Portal by Valve

Enigma said:
I stand corrected...... that is some cool shit so in reality both of them are rip offs ;) I am sorry for not researching first. I must have missed that game

No. valve's isnt a ripoff. They hired a few of the guys that made the game in digipen, and those people probably helped on this project. So in reality, it's their own concept taken further with valve, not a ripoff

Syphon Filter said:
I disagree...

It's just that people can tell the difference between a gimmick and real innovation.
bingo. Doom 3 was beautiful. Quake 4 was even better, with the best sound I have ever heard in a game. Prey dropped the ball on the graphics I think (Doom 3 can look better), but it was OK.

Half-Life 2 sported Source, which was awesome in its own way, but honestly which game is funner, HL2 or Doom 3? Which would you play again? Nuff said.

Doom 3 is pretty, thats all. Source is pretty too, but can do every thing else it takes to make an amazing game too ;)

man ... this game looks like a real keeper

i think valve might have something here!

HighwayAssassins said:
Doom 3 is pretty, thats all. Source is pretty too, but can do every thing else it takes to make an amazing game too ;)

Almost...

HighwayAssassins said:
Doom 3 is quite pretty, thats all. Source is very pretty, but can do every thing else it takes to make an amazing game too ;)

Better...;) :p

I would have to say that HL2 had better sound than D3/ Q4. It's the first game I've played that actually had explosions done right. Not to mention the echos. :cool:

Eagle156 said:
I would have to say that HL2 had better sound than D3/ Q4. It's the first game I've played that actually had explosions done right. Not to mention the echos. :cool:
you dont have an x-fi, do you?

Techx said:
Everyone seems to be jumping on this "prey's portals are just doorways" bandwagon.. well, no, they aren't doorways, they are portals.. If you played through prey you'll have found a few areas where the portals were movable, the portal is in one room, you press a button, it moves into the room you are currently in, you jump into it, etc. You can't do that with a doorway which are stationary objects connecting two rooms. But I'm not disbuting the fact that what valve is doing is 100 times cooler. People may deny it but it's obvious that the CS/HL/Valve fan_boy's will consistantly bash anything ID/Quake/Doom Engine related, regardless if it's good or not :/

I played Quake 3 competitively for 3 years on a very high level. That game had a fun factor that these "high poly, high resolution texture" ID and 3DRealms games simply lack. They stress too much the lighting and the goofy looking models, in Prey the headache-inducing gravity changes and the spirit form. These things simply don't work in a multiplayer game, and get boring after a while in the single player game.

HighwayAssassins said:
you dont have an x-fi, do you?

If he doesn't, I do. And HL2 still sounds worlds better. EAX has really nothing to do with explosions and other main audio effects in games, just reverb effects.

krameriffic said:
I played Quake 3 competitively for 3 years on a very high level. That game had a fun factor that these "high poly, high resolution texture" ID and 3DRealms games simply lack. They stress too much the lighting and the goofy looking models, in Prey the headache-inducing gravity changes and the spirit form. These things simply don't work in a multiplayer game, and get boring after a while in the single player game.

if you think prey was headache inducing well your in for a treat with portal, lol.. from the looks of the teaser vid it looks even more disorienting.. whatever though, I'm tired of arguing points on forums, i just look forward to ep2 and all the other goodies they have in store for us :D

You know some people get motion sickness from playing a simple FPS. Think this will make it worse for thouse? If so, I can't wait for the first person to puke all over themselves and their computer when this comes out. It's going to be hallarious.....well for me atleast.

IcedEmotion said:
This looks like a gimmick that will get old fast.

your not thinking about all the user created levels...I can think up some fun puzzles just now

This looks great! I'm really looking forward to playing some of this. Something fresh done right. :)

Hmm. Definitely looks like a keeper, but everyone seems to forget where 3D portals came from first.... IT WAS SERIOUS SAM!! Yes, it was only used as a door like prey, but it was done somewhere else first.. So NYEAH!!

