- Joined
- Oct 29, 2000
- Messages
- 42,406
10 hours+ for a single player game that relies on puzzles and humor(the humor in this game is pure gold BTW, the voice acting is genius and genuine. The bots also feel and look more alive than animated humans) is amazingly good.
I would have to disagree here.
I expect to get more than 10 hours of entertainment out of any game I buy.
Sadly this is the direction Valve has gone with their own titles, and it started once they started releasing the Episodes for HL2.
The original HL2 I got almost 20 hours out of. (according to Steam)
Episode one was over in 3.5 hours and episode 2 in about 5.
I expect to get about 20 hours out of a single player game I pay money for (unless its strategy like the Civilization series, in which hundreds of hours is the expectation. Steam tells me I've played about 200 hours of Civ 4 and about 80 hours of Civ 5)
Multi player games are different. Counter-Strike I must have gotten over a thousand hours out of thus far, but its a guess, as I started playing long before steam started tracking game time. Since they started tracking in mid 2009, I've put in about 150 hours, and I don't play CS even close to as much as I used to when it came out (and I was in college and had all the time in the world
In a way - as much as I would hate it - it almost would almost seem fair if Steam switched to a "pay by hour" scheme rather than a upfront investment model, as that would reward manufacturers of games that last longer...
