Post your Eyefinity workstation

I found it also.. after searching for "eyefinity wallpaper" about the 8th hit down.. had been searching for "5760x1200 wallpaper" and similar... but this one is only 3840x1024... arg! I guess in time some better 5760x1200 (and 1080) wallpapers will trickle in.. I guess I can take in game screen shots to make them for now. ;)

ok, got all my shwag tonight... the pile outside our door was huge. lol. spent all night moving stuff around.. finally got to test it out.. this is kind of my quick and dirty desk config.. but it works

still can't find that ruby one posted above.. *sigh*

it's quite a change from being on one 37" display.. at first I almost felt like maybe this wasn't such a good move.. but the more I play on it and get used to it, the more I am realizing it's totally awesome. spent a grand total between the 5870, DP --> DVI adapter, and LCDs so I think I did pretty well for what I spent on it.. the displays are Auria eq236 (1920x1080 / 23.6" / 5ms / 2ms with OD / M236H1-L01 samsung panel) which I got for 180 each (no tax free shipping) and so far I like them a lot. still getting used to a smaller wider view... it's quite a change from the westy... I might eventually turn these into TV sets around the house and upgrade my panels but for now this works for a base eyefinity setup. :)

edit: one thing I notice using eyefin is I need to use D3Doverrider now all the time to hard set my vsync and triple buffering. oh and L4D2 on eyefin is OMFGWTFBBQ!!

So you like the 3 23.6s in eyefinity more than the 37" TV eh? I just can't imagine going back to that small a screen...

well... I won't lie, it's been a pretty big adjustment... the trick is getting the smaller displays to the right viewing height and sitting closer to them... and the smaller dot pitch makes things pop out of the screen almost like they are 3D.. like your character in dead space.. that game is mind blowing on 3 panels. anyways.. at first yes I felt like I went too small on the screens yes, but after a very short while I got used to them..

anyways.. it's been a very interesting trade off.. there is some performance loss in some games also with eyefinity... which is a little frustrating but I am re-tuning those games.. lotro being one of them.. I was getting frame skipping so I had to hard set the fps with the built in (to lotro) fps limiter down to 45fps and that seems to have fixed it.. but I am still messing with the config.. oh well, I knew there would be some bumps in the road. ;)

down the road I do seeing myself getting larger panels.. but I just wanted to get my foot in the door without running myself out of desk space too badly..

edit: gah.. I need to clean my desk up.. looks like hell compared to the other setups :p

Last edited:
So you like the 3 23.6s in eyefinity more than the 37" TV eh? I just can't imagine going back to that small a screen...

I was on a 42" TV and couldn't stand playing on it.

I am now back on a 23" Dell with 2 more in the mail.

42" TV doesn't make more picture, just makes a BIGGER picture. While Eyefinity makes more(wider) picture.

agreed.. there is a lot more of the picture now.. a LOT. the other thing is I use two 20s all day at work, and also my laptop display which is very small, but with decent res.. so I am pretty used to the finer pitch... once I get my 3 display arm going I think my setup will be pretty slick..

down the road I do seeing myself getting larger panels.. but I just wanted to get my foot in the door without running myself out of desk space too badly..

The only thing wrong with getting your foot in the door now and upgrading later is that you'll almost certainly have to take a loss on those panels and then shell out full price for larger ones, as opposed to just buying three bigger monitors to start with. But depending on budget and desk space constraints, I can understand doing it that way if you just HAVE to try out Eyefinity right now...and I assume you already took the above into consideration anyway.

How do you like the various HUD elements being on the extreme left and right of your display setup? Likewise, in your Windows pic the icons and Start orb are on the far left while the sidebar is all the way to the right. Just seems like there would be a lot of neck turning, but I guess that's the price of having so much more horizontal real estate until software devs start providing the option of relocating various elements that (for now) default to the leftmost and rightmost borders.

Nickbaldwin86 said:

42" TV doesn't make more picture, just makes a BIGGER picture. While Eyefinity makes more(wider) picture.

