Post Your Connection Speed

I finally got around to testing at home - we just got moved to another ISP, but it seems we've kept the 50/50 FTTP line.

1108946115.png

Ehh we pay for 5meg. Can only get this and its wireless.. Best connection we ever had was the wireless. we used dialup for years

I finally got around to testing at home - we just got moved to another ISP, but it seems we've kept the 50/50 FTTP line.

1108946115.png

Damn, I wish I could get a connection like that here. I would save a lot in hosting costs. Could just host everything at home. :D

It's quite nice - though not super-stable, so you'd be limited to non-critical things. ;)
(I've hosted things from here now and then, and it is extremely convenient to just poke a hole in the firewall and point it at apache on my linux laptop.)

even now (~6:30pm) I'm still getting badass speeds:

Anyone still on the fence for FiOS, well get off the fence! this is BIG :p

I wish Sky would get Fibre already. Virgin have it all over here and BT are just rolling out some shoddy Fibre called Infinity, that's going to 'compete', however, speeds up to 40mb are most likely going to be 25-35 tops and only 2mb up....

I was having a really hard time finding a speedtest place that wasn't rate limiting me... but here's our 100mb connection from AboveNet. They don't rate limit us, but we have 100mb guaranteed. This is passing through our redundant Gig links from our main office to our colo facility.

Here is mine at work this is our General use 10/10 meg connection and we have a second 6/6 meg used for just web hosting.

Here is mine at home 10/2 Cable from local Municipal Utilities.

Last edited:
Will getting an Intel NIC help lower my ping of 32ms? What are some tips to lower latency?

crisu, I WANT YOUR FIBER!

That being said, I got upgraded Road Runner Turbo for free. :)

I was getting about 6Mbps~ before, so this pretty much rocks for the same amount of money. :D

I don't get it...this powerboost shit makes no sense. Give me a true indicator. Please. I am paying for 6MBIT with Powerboost to 12. Why is it doing this? I don't have fiber..

Edit: Okay, after some conversion I downloaded a 100MB File and got 906KB/sec. Converting that to 7 Mbps is around 875 KB/sec...so....I am getting a little better than I am paying for. Can't wait for that 25 Mbps that I ordered on Tuesday ;)

Last edited:
Will getting an Intel NIC help lower my ping of 32ms? What are some tips to lower latency?
That won't affect your ping time, as you can get >1ms ping time with practically any NIC on your local LAN. I don't know of any latency tips off-hand, but the folks over at dslreports.com are pretty passionate about such subjects. ;)

can you get U-Verse? Those are terrible speeds for cable.

LoL, well, I'm an employee of TWC, and don't pay for it, so I'm not going to complain. we're supposed to get the Docsis 3.0 50/15, I think soon. Don't quote me on the upload, but something like that.

Just got 25/2 DSL - I'll try and get a post when I can. They need to tweak the cables, I'm not running at full yet. Paying for 25, got 21 last night. I am 4 short :(

Snap, even clear across the US I still get fantastic ping times:

Local:
1174529379.png

Gotta <3 FiOS :D

This is what I get now with Timewarner, still wishing for better upload speeds. But it looks like my download is getting worse too.

My home cable connection, 18 down / 2 Up, hardwired to my wireless router. SpeedTest.net really baffles me when it comes to the actual speed tests...as these tests below show. Such a large fluctuation in the speeds...

So, to get a real idea of what my connection is tooling along at, I usually just log on to a torrent site that I use that has a minimum upload rate requirement..that way I know I can max my download speed...and it usually clocks in in uTorrent @ 1.8 - 2.4 MB/s...so well within my advertised range..

100 Mile Test

1850 Mile Test

800 Mile Test

Thats Power boost kicking in. Most cable companies give you a temporary boost for the first 50-100 MB. So the test file for speedtest.net is very small and your powerboost is affecting or skewing the numbers.

Just got 25/2 DSL - I'll try and get a post when I can. They need to tweak the cables, I'm not running at full yet. Paying for 25, got 21 last night. I am 4 short :(
25/2 DSL? Who is your carrier? The only DSL at that speed I thought was VDSL.

Ah, nice Mountain Cable/Shaw 100/5 in Hamilton, amazing speeds but it's only 350GB a month. I'm sure most people here would blow through that in a day if they wanted!

I'm stuck with TekSavvy DSL 5mbit/800k with unlimited monthly transfers.
It's rock solid with very consistent speeds and the pings are always low so it's been great for me.

I can't wait until TekSavvy starts selling cable here in Kitchener and than I'll have 15/1 Cable @ 300gb/month, or maybe even go with the unlimited package.
I usually go over just 200gb/month so perhaps that is overkill!

Back