Portal by Valve

House Julii said:
OMG!!!! That's so awsome!!!! I wasn't even looking at Episode 2, but now.... OMG, that's going to be amazing. Multiplayer will be mind blowing. It would be cool if that was the only gun you got, and you had to kill people with it. With no rules, the possiblities are endless!!! And when people mod it.....

Finally, an original game!!!!
yeah u gotta fire a portal under someone and another up high to kill em.

Enigma said:
Valve Portal = Ripoff Prey had this first. valve though this shit was cool and so they took the idea and modified it just a little bit (by adding a gun) Valve= Jackasses

Sure they ripped Prey off, but this will be more fun. Besides the portals are mcuh better in here. And it's not even an FPS.

I just played that narbacular drop and that's a pretty mind scrapping game. Very beta but still pretty fun

I remember seeing portal gun mods for quake1, only they required that there be something on the other side (shoot once) instead of shooting an entry and exit. Neat concept, but I doubt that an entire game of puzzles would get old fast.

No, it was a portal. You couldnt see through it (more like a bluish/blacking sprite that when you walk up to it you teleport to whatever volume is behind it)

I *hate* puzzles, but this looks kinda cool... just hope I dodn't have to 1087239476239864 levels of it :p

Karafias said:
I *hate* puzzles, but this looks kinda cool... just hope I dodn't have to 1087239476239864 levels of it :p

Seems like it will be somewhat short since it comes with EP2 and TF2.

yea, i just saw that on another forum and it looks amazing. i can't wait to try it out.

Better then Prey? You can´t compare. Prey is a game this is just a technology test :).

Different things. Of course it´s inspired by Prey but I am sure it will be original enough :)

This just looks kick ass.

Anyone else think that despite its simplicity, its the best looking thing on source yet?

It's pointless to say that this rips off Prey or vice-versa or whatever, because in Prey, portals are used differently. Prey is a shooter that uses portals and gravity to give a new perspective to the shooting/action...this is more of a first-person puzzle game. Sure, the technology may be similar but the tech is just a means to an end. Prey was original in the sense that it uses its tech to keep you on your toes/disorient you...I know after the demo for Prey I'm definitely going to pick it up.

That video was just neat though...I was already sold on HL2 Ep2. This...this is just a bonus. :)

Very nice. Good to see people are still thinking about including cool gameplay mechanics. :)

im pretty sure the game will ship with some level , but can you imagine doing youre level for that game?

already thinking :D

That looks like a lot of fun. I'm glad that someone is doing something different than all other FPS'.

HighwayAssassins said:
Well, I was telling my friends that prey looked cool, but they needed to use the portals as something other than doorways, otherwise they are just that; doorways.

VALVe, as usual, is the company who is going to get it right.

CANT WAIT!!

Everyone seems to be jumping on this "prey's portals are just doorways" bandwagon.. well, no, they aren't doorways, they are portals.. If you played through prey you'll have found a few areas where the portals were movable, the portal is in one room, you press a button, it moves into the room you are currently in, you jump into it, etc. You can't do that with a doorway which are stationary objects connecting two rooms. But I'm not disbuting the fact that what valve is doing is 100 times cooler. People may deny it but it's obvious that the CS/HL/Valve fan_boy's will consistantly bash anything ID/Quake/Doom Engine related, regardless if it's good or not :/

I saw the preview for this on Ctrl-Alt-Del's homepage. After watching the movie I have to say that I am psyched! I haven't been this excited about a game since I first heard about Oblivion!

The puzzles look amazing and I can't wait to just dick around with the portal gun! It looks unbelievable!

Valve has been on a roll since HL2 as far as I'm concerned. Another job well done.

looks very awesome. i'd be very inclined to now buy episode 2 (haven't played episode 1)

ivzk said:
Valve has been on a roll since HL2 as far as I'm concerned. Another job well done.
dont forget how groundbreaking HL1 was. VALVe has always been on a roll. People bitch and moan about release dates and Steam, but in all honesty, Steam is the best way to distribute a game via internet, and they consistantly make amazing games.

Enigma said:
Valve Portal = Ripoff Prey had this first. valve though this shit was cool and so they took the idea and modified it just a little bit (by adding a gun) Valve= Jackasses

Yeah, they built a game in the.. what.. two weeks that Prey has been out?

krameriffic said:
Yeah, they built a game in the.. what.. two weeks that Prey has been out?

I agree: there's no way Valve could have 'ripped off' Prey, unless someone on the Prey dev team broke their NDA and told Valve about it.

This reminds me of when Doom 3 said that there was going to be a 'gravity gun' in their expansion pack. Everyone thought they were ripping off Half-Life 2, but the Doom 3 dev team had already thought of the idea earlier in the production cycle.

It is possible, however unlikely, that two competetors come up with the same idea. It just depends on who patents/produces it first.

Ninja Edit: Also, don't forget all of the portal jumping that was in the orginal Half-Life. Portal could just be anatural progression from those original portal jumps. Now that they have the technology to do these things, I'm not surprised that they're doing them.

CreganTur said:
I agree: there's no way Valve could have 'ripped off' Prey, unless someone on the Prey dev team broke their NDA and told Valve about it.

This reminds me of when Doom 3 said that there was going to be a 'gravity gun' in their expansion pack. Everyone thought they were ripping off Half-Life 2, but the Doom 3 dev team had already thought of the idea earlier in the production cycle.

It is possible, however unlikely, that two competetors come up with the same idea. It just depends on who patents/produces it first.

Ninja Edit: Also, don't forget all of the portal jumping that was in the orginal Half-Life. Portal could just be anatural progression from those original portal jumps. Now that they have the technology to do these things, I'm not surprised that they're doing them.

Eeeeh Prey has been in development for twelve years and never made secret of it´s portals. Valve had more then enough time to r ip it off. But then everyone that makes fps games rips ID off right :). I mean they are always the same you play in first person you have guns you shoot and blow stuff up ;)

Valve is taking this idea inspired by Prey in one way or another and makes it their own. But it doesn´t look like a game just some demo... Wonder if people who get to carried away will be pissed of when the demo ends after an hour tops lol.

But would be kind of cool if they could implement it in Episode two in some way or later series. Because I really like the extra dimension it gives you in Prey :). I am thinking they release this with Episode 2 to get people accustomized to this portal gun so people then are ready for when it really is time for it to debut in a real game :)

I got chills when I saw it, incredible. So, when is the EP2 with all that stuff is coming out? I can't wait.

and some of you need to read the whole thread first before going on on who ripped who.

Techx said:
People may deny it but it's obvious that the CS/HL/Valve fan_boy's will consistantly bash anything ID/Quake/Doom Engine related, regardless if it's good or not :/

I disagree...

It's just that people can tell the difference between a gimmick and real innovation.

everything's been ripped off at some point in time. it's just a matter if they can make it better.

Back