I was on a 37" monitor and loved playing on it. :)

I think the fact that a single display doesn't add any extra game world is pretty established by now...but that doesn't mean it doesn't add immersion. The feeling of being "in the game" is WAY more prevalent when playing on a larger display vs. a smaller one. Now, Eyefinity mixes things up a bit by allowing people to add immersion via extra game world (in the case of landscape) or a large vertical wall of gaming goodness in the case of portrait.

I'd like to try Eyefinity at some point, but I'm waiting on a couple of things...namely monitors with thin bezels and also to see if this catches on to the point where nVidia releases their own implementation of this technology. With both major graphics companies pushing it, I can only imagine the possibilities (not to mention I wouldn't be tied to ATI indefinitely).

Slick setups, guys!

The only thing wrong with getting your foot in the door now and upgrading later is that you'll almost certainly have to take a loss on those panels and then shell out full price for larger ones, as opposed to just buying three bigger monitors to start with. But depending on budget and desk space constraints, I can understand doing it that way if you just HAVE to try out Eyefinity right now...and I assume you already took the above into consideration anyway.

How do you like the various HUD elements being on the extreme left and right of your display setup? Likewise, in your Windows pic the icons and Start orb are on the far left while the sidebar is all the way to the right. Just seems like there would be a lot of neck turning, but I guess that's the price of having so much more horizontal real estate until software devs start providing the option of relocating various elements that (for now) default to the leftmost and rightmost borders.
[snip]

Yeah... there will be some loss involved, but my thought was I would give one to the wife for her docking station, or maybe even two for her and put one in the kitchen or somewhere else in the house for a TV.. I for sure will have use for extra 1080p panels with an HDMI input on them.. else I can sell one I guess... Basically I wanted to try eyefinity out without having to spend too much and totally reconfigure my desk.. this seemed like a good way to do it. anyways...

yeah.. in windows the extreme wide look doesn't bug me at all.. but it can feel like a tennis match getting things dialed in.. windows popping open on the far right and not in the middle.. etc.. In game the HUD elements on extreme sides is going to take some getting used to... it was something I didn't really think about until I saw it first hand.. it's for sure weird, not a deal breaker or anything.. Plus I can move lotro's HUD elements anywhere I want, so that's all good.. what you saw in the pic was 60 seconds of moving stuff.. it's no finaly config by any means.. But for some games, it's just not an option to mod the HUD, so I'm hoping with time better support for multi monitor gaming options comes along.. I think it will be necessary once this becomes more common in the PC gaming community.

Slick setups, guys!

Thanks! it's a real trip gaming with such a wide field of view.. I really can't wait for the weekend to come so I can geek out on it for a solid day and get to know it better. :) I guess in the end, if I don't like I can go back to old faithful (westy) ;).

edit: cleaned my desk up a little and got things more dialed in.. abandoned the under desk drawer so I stay closer to the monitors... totally forgot about my mini deck, heh.. love this little guy.
P1010611.jpg

Last edited:
Thats rediculous, and unfair to your son, you get 3x more monitors! :D

Ned moar pix, these setup's are amazing.

My partner's Mac Mini doesn't even get it's own screen. It's plugged into the right hand Eyefinity screen! (Which works surprisingly well with no fuss actually. When the main PC is in sleep mode, the Mac just takes over the right hand screen when you wake that up)

Yeah... there will be some loss involved, but my thought was I would give one to the wife for her docking station, or maybe even two for her and put one in the kitchen or somewhere else in the house for a TV.. I for sure will have use for extra 1080p panels with an HDMI input on them.. else I can sell one I guess... Basically I wanted to try eyefinity out without having to spend too much and totally reconfigure my desk.. this seemed like a good way to do it. anyways...

yeah.. in windows the extreme wide look doesn't bug me at all.. but it can feel like a tennis match getting things dialed in.. windows popping open on the far right and not in the middle.. etc.. In game the HUD elements on extreme sides is going to take some getting used to... it was something I didn't really think about until I saw it first hand.. it's for sure weird, not a deal breaker or anything.. Plus I can move lotro's HUD elements anywhere I want, so that's all good.. what you saw in the pic was 60 seconds of moving stuff.. it's no finaly config by any means.. But for some games, it's just not an option to mod the HUD, so I'm hoping with time better support for multi monitor gaming options comes along.. I think it will be necessary once this becomes more common in the PC gaming community.

