Portuguese Government Using Honeypots To Catch Pirates

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Portuguese government is now using honeypots to catch pirates? Portuguese honeypots? If that doesn't conjure up a bad image, I don't know what will. :eek:

Rights holders often take extreme measures to combat piracy, but that a Government institution creates a ‘pirate’ honeypot is quite exceptional. In Portugal, a collaboration between a Ministry of Culture affiliated organization and the local music industry has resulted in a protocol that calls for such a honeypot, in order to shame, scare and threaten those who download music without authorization.

Soon to be followed by Portuguese honeypots 2: The search for more muff

filhoes da puta...hehe

meh my homeland is more backwards than i thought. just use a proxy or vpn and your "tubo bem":D

in order to shame, scare and threaten those who download music without authorization.

Dear _________

On the 4th of March 2011, our records state that you downloaded Beiber the best of, along with Micheal Jacksons thriller and Disco - The golden years without being a member of the club. Unless you pay us $10000 we'll be telling all your family and friends that you are weird and like weirdos. You'll never have another job or friends. Ha!

Yours,

The RIAA and friends.

With no benefit to the average citizen, a group of corporations now have a department of the government acting as a private police force, with enforcers lurking the dark corners of the internet waiting to strike.

And the average citizens have to pony up to pay for it. I wonder if the people of Portugal could think of a better way to spend their tax dollars that would make them feel more secure as citizens.

‘honeypots’ is used to describe sites and services that are specifically set up to lure people into downloading copyrighted files

i guess entrapment isn't illegal over there then....

Its always nice to see a government getting their priorities right. :rolleyes:

Honeypots are dummy security systems that are meant to PROTECT a network, not attack unsuspecting piraters in an illegal, entrapment like manner....

Why does the government have to pay and lead an anti-piracy act that should and could easily be paid for by the billionaires that run the entertainment industry???? They need to spend a few of their "hard earned bucks" :rolleyes: and create/pay for the development of a new system that will stop piracy

Pooh-Pirate.jpg

This just in. 1st criminal caught!

Why does the government have to pay and lead an anti-piracy act that should and could easily be paid for by the billionaires that run the entertainment industry???? They need to spend a few of their "hard earned bucks" :rolleyes: and create/pay for the development of a new system that will stop piracy

haha hahhahha.... HAA AHAAH HAHAHAHAHA HAAAHAAAAA!!!

*pshhhh* they did, they purchased their own friendly government official via "marketing dollars" :p

Its always nice to see a government getting their priorities right. :rolleyes:

Considering how the economy is over there, I would have to agree. We've got the CRTC over here and a stinky honeypot back at the motherland trying to police the internetz. Esta merda esta fudido.

So much damage being done to the portuguese language in this thread...

As for the "news" itself, it comes as no surprise. Also, entrapment is illegal in Portugal, but with all the corruption and the failure that is the justice system, I'm sure "they'll" find a way to make it legal just this time...

Back