.jpg

Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture...

http://members.cox.net/strongebad/B22S22.jpg

Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture...[/QUOTE]

Did you get any hum with the psu toroid so close to the audio section?

γ1 (gamma 1) DAC
Front:
gamma1002.jpg

Back:
gamma1003.jpg

Signal detected!:
gamma1005.jpg

Looks like the camera picked up all the dust on it too. :eek:

It's being fed by an E-mu 0404 and outputs to a PPAv2. I usually switch between HD600's and DT531's. Ironically, the DAC doesn't do too bad when connected directly to high-z phones. It's a little surprising when something this small sounds this good. You should totally build one. :)

Very cool.
But the boards are not even avilable yet are they? :confused:

It's being fed by an E-mu 0404 and outputs to a PPAv2. I usually switch between HD600's and DT531's. Ironically, the DAC doesn't do too bad when connected directly to high-z phones. It's a little surprising when something this small sounds this good. You should totally build one. :)

Very cool.
But the boards are not even avilable yet are they?

As a matter of fact, the production boards are released.
I made one of the prototype ones, and its really a fantastic DAC.

My new Ultrasone HFI-780 headphones. I'm using one of those Koss headphone holders and it works great.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture...

That's very good quality for cell phone photo. How does your amp sound? How much did it cost you to build and where did you get the acrylic case for it?

I'll post a pic of my headphones once I have my new amp I am about to order.

Beyerdynamic DT770 (2005 Consumer Ed.) Still deciding on which headphone amp to get, till then I'm stuck with a cMoy.

105tnhu.jpg

I'm a member at headfi and I have DT9990pro headphones and I have been told by quite a few people there that 880 and 990 are best with tube amps. I just ordered a Lunchbox Pro tube amp last night and for $199.00 it's about the best you can do. You can get Little Dot and Darkvoice tube amps from China at a good price but I don't want to have to deal with an overseas supplier. Another good choice is Woo3 but that is $470.00 so I went with the Lunchbox.

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/Lunch_Box.html

It's now $225.00 but was $199.00 over Xmas.

DSC00545.jpg

I ordered my AKG K701s and Little Dot MK III yesterday with a banana stand so this is going to change pretty drastically in the next few days ;)

Beyerdynamic DT770 (2005 Consumer Ed.) Still deciding on which headphone amp to get, till then I'm stuck with a cMoy.

http://i41.tinypic.com/105tnhu.jpg

I've got a pair of DT770/80Ω and I use a LDII+ tube amp and I love the sound. Very warm and just enough bass for the 770's to shine were they do best. It's not top end setup but it gets the job done.

My setup looks like this X-Fi Xm>Zhaolu 1.3 DAC>LDII+>DT770/80Ω.

That's very good quality for cell phone photo. How does your amp sound? How much did it cost you to build and where did you get the acrylic case for it?

I'll post a pic of my headphones once I have my new amp I am about to order.

It sounds great. It was expensive, I built a couple couple of them along with some other amps so I dont really recall the actual cost of that particular one. I fabricated the case and the volume knob myself from sheets of acrylic.

Cool. My headphone setup will be Chaintech AV-710 Toslink out>EMU 0404 USB via Toslink in>Lunchbox Pro tube amp>DT990pro headphones. Have it all setup and am just waiting for the amp now. Only thing that concerns me is finding new tubes when I need them. Lunchbox is made by Laconic in Russia so have to find out what other tubes I can use with it. I don't think there are many available over here that it can use.

I received a few PMs asking about the Koss "Hold-a-Phone" headphone holder. I like it. Cost was about $13 shipped directly from Koss Here's a better pic:

This?

It looks a little less flimsy in your pic...is there more than one version of this (ex. for portables and for full phones)?

holdaphoneblack1cg4.jpg

Yup, they're the same. It's definitely not flimsy. I had to push pretty hard to get it fitted on my desk. My price included shipping which actually is more than the holder itself.

Not flimsy at all... the hold/grip makes that thing so hard to pull out once installed on a desk....
Order from Koss. They ship fast.

Sony MDR-EX85LP
3153404311_49d627e33f.jpg

Great little IEMs took them with me on the plane back to asia this summer and they were great... better than apple, and senn cx300. Bassy, thing is that the bass tends to muffle the details a little.. And the guy sent me blue instead of black >_< I hate that J cable though... Could have went for the Denons too if I wanted bass...

ATH AD700
3154237410_7e2d4d5de7.jpg

3154240590_0c181183b5.jpg

Finally broke them in after a few months since I listen to them casually. Sounds great with a lot of bass(well for me) makes me want some big close headphones too. Very very comfy and warm for the winter weather great earmuffs. And no amp. :D

Ghostchild: I like what you did with the headphone cable. I'll hafta steal your idea. ;)

Velcro's a nice idea, but I don't think you should coil it that tightly. It should be stored coiled in loops though. No figure-eights or whatever like with power cords.

Velcro's a nice idea, but I don't think you should coil it that tightly. It should be stored coiled in loops though. No figure-eights or whatever like with power cords.

Theres still room to be able to extend the cable if I need to.

Sorry about the harshness of the flash, but it's dark outside and in my room. I just got these in the mail today... I should be getting my amp soon enough.

DSC00552ee.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back