Thanks! it's a real trip gaming with such a wide field of view.. I really can't wait for the weekend to come so I can geek out on it for a solid day and get to know it better. :) I guess in the end, if I don't like I can go back to old faithful (westy) ;).

edit: cleaned my desk up a little and got things more dialed in.. abandoned the under desk drawer so I stay closer to the monitors... totally forgot about my mini deck, heh.. love this little guy.
P1010611.jpg

How long have you had that DeCK keyboard ? and have you ever had problems with it?

yeah.. in windows the extreme wide look doesn't bug me at all.. but it can feel like a tennis match getting things dialed in.. windows popping open on the far right and not in the middle.. etc..

Yeah I use Eyefinity 100% now. I have become used to it and know exactly where the windows will pop up. Took me a little while to get used to it but I couldn't go back now. if i did it would feel like I was looking at a 15" monitor.

I am now back on a 23" Dell with 2 more in the mail.

I'm aware of how larger screens vs 3 screens works... I used to have a single 24" (with "more" picture as you call it, 1920*1200) and went to the 32" TV (with "less" picture, 1920*1080) and the gaming experience is magnitudes better thanks to the "bigger picture".

for a second I thought you used your mouse with your left hand.... but then I thought, it really doesn't matter. Because I hate you.

Seriously though that is an amazing set up there.

Yes I am a lefty, lol... and thank you. :p

--

Frraksurred, are those FHD2401's?

No Sir. They are the XHD3000's (30", see sig). I did have a FHD2400 previously, so I know what you're talking about concerning the black levels. WAY out there, lol.

--

Thanks all for the compliments. It is still a work in progress. "Fire" is just about to get some i7 lovin' so I can go Crossfire to help manage the crazy res. Anyone interested can check out the whole sorted worklog here. The project started back in 2008.

How long have you had that DeCK keyboard ? and have you ever had problems with it?

I just had to check on that... I ordered it Oct 5th 2005! Never had an issue with it at all.. it's built like a tank, works and looks great. lil small for everyday typing though.. I'll probably go back to my Saitek cyborg or put the G19 on this machine when we move and I re-org the office.

I am useing this connector ..

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=5135&seq=1&format=2

which is VGA so i decided to keep my DVI ports off card the same useing standard VGA/DVI video card connectors so all 3 LCD's are doing VGA at 5760 x 1080 and i can't tell much diffrents other then no HDCP for Blu-Ray.. I don't run the deaktop in eyefinity because i get the flickers in 5760 x1080 but gaming is smooth..

For COD 4 /WaW/ MW 2 you will need to use widescreen fixer here to get the FOV right..

http://imk.cx/pc/widescreenfixer/

Using that program wouldn't get you banned in certain games like MW2? or its safe?

Using that program wouldn't get you banned in certain games like MW2? or its safe?

I have played MP with the fixer. and have had no problems . the fixer located in that link is broke for MW2 after Infinity ward updated the MW2 . The developer has provided a Beta. Here

I'll have to get some shots while playing, and plus with my G25, but this should give you the idea:

rigfrig.jpg

There are some in-game 7680x1600 shots in my Screen Shot Thread if interested. Specs in sig.

There are some nice setups here, kudos gentlemen (and ladies if present).

HO LY crap. thats a nice looking setup there. the audio looks ignorant lol. the more i see these eyefinity setups the more im thining of switching to ati.

has anyone tried using eyefinity with a crossfire setup? I was debating getting 2x5770's and trying it out if it will even work

has anyone tried using eyefinity with a crossfire setup? I was debating getting 2x5770's and trying it out if it will even work

Currently have 2xHD5850 and 3xP2310Hs

having to run 9.12HF drivers... some day 10.2 will come out and fix all the CF + EF issues

Oh and not all games work with CF + EF... but most

Currently have 2xHD5850 and 3xP2310Hs

having to run 9.12HF drivers... some day 10.2 will come out and fix all the CF + EF issues

Oh and not all games work with CF + EF... but most

Do you have to use a Display Port adapter when you're using 3 monitors on two cards, or is the display port adapter only necessary for 3 monitors on one card?

