Post your HeadPhones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought some HD280's and have to say im not too impressed. There is almost no bass at all, and the guitars in my heavy metal songs seem to be muddled.
 
lol then you bought the wrong headphones then and forgot to do some searching.

Those are known to be flat/accurate and very little amount of bass unamped and un-modded.
 
Yeah I found out about headfi afterwards and wish I hadn't made an impulse buy when out shopping. It would be so nice to be able to listen to headphones before you buy, especially when they cost mucho dinero.
 
I'm loving my dt48s at the moment. You should really try a pair Space man. Erik says the midrange tops the K1000/HP-2. And if there is a headphone more revealing I'd like to hear it. These can hang with legends IMO, and much cheaper then them as well.
 
BoogerBomb said:
Just bought some HD280's and have to say im not too impressed. There is almost no bass at all, and the guitars in my heavy metal songs seem to be muddled.
Got talked into those..sold as fast as I could..sorry guy
For the pricerange of the HD280s if you need closed sets you definitely want to consider the Denon AH-D1000/1001 (same exact headphones, different numbers stamped on the sides and different accessories in the package for a different price -- I know, it's a little silly. The 1000 used to be cheaper, but with all of the price reductions, a little careful shopping will probably net you a 1001 for notably less than a 1000. I guess since the 1000 used to be more popular due to its price. The 1001 definitely is not worth the extra cost at the original MSRP...) When I picked these out I was looking through closed sets at that price range because I needed something with a bit of isolation to muffle a room A/C that my fully open SR60s were passing through unfettered. I was considering the HD280s because so many seem to suggest the Sennheisers in that price range, but I didn't like what people were saying about them (and no, they weren't saying "more accurate," they were saying less in fact. As for the bass, you clearly MUST have an amp that gives a strong response there for the HD280s to get good in this respect, which is part of why I rejected them since this means they technically cost even more...) They aren't perfect by any means, but for that pricerange (I picked up my AH-D1001S for about $80) they are pretty incredible -- especially once you've burned them in and they even have a great sound stage (by comparison, my SR60s sound terribly flat.) I just finished modding them and while I still haven't gotten it perfect (I think I keep having either too much stuffing or too little) they now sound even better IMO.

Of course, the key here is that the Denons were supposed to cost very nearly twice as much. A lot of sellers are lowering their prices on them. I think they aren't well known though or something to be honest. The box they sent me had old dust on it. At $150 the margin gets a lot tighter.

Here are a couple of graphs for comparison (lately their system is screwed up so you can only do one graph at a time).

HD280 Pro:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=213
I'm sorry, but that's not an "accurate" response curve -- even allowing for the closeness of the speakers to the ears and the acoustics of the closed sets (in fact, that test takes those things into account already anyway by using a model of a head complete with ear canals and all.) It may SOUND accurate, but unless you pair it with an amp that perfectly complements it, I just don't see how it possibly could be. (Don't get me wrong, how it sounds to the individual is one of the most important things of all, I just don't like it being called accurate with a response curve like that.)
Denon AH-D1000/1001:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=729
Note how that response curve is surprisingly even for headphones of this price range with less jerky peaks and more of a smooth curve to any extreme ends. Admitedly it doesn't drop as much as it should at the upper end and it does start to rollercoaster a little (show me a sub $100 pair that does not) but overall things are very even and smooth. The biggest problem is that the Denons have a fair bit of distortion. The Markl mod pretty much solves that problem though I'm sure (well, I don't really know what the distortion sounds like as if I'm an audiophile at all I'm on the low end of the spectrum, but I'm definitely having less trouble with the bass.) Regardless though, the HD280s are clearly utterly reliant on the amp and I decided not to go with them because I just can't afford the sort of quality amp they absolutely require. With a great amp, maybe they are better. Of course, if you can afford a great amp, why are you buying headphones of that level? d-:


PS. I don't care what anyone says, these DO look cheap, lol. Not an ugly cheap though. A "not worth stealing" sort of cheap. d-: I don't know that this is really a bad thing. They are incredibly light and comfortable with a great sound that others around me can't really hear, so they can look like they came out of a junkyard for all that I really care.
 
