Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HD201_zoom.jpg

Mine.
So...tell me how bad they are.

Actually theyre not bad for the price... serious.
 
I have a set of the 201's also. after about 50 hours or so of burning in, they sound even better =)
 
DSC00600.jpg


DSC00613.jpg


The 701s have about 150 hours on them. The Little Dot I+ has only about 50, and the Fubar II about 25. This setup sounds amazing.
 
Friend of mine just bought the Fubar iCute headphone amp. Nice sounding headphone amp for anyone on a budget.
 
My 78 Technics 810 came in today. These are Othodynamic headphones with planar drivers like electrostasts. These are easily the smoothest headphones I have heard.. Like flowing water... Natural detail, no treble spikes..Very fast transients and very detailed.
 
ATH-A700 w/ a boom mic taped on :)
I use it for Halo 3. I hated having to be wearing the headphones and have the 360's headset around my neck to talk to teammates, so I took an old Radioshack 2.5mm headset apart, clipped the earphone wire, ripped the mic off of it, & taped it to one of the cans.
Now I just need to find a suction cup or something I can use to attach it instead of tape. :p

ath360.jpg
 
For that matter, what's the deal with the yellow pads? Recable & Canare F-12 I know, but doing something about the crappy stock pads would be hot.
 
For that matter, what's the deal with the yellow pads? Recable & Canare F-12 I know, but doing something about the crappy stock pads would be hot.
The HD414 pads are much more comfortable and they also increase bass response and mid-range liquidity. I used to have them on my HF-1s and they sounded great. They were also more comfortable then with Headphile C-Pads. The one thing they did to piss me off though was leave yellow dust on the headphones.
 
I see you were going for the intellectual look in that photo by having the open book in the shot.
 
Nah, I'm just lazy and left one of my physics texts open to where I was looking something up.
 
dsc1616.jpg

I <3 these headphones, best money I have ever spent. I have no idea what they sound like unmodded, but some dynamat and cotton stuffing go a LONG way.. haha
 
I'm assuming they sound amazing?

Yup. It's kind of hard to describe the experience without resorting to a vulgar and sacrilegious metaphor. They take good music and bring out the kind of emotional impact that you would normally only find in a live performance, and that if you're lucky. The fine detail and lower bass frequencies that you lose with dynamic phones do quite a lot once you bring them back. Vinyl on these is just lol. If anything, I wouldn't mind if the bass had more impact, but that's open phones for you. And yeah, they're a little ugly, but the looks grow on you after you experience what they do to your ears.

Buying used and tracking down an SRD "adapter" brings the mess down to $400-600 assuming you've already got a speaker amp to run the adapter off of. Or, track down some orthos...$100ish and supposedly gets close to the sound electrodynamics can achieve.
 
Those headphones are by far the ugliest things I've ever seen. I wonder how they make up in the sound department, I'm assuming they sound amazing?
Stax are godsend if they're paired with the right amp! I almost picked up a pair of Lambda Pros way back before the market craze spiked the prices up but amp availability/price at the time drew me away.
 
Stax are godsend if they're paired with the right amp! I almost picked up a pair of Lambda Pros way back before the market craze spiked the prices up but amp availability/price at the time drew me away.

are those electrostatic headphones?
 
Yup, the Stax are electrostats. I believe they made a few entry level hybrids way, way back in the day, but the majority of their cans are 'stats.
 
Those look really uncomfortable.

I got these HD201's for free for selling a bunch of Microsoft software as a promotion at work.

For an MSRP value of like $30 these really are like the super cans for their price.

They are super light and pretty comfortable.

Of course they don't compare to my HD280's or my MDR-V700's but for $30... Yea.
 
Yup, the Stax are electrostats. I believe they made a few entry level hybrids way, way back in the day, but the majority of their cans are 'stats.
As far as I know, the only hybrid is the AKG 340.

Yup. It's kind of hard to describe the experience without resorting to a vulgar and sacrilegious metaphor. They take good music and bring out the kind of emotional impact that you would normally only find in a live performance, and that if you're lucky. The fine detail and lower bass frequencies that you lose with dynamic phones do quite a lot once you bring them back. Vinyl on these is just lol. If anything, I wouldn't mind if the bass had more impact, but that's open phones for you. And yeah, they're a little ugly, but the looks grow on you after you experience what they do to your ears.

Buying used and tracking down an SRD "adapter" brings the mess down to $400-600 assuming you've already got a speaker amp to run the adapter off of. Or, track down some orthos...$100ish and supposedly gets close to the sound electrodynamics can achieve.
Orthos are a poor mans electrostats, but really need to be modded to really start getting close to the stat sound. The most thought after Ortho seems to be the Yamaha 1000. Infact, I read a post, where this guy let his friend hear his Y1000, and was so impressed with it's smoothness he wanted to trade his 02 for it.
 
As far as I know, the only hybrid is the AKG 340.

Sorry, I guess hybrid was the wrong term. I meant something more along the lines of pseudo electrostat, ie electrets which are kind of electrostats but have permanently polarized diaphragms as opposed to electrostats that need an energizer to polarize their diaphragms. These are the poor man's Stax as they are available for much less than the earspeakers on the used market and are cheaper to power.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top