Do you have to use a Display Port adapter when you're using 3 monitors on two cards, or is the display port adapter only necessary for 3 monitors on one card?

P2310Hs have display ports on them ;)

I plug everything into one card(top)... 2 dvi and one DP

P2310Hs have display ports on them ;)

I plug everything into one card(top)... 2 dvi and one DP

Ah, that's convenient, but I'm still curious if you could do 2 DVI on one card and a third DVI on the other card without using any display port for Eyefinity, since if that's the case I won't have to spend $100 for an adapter for my CrossFireX Eyefinity setup. Do you know off the top of your head if it's possible? I guess I'll find out in a few days either way once my parts all get here.

Ah, that's convenient, but I'm still curious if you could do 2 DVI on one card and a third DVI on the other card without using any display port for Eyefinity, since if that's the case I won't have to spend $100 for an adapter for my CrossFireX Eyefinity setup. Do you know off the top of your head if it's possible? I guess I'll find out in a few days either way once my parts all get here.

I was under the assumption that if you have the crossfire bridged(aka for performance), the only ports that will work is on a single card, (generally the top card)

but if you dont bridge them.. then you could run up to 6 monitors or 4 on one and 4 on the other using the DVI ports

BUT again this isn't facts this is just the assumption that I am currently under

When I get home I could try it out... PM me if you want me to...

Nope, you need either native display port or an display port active adapter.

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/Display_Connectivity.pdf

I just proved it tonight... as far as my testing went...I couldn't get a monitor from any port on the second card to display, I had to have all monitors plugged into the top card(not sure how the computer knows it is the "top" card)(I am sure I could have tried a 100 more things but I didn't think it would make a difference)

Sorry man, good luck with your system build. just have to spend a little more for that adapter

So, why can't they make a damn card with 3 DVI? Can't be that damn difficult. Almost an apple move. "If you want eyefinity, you need one of these $100 adapters. Sorry chump."

So, why can't they make a damn card with 3 DVI? Can't be that damn difficult. Almost an apple move. "If you want eyefinity, you need one of these $100 adapters. Sorry chump."
Just get a hdmi to dvi adapter. It costs just as much as a dvi cable...

Eyefinity requires active displayport to dvi adapters which cost around 100 bucks. Regular conversion cables wont work, last I checked.

Last edited:
Eyefinity requires active hdmi to dvi adapters which cost around 100 bucks. Regular hdmi to dvi cables wont work, last I checked.

The only requirement as far as connections go to support Eyefinity is one panel with a Native DisplayPort . or a displayport adapter.

The connections go in the top card.

I posted the connection requirements.

You can use whatever you want HDMI, DVI ,VGA. as long as you have one monitor that is native display port ,or an active DP adapter.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard... Wow, shame shame amd...

yep i have been saying this for a while...eyefinity, while awesome it seems, has the setup options only a retard could love.

why implement a feature which requires 3 monitors and then not have 3 identical output connectors on the videocards required to run this wonderful new feature? i have 3 identical monitors, but i need $100 adapter so that i can use one of them? bullshit...

there should be 3 dvi or 3 hdmi....and if you must push this crap, add a single displayport but keep it out of the requirement to be one of the displays in eyfinity. i hate displayport to begin with...very few brand new monitors even have it! almost every lcd has a dvi or hdmi though.

The answer was stated very bluntly by an ATI dev a long time ago. Basically, the entire Eyefinity feature was hastily added in by a team of two people under strict time and budget restrictions. The options were to roll with the half-baked setup we have now or scrap the whole thing. All things considered, this is better than the alternative.

Back