I just built a headphone stand out of miscellaneous Ikea parts.. lol. It's so solid you could probably kill someone with it. Everything is that stainless steel stuff. It all cost me about $15 to $20 max to build. (some of the stuff I found in the 'returned items and clearance' section)

Main stand portion: BJÄRNUM Bracket 11''
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10136135

Headphone holder post: CAPITA Leg 4''
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20049538

Wire wrapping posts: ATTEST Knob
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50138750

And of course the headphones.. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm

Were these welded together or can they be screwed together?
 
Just got a new DAC to source my 007A's.







I am thinking of getting an aftermarket Stax amp next. After that, I am not going to bother upgrading my headphone rig again.
 
Just got a new DAC to source my 007A's.







I am thinking of getting an aftermarket Stax amp next. After that, I am not going to bother upgrading my headphone rig again.
Excellent headphone rig. Nice way to spend 5-6 grand. Gaming must be pretty nuts.
 
p997tt

You are being disrespectful to your sweet $5K setup by putting it on a $30 table. Please upgrade to something more fitting for such a dynamite rig and take some new pics.

Blasphemy!

lol
 
34t28sh.jpg


And I know it's nowhere near as High End as most of you have for output, but I do like this recent upgrade of mine from onboard (SupremeFX II), to the Asus Xonar D2.

Makes an enormous difference. My ears have thanked me many times over.
 
I'm loving my dt48s at the moment. You should really try a pair Space man. Erik says the midrange tops the K1000/HP-2. And if there is a headphone more revealing I'd like to hear it. These can hang with legends IMO, and much cheaper then them as well.

its hard to compare headphones to the K1000's... its a totally different expierence listening to a good K1000 rig... you forget you are wearing headphones, seriously ive walked away from my desk only to have my k1000's fly off my head becuase it feels like your listening to speakers...

that being said, i am a huge fan of beyer (my pre-2005 DT880's are one of my fav headphones) and ive never even heard of these... i might have to find a pair to listen to but i *seriously* doubt they can outresolve my K1000 rig...
 
Yeah, I heard the K1000 before. I was at a very small meet. Was running it with the Canyin speaker and headphone amp. The K1000 were terminated with speaker wire. The was called E something. Very expensive, and mates well with the K1000 so I'm told. The Cayin drove them 'well'. I loved the music. Midrange was sweet, great sound stage and detail. But the K1000 is hard to categorize as headphones since they are more like ear speakers. I heard a lot of headphones and only 2 left me saying they are special These were the K1000/DT48 a/e models. The a models are acutally audio metric headphones that are used for hearing test, sound engineers, and labs. They excell with acoustics and vocals. The music on the Thing.. That plays during the menu screen is bi aural like. Numbling good. IMO the 48s crap all over the the 05 880's.. They sound veiled in comparison. More neutral. Sound stage is small but very accurate and coherent. And runs circles around the 880s in regards to mid range and detail. The 48's even out classed my DAC1/ balanced SA5000 combo in that area. And my current source for my 48's is my PS3. Amp is my Yamaha V1800. So, I expect more out of them when I upgrade.
 
Updated w/amp

IMG_1095.jpg


IMG_1105.jpg


IMG_1099.jpg


herm, maybe I should have dusted/put the side back on my case before I took pics :eek:
 
strend thats one of the best set ups i've seen, simple....what is the item ontop of your monitor?
 
They look good Final, I ordered mine over the weekend I expect them Thursday or Friday.
 
Sorry for crappy cell phone pic, ex-wife took the camera...
1022081800.jpg


Sennheiser HD485 and JVC HA-RX700

I've had the 700's for about a week now and I really like them, awesome bang for the buck. I initially liked them more than my Senns, but I've decided that its not really a straight comparison for me.
The JVC are better at producing strong punchy bass, and are overall more forward and aggressive compared to the Senns. But the JVC also give up some high end detail that I hear with the senns, on rock songs with the 700's cymbals sound kind of dull while they are more crisp and dynamic on the Senns. Idk, I'm gonna keep them both because they each have their strengths, and you can't knock the price of the JVC.

