Possible to transfer OS and files to another HD?

equalme

Gawd
I have a WD Raptor 150GB hard drive with all my files and a OS installed on it. I have another WD Raptor 150GB that is completely brand new which I am trying to see if it is possible for me to transfer everything into it without having to do a complete OS reinstall. Both hard drives are completely the same.

The reason I need to do this is because I need to return the one that is running in my computer. I cannot return the new one because the serial number is different.

Thanks,
Anthony

nortans ghost.

I've never personally done it but a friend of mine says its a godsend.

I prefer Ghost as well, but most drive manufacturer's have free tools on their website that handle basic cloning tasks.

For me Acronis is the best drive imaging software. I was a one time user of Norton and find Acronis far superior. You can download the free trial version here. With the trial version you can easily clone your entire hard drive or just partitions.

Question is though, does Acronis clone partitions through the operating system or outside of it? I have a RAID volume which is fairly fluttery right now and I'd like to back up a few files.

Question is though, does Acronis clone partitions through the operating system or outside of it? I have a RAID volume which is fairly fluttery right now and I'd like to back up a few files.

The initial setup is done through the interface inside windows. When the processs begins it has to reboot and actually do the process outside of windows on a block by block basis.

Done it plenty of times with arrays, Acronis doesnt disappoint...

Best practice is if and when you install the Windows-based client software for True Image, use the Start Menu options to create the recovery CD. That has True Image on it, bootable, and when it runs it looks exactly like the Windows application itself, works exactly the same, and when you boot off the CD and use it, there's no issues whatsoever. That's my preferred method of making images, but...

I've been using True Image's "live image" ability - making images of a Windows installation that's actually up and running - for over 2 years now, thousands of images across a huge variety of hardware - and I've never lost a single bit of information or data. True Image rules... Simple. :D

I've been using True Image's "live image" ability - making images of a Windows installation that's actually up and running - for over 2 years now, thousands of images across a huge variety of hardware - and I've never lost a single bit of information or data. True Image rules... Simple.
Another vote for Acronis.
I've even used an old live image on a new install with a different chipset (went from AMD to Intel).
Acronis has saved my buns many-a-time.
It it was a female, I'd probably ask her to marry me. :D

I've been using True Image's "live image" ability - making images of a Windows installation that's actually up and running - for over 2 years now, thousands of images across a huge variety of hardware - and I've never lost a single bit of information or data. True Image rules... Simple. :D

DriveImageXML does that too, and it's free.

As another benefit (and one I just learned) DriveImageXML can be used in BartPE, just like I have been using Ghost.

Back