Anyways, this and team fortress and episode two look awesome, I can't wait for the next package.

after seeing this people who say pc gaming is dying are just dump, now we ahve tf2, portal, and spore.

anyone have a release date for this thing, other then fall 06

Valve seemed like they were stagnating for a while there. Then episode 1 came out and I was pretty impressed with the maturity of the puzzles. Some of them you couldn't just run through, you had to *gasp* think. Thereby renewing my hope that Valve is back on track to produce something revolutionary, not just a sequel following a formula from a game made 9 years ago.

The combination of Portal/HL2/TF2 is absolutely epic, each one of these could be sold as stand-alone games, but each complements each other so well as a package. Portal is the leap forward, HL2 is the progression of the HL gameplay, and TF2 (should) be a true remake of a classic. You have the past/present/future of Valve being presented in one very cool looking, extremely hype worthy package.

first off get wear i am coming from, i can play cs:s quake ut2k4 and other for hours on end and have an absolute blast, i love roller coasters and dips in the raod, but i downlaoded the narbacular drop game(which they released for free, google it)_ and played it for maybe 15 minutes, im typing this message as fast as i can because i think i am going to throw up all over the keyboard. it is super disorienting. when put one portl on a wall and then another one one the cealing, the motion of falling thoguhg and turning and spinning makes me super queezy.

i am still looking foreward to the new game, but i hope somehow they can figure out how to stop the motion sicknes of it, prolly not, for those of you that can deal with it more power to you

lozaning said:
...the motion of falling thoguhg and turning and spinning makes me super queezy.

You should try some travel sickness tablets and let us know how that works out.
:D

Motion sickness eh, try waiting for the game to be released before making the assumption you will get sick by playing. Its true though some people can't handle those types of games, but I can. :)

lozaning said:
first off get wear i am coming from, i can play cs:s quake ut2k4 and other for hours on end and have an absolute blast, i love roller coasters and dips in the raod, but i downlaoded the narbacular drop game(which they released for free, google it)_ and played it for maybe 15 minutes, im typing this message as fast as i can because i think i am going to throw up all over the keyboard. it is super disorienting. when put one portl on a wall and then another one one the cealing, the motion of falling thoguhg and turning and spinning makes me super queezy.

i am still looking foreward to the new game, but i hope somehow they can figure out how to stop the motion sicknes of it, prolly not, for those of you that can deal with it more power to you

Narbacular Drop is really beta tech demo stuff so yeah it isn't as polished as it's going to be in Portal. I didn't take the game as a representation of what Portal will exactly be like but more as a rough cut.

Mazgazine1 said:
Hmm. Definitely looks like a keeper, but everyone seems to forget where 3D portals came from first.... IT WAS SERIOUS SAM!!
Wheel of Time had "portals" in the sense that you're thinking of them, and that was in 1999, ~2 years before Serious Sam. In fact, all Unreal engine games (I think) had the capability to do this. Duke3D's Build engine allowed you to do exactly the same thing ten years ago - as was the case in Doom, rooms couldn't be stacked on top of each other, and it had to be faked using a similar technique. Descent was the first game I know of to use portal rendering, back in 1995.

As far as I know, all FPSs use portals these days (might be some exceptions where the games are set entirely outdoors). It's just very rarely implemented into gameplay or used for otherwise-impossible level design - it's intended as a rendering optimisation. For example, a door connects two rooms. The rooms are sectors, the door is a portal. When you're in one sector, the portal makes it easy for the engine to determine which parts of the other sector are visible, and the rest is ignored. Many engines will allow sectors to be connected when it disagrees with the level geometry (ie. the rooms aren't actually next to each other). From a rendering perspective it's no different from any other doorway, and teleporting you at the interface is pretty trivial.

Prey and Portal (and, of course, Narbacular Drop) use a much more dynamic system than anything else out there (as far as I know), but fundamentally it's the same thing. It's not really a new idea, it's just a novel implementation. Portals have been around for over a decade.

