Post Your Connection Speed

530420027.png

Optimum wanted to rape me after being with them a year now but calling to cancel and they gave me a "new" deal that just came in, but here's my little connections. :D

Sparkyy,

How come your speed.io image has my domain in it ? Is it just that everyone gets to see their own domain ? Or are speed.io using my domain for something ?

Simon

Sparkyy,

How come your speed.io image has my domain in it ? Is it just that everyone gets to see their own domain ? Or are speed.io using my domain for something ?

Simon

algx.net is just a simple lookup entry that XO Communications uses. If you decide to change your lookup, you can do so under your XO customer portal.

Ok, now I'm really confused :)

What I meant was: the image at http://speed.io/pics/2264/5620/speed.io.png has text within it saying 'provider: gornall.net'.

I get the same text if *I* do it from home (the server is sitting in my garage), but I'd not expect anyone else to be using it, unless that text is completely dynamic, and is regenerated every time someone requests the image. It doesn't look like that's the case given the URL though.

So, I was curious as to why someone was using 'gornall.net' for bandwidth tests and what that involved...

I actually came by this forum just looking up info from people who've used a Peplink 380 (which I've just bought :) and as I type, comcast are installing two of their high-speed business links :) If I'm being used for bandwidth tests, I'd sort of like to know... On the other hand, if it's a DNS lookup or ping or something, I really don't care :)

Simon.

Sparkyy,

Simon

Ok, now I'm really confused :)

What I meant was: the image at http://speed.io/pics/2264/5620/speed.io.png has text within it saying 'provider: gornall.net'.

I get the same text if *I* do it from home (the server is sitting in my garage), but I'd not expect anyone else to be using it, unless that text is completely dynamic, and is regenerated every time someone requests the image. It doesn't look like that's the case given the URL though.

So, I was curious as to why someone was using 'gornall.net' for bandwidth tests and what that involved...

I actually came by this forum just looking up info from people who've used a Peplink 380 (which I've just bought :) and as I type, comcast are installing two of their high-speed business links :) If I'm being used for bandwidth tests, I'd sort of like to know... On the other hand, if it's a DNS lookup or ping or something, I really don't care :)

Simon.

Honestly not really sure where or how you got 'gornall.net' from my image, when I look at it I don't see that listed there unless it is elsewhere. :confused: Probably just doing a DNS lookup as opposed to running speed tests off your line.

Got Verizon FiOS installed a few days ago. Loving it, but the upload speeds aren't what I'm supposed to be getting. I'm paying for 25/15, but I'm provisioned for 25/25 (confirmed by Verizon themselves.)

I have the Verizon router in Bridge Mode and using my PFSense router. Anyone have any ideas? Think I should talk with tech support?

Got Verizon FiOS installed a few days ago. Loving it, but the upload speeds aren't what I'm supposed to be getting. I'm paying for 25/15, but I'm provisioned for 25/25 (confirmed by Verizon themselves.)

I have the Verizon router in Bridge Mode and using my PFSense router. Anyone have any ideas? Think I should talk with tech support?

Well you are testing with a server 200 miles away.

Well you are testing with a server 200 miles away.

Those are the best results out of any server. DC and NY seem to have highest bandwidth. The closest server on speedtest.net seems to either have a cap on it, or it's just defective, it won't even max out my download speed.

Here is a 1050 mile-away server, as you can see, distance doesn't really change much. I'd attribute the lower upload to it being during the day, though.

Bittorrent confirms that I peak about around 8-9mbps (1-1.1 MBytes/sec.)

Last edited:

Love that ping time. Turns out the suggested server is located in the same colo that I use. Imagine my surprise at my upload/download speeds...

School network. with blocked sites. *running on VMware*
554646938.png

Iphone for those blocks sites *on my desktop*

^ This speed is pretty much constant 24/7, I suspect my Universities bandwidth is waayy more than what can pass through the wiring in my building. Sucks that if I want to get my Xbox online my router can only handle 50mbps of throughput.

Home speed

Did i really just see you put 50Mbps and 'Only' in the same sentence? when your talking net connection.. those two words should NEVER go together.. *glares with envy*

taken a while a go. Our linuxbox is having some trouble with one of the netcards so download isn't more than 55 mbps :( been doing 95mbps and suspect it will soon again.

using iphone 3gs don't know why it show the server as being so far away. must be some routing.

Playing with some bandwidth shaping last night at work :D

559415153.png

559408496.png

taken a while a go. Our linuxbox is having some trouble with one of the netcards so download isn't more than 55 mbps :( been doing 95mbps and suspect it will soon again.

using iphone 3gs don't know why it show the server as being so far away. must be some routing.

i hate you both....:p

ninja edit:
here's my work at the moment. we actually do quite a bit of webserving out of our local DC so the upload is a smidge low due to traffic and being midday etc....

569761862.png

My neighbours wifi from my back deck.
(The speed is worse from the recommended server.)

Work:
571858158.png

Four bonded T1's at the moment. Soon to move to fiber at 20mb during the day and 50mb at night (for offsite backup purposes).

Back