• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Post your "Best Game Ever"

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
7,280
Was reading some "best game ever" lists and wondering what people here think. No poll so it's not limited. What do you think the best game ever is? I'm going to say..

StarCraft.


with Ikaruga a close second.
 
I don't think it's possible to list just one.

off the top of my head....

Rise of nations.
 
Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis

Though if you base it on playing time then it has to be World of WarCraft.
 
Singleplayer: ??? Who plays singleplayer....those with 56k who are losers!!!! lol jk

Multiplayer: Battlefield 2
 
single player or multiplayer, any game from WoW to bejewelled.

also, base it on how well you think the game is crafted, not just playing time. If it was playing time I'd be forced to say FF7 I think
 
BarneyGumble said:
Super Monkey Ball 2
This is my "best game ever" pick because it is very unique, simple and challenging. I'm hoping for a Super Monkey Ball 3 on the revolution.
 
The very best game I have played is:

Betrayal at Krondor



Damn was that a great game, might be the best RPG to date. The sequels sucked balls though. The music in the game was soooo good, thats if you had General Midi or some other wavetable synthesis. The CD-ROM version had the music in audio tracks and the voice was spoken, I never played that version, just the 3.5" disk version.

There is another game thats older yet, it was a space RPG. Damn, I can't remember the name, it was good too.
 
Planescape:Torment - like playing a novel. By far the most engaging game experience I've had...and the only RPG I seem to pull out of the box every year or so to run through it again.
 
Day of the Tentacle OR Secret of Monkey Island

I like DOTT cause the puzzles ruled (and the story) but I also just have a soft spot for Guybrush "I'm selling these fine leather jackets" Threepwood
 
I forgot about day of the tentacle!! My dad got me a christmas present one year that had: LOOM
Secret of Monkey Island
Zak Mcracken
Indiana Jones
One other...can't remember


But they kept me entertained for a good while. I would like to see more adventure games come out...but I hear its a dead genre.
 
WorldRunner said:
I don't think it's possible to list just one.

off the top of my head....

Rise of nations.

Another vote for Rise of Nations. I remember playing for a while, having to work the next day.... Get into the game, and finally win (of course all my memories are me winning, how convenient!)... 4am. Have to work at 6:30. Very addictive game. Very. Graphics were good for a RTS, but they really don't need to be. It just had all the great elements of a good RTS. Very well implemented.
 
Warcraft 2. I spent countless hours playing the single player, then when I discovered the joys of IPX networks Kali FTW!, and modem to modem gameplay, It was like I had just discovered the game for the first time, all over again.
 
Dang it's gotta be Oddworld: Abe's Oddysse. This game brought me back to gaming
 
riot8ap said:
Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire (Old Graphical DOS game where u had to enter your commands in text)
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
The Secret of Monkey Island
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis KICKASS Game


I'd have to say I loved the Space Quest by Sierra series also


I loved the old Sierra, they were the best development group back in the day. I played every King's, Space, Hero's and Police Quest game. Those games were amazing, so much fun and it made you learn how to type and think, unlike todays games. I wish Sierra today was like the Sierra 15 years ago.
 
The ORIGINAL Bard's Tale, a late 80's RPG by EA when they were just getting started.
 
On a console or PC? LOL

Lets see

Atari 2600: Star Raiders
Atari 5200: Countermeasure
Commodore 128 (C64 mode 90% of the time): Silent Service or F15 Strike Eagle
PC: uh too many: Half-life, Wing Commander Series, X-wing Series, Close Combat Series...list goes on
 
GT98 said:
Silent Service

Wow that brings back memories ... thats the old sub game right ?

If its the game im thinking off, I can still see that 2D destroyer heading right for me.
 
Lunar: Silver Star Story (originally on SegaCD, later ported to Playstation with better graphics, more voice acting, and anime cut scenes, I like the Playstation version more).
 
Draax said:
Wow that brings back memories ... thats the old sub game right ?

If its the game im thinking off, I can still see that 2D destroyer heading right for me.


Yep...it was the first game I played on my Commodore 128 when I got it for Christmas just over 20 years ago ;)

Silent Service 2 was pretty good also for the PC and Silent Hunter 3 is the spiritual successor to them.
 
Multiplayer wise I will have to say Call of Duty 1, CODUO, COD2. Well GW was on my list too but got boring. Singleplayer wise I will have to say MOHAA an d COD1. Have not finished the COD2 sp yet no time.
 
Half-Life 1 - Original

Great single-player story.

MP: never really gets old tons of mods......

it is a great series... and should continue to be.
 
Going to have to say Halo1 for consoles.. i must have replayed that game at least 15 times just something about the combat i loved.
pc's.. it's tough but maybe world of warcraft because it just consumes so much of my time and thoughts
 
I really liked Freedom Fighters for the GC. Far Cry was good too.

Something about killing corrupt government officials who pervert our Constitution and Bill of Rights really floats my boat :D


Oh, i suppose I'll be the bad guy and say it.....for multi CS:S is good.
 
AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
Half-Life 1 - Original

Great single-player story.

MP: never really gets old tons of mods......

it is a great series... and should continue to be.


I agree, I have spent more time on HL1 than any other game ever.
I would like to see a HL2 mod that made it feel more like HL1-DM.
 
hmm.. there are so many really great games..

i guess one would be everquest, it's only game that kept me coming back for years, it still wants me to play today!
 
Yoshmaista said:
Deus Ex, with Starcraft RIGHT behind and FF6 pulling a close third.

Thats a good list .... can I change my all time favorite. :D
 
Kinda funny to see most replies are for games made within the last 10 or so years.
 
Strategy - Civilization 1
FPS - Doom 1
Space - Freespace
RTS - Starcraft
RPG - Zelda
Sports - NHL 95 for Genesis
 
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2

Great mix of puzzles,RPG,action, and great graphics(for the time)...

Also I think it was one of the first 3D games...before doom & wolfy 3d.

:)
 
Back
Top