Yes, but the idea of implementing physics through portals is a good twist. And of course the idea of dynamically creating portals during gameplay instead of stationary fixed position portals. I don't know why, but portals remind me of some of the puzzels in the Zelda games. if this idea takes off I could see alot of games adding this feature to the actual gameplay.

I have been totally corrected, now that I remeber, uhh didn't Unreal have something like that??

Yeah, portals have been used A lot in games, just not 3D 'I can look and shoot through it cool' type thingy.

Quake had muddy portals, but they didn't really do much.Hmm.. Doom kinda had portals, but it was more of a teleportation then a portally thingy?

Mazgazine1 said:
now that I remeber, uhh didn't Unreal have something like that??
Quake had muddy portals, but they didn't really do much.Hmm.. Doom kinda had portals, but it was more of a teleportation then a portally thingy?
You're still missing the point here (don't feel bad... everyone seems to be missing the point - that was the reason for that long-winded lecture on portals (EDIT: and it looks like you're about to get another...)).

Yes, many of these games had "portals" in the fantasy/sci-fi sense of the word, ie. some sort of Stargate-style teleportation device. But this is not usually what portals refer to in the context of video games. When Prey's "advanced portal technology" was being hyped, they're talking about the engine's portal rendering system. Incidentally, the portal rendering is responsible for the "portals" in Prey, as well as the "portals" in Portal (I can see why this is a little confusing...).

Basically, if it's an opening you can look through, it's probably a portal. It doesn't have to teleport you anywhere - these include just about every ordinary average doorway you walk through in an FPS. Conversely, if you can't see through it (like the teleporters in Quake, Doom, Half-Life, and a hundred others) then it isn't a portal in this sense. It's just a teleporter. Unreal did use portals, and I think it did have "portals", but I don't think they used portals for the "portals" the way Wheel of Time did (built on UE1). Could be wrong though. By the way, if you don't think I'm saying portals enough, please, let me know ;) .

Moofasa~ said:
If he doesn't, I do. And HL2 still sounds worlds better. EAX has really nothing to do with explosions and other main audio effects in games, just reverb effects.
I dont know, HL2's sound just seemed a little dry in comparison, and the echoey hallway effects and shit of EAX5 I thought were really impressive...

megabyte said:
Valve seemed like they were stagnating for a while there. Then episode 1 came out and I was pretty impressed with the maturity of the puzzles. Some of them you couldn't just run through, you had to *gasp* think. .

true that man, im still not done with the game but i hard a hard time in the water room lol, got through it though

xLiquidx said:
Motion sickness eh, try waiting for the game to be released before making the assumption you will get sick by playing. Its true though some people can't handle those types of games, but I can. :)

did you bother to read all of wha ti said. i told you all that their first game makes me feel sick, but i hope that they can someone how get rid of that effect. i never said that portal would amke me sick. i hope it doesnt, as i think the game will be very fun.

lozaning said:
...but i hope that they can someone how get rid of that effect....
easy. the reason you feel sick is the viewing angle. you are used to 90 degrees and HL2 is 100 degrees or something. It makes for a more realistic experience, but some people get motion sickness; like you.

a simple console command will clear it right up, just change the viewing angle to "standard" and you will be fine.

You will have to look up the command on your own...i dont know it

EDIT: you werent talking about HL2 were you?

HighwayAssassins said:
I dont know, HL2's sound just seemed a little dry in comparison, and the echoey hallway effects and shit of EAX5 I thought were really impressive...

Well to be fair Quake 4 is the only game that uses EAX 5. I believe Doom 3 only uses EAX 4. A lot of games use 128 hardware voices and few even support X-RAM (which makes them "X-Fi Games") but do not use EAX 5 (for example, BF2 supports 128 hardware voices and X-RAM but only uses EAX 3).

This maybe a stretch since nobody has it hands on, but I'm going to say GOTY. This is the kind of game that kicks other Developers right in the ass to rethink what they are doing with their regurgitated game play!

I just made a mess in my pants. Can not fucking wait to play with that.

I'm just thinking of how much fun this could be in dm multiplayer. Throw one over a huge pit then shoot one under someone. Could be real interesting.

Back