I eventually want to upgrade to some higher end cans like HD600/DT880/K701 but I'm still trying to figure out what I really like in headphones. I've been primarily a speaker guy most of my life and have just recently become interested in audiophile quality sound. I can't wait to hear what the cheap cans I have now will sound like when I finish building my Millet starving student headphone amp, it will be my first experience with tubes! :D

The Acid cigar box on my shelf is going to be the enclosure for my Millet, should look pretty neat at least, hehe.
 
Ka-POW these things are awesome- I just got them yesterday and I'm in love- soundstage, presentation, bass- ooh I'm getting all excited just talking about them, can't wait to go home and listen, learn, and frag!

DSCN3336.jpg


I'm coming from Grado SR-125's, which while beautiful phones, cannot compete in the areas I mentioned above, esp for my music that is not acoustic, classic, or jazz. These 900's that I picked up off a fellow Head-Fi'r are used, but flawless. So amazing I'm looking forward to hearing all my music again for the first time!


::edit:: spelling
 
Ka-POW these things are awesome- I just got them yesterday and I'm in love- soundstage, presentation, bass- ooh I'm getting all excited just talking about them, can't wait to go home and listen, learn, and frag!

DSCN3336.jpg


I'm coming from Grado SR-125's, which while beautiful phones, cannot compete in the areas I mentioned above, esp for my music that is not acoustic, classic, or jazz. These 900's that I picked up off a fellow Head-Fi'r are used, but flawless. So amazing I'm looking forward to hearing all my music again for the first time!


::edit:: spelling

How much did you get the A900 for?
 
Just got my new limited edition ESW10JPNs. Absolutely gorgeous tone, straight out of an ipod. I'm going to try them out with my real headphone rig tomorrow. :)

2969979767_d0b670fa17_b.jpg
 
Sorry for crappy cell phone pic, ex-wife took the camera...
1022081800.jpg


Sennheiser HD485 and JVC HA-RX700

I've had the 700's for about a week now and I really like them, awesome bang for the buck. I initially liked them more than my Senns, but I've decided that its not really a straight comparison for me.
The JVC are better at producing strong punchy bass, and are overall more forward and aggressive compared to the Senns. But the JVC also give up some high end detail that I hear with the senns, on rock songs with the 700's cymbals sound kind of dull while they are more crisp and dynamic on the Senns. Idk, I'm gonna keep them both because they each have their strengths, and you can't knock the price of the JVC.

I eventually want to upgrade to some higher end cans like HD600/DT880/K701 but I'm still trying to figure out what I really like in headphones. I've been primarily a speaker guy most of my life and have just recently become interested in audiophile quality sound. I can't wait to hear what the cheap cans I have now will sound like when I finish building my Millet starving student headphone amp, it will be my first experience with tubes! :D

The Acid cigar box on my shelf is going to be the enclosure for my Millet, should look pretty neat at least, hehe.
All 3 cans mentioned are on the neutral side..Resolving, have good clarity and analytical.
 

Nice! The DAC looks a lot bigger than I expected. I was planning to buy one for my rig as well but just didn't have the patient to save up for that much (wasn't keen for second hand) as I also need money to upgrade amp. The sound of your rig must be really good with the DAC3 as a source.
 
Nice! The DAC looks a lot bigger than I expected. I was planning to buy one for my rig as well but just didn't have the patient to save up for that much (wasn't keen for second hand) as I also need money to upgrade amp. The sound of your rig must be really good with the DAC3 as a source.

Thanks, yeah I've really enjoyed it. To my ears it is very neutral. Nothing stands out, which is what I want in a source. It has several inputs, but I usually only use the USB. Many dacs tack on a usb as an afterthought, but it was a main focal point of this dac, and it makes a difference. It lacks the haze that all my other dacs have had (albeit cheaper dacs).

2,500 DAC hu?
Nowadays you can find them for around $1800 on audiogon used. I payed right around $2k new for mine, a while back. And I'd do it again :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top