Post your hard drive Power On hours!

I really need to upgrade this:

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB

Code:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   077   077   000    Old_age   Always       -       112815
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       45
177 Wear_Leveling_Count     0x0013   095   095   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       260
179 Used_Rsvd_Blk_Cnt_Tot   0x0013   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
181 Program_Fail_Cnt_Total  0x0032   100   100   010    Old_age   Always       -       0
182 Erase_Fail_Count_Total  0x0032   100   100   010    Old_age   Always       -       0
183 Runtime_Bad_Block       0x0013   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
187 Uncorrectable_Error_Cnt 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0032   066   051   000    Old_age   Always       -       34
195 ECC_Error_Rate          0x001a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
199 CRC_Error_Count         0x003e   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
235 POR_Recovery_Count      0x0012   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       16
241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       52990628398

Some 'new to me' drives that are now living out their life in an old eol nas unit. All this hardware was destined to be trashed, but now lives on as a network scratch drive. :)
1711391701033.png
1711391717332.png

It can join the other seagate I have that seems to be of the same family. :D That is just an awesome POH and one heck of a drive.
These old Seagates are amazing, especially the .7, .9, .10, .14 series units.
The .14 series, if it is the version with only one plate, are usually very reliable, those that equip 2 disks are no longer so reliable.
There are also the 1TB ones (1SB102 and 2EP102) (Both are series 14) that are coming out very well.

These old Seagates are amazing, especially the .7, .9, .10, .14 series units.
The .14 series, if it is the version with only one plate, are usually very reliable, those that equip 2 disks are no longer so reliable.
There are also the 1TB ones (1SB102 and 2EP102) (Both are series 14) that are coming out very well.
You know, I don't know why there isn't a 'data safe' series of drives that uses only a few platters and writes the same info in different places on the drive for an effective 'mirror' on a drive itself. This could decrease the error rate by probably one more order of magnitude (1 in 10^7 vs 10^6 or 10^5) if not multiple orders and be really valuable in situations where there simply cannot be data loss.

I did have to break out my SUPER DUPER optical drive and install Windows 7 32bit, as that is the last version of the 2940UW controller driver.
My motherboard won't boot from a USB Thumb drive. It will boot from all kinds of USB devices, Zip, Floppy, HDD, CD, but not a thumbdrive for some reason.

Wow. I had no idea they made an optical drive that could read BluRay AND HDDVD discs. And presumably, DVD and CD as well.

You know, I don't know why there isn't a 'data safe' series of drives that uses only a few platters and writes the same info in different places on the drive for an effective 'mirror' on a drive itself. This could decrease the error rate by probably one more order of magnitude (1 in 10^7 vs 10^6 or 10^5) if not multiple orders and be really valuable in situations where there simply cannot be data loss.

Doesn't make sense because some hard drive problems are complete failures. Issues with the electronics and firmware can go from working to not very fast. If a head crashes into a platter that can get real bad real fast, too. Better to mirror to a separate device for real time protection (even better if that separate device isn't from the same batch, with the same firmware, and the same power on time; lots of stories of firmware bugs resulting in dead drives when a power on counter rolls over; other more elusive firmware errors are likely to hit both drives if the access patterns are nearly identicial), and back up to a far off location for long term protection.

Doesn't make sense because some hard drive problems are complete failures. Issues with the electronics and firmware can go from working to not very fast. If a head crashes into a platter that can get real bad real fast, too. Better to mirror to a separate device for real time protection (even better if that separate device isn't from the same batch, with the same firmware, and the same power on time; lots of stories of firmware bugs resulting in dead drives when a power on counter rolls over; other more elusive firmware errors are likely to hit both drives if the access patterns are nearly identicial), and back up to a far off location for long term protection.
True, but I can imagine certain cases where an individual 'hardened' drive is easy to manufacture and pretty simple in logic like the spare sectors on enterprise SSDs, except actively using them to store redundant data. My thought is that if a 1 platter drive is so reliable, a 2 platter doesn't change the design much, but could be used as a redundancy vs increase in capacity. I'm sure some of these use cases are covered by an SSD (like high shock environment), but then it almost makes sense to have something like a hybrid drive with a full SSD/hardened HD mirror on the drive.

Wow. I had no idea they made an optical drive that could read BluRay AND HDDVD discs. And presumably, DVD and CD as well.
Ya, that one read BD, HD DVD, DVD, and CD. Pretty cool drive. That is what I used in my HTPC back in the day since I was buying some HD-DVD's for cheap when Bluray won the format war.
blurays.jpg

I also had the HD-DVD drives for the Xbox 360. I bought 2 since they also worked on the PC and I wanted a backup to play my discs if one of them failed.
htpc-360-1.jpg

Nice! I think we should have a movie night at Zepher's--a bunch of movies it would be a hoot to watch with all of you. :D

Back